Chapter 2: First Encounter
304 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sayer felt the world spinning and his vision blurred. The sensation churned his stomach. He felt like he had been placed into a centrifuge and he was about to black out. Suddenly everything came to an abrupt halt. Sayer was tossed onto a cold tile floor and rolled several times before finally coming to a stop. He immediately lifted himself onto his hands and knees retching until he puked all over the floor. Only once he struggled to get his breathing back under control and wiped his mouth, did he lift his eyes and take in his surroundings.

He was no longer in the familiar apartment from a moment ago. Instead he found himself in a vast multi-floored library. Moonlight spilled in through a domed skylight and stained-glass windows. The architecture of the space seemed more like a gothic cathedral than a typical library he was familiar with.

Sayer stood up and cautiously scanned the area around him. Slowly, he crept forward to the end of the row of bookcases nearest him and peered around them. He had no idea where he’d been brought to, but the place was dark and deserted. All around him were rows and rows of bookshelves so tall that he’d need a ladder to reach the top rows. In the center of the building was an area with tables, perhaps for studying. He could also see a couple of isolated reading nooks with benches or armchairs.

As he explored around, he made sure to go slowly and focus on making as little noise as possible. This was easier said than done. Every little sound would echo in each a large open space, breaking the still silence of the night.

Sayer didn’t know why or how, but after thinking back to the words that appeared in the book just before he was pulled here, he vaguely understood that he was transported to another world. This must be somewhere in the city of Melogos. His first instinct was to dismiss that as impossible, but if he did that how was he to explain this impossible situation that was staring him right in the face. He was really here. Or perhaps he was already insane?

For the moment, Sayer chose to act under the assumption that he wasn’t insane yet and that what he was experiencing was reality. Afterall, if he had already gone crazy, what could he do about it? Melogos was real, therefore were the other things he read about in the novel real as well? He could only assume that they were!

As this thought entered his mind, Sayer couldn’t help but feel a cold sweat cover his body. What was he to do if encountered one of the creatures he read about? He had never experienced any danger greater than a fistfight. 

For a minute, Sayer was panicking internally, but he eventually regained his rationality as he considered things more carefully. Even if this place was really in Melogos, those creatures should be in the Old District. The Old District was a bunch of ruins that had been abandoned for at least a hundred years. This place clearly wasn’t destroyed or abandoned. Even though there was no one around, the books on the shelves were orderly and well-kept. The furniture seemed relatively new, not rotten and moldy like he would expect in a set of ruins.

No, clearly this library was not in the Old District. Furthermore, Sayer had explored and determined that he was completely alone here. So what exactly did he have to be afraid of? His situation was still rather serious as he suddenly appeared in a strange new place, but there wasn’t any immediate danger. Sayer suddenly felt a little silly and embarrassed about his previous state. He wasn’t a soldier or anything, but he was still a man after all. A man ought to keep his emotions in check during a crisis. 

Sayer was lost in his thoughts. He never noticed someone approaching him. That is until he felt a light tap on his shoulder and a dainty voice sounded behind his back. The sudden surprise caused Sayer to let out a very manly scream.

“Excuse me..”

“AHHH!”

Every bit of composure that Sayer had painstakingly gathered shattered in an instant. He was so alarmed that he sprung up in the air like a cat that had its tail stomped on. As he landed, he assumed something like a karate stance. He held a grave countenance, knowing he was about to face a life and death struggle, and sized up his enemy.

Standing there was a petite girl a full head shorter than him. She had her head tilted to one side as she stared at him with a mixture of curiosity and amusement. Long silver-blonde hair hung down over both shoulders in pigtails. Her eyes were a captivating icy-blue that sparkled as they reflected moonlight. She was wearing a baggy gray sweater over a white collared shirt along with a pleated high-waist skirt. It seemed to be a boarding academy uniform. Black thigh-high socks ran up her legs leaving just a small strip of her pale thighs exposed. She was a few years younger than him and looked to be about the age of a college freshman.

A few seconds of awkward silence hung in the air before the girl spoke again. 

“Umm.. Sorry for scaring you?”

Sayer realized he may have overreacted a little and so quickly took steps to correct himself before he ended up looking embarrassing. He cleared his throat casually and stood up straight, scratching the back of his head.

“Ah. You didn’t scare me, I was just slightly startled.”

“Oh, I see.”

The girl did not even try to hide the mirthful smile on her face. Her eyes roamed over Sayer from top to bottom.

“So why are you sneaking around the Athenaeum in the middle of the night?”

Sayer put on a wronged expression as he quickly spun a lie to cover for himself. Come on, think. She’s wearing a school uniform and they were in a library. She must be a student, so he’ll act like a student too.

“I wasn’t sneaking around. I just.. uh.. fell asleep cramming for an exam. When I woke up, the lights were already out.”

The girl’s smile became even more dazzling as she listened to that explanation.

“You don’t seem to be from the Academy though?”

“I’m a new student and only started a few days ago, that’s probably why you don’t recognize me.” 

“Oh really? But it's the middle of the semester.”

“I transferred from another school. They made an exception for me.”

“That makes sense. Then how come you’re not wearing a uniform?”

Sayer stiffened for a second and glanced down, realizing he was still wearing his work clothes from the gas station. He ‘discreetly’ took off his name tag and put it in his pocket.

“I haven't been given one yet. I guess since my admission timing is a little unusual they weren’t prepared.”

Sayer did his best to suffer through the girl’s interrogation and managed to make his story appear fluent. The girl had an expression that made her seem like she was becoming increasingly convinced as she nodded at each of his responses.

“Well I guess everything you said could be true. Ah, but there’s just one more thing that I don’t understand.” 

She touched a finger to her cheek and tilted her head, looking up to the corner of her eyes as if considering something. By this point Sayer had built up some confidence in his story-weaving ability. He cupped his hands behind his back and gave off the air of an upperclassman humoring his junior.

“And what’s that? I’ll satisfy your curiosity, I suppose.” 

“Saint Augustine Academy is an all-girls school.”

Sayer froze in place and went silent. He was covered in the same cold sweat as earlier when he was worrying whether there might be horror abominations nearby. 

“...That…well… Um..”

As he was busy racking his brain to come up with a suitable explanation, the girl slowly lifted up onto the tips of her toes and leaned forward closer to him. She sniffed the air twice and then wrinkled her nose.

“Your breath stinks.”

The corner of Sayer’s lips twitched as he was reminded that he vomited a few minutes ago. The girl was staring up at him with eyes filled with schadenfreude. Awkward silence blanked over the both of them for almost a minute.

Finally he couldn’t take the pressure any longer, so he coughed to break the tension. It occurred to him that she probably wasn’t supposed to be here in the middle of the night either, so Sayer decided to shift his strategy and put her on the defensive.

“What about you? What are you doing in the library after dark? I’m sure that students like you are supposed to be sleeping right about now.”

“I was patrolling the campus in case any pervert voyeurs tried to sneak in. Luckily I found one.”

Checkmate in one. That was both an obvious lie and a naked threat, but Sayer had no means to counter. All she needed to do was start screaming bloody murder and he would be dead meat. Really this girl was too brutal. Once again silence filled the air until the girl couldn’t help herself but break out giggling from watching Sayer squirm.

“How about we just both pretend we never saw each other?”

Sayer realized he wasn’t going to win a battle of wits, so he decisively waved the white flag and asked for mercy. Unfortunately the mischievous girl gave no quarter.

“Maybe I can forget you were here, but in return you’ll owe me a favor.. Mr. ‘Sayer Thorne’.”

Fuck! Stupid name tag! Sayer cursed this little demoness repeatedly in his head, but outwardly wore a flattering smile.

“Of course, no problem.”

“Great! Since you don’t mind, then meet me outside the Academy’s gate tomorrow at noon. I know just what you can help me with.”

Sayer wasn’t sure if he wanted to laugh or cry. It turns out that she already has something planned for him. Somehow he was certain that he wasn’t going to like it.

“What exactly is the favor that you want me to do for you?”

“It’s a surprise.”

Both corners of the girl’s lips curled up into a wicked grin. Sayer was beginning to wonder if maybe he’d be better off locked up in a cell than going along with her whims. How exactly did he provoke this walking calamity? Where the hell did she even come from when she just appeared like a ghost behind him?

“Since I’m going to do a favor for you, shouldn’t I at least know your name?”

“Nope, that’s alright. It’s enough that I know yours.”

She let out a cheerful laugh that chimed like a silver bell, waving away the suggestion without giving it a thought.

“Ah. Alright then.. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Mhm. Oh, be careful that you don’t get caught by the prefects. Since you snuck in, I’m sure you can sneak out though.” 

She might be sure, but Sayer wasn’t sure of that at all. He never snuck in, he just magically appeared in the library after being transported from Earth. But of course it wasn’t as if he could say that. 

As he left that girl behind and slipped out from the grand entrance of ‘the Athenaeum’, Sayer held the pitiful expression of a man who’d been mistreated. How did he go from minding his own business in his apartment to being extorted by a delinquent? The universe is unjust!

13