Chapter 13 – Nature of the Enemy (Part 1)
946 4 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 13 – Nature of the Enemy.

Agersdene City, the capital of the Kingdom of Avaraline, was still as impressive as always, the wealthiest city in the kingdom and the seat of the royal family. Perched on the ruins of the largest remaining old world city in the kingdom, its terraced landscaping and construction was a wonder of the modern world. Sitting at the highest point was the Palace a’la’Mons, a sprawling affair of stone, metal and glass that had been crafted using parts of buildings from the old world, fused together with magic, and given a flare of the current age. Each generation’s King or Queen would add another feature to it, claiming it as their own and continuing its story.

Starting at one level below that, and occupying almost all of the north western section of the city was the Central Temple of the Sisters of the Radiant Dawn, the heart of the Clan. Formerly home to the largest number of Dragon Riders anywhere in the known world, it had taken generations to finally complete. It’s main temple building was larger than that of the Southern Temple, built with Prime Dragons in mind, not that it had been home to any, which was of course a sore point for the Clan. The complex reflected the opulence of the rest of the city, each building intricately detailed and telling a story, and it had again taken generations to finish.

The three main guildhalls were located on the opposite side of the city, positioned in a triangular pattern on the lowest terrace near the city’s southern wall, the market district spreading out from them. They formed the core of the economic heart of the city, and was always busy, the streets and buildings filled with people all hours of the day. Bordering that were the multiple chambers of the city council and the industrial buildings that ran all day and night processing materials and fulfilling orders. Houses filled in the rest of the city, multiple story apartments on the lower levels, with the estates of the nobles on the higher terraces.

Kyla perched on the back of a bench in the moonlight bathed central square of the market district’s sixth terrace. They were trying to be as discrete as they could while still being able to observe and dig for information, their options somewhat limited by continual sweeps over the city by Riders and the frequent City Guard patrols. The Demon King had extended them an open invitation after all, so they would be expecting them. They just didn’t want to be seen at this point in time. Not that it was actually much of an issue, as most of them weren’t that well known outside of their original circles. The exceptions of course were Ruby, formerly being a Lady Knight, and Melody, who had actively sought fame. Not that either looked quite the same any more, especially Melody. Which could of course work both in their favour and against it, depending on their target audience. They figured that either people would accept the change without question, or assume that she was a close relative who was just as skilled. As long as the Mask’s didn’t discover their presence, as they’d figure it out quick enough.

The statue of the first king, Eduja Avaraline, stood in the middle of the square, looking out over the lower city as a patrol passed underneath him. Given the story that she had heard from Lyrissa on the origin of the kingdoms, Kyla didn’t know how he factored into the birth of the kingdoms, as the hero who had stayed here had founded the Dragon Riders instead. Perhaps he had been a favourite of the first Lady Knight?

A few open stalls were scattered around the edges of the square, late night shoppers pursuing the wares, but the actual feature of this square and the surrounding streets were the numerous inns and taverns, light spilling out of their windows onto the cobbles. If you were visiting the city, and weren’t a noble, then this was the most likely area that you would stay. That made it a hub of information, but everyone knew that. So if you were looking for people in the know, then again this is where you came.

At a glance everything looked the same, but yet at the same time it felt so different. Kyla could feel the darkness that now saturated the city, it’s presence evident everywhere if you knew what to look for. Their ‘trip’ to the city had been less than pleasant, as her walking ability took her through the leylines, and the ones in the vicinity of the city were more than just black. They were seeped in death and darkness, and Kyla had felt sick as she had exited the rift into a back alley nearby. Melody on the other hand hadn’t been effected as much, but she had put that down to her vamperic aspect.

This isn’t usual, is it?’ Fang queried. He was currently tucked away in a nearby alley, looking like one of its many shadows, observing and ready to pounce at a moments notice. Kyla didn’t really know what he could do or what abilities he had, but it turned out that obfuscating his presence was amongst his capabilities.

‘No, it isn’t,’ Kyla replied thoughtfully. ‘But it is exactly as the Riders told us. They were quite proud of it too. Calling it the dawn of a new age.’

The people of the city didn’t quite look the same any more. They were pale, like the Masks were, and every single citizen seemed to possess magic now, even the young children, who she had seen earlier running down the street, creating blacks mists and dark energy while they played. Infatuated with their newly gained power probably. Magic usually awakened when you hit puberty, not when you were five years of age. Energy danced in the citizens eyes, and she had even seen some of the old and infirm striding down the street like they were twenty years younger. She wasn’t sure if the changes had happened to everyone, or just those who weren’t able to use their magic. The skin hue was certainly all inclusive. Irrespective though, the people that she had observed all seemed happy. She didn’t know exactly what had happened here, but it had been on a massive scope, and the wedding hadn’t even occurred yet. That was still weeks away.

They’re not much of a threat,’ Fang observed.

‘No, their not. Their magic power doesn’t seem that strong. Something more than a shard but less than a gem I would say, based on the magic I’ve seen, though Myne would be a better judge of that. Though a huge rioting mob of them could be uncomfortable.’ Kyla paused as a drunk patron was kicked out of a tavern a few doors down. The hairs on her neck prickled and she tensed, bad memories taunting her at the edge of her senses. She relaxed a little as he stumbled away in the opposite direction.

It this really the best place for you to be?’ Fang queried. ‘You’re constantly on edge here.’

‘I’m not who I was then,’ Kyla replied. At times Fang could be very protective of her. ‘Melody reckoned that we should be safe enough here at this hour. Besides, I’ve got you as well.’

That you have.’

Kyla could sense a grin from him, even though she couldn’t see him at the moment.

‘Speaking of her...’

Kyla could hear Melody's entrancing singing emanating from the tavern at her back. She was back on the stage again. Melody couldn’t help herself. She had to perform. But it also worked in their favour, as people were more willing to talk to her afterwards. She had this way with her music and words, and even Kyla herself was in awe of her talents. Those talents, and Kyla’s ability to ‘walk’, were why they were here at the moment. It hadn’t taken Melody much effort to get herself on the stage, passing herself off as her own sister, aptly named Meowldy. Kyla had cringed at the name, but Melody seemed amused at it, who then proceeded to tease Kyla with comments about smooching, which turned Kyla a bright shade of rose. After her initial and very brief confusion about what she had become, Melody had adapted perfectly to being a Cat Feral, almost like she had always been one. And she was the queen of flirting with Kyla, something which Kyla not so secretly enjoyed.

Melody was indeed on the stage of the Three Tap Green Tavern as Kyla made her way in, Melody giving her a seductive wink as she sat off to one side by the door.

Her influential potential is immense,’ Fang commented.

‘No kidding. And she knows it too. You only just picked up on it?’

Just this evening. After all, I knew nothing of her before our return to the Innerlands.’

‘True. Her actual name carries a lot more weight though.’

Having finished her turn, Melody made her way over to Kyla, sitting close as a Troubadour took the stage. His performance was poor compared to Melody’s, reinforced by the rise in background chatter as he performed.

“The poor man,” Kyla teased. “You’ve ruined his career.”

Melody shrugged, a playful grin on her face, absently walking her fingers along Kyla’s leg. “He just needs to get better. His lyrics are okay I guess, but his music needs a lot of work.”

“On a more serious note,” she continued, looking thoughtful. “It appears that all of the Masks are in town, with the exception of Byron. Water is here, which is unusual, as she is usually with Byron.”

“For the wedding?”

Melody nodded. “That would be the assumption.”

“Learn anything new?”

“Little that we didn’t already know,” Melody answered. “Everyone here is in good spirits, and is very talkative. They seem oblivious to all the deaths that have occurred outside of the capital, drunk in their assumed privilege and safety. But that was how we had originally set it all up, and they seemed to be carrying it through, almost as if he decided to change his plans at some point. Or he just has never trusted me. The Cult of Dark Light is quickly gaining momentum, even with those outside of the capital. It’s terrifying what people are willing to believe. They’re also calling Zorthac the Night Crown. They know it’s the Demon King that Queen Katherine is going to wed, but the descriptions don’t quite fit. Something is off with respect to that, but we’ll find out soon enough I guess exactly what it is. The citizens are looking at everything in quite a rosy light. It is a lust for power, or just plain brainwashing? Even I wasn’t that stupid.”

“Alice’s worst fears may be right on the mark?” Kyla definitely wasn’t happy with the current situation.

“Yes. Speaking of her, someone has been openly asking after her.”

“Do you know who?” Kyla asked, before she suddenly felt on edge again, her senses going wild.

Incoming.’

The door to tavern slammed opened, a big burly man walking in, his footfalls heavy with purpose. He looked dishevelled, his skin a sleek black, his body leaking corrupted power. And even from here the stench of alcohol was strong.

“I was right,” he rasped loudly. “It’s coming from here. I smell ‘em. Cats.”

The man turned, facing Kyla and Melody directly, a wicked grin on his face.

“Found you!” he declared.

“#%$#” Kyla shot to standing, fear almost taking her over. That was Erragon!

“Settle down love,” Melody said, placing a reassuring hand on Kyla’s shoulder, calming her down. “Let him make the first move. We have the edge after all.”

Kyla took a deep breath. There was a reason they were sitting here after all.

The patrons scattered from around the Mask of Black as he started making his way towards them, going through everything in his way, and occasionally stumbling.

“It’s payback time,” Erragon growled, throwing a patron aside who was too slow to move. The tavern was the sound of panicked silence, the Troubadour having long since stopped playing and made for cover. He’d been sensible.

That was their cue.

They dived out the window of the tavern, glass showering around them as the rolled on the cobble stones and then pelted down the street.

“Is this going to ruin your image?” Kyla asked as they ran.

“Nothing that I can’t handle.” Melody answered, though her expression didn’t quite match her expressed optimism.

A thunderous crash resounded from behind them as Erragon forwent the use of the door, opting for a more direct exit. Straight through the wall. What sort of monster had he become. Mind you, he always had been one.

“Here kitty kitty,” Erragon taunted from behind, his eyes glowing.

Kyla stumbled briefly, the shadows seeming to bite at her ankles.

“Oh crap.”

Melody leapt free as shadows grabbed at her feet and tried to throw her across the street, rolling and turning to face their pursuer.

“You’re not the only creature of the night,” she purred.

‘Change of plans,’ Kyla though desperately to Fang. Melody had never been a fighter, and as far as she knew nothing there had changed.

A flash of silver streaked past Kyla, slamming straight into Erragon.

‘As you wish.’ They hadn’t been far from Fang’s hiding spot, though they had hoped to have gotten past it. Shadow manipulation was a new one. What exactly had the Demon King done to the bruiser?

Erragon grunted with the impact, taking a step back as Fang skidded to a halt off to the side, bounding back in and raking him with his claws. Erragon blocked with his arms, apparently oblivious to gouges from the attack.

The plan was just to leave wasn’t it?

That it was. Even with Fang here a battle wasn’t part of their plan. Concentrating, she visualized a rift. Opening portals that involved the capital were a lot more difficult, the corrupted leylines required a lot more effort. If normal leylines were like water then the corrupted ones here were like treacle.

The shadows grabbed at Fang as Erragon punched him, the impact resounding down the street. Fang growled, breaking free and lunging at the bruiser, his jaws barely missing his head as his claws tore off Erragon’s chest armour. Erragon stumbled back, the shadows grabbing Fang again as Erragon punched him again in the same spot, the side plates under the blow buckling as Fang was pushed back. Fang growled as he lunged back at the Mask, jaws latching onto Erragon and stumbling him off to the side, blood splattering onto the cobblestones.

There was a faint tear in the air just behind Kyla as a rift opened.

‘He’s like a sack of concrete, with the strength of a Golem,’ Fang stated, shaking himself free from the shadows and racing back towards Kyla.

Kyla grabbed Melody, and they sprinted to the rift, jumping through as Fang reached them, the shadows unsuccessfully clawing at them as Erragon tried to give chase. He was far too slow, his scream of rage cut out as the rift closed.

‘And as slow as one too.”


 

Now this is a surprise.”

“Kyla, make another rift. Now.” There was a sense of urgency to Melody’s voice. And panic.

They hadn’t ended up where she had planned. The Academia de Magica this was not. Kyla looked around her as she started to pull the magic together again for another rift. This place had the vibe of the old world, but was in a similar state to the ruins, with floating lights illuminating the chamber in which they stood. A group of figures stood clustered at one end, shocked at their arrival. Young boys and girls, all probably about their age, standing around a ritualistic circle. The speaker however had left the group and was walking towards them. He was a handsome looking man, also looking about their age, with red eyes, a tarnished crown sitting on his head. He seemed strangely alluring...

Imminent threat detected. Engaging.

‘Huh?’

Permission to use all weapons please.’

‘Umm... Sure.’ Kyla was confused as to what exactly was going on, the bulk of her concentration on creating the portal. She could feel Melody’s unease getting worse, and it was driving her to focus on the requested task. She wasn’t exactly sure what had happened, as she hadn’t messed up with the portals before, but she had no intention of repeating that mistake.

You’ve changed, little one. And you’ve brought along something quite interesting.

“Hurry up please.” Melody was almost pleading now. Even as she had been near dying, Kyla had never heard Melody this fearful.

A whirring sound sprang to life from behind Kyla as flashes of light slammed into the advancing man, tearing into his flesh. He shrugged, waving his hand, the wounds disappearing in an instance, one of the young men screaming out in agony and collapsing, blood pooling out under him. The noise intensified, more flashes impacting, only for the wounds to disappear from the man as more of the younger figures collapsed.

He’s redirecting the damage somehow. Attempting to use secondary weapons. Melody is right. We need to leave.’

More shots. More death.

Such animosity child.” The handsome man shook his head is mock disappointment.

Side Vulcan unusable due to armour damage. Repairs needed. Attempting to activate mana cannon.’ Fang actually sounded a bit concerned as well.

The man smiled as he continued to advance. Kyla could feel his presence clawing at her mind, trying to convince her to stop, and to stay. He couldn’t be that bad could he? She shook the thoughts free, no letting up on her task at hand. The man felt wrong, and her instincts were starting to match Melody’s terror, who was holding onto Kyla’s arm tightly, claws subconsciously digging into her flesh and helping her concentrate.

Mana cannon unusable due to corruption in leyline. This is not an ideal situation at all. Will need to modify weapons.’

Fang growled.

The rift opened up behind them, Melody pulling Kyla and leaping through the instant it stabilized, Fang following behind, his primary weapon still blazing till he was through.

Kyla collapsed on the ground, drenched in sweat and heart pounding, as the rift closed behind them. Melody sat beside her, still holding her tightly and shaking, causing blood to continue to run down Kyla’s arm.

“What just happened?” Kyla asked.

“That, was the Demon King...”

That was one encounter that Kyla and Melody did not want to have.

But it did answer a few questions.

And create a whole lot more.

Thanks as always for reading :)

31