Chapter 14 – Dawn Weaver
819 4 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 14 – Dawn Weaver.

For all the talk of it being a surface battle, Velvet was currently stuck trudging through the depths of the Old City. Or more precisely, Izen was, and she was hating every minute of it. She had voiced her opinion about it when they had discussed it, but even then she had been well aware that there was little option in the end. It was something that only she could do. It wasn’t the task itself either that was the problem, but rather she was currently having to be male.

As Velvet she was quite well known to a number of the Masks, and probably to the Demon King as well, infiltrating as her former male side meant that she was less likely to be recognized if she was spotted. Not that there were many people down here. It also had the added bonus of muting her magical signature, which was actually the more important part. The Demon King would sense it and know that she was there, especially since all of her training over the last three weeks had made it that much stronger, and right now she could do without being discovered. This part needed to be done without him being aware, and time was of the essence. They couldn’t have started it too early, as the risks were too great that it would end up being undone or stopped, and if she was late then Myne was going to have a lot of difficulty. Or worse. She had been surprised to find out that staying in the male form had negligible effect on her dragons. Light had made the excuse that that was because she was a lot stronger and more confident in her magic now, but Velvet actually suspected that it had just been Light trying to get her used to the inevitable. She didn’t blame Light at all, after all Light was a part of Velvet, and she was quite happy with what she had become.

They had spent the last few days going over the plan in excruciating detail. Arnold had come back to them with a lot of information, of which Kyla and Melody had clarified the vital bits of via another quick visit to the capital. Kyla had come back from Odinsphere a lot more confident in her magic, and had offered to make the trip. They hadn’t run into any Masks, as they had taken extra precautions to make sure that they didn’t. Today though would be a different story. Alice, or perhaps it had been Lyrissa (maybe she should start calling her Alysia? It was hard at times to know who was speaking), was very good at planning, and everyone knew their role. The plan was dependant on outside influences of course, and things didn’t always go as planned, but they had made as many contingencies as they could, and they would make it work. They had to. This was going to be the only chance they got, and like it or not the future was riding on their shoulders.

At the moment Velvet was the only one in the capital, with Light riding on her shoulder as always. The others would arrive in a little while, and Ashling would inform her when they did so, but given the extra travelling that she had to do, she had be forced to start quite a bit earlier.

If it hadn’t been for the circumstances, Velvet would have found the walk captivating. The old world was something to behold, and even in its ruined state it held a mystifying beauty. There was so much to explore and discover down here, and if she ever got the chance, she would come back. She knew it was one of the things that she wanted to do with her life, since she had first discovered the ruined temple just after her awakening. But unfortunately, right now, she was just focusing on reaching her destination.

The outer sections of the Old City, those closer to the surface, were in the worse condition, erosion from natural forces combined with pillaging from scavengers leaving it as just a shell of what it once was. As she got deeper in however the condition improved, some areas looking untouched from the age of the Great War. Lighting was poor in many of the areas that she walked through, so she was using a magical lantern than Alice had made. It was also pretty much vacant of any other life, apart from a few pockets of Dark Light cult members that she made sure to avoid. According to Arnold there were those who had decided that now was the time to start reclaiming the Old City, and others who just wanted some privacy to experiment with their newfound magic. Either way, they did not become aware of her.

Her destination was Zorthac’s throne room, the focal point of the magical rituals that he had created, as well as the home of the demon pit. It was located in the depths of the Old City, and probably had some other purpose when it was originally built over a millennia ago. There was a much shorter route to it, the one that the Masks had always used, but it wasn’t a path that Velvet could take. Beside the risk of running into one of the Masks, the entrance for that route was currently heavily guarded and there was no way past them without being seen. Kyla also couldn’t take her there directly. They had experimented with her magic, but as Kyla had expected, only those bonded to her could walk through her rifts. Everyone else just passed by them as if they weren’t there.

Approaching it from the outside, the structure was impressive, and also at odds with what was around it. While the adjacent buildings had what Lyrissa had referred to as a modern look, the Demon King’s abode had a more ancient look, intricate columns holding up a squat roof of sharp angles. Numerous stone gargoyles adorned the perimeter of the building, rows of the columns encompassing the black stone walls that encased the building’s interior. Two stone statues stood on either side of the small door in the middle, one a man in fairly simplistic armour with a spear and shield, the other a mostly naked man with a jackal's head, holding onto an odd looking curved sceptre. She knew it was the right place, oppressive darkness seeping out from it. Adjusting her clothes, which she would soon be happily rid of, Velvet went up the small flight of stairs and entered it.

“You’re late. He’s already left.”

Velvet had almost made it to the centre of the structure when the feminine voice rang out. She recognized it instantly. Lady Knight Sorene. Though she did not deserve that title any more. Velvet looked up from where she had been walking, stopping halfway across a massive chasm that lay at the entrance to the throne room. She could feel magic sleeping deep below, as well as some dark magic swirling alongside it. The Demon Pit that Melody had mentioned.

“That’s not why I am here,” Velvet simply replied.

Sorene suddenly looked confused. She was standing by the throne, sword out and ready for battle. She just had a dragon bone weapon though, with the Soulrender nowhere in sight. She must have lost the right to use it. In place of her severed limb was a coalescing mass of black energy that was trying to take the shape of what was missing. She still had the burn scars on her face. Sorene had lost a lot in that last encounter.

“Wait. Who are you?” Sorene questioned.

Having never seen Velvet in her male form, she had no idea who she actually was.

“Oh, just someone of circumstance.” Velvet grinned, as she continued to cross the bridge.

Sorene started at her, scowling.

“Why do you have that cursed girl’s pet?”

She had finally noticed Light. It had taken her long enough, given that Velvet didn’t have her long hair at the moment for Light to squirrel away under.

“Now that would be an interesting question, wouldn’t it.” Velvet couldn’t help herself.

“You’ll pay for your insolence boy,” Sorene growled, raising her hand as two wolf like demons appeared beside her. “Finish him off.”

The two wolf demons charged towards her as she walked off the bridge and stepped to the side, the void behind her.

Velvet waited till the two demons were almost on her.

‘Now’.

Light flashed brightly, temporarily blinding the demons as Velvet dashed to the side, tortured screams echoing up the walls of the void as the two demons raced over its edge and plummeted down.

“How dare you!” screamed Sorene in rage.

Velvet shrugged. “You should have come at me yourself.”

 

Incoming.’

That was Ashling’s signal. She was well and truly out of time now.

A burst of light flowed out from Velvet as she reverted back to her true form, the change almost instantaneous as her body-shape, hair and features changed back to their female version, Velvet summoning her armour and dress at the same time. She smiled with satisfaction. It was good to be herself again.

“You’re her!” Sorene swore.

“What, you didn’t pick that up from Light’s presence?” Velvet couldn’t help herself. But it was time to end this. “You might have had a chance had you still had his sword, but it seems you’ve fallen out of his favour.”

“I’m more than enough for the likes of you,” Sorene sneered. There was a hint a fear in her voice though.

Velvet activated all of her reinforcement tattoos, of which she now had even more. Her body glowed brightly, streaks of energy coursing over her it. Her hair, now composed of golden flame, floated behind her, horns of light appearing on her head and wings of light on her back. The Avatar of Dawn, with her signature scythe in her hands. Sorene looked shocked, taking a step back, the little colour in her face draining away. While Velvet had learned a lot in the last three weeks, she still leaked some magic, though not as much as before, and Sorene would be able to sense a small measure of her true power.

Vanishing from where she was standing, Velvet appeared directly in front of Sorene, blade slicing cleanly through her before she even had the chance to react, Velvet then disappearing again, the next blow coming from behind before she then reappeared again in front of Sorene, scythe resting by her side, blood dripping down its blade.

“This is the end for you.” Velvet stated quietly, as Sorene collapsed to her knees, her sword clattering to the ground as blood poured out of her wounds. “Though your debt may never be paid.”

Sorene coughed up blood, as she struggled to move but failed, her body no longer responding.

“Curse you!” Sorene gurgled, trying desperately to hold on before the life fully faded from her eyes. Her body then slumped forward onto the ground, lifeless.

Velvet walked to the middle of the room as she let her magics fade, ghostly images of her horns and wings remaining as she reached her destination. She stared around her, before taking a deep breath and releasing a new tattoo that sat on the back of her neck. She still had a job to finish. Fiery white magic flowed down and out from her, an intricate and complex ritualistic circle taking form on the ground as it grew out from her.

‘I’m sorry I’m running a tad late Myne,’ she thought silently to herself.

Don’t worry, she’s doing fine.’ Light reassured her.


 

Myne knew exactly where the Demon King was. While she did have her battle sensing magic active, but even without it she would have been able to tell. His presence was that strong.

“We’re up,” she declared as she jumped off Ashling’s back, letting herself free-fall down onto the main temple building of the Radiant Temple, Ruby following just behind her. Ironic. It had all begun in one of the Clan’s great temples, and it would finish in the same way. But she did have to commend Zorthac for choosing that location for the wedding, as it was certainly appropriate. The circling Riders were starting to react, but they were much to slow and unobservant. Ashling would have fun dealing with them.

The roof of the temple exploded in a shower of tiles and splinters, Myne smashing into the spot where the Demon King had just been, the now very young looking and handsome Prince Zorthac having taken a step back. He had of course sensed her descent. Myne knew that the building was packed with wedding guests, as well as at least three other Masks, Water, Byron and Katherine, her battle sense having told her as much, but she did not take the time to look at all. Her focus was the Demon King, her hair taking on the aspect of her hellfire as she became the true Avatar of Hellfire, laying straight into him. Her flames were hungry, and the others would deal with the rest.

“I hope we’re not interrupting anything,” Myne stated sarcastically, the wall behind the Demon King disintegrating as Myne’s fist impacted with him, liquid stone dripping to the floor.

Not at all. If anything you’re a little early.” The Demon King grinned, the hole in his chest disappearing as screams echoed from the other end of the makeshift auditorium, accompanied by the sickening sound of blood splattering the walls.

“Let us dance then, former groom.” Myne did not slow, her next blow also taking out the wall of the Riders dorms. The Demon King shrugged that off as well.

Do you not care for all the lives that are ending?” The Demon King taunted.

“No.”

In truth tho she did. It would have been much easier to just engulf the entire venue in one go at the onset. In particular they would have been able to get a gauge on the extent of his redirection range as well, but wholesale massacre wasn’t her thing. The death toll could still end up high today, as not everything was in their control.

‘Come on Velvet. It’s all up to you.’

She’s started already.’ Ashling replied.


 

“Heh heh. Hello Kitties.”

Kyla’s skin crawled as Erragon advanced on them, his eyes wide with whatever twisted emotions were currently running through him. The three other Riders that were stationed with him at the front entrance of the wedding location had summoned their weapons, but hadn’t moved yet, waiting to see if the two Cat Feral’s who had suddenly appeared out of nowhere were actually a threat. Erragon was a Mask after all, and one would assume that if they were, he’d be able to deal with them. Door duty was kind of fitting for Erragon though. Kyla was pretty certain that he wasn’t the brightest person around.

If it had been any other day she would have been standing in awe at the beauty of the Radiant Temple complex, the buildings and gardens pure works of art, but they currently didn’t have that luxury, and much of it would probably not remain afterwards. Which was a pity, but unavoidable. They also needed to deal with these ones as quickly as possible, as once Myne started fighting the entire area would not be safe. Kyla had seen first hand what she was capable of, and now she was even better.

There was the sound of a massive explosion as Myne went through the roof of the temple, debris raining down on them. The Riders looked startled, their gaze going upwards as Ashling’s shadow covered them. Erragon on the other hand seemed to have a one tracked mind. Typical.

Don’t worry. He’s mine.

Melody took a step backwards, disappearing through the just created rift to reappear behind one of the distracted Riders. She wasn’t a fighter, but apparently some of Byron had rubbed off on her for all the time that she had spent working with him. The Rider collapsed to the ground silently as their dragon howled out in fury and sadness, it’s form already starting to fade. By the time the other two Riders managed to look at what had happened, fear on their faces, Melody was back beside Kyla again.

Erragon’s advance was halted as flashes of light tore into him, Fang appearing off to the edge, his weapon blazing. The bruiser growled as he staggered and turned to face the wolf, blood flowing down his body. Seemingly oblivious to his wounds, he charged forward.

“It’s you again. The little ones protector huh. You’re just a toy.”

He’s more a toy then me.’ Fang intoned, side plates shifting as two more guns appeared, barrels rotating as more shards of metal tore into Erragon. Whatever reinforcement magic Erragon had, it wasn’t enough to stop Fang’s barrage, nor was he fast or smart enough to get out of the way. He collapsed to the ground well before he made it to Fang.

Was that it? What a waste. I didn’t even need the upgrades.’ Fang shook his head as his weapons retracted inside him.

The other two Riders didn’t stick around to see what would happen, leaping on their mounts and taking to the sky. Which wasn’t the best idea, Ashling sending them careening back down again. But by that time the area was clear, the Feral’s and Fang having already left. Soon though it would be filled with panicking wedding guests and Myne’s all consuming flames.


 

“I thought you’d be the guest of honour at the wedding.”

Tempest turned to look at them as four figures walked into the his office. Who were these people? Most of the guild members were either at the wedding or out on other matters, except for those guarding the front door. There was a Wolf Feral, a Dog Feral, another Feral which he couldn’t quite place, (a Lizard perhaps?), and a fairly nondescript but homely looking lady. Something was unsettling about her though. The way she was holding herself said don’t mess with me, or it’ll be the last thing you do. Obviously misplaced confidence. Did she not know who she was dealing with?

“Such matters are not my thing,” Tempest replied plainly, his face not betraying any of his thoughts. He had other matters to attend to. Surely they weren’t that stupid. His appearance was quite deceiving, and while he looked like nothing more than a wiry middle aged clerk, he was anything but. He was the Mask of Earth after all, and he currently controlled the Fall Haven Guild, having removed all of those who had contested him.

“I’ll have you leave thanks. I have important business to attend to,” he then continued.

“For the sake of the Kingdom, we need the Guild back,” the lady said bluntly.

Tempest looked at her as if she had said something incomprehensible.

“And who might you be?” he queried.

“Oh, just a lady of circumstance.” The lady gave an amused smile as she said it, the expression grating to him.

Tempest looked thoughtful for a minute, recognition crossing his face.

“Ah, you must be Alice. The one who was being searched for. I see.” He shook his head. “You have made a mistake in coming here, especially with such small numbers.”

While he knew of the name, he didn’t actually know much about her, other than that she was from the Bluemoon branch. But that must mean that one of the other captains was still alive. Probably Arnold, which he should have guessed. He’d have to rectify that in the coming days. But no matter. This group had already taken up too much of his time, and he’d already put in place measures to deal with those who sought to get in his way.

“Today you die,” Tempest declared, he eyes glowing with demonic fire as he remained standing behind his desk.

The floor erupted beside the group, two lizard-like demons bursting out, teeth and claws tearing at them.

The Wolf Feral blocked the attack of one of the demons with his shield as he was pushed back slightly, the shield bursting to life in an explosion of fire, throwing the demon against the wall near Tempest, books tumbling to the floor. While the Wolf Feral had a warhammer strapped to his back, there wasn’t enough space in the office for him to be using his chosen weapon. The demon would kill him soon enough. The Wolf Feral then shifted position, moving against one of the two outer walls of the room as the demon recovered itself, howled, and charged back into him. Except it appeared to misjudge, instead smashing through the window there, a four story fall greeting it. Tourin scowled. The other demon seemed to be faring no better, appearing to be stumbling around drunk, its attacks all missing the Dog Feral as he danced away from its claws. Tempest stood looking at the scene dumbfounded. He’d never seen the demons perform so badly.

“I’m sorry, we really do need to take it back,” Alice said in a soft voice from beside him.

Tempest looked down at her, confusion on his face as his body suddenly felt weak, realizing too late that there was already a dagger sticking out of his chest. He collapsed to his chair, trying to call the dark powers to him, but his mind was foggy, and he couldn’t quite remember how. What had they done to him? Then everything went black.


 

Ruby landed near to Myne, pews careening into the walls. It had been a while since she had last been in this temple, but she never thought she be back here in this capacity. Myne’s flames were hot, but they didn’t bother her. One of the benefits of her been part of Myne’s bloodline as it were was that she had a partial immunity to them. Which was very useful when fighting alongside her, as at time the hellfire could be indiscriminate. The guests were in panic, rushing to the exits and trying to flee. Ruby even recognized some of them, her heart heavy. But they had chosen their fate when they had decided to be under the banner of the Demon King, and there was nothing that she could do for them now. Their lives were in fates hands, more people dying with each blow that Myne landed on the Demon King. Well, actually in Velvet’s too, but she was sure that the child of dawn was moving as quickly as she could.

It didn’t take her long to spot the Queen, flanked by two figures as they stood off to the side. They hadn’t tried leaving yet, obviously confident that they were going to win. A man who looked like a head servant, which was probably Byron by the descriptions that she had been given, and a Rider which she did not recognize. That must be Water. For a moment it looked like Bryon was going to move to engage her, but then he stopped as the Demon King raised a hand, three demons appearing in front of her. Apparently he wasn’t fully engaged in his fight with Myne. Ruby shrugged. These demons would be easy enough to avoid.


 

Velvet glowed intensely, her ritualistic inscriptions covering the entirety of the chamber, pulsating slowly. Her magic flowed freely, swirling and dancing as it mingled with that of the leyline. The corruption was much more extensive than they had realized, and while it wasn’t anything that she couldn’t deal with, the backlash would be a lot stronger. But it had to be done.

Tears rolled down her cheeks as she closed her eyes, the circles flaring to life.


 

The Demon King scowled suddenly, his eyes going intense, his movements halting. Myne didn’t waste the opportunity, another blow landing, taking out one of his demons as well that Ruby had lured into the crossfire. The Demon King waved away the damage, and while the temple was empty of life, she could just make out the resulting scream from outside.

This is unfortunate.” he stated. “Daughter it is time.

Two flashes of black energy rush out of him, one into the sky, the other flowing into the Mask of Water.

Then the world was awash in light, bright beams of magic piercing out through the ground everywhere as the earth itself seemed to glow. Myne could feel Velvet’s warmth in it. She had succeeded. She had managed to purify the leylines surround the capital. Myne grinned. The battle was now theirs. She returned her focus to the Demon King. He was still smiling, but now he had the Soulrender in his hand. He was finally getting serious, and if they were right, he would no longer be able to redirect his damage.

The remainder of the wall behind the Demon King disintegrated as a massive dragon appeared through it. Not quite the size of Velvet’s but getting there, it body a mass of swirling dark energy. The dragon roared, flames streaming into Myne as it grabbed the Queen, Water and Byron, before then taking to the air. Myne blocked the dragon’s flames with her own, dodging Zorthac’s attack as he began his assault on her.

Yes, let us dance then, child of flame,” The demon king intoned.

‘Can you stop them from leaving please Ashling?’ Myne asked, dodging another swing as she took stock of the situation with her sensing magic.

Sorry, currently dealing with another one out here, and it’s bigger.’

A massive crash confirmed Ashling’s excuse as two dragons took out another section of the Rider’s dorms. But her magic was showing her the same thing. The first was one already almost of out the city boundaries, something similar to Amber’s dragon. The second wasn’t stable, but it was serving its purpose.

Myne frowned, parrying the Soulrender and returning her focus to the Demon King.

“Have you given up?” She asked, as the Demon King blocked her attack, not that did much good, the shockwave still tearing through him. He was finally using his full defensive magic, his body pulsating as much of the damage was deflected.

Not at all.”

Myne intensified her flames, resuming her assault as they exchanged blows, Zorthac blocking hers while she parried his. The damage however was still being done. Bit by bit she was pushing him back, his body looking more and more worse for the wear and like his old self as the structures of the Radiant Temple melted and crumbled around them. It seemed almost too easy, and she was barely being hurt at all. Surely he was capable of more than this.

Then suddenly it was over, Soulrender dropping to the ground as the hellfire took ahold of the Demon King, his body engulfed in the flames, collapsing to the ground.

Till we meet again.”

The Demon King’s body exploded in a mass of energy, and then faded away, till nothing remained. No body, no blade. Myne stood, her magic confirming that he was indeed gone, no trace remaining, the battlefield suddenly silent for a moment, before another section of masonry crashed to the ground.

You’ve done it!’ Ashling congratulated.

Myne looked up in his direction, the dragon that he had been fighting also fading away, a manifestation of the Demon King that could no longer survive with the absence of its master.

A cool breeze blew past Myne, her hair moving in response, as she let her flames die away.

“I guess so. For the moment at least.”

She was however starving now.

No comments here this time round. I'm saving them for the epilogue, which will be up shortly.

Thanks for reading :)

27