Chapter 5: Banquet
168 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The grandeur House Castille’s main estate was unlike anything that Sayer had seen before. Rows of flowerbeds and meticulously shaped hedges lined the road. The flowers were so numerous that it must take at least a dozen gardeners to tend to all of them. Amidst many of the flowerbeds, there were winding footpaths that lead up to marble pavilions decorated with Romanesque columns. One area had a great fountain surrounding a life-sized statue of a robed woman, her arms outstretched towards the sky. The wealth on display here was simply staggering.

Sayer was rendered speechless as he took in these sights. He glanced over at Aya in her little black dress. Before he only noticed that it was provocative, but now he also noticed how finely made and expensive it seemed. Then he looked down at his own clothes that he thrifted from a shop in the slums yesterday.

“Say Aya.. This small family event that we’re attending. Exactly what kind of event is it?”

“Just a banquet. It will mostly be just my house and House Beaumont, who they’re discussing forming an alliance with. Of course both Houses have various subordinate families, merchants they do business with, guilds they hold stakes in. Also the Church will definitely send a representative, since they’re always paying close attention to what the noble houses do. And most of the other houses will probably send at least a small delegation because they don’t want to be out of the loop either.”

As Aya casually counted off all the bigshots who were likely to be in attendance on her fingers, Sayer’s expression darkened further and further. He maintained his calm on the surface, but internally he was a volcano about to erupt.

“Oh is that all? You didn’t think to maybe mention these things sooner? I only ask because it seems like you’ve forgotten that I’m a COMMONER! I’ve never attended a banquet in my life! I have no formal clothes, I don’t know the first thing about etiquette, and I know nothing about any of these people!”

“I thought it would be more fun this way. Well, more fun for me.”

Her reply was so matter-of-fact and unconcerned that it made Sayer’s face twitch. He felt tempted to leap across the carriage and strangle her.

“What the hell are you thinking? Just dropping me head-first into an important negotiation between two giants? Are you trying to get me killed?!”

“Hey, hey relax, it’ll be fine! Come on, deep breaths. Breathe in.. breathe out… It’s not as serious as you’re thinking. Unless you really piss off one of the house heads, there’s almost zero chance you’ll be executed.”

Ahh! This bitch is crazy! Sayer made a mistake agreeing to this. He made a big mistake!

While Sayer was still on the verge of a panic attack, the carriage came to a stop outside an imposing three-story manor. Ornate bay windows jutted out from the walls and the mansion was capped with a mansard roof. A short flight of stairs led up to a set of double doors where several valets and maids were already receiving guests. 

He let out a turbulent breath and forcibly controlled the shaking of his shoulders. Sayer reminded himself again that he didn’t care what kind of disaster they caused at this event. By tomorrow it would have nothing to do with him. However, he was already planning to give Aya a taste of her own medicine if he got the chance. You think you’re the only one who can embarrass someone?

The door to the carriage was opened by the driver and Aya stepped out without hesitation. Sayer took an extra moment to imagine his revenge and that seemed to help him calm down. Once he followed and also stepped down from the carriage, she pressed up to his side and linked her arm around his.

“Come darling, let’s go meet my family.”

“Fuck you.”

The Lord Marquis straightened his red silk jabot in the mirror, making the final adjustments of his appearance. Today was an important day. If all went well, House Castille and House Beaumont would be just one step away from entering a formal alliance, and thus he would gain access to many of House Beaumont’s connections with the hunter guilds.

Neglecting to cultivate such relations when the Old District craze was just beginning was something that Aldrich Castille deeply regretted. Who could have foreseen how quickly they would grow in influence? Angel’s Blood had already gotten to the point of being something one can’t purchase with simply money alone. He might not have an immediate need for such a thing, but if he didn’t act now he may never have the chance. Besides, he was beginning to get on in years. Who wouldn’t want something that could let you live longer?

A knock on the door to his study roused Lord Castille from his musings. His most trusted butler, Langston, entered and bowed before him.

“All the guests have arrived except for the Beaumonts, however they should be here any minute. Aya was the last to arrive, together with her escort.”

“Escort? Her teacher from the academy, maybe?”

“That cannot be. He’s too young and Saint Augustine Academy only hires female instructors. Also..”

The elderly butler had an awkward countenance, clearly hesitating to give the last bit of information. 

“Also, the young man is clearly a commoner. Your daughter appears to be quite close with him.”

Lord Castille’s eyes went wide and his breathing quickened. He was fuming! His daughter had always been a troublemaker, but this was really too much. She brought a date to the event the Beaumont heir was going to propose an engagement with her! This would be humiliating for them. He needed to find his daughter and do some damage control before it was too late.

An attendant announced Aya and Sayer’s arrival to a ballroom filled with Melogos' most affluent individuals. Many of whom all turned at once to take note of their arrival. Aya made a show of clinging closely to Sayer like a young maiden in love. At first it was Aya in her dress that caught the eyes of the various aristocrats, but soon Sayer was drawing just as much attention with his attire. 

Perhaps predictably, the guests that came from noble houses were reluctant to interact with the pair. They would only say a couple of polite words and quickly find a reason to excuse themselves before they could be seen interacting with Sayer. However, many of the merchants had no such reservations regarding social caste, and were quite happy to talk with anyone that might help them further their connections. A boisterous older tycoon was the first to strike up a conversation.

“Aya Castille! You’re growing up to be quite the beauty. I remember when I first met your father, you were just a little girl as tall as my knee, haha!”

“Mr. Holloway, it’s a pleasure. These events are always more lively when you’re around.”

Aya smiled at the man and gave him an elegant curtsy. He nodded once before he turned his attention onto Sayer.

“And who’s this lucky young man?”

“This is Sayer Thorne, he’s new to the city. Sayer, Mr. Holloway owns half of the manufacturies on the east side of Melogos.”

“Glad to make your acquaintance.”

“Thorne, huh? What sort of business are you in, Mr. Thorne?”

Sayer stilted awkwardly for a moment. Should he just tell the truth here or try to make up something? If he did that he might get called out and be unable to answer an obvious question. In that case it was better to stick to his actual field.

“Well.. I majored in physics with the plan to go into astrophysics..” 

“Astro-what now?”

The man scratched his head, clearly not understanding this term from Earth.

“I study the stars and celestial bodies in space.”

“Oh, you’re an astrologer! It figures that she would find another academic type. So how did you manage to woo Aya?”

Sayer felt a grin spread across his lips as an evil idea came to him.

“Actually, Aya is the one who came on to me. I don’t know what it was exactly, but when she saw me she just decided that she needed to have me.”

“Ohoho, who would have thought little Aya would have such a side to her?”

“You don’t know the half of it. Sometimes she just gets this hungry look in her eyes that can send a chill down your spine. Imagine my surprise when I saw that look on our first date? I was lucky that she didn’t jump me just right then and there. Honestly, before Aya I didn’t know that there could be such a lustful woman!”

“Bwahaha! Ah, to be young again.. Make sure you cherish this time because the two of you will miss it once you reach my age.”

As the man was bellowing out high-spirited laughter from Sayer’s story, Aya’s eyes were ablaze with fury. Sayer pretended that he didn’t notice the daggers she was glaring at him. She quickly realized what he was doing and decided to launch her own counterattack.

“That story reminds me of our second date, where Sayer had a little too much wine. I wish I had known beforehand that he was such a lightweight that can’t handle his liquor. By the end of the night I had to drag him back from..”

Like this, a war erupted where both Aya and Sayer competed to see who could tell the most embarrassing ‘anecdotes’ to as many people as possible. With each new group that they mingled with, the matter kept escalating until nothing was sacred. Aya wet herself once during a scary theater performance. Sayer becomes sexually impotent unless she comforts him like a baby. 

Before long, even the merchants were avoiding the duo the same as the noble families. No one wanted to get caught in the crossfire of this couple that seemed to be in the middle of a lovers’ spat. The two of them didn’t know it, but they had unintentionally accomplished Aya’s goal flawlessly. There wasn’t a single person there that wasn’t absolutely convinced they were a real couple. Eventually, Aya and Sayer were off in a corner alone with each other, but the two were still quarreling. 

“Do you think I won’t kick your ass right here?”

“What’s the matter? You’re the one that decided to bring me along without any preparation. Now it’s not enough that I’m making conversation with your guests?”

“Like hell you’re just making conversation. This wasn’t part of the deal, so don’t blame me for going back on my half.”

“If that’s how it is, I can just walk out right now. I don’t even want to be here to begin with, remember?”

“Asshole!”

“Spoiled brat!”

With each back and forth, Aya and Sayer drew in closer to each other until their foreheads were nearly touching and sparks were shooting between their eyes.

Suddenly, they both stopped shouting at once as they noticed a crunching sound beside them. Their heads turned in unison to look at a tubby man sitting alone at his table nearby. He was watching their fight with rapt attention, wolfing down hors d’oeuvres like a moviegoer snacking on popcorn in the cinema. He very slowly stopped chewing now that both the angry young man and lady were staring at him, then got up and awkwardly shuffled off before he could become their new target.

The tension hung thick in the air between Aya and Sayer. It seemed that their argument was about to reignite once more. Before the pair got a chance to continue making a scene, a maid gingerly approached them. 

“Young miss, the Lord Marquis has asked for you. He says the matter is urgent.”

“Hmph, I can guess what he has to say. Very well, lead the way.”

Aya made one more rude gesture at Sayer before she followed the maid off into another room. Sayer was left to fend for himself in the banquet hall, but he didn’t mind. He didn’t particularly want to be close to Aya right now.

Across the hall a group of noblewomen were crowded together in a circle gossiping. They clicked their tongues and held their noses high when speaking of the indecent peasant that somehow got mixed into their party. 

“Which dumpster do you think Aya fished him out from?”

“Nothing is too low for her. Sigh, it’s such a shame that House Castille only has one respectable daughter.”

The more shrewd lady did not miss the opportunity to curry favor with one glamorously dressed peer in their group. Like Aya, this young lady also had silver-blonde hair, however she wore her’s in a dignified up-do. She was a couple years older than Aya and shared none of her sister’s less desirable traits. Whenever Aya was fiery, provocative, and juvenile, she would be calm, modest, and mature. A perfect picturesque lady that any nobleman would be proud to have on his arm. 

So then why was it that she, Evelyn Castille, had failed to catch the eye of the Beaumont heir? This vexed Evelyn to no end. The Beaumonts were a ducal family. Not only would winning over Quinten Beaumont raise her status in her own family, it would even elevate her above them. 

Yet somehow, despite her efforts, it was her contemptible little sister that caught his attention. And she didn’t even want it! Why?! Just because she was talented with sorcery? So what? Evelyn could wield a blade a thousand times sharper than sorcery: social status.

The yell of a crier announcing another new group broke Evelyn out of her brooding. Finally, House Beaumont had arrived with Quinten among them. 

For the past half hour she had been forced to watch Aya and the dog she brought along make fools of themselves. She wondered how much trouble it might cause her little sister if the future duke and the commoner dog met while she was still away… 

“Excuse me for a moment.”

Evelyn gave the group of noble ladies around her a smile and set down her champagne glass. Her hips swayed with each step as she made her way towards the group of new arrivals.

8