Chapter 6 – Life Trial
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Today we place Kalan Musa on trial for crimes of spying on the Valantian nation on behalf of its enemies."

The announcer's voice rings through the speakers of the outdoor amphitheater. Kalan, standing isolated on the circular stage, is facing a panel of judges which includes D'aliah in her royal armor and her father, seated next to her.

A crowd murmurs around him from the hundreds of steps that shape themselves high up, encircling the stage.

"How do you plead?" The announcer asks Kalan.

He turns his head to look at the encompassing crowd. The surrounding city is completely hidden by the stretching stands that almost seem never-ending.

"This place looks much larger from the stage." Utters Kalan with no regard for the announcer's question.

"Don't you think so, my love?" He directs to D'aliah who stays silent watching him alongside the other judges.

"How do you plead, Kalan?"

"Hmmmm." He mumbles, thinking over the right course of action.

"I plead guilty, Sire."

The observing crowd gasps in surprise and a distasteful boo slowly starts to build.

"Silence!" Yells the announcer before the audience can make any further noise. The amphitheater falls to silence again.

"It is my understanding that you plead guilty. Is this correct?"

"Yes, Sire."

"The judges have also deemed you guilty. For your crimes, you are to be punished by death. Hanging from the neck until asphyxiation."

Kalan keeps his eyes on D'aliah, trying to mouth something to her but she pays him no attention. Turning her head away after each of his attempts.

"Do you have any further statements before we proceed?"

"Yes, Sire. I do… I request a life trial." Kalan responds, smirking at the announcer and the panel of judges.

They all hold their gaze, unshaken by his decision. D'aliah remains calm, appearing to have expected this outcome.

"The accused has requested a life trial." He announces.

The crowd erupts in excitement for the entertainment they are to receive. D'aliah stands up from the panel and makes her way down to the stage with two of the Tutel Coprii escorting her.

"D'aliah Morcos is the bond to Kalan. Assigned to one another by the Co'nitor. The law of the Valantian life trial requires that she be his opponent."

Another guard makes his way to Kalan followed by a young lady carrying a wooden case. The guard unlocks the cuffs around Kalan's wrists before the lady opens the box to reveal his pearl-esque dual daggers.

"I appreciate the care you've given my weapons," Kalan says to the lady, bowing in appreciation as she turns with the guard to leave the stage.

The young lady returns with a longer box, approaching D'aliah with it this time. Once she arrives, she opens it to reveal a pearl-esque sword placed amongst the padding.

"A sword, huh?" Kalan chuckles.

"Valantis has judged you and it shall be by my sword that the judgment is fulfilled."

"Well, that's dramatic." He mumbles under his breath.

"Is it so easy for you to kill me, my love?" He asks but she remains silent and focused on the duty to come.

"I do what is necessary."

"Have you heard the tale of the Luná viper?"

"I don't believe our bond is of such significance." She responds.

Kalan nods his head with an air of confusion, unsure of what else he could say.

"The rules of the trial are as follows- he or she who survives the dual shall remain a citizen of Valantis." Says the announcer.

"In the event of a surrender, the duelist shall determine whether you are to be spared and exiled. Or killed, despite it."

The crowd cheers in anticipation of the game that will unfold. The announcer takes a seat beside the judges and holds a navy blue cloth in his hand.

"You may begin." He calls, dropping the cloth to the ground.

D'aliah raises the sword to her side, assuming an offensive stance. But Kalan doesn't draw the daggers from his waist just yet.

"Do you know how to use that thing?" He asks

"You mock me?" She rebuttals infuriated.

"I've just… never seen you use one before. You don't speak very highly of them."

"What do you know of me!"

"More than you seem to remember." He responds, startled by her rage.

Kalan takes an offensive stance and draws his daggers, each one like a fang that extends near the length of his forearm.

"I thought this was all just an act." He says before launching in her direction.

She responds, using her first step to thrust herself at him. She halts after a few steps and prepares a strike for when he arrives, coiling her body and pivoting the sword behind her head.

Kalan quickly realizes this, dropping to his knees the moment he is in range. Her blade hurls over his head as the tension in her body unwinds, carving through the air with great force.

He shuffles from his knees to his feet in a single motion, assuming a position behind her. She raises the handle of her blade to her head, directing the tip to the ground and turning her body in an attempt to defend her exposed side. However, Kalans already moved out of this position, keeping steadily at an angle that reduces the flexibility of her dominant arm.

He steps out of her vision, to the exposed side of her body and strikes a dagger toward her rib cage. She shuffles her feet, nearly stumbling over herself but successfully evading the attack.

"You're usually lighter on your feet." He remarks.

She wastes no time in a counterattack, raising her sword and slashing down toward Kalan's chest. He rotates his body and parries towards her dominant arm, dropping his center of gravity and then propelling himself up towards her stomach.

Her heartbeat spikes and fear sets a moment before she feels a large vibration ping throughout her body. It hurts, but not enough. She looks down to see Kalan's fist firmly placed against the armor at her belly.

She jumps backward, increasing the distance yet again. She briefly glances down at her stomach expecting to see blood but all she confirms is a prominent dent in her armor.

"Have we fought before?" She asks Kalan, revealing that she somehow feels at a disadvantage.

He laughs, caught off guard by the sudden vulnerability of the question.

"You mock me for a second time?"

"We've fought more than you can imagine, my love."

"And why laugh?"

"Honestly?" He asks, smiling at her with endearing eyes.

"It's usually you, who has the upper hand." He adds

D'aliah feels her cheeks go numb and realizes she's blushing. This pissed her off promoting her to take her stance with hopes that nobody noticed. She raises the handle to her head, with the tip of the blade directed towards Kalan as she moves towards him.

He steps forward too, with both daggers at his waist and his eyes directed to her blade. They briefly run at each other, each trying to build up more force when D'aliah strikes first with her extended range. She goes directly for his chest with a venomous stab but Kalan blocks it. Crossing both of his daggers at the target point.

She tries to pull her blade back to reset her attack but realizes that he has it locked between his daggers. Before she can think any further, Kalan lowers his body again. Squatting to the ground before he pops back up throwing both of his hands in the air.

D'aliah's sword flies out of her hand and hits the stone floor or the far side of the stage. She looks back to Kalan who has already traveled half of the remaining distance and blinks in reaction to him being so close.

When her eyes open again he's gone, and she feels the strength of his hand wrapping her arm behind her back. Causing enough pain in her arm to render it immobile. He brings the other dagger to her neck and presses the pearl blade against her throat.

"I will kill her if I must!" Kalan yells to the judges at the panel. But they do not respond.

He looks over at D'aliah's father who maintains an empty expression.

"Tell them you surrender," Kalan whispers in her ear.

"Never!" She protests.

"She surrenders." He yells out to the judges.

"I demand a boat, and we shall both be exiled."

The judges remain quiet as if the game hasn't ended.

"Sir. Morcos, It's probably best for a traitor not to kill your heir and leave unharmed." He challenges the panel.

The Judges turn to one another and briefly discuss amongst each other. Their opposing murmurs seemingly represent different outcomes for the couple.

The announcer rises, stepping in front of the panel to face Kalan and D'aliah.

"It has been decided that they shall both be exiled."

The crowd rambles in confusion. Many are in agreement with the final decision amongst equally potent protests.

"The Tutel Coprii will escort you to the dock outside the theater."

"And the gold." Kalan suddenly demands.

"The gold I stole is coming too."

"Refused! You continue to try your hand, Kalan. This will be the last of it."

"No!" D'aliah struggles under Kalan's grip.

"I can kill him." She pleads.

The announcer says nothing, waving his hand dismissively to the two escorts.

"The Cao family are the current rulers of Bada Wan-gug, they gained their power by overthrowing the former rulers three generations ago"

0