Chapter 4 – Irilene Adire
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"How are the mines?" Asks Irilene, nude and sitting on the edge of a queen-sized bed.

"I've heard they're performing better than ever. But I wanted to see for myself." She adds as she stands up and makes her way to the washroom. Her soft yet affirmative voice reverberated throughout the room.

"They're yielding 300% more Atrinium since last year." Responds Ashera, laying beside the ghost of where Irilene was seated with a loin cloth wrapped around her waist and her feet under the linens.

"The Gods have blessed us." She adds.

Irilene returns from the washroom dressed in an empress blue blouse and sits back down on the bed, beside Ashera. Her hair is a pale blonde that is done up to resemble a tiara. Her eyes are an abyss of blue, identical to that of her blouse which reveals her slim, warrior figure.

"Well, that sounds like good news to me." Says Irilene, as she looks over to Ashera and smiles.

"Although it would seem you failed to visit the mines, considering we're currently in Valantis, and not Gelida." Responds Ashera as she smiles, running her hand along Irilene's back.

"It would seem so. Unless of course, I never intended to see the mines in the first place."

"That would mean you've lied to your councilmen. Claiming my visit is for business when it’s for pleasure." Blushes Ashera.

"Luná Vipers shouldn't stay apart for very long," Irilene responds, bringing her face closer to Ashera's.

"If you miss me too much, you might die. I would die too, for I would never see my sweet Ashera again."

She leans closer, placing her lips upon Ashera's.

"I couldn't go on without my bond." She adds before delicately kissing Ashera.

"Our bond will be etched in the halls of Luná history." Ashera smiles.

Irilene runs her hand through Ashera's short, near-black hair. Looking deeply into her green and brown eyes.

“We also balance both business and pleasure quite well if you ask me.” She adds before standing up again.

"Has the time for pleasure come to an end?" Asks Ashera.

She leans over and kisses Ashera on the forehead.

"Yes, I need to prepare a strategy for my debate against Falan. Send the atrinium we discussed last night." Says Irilene. "The Valantian military will need it to ensure order in Nihil."

"Of course my love," replies Ashera. "What is it that the people see in Falan? I'm surprised by how much support he has." She asks.

"He presents a prospect of peace by deteriorating the Valantian military and removing them from Dantian and Nihilian territories." Responds Irilene as she starts tying her robe. "He doesn't understand what it takes to lead the 6 nations of Luná in the way my bloodline has. Peace doesn't merely happen by retracting military power from a nation like Nihil with its barbaric and malignant culture... It comes from instilling order where there is none."

Irilene walks towards the front door of the room and turns to Ashera, who's still laying in bed.

"I'm going back to the castle. Stay as long as you need to. The guards will take you back to your airship when you're ready." She says.

"Be safe." Says Ashera.

Irilene smiles.

"I'll see you soon, dear." She says as she leaves the room

"For millennia, he who controls the resources of Luná controls the House of Law." - Prophet Ta'alo

"The Valantian parliament has gathered here today to observe a debate between Irilene Adire and Falan Greyeul." Says the aged debate moderator as he addresses the rest of the Valatian congressmen and women seated in the hall.

"Each of you, like the rest of the Valantian population, will be expected to vote for one of these two remaining candidates as Emperor or Empress of Valantis." The mediator adds. "For the longest time, Valantis has been a monarchy, and under the most recent rule of the Adire family, it has been Irilene's commitment to making the leadership of Valantis a democracy."

"Thank you all for assembling in the auditorium Candoris. Today's debate will consist of 5 questions directed at both Irilene and Falan in regards to the future vision and objectives of the Valantian population under their leadership." Remarks the mediator before taking a seat at his desk and preparing the first question.

"Each candidate will have the opportunity to state their response to the questions as well as query their opponent's response if they so desire. Have I made myself clear?".

"Yes, Sir Apath" Responds Falan.

"Understood" Responds Irilene.

"Very good," says the mediator. "The first questions shall be directed to Irilene Adire. It is as follows: What are the most important challenges facing our nation?"

Irilene looks out to the audience of 150 politicians observing the debate, momentarily processing her response before looking back to the mediator.

"Excellent question, Sir Apath. Many of you may be unaware of this, but Valantis is currently at war with the other nations of Luná." Irilene pauses as there is a slight buzz in the audience in response to her question.

"It is not a war of military strength, although that has had a hand, it is a war of resources... Each nation is competing for control over resources across Luná, and our biggest threats in the war are Bada Wang-gug, Gelida Terra, and Viridi. There have been many discu-"

"What do you intend to do about it?" interrupts Falan.

Irilene pauses for a moment, locking eyes with Falan to express her distaste for being interrupted. She then looks back to the Mediator and continues -

"I intend to place Valantian outposts across each nation of Luná, but particularly on Dantas and Nihil where the majority of these resources are found. This is to ensure an even distribution of the resources and prevent them from being acquired by the plethora of terrorists found in each nation." Responds Irilene.

"And how can you possibly pull that off?" Rebuttals Falan before he is interrupted by the speaker.

"One question only Falan. You've already queried what she intended to do".

"I already have." Irilene continues, her eyes locked with Falan.

"I have placed thirty-six outposts across Luná with 28 of them positioned on both Dantas and Nihil. The last should have arrived at Bada Wang-gug this morning. I have also brokered a deal with Gelida Terra to transfer 70% of the atrinium that they mine to Valantis."

Falan looks away from Irilene and towards the mediator before the mediator returns the question to Falan.

"And what would you say our biggest challenges might be?"

"Our greatest challenge is ourselves," Falan says without hesitation. Prompting an awkward silence within the hall.

"Our nation has a history of war and violence. We've embraced this history by maintaining the cycle for too long and families such as the Adire family only perpetuate a mentality that is no longer in our best interests." He adds as he looks at Irilene.

"I intend to bring a new era of peace across Luná that will not be fueled or achieved by military force, but by fair trade and peaceful negotiation. As the leading nation of Luná, we have a duty to guide our brothers and sisters to a better world. One that no longer requires suffering and poverty… Empowerment and fair distribution of resources so everyone may get what they need to progress.

The mediator looks towards Irilene, "Do you have any questions?".

"Yes, sir" responds Irilene. "If Falan is insistent on achieving this goal without the aid of militia. How does he intend to negotiate with the terrorists and thieves that plague the mines and governments of Dantas and Nihil?"

The mediator looks to Falan, giving him a gesture to begin his response.

Falan takes a pause.

"It would begin by returning what is rightfully theirs. I am confident they would be prepared to negotiate if we reconcile the resources that our nation stole during the great war. Including the magic that we stripped from their lands."

The audience immediately breaks out into a loud ruckus.

"Silence, Please!" yells the mediator before addressing what Falan just said.

"These accusations of stealing magic are unconfirmed and ill-willed." Responds Irilene.

"The effects of the great war are known across Luná and it affects Valantis as well. This information may not be publicly known, but the Adire family has learnt to instill fear into the hearts of fellow nations by reducing their access to magic."

Despite the mediator's efforts, the members of the audience mumble amongst each other. Irilene, noticing this, responds to Falan to ease their minds.

"That is very creative Falan", she chuckles before looking him deeply in the eyes.

"And how exactly could I accomplish something like this?".

Like an audience watching sport, they turn their head to Falan, awaiting a response. The mumbling reduced to waiting.

"Apologies Ms. Adire, but only one question may be posed. I would also remind the audience to remain silent during the debate as it impedes the flow of conversation."

"The second question will begin directed at Falan," Says the moderator before looking down at his notes.

"Do you believe a democracy should remain the future of Valantis?"

"Yes." He responds.

"The people of Valantis deserve to have an equal say in the future of this nation and the leader who take it there."

"Without a democratic vote, the nation becomes shrouded in secrecy and the people are coddled into a state of unassuming comfort." He adds, looking out into the audience to gauge their reactions.

"Do you believe Valantians aren't strong enough to voice themselves outside of an election process?" Inquiries Irilene.

"The people of Valantis are resilient and knowledgeable. An election would be the political consultation they deserve."

"Their resilience and knowledge are exactly why a democratic system is not necessary." Proclaims Irilene.

"They are far too concerned with their own lives, families, and businesses to care for the political state of their nation. Valantians want us to make the necessary decisions to solve nationwide conflicts hastily. Democracy simply impedes this process."

"Then why did you choose this election to be democratic?" Asks Falan.

"Because you requested it, Mr. Greyeul. It is a worthy test, and my interests have always aligned with those of Valantis. If democracy were to prove a better means of engagement then it shall remain following this election, but if I prove otherwise. It will be swiftly erased."

 

"Why do you believe you can only die once?"

- Prophet Rakánin

0