Chapter 2 – The City of Wealth
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The city of Agar is one of the busiest states in Valantis. As the hub for financial discussion and home to one of the largest gold mines on the Luna, it is one of the most valuable states in all of Luna. It has a rich and unique culture which is primed around education and financial management of the nation. The buildings that peak high above the clouds are made of more gold than one's eye could believe. Their wealth is so vast that the majority of buildings emerging throughout the city are tipped with finials made completely out of the excess gold generated by the city.

Currently, the city is run by the Morcos family, namely Ammon Morcos and his wife Orlaena Morcos, placed in power over the City of Wealth by the Adire family centuries ago for their impeccable financial management. Their family guided Valantis in maintaining financial stability during the chaos of developing their independence after the Great rebellion.

"Stop right there!", echoes through the quiet yet busy streets, hailing from a patrolman sprinting through the crowded sidewalk in a navy blue coat and top hat. Not too far ahead of the patrolman is the assailant, who is slowly increasing the distance as he gradually gains pace, weaving his way through the crowd.

The patrolman reaches for a hand sized, silver device strapped to his waist and raises it to his mouth.

"I have eyes on Kalan Musa. Requesting back up in-", He falls short of breath, now feeling fatigued.

"In street twelve-thirteen,"

A moment after the request, the assailant, Kalan, takes a sharp right turn and vanishes beyond the Patrolman's line of sight. "He's just gone into the construction site of street twelve-twelve", He reports as he starts to slow down. The patrolman comes to a complete stop before taking the turn into the street Kalan went to, and draws his sword from the sheath on his waist, assuming a cautious stance.

Taking slow, nearly silent steps, the patrolman slowly turns the corner using his sword as his look-out before he steps out into the alleyway in a quick lunge, to meet emptiness... All that he sees around him is rubble and dust. All he hears is the ambiance of street chatter, motor vehicles tooting by in the distance and the light hiss of the wind as it flows through the alleyway.

"You're quite poor at your job, no?" whispers the air as a figure drops behind the imperial officer, cornering him in the now closed off alleyway.

"I have back up on the way. Surrender your weapon, Kalan." commands the officer, pointing his blade towards the young man.

A young man with milk chocolate skin, dreadlocks draping over most of his ears and a confidence that can be seen clearly through his bright blue eyes, stands in front of the Officer. Dressed in a navy blue, almost hooded cloak with a white cardigan. He has two daggers strapped to either side of his waist, both made of bright steel, giving the blades a pearl-esque resemblance along with their navy blue handles.

"I'd rather not, sir." Responds Kalan, with his hands half heartedly raise to the air. The imperial officer starts etching closer to him, his blade drawn as the first point of contact with the young man if he chooses not to cooperate.

"I'm giving you one last chance or I will use force."

"I'm afraid I don't respond very well to force..." With a quick vault, the officer lunges with his blade at Kalan, striking with a swift force but only connecting with the air where Kalan previously stood. The guard immediately follows his attack with a slash that Kalan evades as if he had spare time to do so. He repeats his initial strike at Kalan, who continues to parry the combination attempted by the officer.

Kalan chuckles, as he successfully makes some distance from the officer. The two separate as the officer finds his breath.

"My turn?" Kalan asks in his cocky, Valantian accent.

He then draws his two daggers from either side of his waist, and takes a sophisticated, yet clearly skillful stance, facing off with the officer.

"you've become quite the nuisance." says the officer as he returns his blade into its sheath.

"You speak as if you know me." Kalan replies.

"I do." murmurs the officer right before a swell of six more officers take position behind Kalan, all with their swords drawn and positioned to block Kalan's exit from the construction site.

Kalan drops his daggers, raises his hands in the air and smiles at the officer.

"Maybe one day, we will get to finish our duel."

Kalan smirks as his hands are linked behind his back and the newly arrived guards start escorting him out of the alley.

The guard ignores his as a sergeant approaches the patrolman who initiated the arrest of Kalan, and gives him a weary look.

"Good thing we got here in time." chuckes the sergeant.

"Saved my life, sir." The patrolman responds, watching Kalan as he's taken away.

 

"The Luna Viper is a dangerous serpent of immense speed, agility and striking power. Crafted by the gods to be a predator of the sands. Curiously however, it is easily softened by one thing alone... love... Kill a vipers life bond, and you've killed two vipers." - Prophet Origi.

In the depths of the night, as the town lays in rest, a young girl with sun kissed skin, short black hair and deep blue eyes makes her way up a spiral staircase leading to a single door at its pinnacle. She's dressed in the royal armour of the house Morcos that's made of bright steel, resembling the same pearl-esque appearance of Kalans daggers.

The armour is made up of two pieces and sheathed to her left is a bright steel sword. One portion of the armour covers from her feet up to her waist, acting as shoes and pants, whilst the second piece is a breastplate of the same material, engraved with the image of an Owl.

The sigil of the Morcos family.

The young woman makes her way to the top of the stairs and knocks on the door found at its peak.

"Enter." Says a booming voice from beyond the door. She enters a large library-like room filled with books all around, swords propped on podiums for display and a desk placed in the centre. The ground tiled in the image of the family sigil, coloured by royal blue and gold.

At the desk sits a balding, middle aged man wearing an emperor blue suit with beautiful Valantian fractal designs, concealed within the suit and his waist coat. He has a white framed monocle, hovering over his right eye.

"Have a seat, D'aliah" he says.

"You called for me, Father?" says D'aliah.

"Yes...", he seals his notebook before placing his arms on the desk and leaning towards D'aliah.

"Kalan Musa was apprehended earlier today having stolen 500 Oz of gold from the Bank of Luna..."

D'aliah momentarily drops her eye contact before looking back at her father. He leans back into his chair, looking to D'aliah with inquiry.

D'aliah walks towards the desk and takes a seat on the chair opposite to her father.

"He's currently sitting in prison. Awaiting trial."

"And why does this concern me, Father?"

Her Fathers eyes squint before he responds politely.

"Well, I decided you should be the first to know, considering he was to be your bond."

"I'm sure the Co'nitor will manage to find me another." Says D'aliah as she stands up to conclude the conversation.

"Is that all you wanted to tell me?"

"No. He is likely to decide on a life trial."

"And if he does not?" Responds D'aliah.

"Then he will be sentenced to death."

D'aliah flinches,

"Since when was this the punishment for petty theft?", D'aliah inquires.

"It's not the gold that's the issue."

"He is suspected to have been trading the gold to Nihilian High borns. It is believed he is a spy."

He glances at her one last time before returning to his work.

"That will be all, D'aliah."

She returns to attention and nods her head to her father in confirmation.

"Understood, Father." Says D'aliah before she quickly turns and makes her way out of the office.

 

"As Above, So Below." - Unknown

 

In the family's sword training room, D'aliah is practising her striking and combinations. Swiftly and deliberately severing her blade through the air in series, as she shuffles her feet in a dance-like step.

The door creaks open and D'aliah quickly stands at attention, sheathing her sword as an older woman with shoulder length dark brown hair etched with occasional streaks of white and a resemblance of a retired yet well aged D'aliah enters the room in a captivating, empress blue - silk gown.

"Your majesty." Says D'aliah before she bows, dramatically twirling hand hand more than necessary.

"Sweetie, I'm your Ami. Not the Empress of Valantis." Responds her mother in a giggle.

"Yes... Madam." Responds D'aliah as she bows again. Her Mother steps over and hugs her with all her warmth.

"Are you well, my dear? I heard the news of Kalan and thought I'd see how you're feeling."

"Thank you, Mother. But I'm doing fine." Responds D'aliah as she separates from the hug to step away and softly unsheathes her sword.

"Father's told me he is likely to choose a life trial." She continues.

Her Mother's face turns to shock.

"I'm sure you'll be fine, dear."

"I will speak to your Father to see if there's anything that can be done."

"It's fine, Mother."

"I'll need to show Father what I'm capable of if I am going to be his heir."

"This is the best place to learn finances?", Mother asks as she looks around the room.

D'aliah rolls her eyes into a frustrated glare at her Ami.

"Okay." Her Mother says, taking the hint as she smiles and leans in for another hug.

"It's a shame, The two of you were a great bond"

"Thank you, Mother."

They release their embrace and her Mother heads towards the door.

"Oh, and we’ll be having dinner in the hall if you’re joining us." She chides as she exits the room.

The stillness of the night returns and D'aliah remains stood still in the large, hall of emptiness. She unsheathes her sword, and looks at the blade as though she ought to return to her practice. She glides her finger over the text etched into the blade, which reads "Liber'ish tem D'emu", meaning "Our Duty, is Our Freedom" in old Valantian.

She is mesmerised by the text. it's smoothly engraved, almost symbol-like font takes occupancy in her mind. Clearing all other thoughts and pressures she was feeling before...

D'aliah raises her head, sheathes her sword, and takes a deep breath in... then out... And exits the room.

 

"Those who seek the light, find the light. Those who seek the darkness, choose to unleash it upon the world."- Neilum Morrello

 

0