Chapter 32: Howling Commandos
199 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One week later.

After spending a week in the hospital, Jack couldn't stand the strong smell of disinfectant anymore, so he checked out early on the eighth day.

Jack's injuries had already improved much. This amazed the doctors, as even if that kind of injury was treated, it would still take several months of recovery. Yet, Jackng managed to recover in just over ten days.

.....

When Jack returned to the Strategic Science Corps' secret base, Phillip immediately called him over without a chance to rest. "Welcome back to the team, Major Wayne," Phillip said.

"Major?" Jack was taken aback, then his face lit up with surprise. "I've finally been promoted?"

It wasn't easy. Although he had repeatedly performed well in battle since becoming a captain, his rank had not been promoted. Now, he had finally earned his promotion through hard work, which meant a better life was calling to him. It was hard not to be happy about it.

As a Major, he would finally be able to sit in an office like Philip.

However, Philip's next sentence woke him up from his idyllic daydream.

"Next, you will work with Captain Rogers to destroy Hydra's base across Europe!"

"What?!"

The sentence was like a bucket of cold water poured over Jack, shattering his dream of enjoying his new rank and the comfortable life that came with it.

"Captain Rogers has requested it, and the higher-ups have agreed. The intelligence you brought back includes the locations of various bases." said Colonel Philips

"The Allied forces are concerned that Hydra will relocate their base in advance, so they're asking us to take them down quickly and accurately!"

"Is there a problem, Major Wayne?" Philips also said

"...No, sir." Jack Replied

"Great."

Feeling disheartened, Jack came out of the office and let out a deep sigh.

"Sir!"

"Hmm?"

Jack turned his head and saw Steve, wearing a military uniform, looking at him expectantly. "Did you agree to join the Howling Commandos?"

"The Howling Commandos... I don't like the name, but it doesn't matter." Jack patted Steve's shoulder and turned to leave.

They were going to attack the Hydra's base tomorrow, so they needed to prepare and get Howard ready with some weapons and equipment.

As he arrived at Howard's laboratory and pushed open the door, he saw Howard buried in his experiment with a machine. Just as Jack was about to call out to him, there was a sudden loud sound...

BOOM!

The machine suddenly exploded, sending Howard flying three meters away. Luckily, the explosion wasn't too powerful.

"Quick, quick, write it down!" Despite looking messy, Howard's face showed an excited expression as if he had just discovered something fascinating.

Jack walked over and looked at the broken machine. "What are you up to?"

"It's something that Rogers brought back. I think it's the reason for Hydra's advanced weaponry and technology," Howard replied.

Howard wiped his face and continued reading notes in the assistant's notebook. After a while, he looked at Jack, "Oh, congratulations on your promotion!"

"Don't mention it. Even with the promotion, I still have to work hard," Jack waved his hand and sat down at a nearby table, "But let's not talk about that. How is the weapon you were making?"

"Right, almost forgot! Wait a moment." Howard threw down the notebook and rummaged around the corner of the lab. After a brief search, he returned with a long weapon case and threw it in front of Jack before running off to freshen up.

Jack didn't pay attention to Howard and opened the case. Inside was a sleek black sniper rifle, somewhat resembling a Mosin Nagant, but with a magazine.

Aside from the sniper, there was a scope, and his attention was mostly focused on the scope, which was even more expensive than the sniper itself.

In the movies, the Cross can shoot a precise shot at an enemy from half a city away!

However, this technique has many limitations. It requires special firearms, bullets, telescopes, and even gunpowder.

Of course, Jack did not expect to achieve the same skill level as in the movies. Even if he had extraordinary abilities, the technology of this era could not produce the special equipment he needed.

"How's the gun?" Howard appeared out of nowhere, wiping water stains off a clean towel.

Looking at the sniper rifle in the box, he couldn't help but feel proud. "Your requirements are very strict, and I added some vibranium which will meet your needs!"

"Alright, alright," Jack chuckled, then asked, "Vibranium, Let me guess, it's from Wakanda?"

"Colonel Phillips told you, huh? Yes, it was a gift from the king of Wakanda to the United States. After testing, it was found to be a special metal brought from a meteorite."

Howard continued: "I bought it from the military and then added some other earthly metal elements to make it into an alloy. I call it vanadium alloy. Most of it was used to make shields for Rogers, but I intentionally added some to your gun."

"Thank you!" Jack patted Howard's arm, closed the door, and walked away.

As he walked to the door, he remembered something and turned back to ask: "By the way, have you made the bullets I requested?"

"It's almost done. Gunpowder has been created, but the main problem is the casing. But it's almost there!"

He then focused on his research without paying attention to Jack's departure.

The casing he needed was difficult to make with the technology of this era. Even Howard was a bit troubled!

After all, those were casing made to increase the pain dealt compared to standard shots.

5