04: Shopping Is Not Always Meant As Fun
548 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Much apologies for having taken so long for updating this; I do still have warm feelings for this one too. And, I'm hoping some of the past readers are still as keenly interested in this story, as originally intended to be ongoing-

Plus. I'm still a little 'weak' on what to put in the actual dungeon structure. A billion thanks in advance if anyone can point out any site with instructions or even well thought out plans for setting up a two hundred floor dungeon layout. But I do have already my own plans for what's going on in the desert domain above this dungeon.

After this, her time was like a walk in the park; she captured the remaining corner rooms in rapid succession, with no further entities to combat in those rooms. Only, brief status messages and things to indicate the successes.

Spoiler

Successfully cleared the room "Dungeon Medical Wardroom". All further functions of this room are hereby unlocked to the room owner.
Upgrades available for room "Dungeon Medical Wardroom". Focus on the node embedded in the floor at the room's center to activate upgrade menu.
Successfully cleared the room "Dungeon Minion's Toiletries". All further functions of this room are hereby unlocked to the room owner.
Upgrades available for room "Dungeon Minion's Toiletries". Focus on the node embedded in the floor at the room's center to activate upgrade menu.
Successfully cleared the room "Dungeon Master's Library". All further functions of this room are hereby unlocked to the room owner.
Upgrades available for room "Dungeon Master's Library". Focus on the node embedded in the floor at the room's center to activate upgrade menu.
Successfully cleared the room "Dungeon Core Room". All further functions of this room are hereby unlocked to the room owner.
Upgrades available for room "Dungeon Core Room". Focus on the dungeon core orb to activate the upgrade menu.
Main quest "Investigate Your Surroundings, Make The Place Your Own" progress completion. Rewards for this quest chain added to your inventory space.
Dungeon shop space is now unlocked and available for the dungeon master's use.

[collapse]

Touching the dungeon core sphere, she felt a slight electric buzz through her body ― not the "usual" erotic feeling; this was much more intense. This felt like a whole body triple orgasm packed into a half second of touch ― but it left her breathless, in the same way.

The dungeon core room was the most surprising of all. Through the expanded dungeon menu, she saw options to extend the size of the dungeon (height, length, width), to create more floors and to add more rooms within the floors. All these actions use dungeon points, of course. Andromeda thought about how to design a dungeon, and in what parts of it she could interact.

Spoiler

Help System ― Dungeon Mastery, Introduction

A dungeon is of course a complex superstructure of many component parts; a whole dungeon can contain many floors, and each floor can contain many rooms. Each of these aspects may inhabit the same real world space, through a clever management of the various dungeon system fields.

The physical limit for the dungeon system field is no more than two kilometers on the X, Y, or Z planes; a kilometer cube is a decent one. The default size to start is 100x100x5 meters. The cost to expand toward this maximum size is: {20 x (metric volume / 8)} MP; the cost divides evenly among the dungeon master and dungeon core spirit (if a spirit exists).

A dungeon's floor field is contiguous to, and overlaid upon, the dungeon system field. Place a floor field anywhere not overlaid on a prior floor field, does not pass outside the dungeon space, and may be any distance from the previous or next fields. You can put the floor fields in random placement for a customized layout. However, for the most efficient layout, a dungeon master usually aligns floors in a vertical stack, and extend the full width and length of the dungeon system field. A floor must be a minimum of two meters tall, and may be a maximum of ten meters tall. The dungeon layout menu and a shopping space merchant have purchasable modifiers to multiply internal length, width, and height ― it becomes "bigger on the inside", up to one hundred times normal. Some of the modifiers are only available to buy in the shopping space itself.

Next, the floors are subdivided by "rooms": compartmentalized zones within a floor's space used in a contiguous battle zone or activity. Like floors, you can also assign room size or other multipliers, only as long as the room's and floor's multipliers, multiplied together, do not exceed the one hundred times limit. Rooms can be assigned as specialized biomes (with natural or elemental properties), as building interior layouts, or as empty and unassigned zones. The rooms are the actual locations within the floors, within the dungeon, that adventurers will seek out combat and gain experience to improve themselves. Some places are typically "safe zones" where the adventurers may not be attacked, although floors are not guaranteed to have such safety locations.

Of all floors and all rooms, the most important of these is the dungeon core room. It is often a sparsely decorated room, as it should be combat ready and with little to no space for attackers to hide. At the center of the room is the dungeon core, usually presented within a containment field hovering precisely in the exact middle of the room. The dungeon core diameter is 10 cm minimum, plus 1 mm per dungeon core spirit's 10 MP, plus 0.1 mm per dungeon master's 10 MP.

For proper maintenance and management of a dungeon in the absence of a dungeon master or mistress, a dungeon core should contain the spirit of a qualified manageable entity. Certain actions require the usage and cooperation of the dungeon master and the dungeon core spirit, especially the mutual usage of their mana. Therefore, care should be taken in the selection of the entity to become a dungeon core spirit. Once selected, a dungeon core spirit cannot be easily replaced; so do choose wisely, if possible.

[collapse]

'Oh, that is some interesting starting information. Sort of a miniature tutorial.'

New dungeon management options presented themselves. She could link the individual rooms to the core and to each other, finally allowing the slime creatures passage into this spot and between the rooms; she could add more rooms around the current ones; she could also enlarge the dungeon space and therefore the rooms also. Andromeda could further add a second floor to the dungeon layout ― except for the fact that Perseus had once taken over this dungeon when it already had a full two hundred floors. The floors were already there, waiting to be conquered and added to the dungeon's "database" of rooms. She had the strangest feel of unconquered rooms, with more rooms and more dangerous minions awaiting her.

Andromeda noted that she was now leveled up to three ― a sudden boost from that queen slime's spitting out little slime entities, and from the quest completion. And also, she had an impressive amount of creature drops that she had collected, from all the entities she'd fought and conquered; what most of these objects were to be used for, she did not have even a slight clue.

"First things first, nyow," she pondered.

With a few touches, the four cardinal rooms linked to the core room; but with the other rooms she was more judicious ― both the kitchen and library had only been linked to the dining room, the medical ward was only linked to the west barracks, and the minions' toiletries room linked to both minions' barracks. Within seconds, her little tame slime creatures were openly tumbling into the core room, crowding around her.

Without any advance warning, a new rush of quests appeared to her.

Spoiler

Main Quest: "Visit The Dungeon Shopping Dimension, Buy A Few Items". (0/6)
You now have a beginning dungeon, a few minions, and several creature drops. Now it's time to shop for what you may need or want next. The dungeon shopping space would have several resources for sale you can use to tidy up the looks of the dungeon environment. Of course, in the shopping dimension, you can also sell junk items, spare items, and even items you manufactured. Visit the shopping space, look around, buy one or more things, and sell one or more (different) things. Then come back to your dungeon, and wait for your purchases to arrive.

Quest: Visit Mouze's Emporium.
Mouze's Emporium is a recommended first stop for the first-time dungeon master; if you need it, chances are it's here or Mouze can get it soon. Mouze runs a squeaky clean establishment, and has been selling trusty goods for three millennia, and shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

Quest: Visit Sydnee's Skill Station.
Sydnee has a way around the skill system of any aspiring dungeon master or mistress; for a price she can set you up with all you need. Just a warning, though: DO NOT, under any circumstances, say anything about her physique or body odor, or you might live to regret it.

Quest: Visit Misa's Matter Mastery.
Misa is a little miss who is a master over elemental things, capable of summoning up any matter creation a character may need. Not as busy as she once was; as soon as a dungeon master learns the same skills, she isn't visited by that dungeon master. Yet she remains to help what few visitors come her way, in hope of continued patronage or something more permanent.

Quest: Visit Zal's Zlave Zhop.
Zal may be almost eternally sleepy yet busy as a bee; but she knows a thing or two about buying or selling dungeon minions. You may find minions and slaves of both high and low qualities, and attributes, and skills, just to match your stated budget.

Quest: Perform an Act of Kindness.
Somewhere within the dungeon shopping space, you may come across some individual down on their luck or having a bad day ... or unfortunate life. Be a friend; help their situation without any intent to be repaid for it; kindness is its own reward, is more than just a saying.

Quest: Free Yourself of Garbage.
Chances are, from you battling the wild creatures, you may have a few creature drops that are unwanted. Go to an appropriate store ― any store ― in the dungeon shopping space, then sell at least one thing you have in your possessions. It can be a manufactured good, a monster drop, or even a monster ― so long as it is something you don't want back. All sales and purchases are often final, subject to proprietor agreement. Any purchases on credit must be paid according to merchant/customer agreement.

[collapse]

"Alright! That's what I was waiting to see! I can go shopping now!"

The slimes crowded in around her, threatening to overwhelm her with their affection.

"Whoa, hey, everyone give me a little room."

The pressure subsided, and one by one they retreated a few steps.

"Better. Oh, um, better yet, now that I have opened these rooms up to me and you, why not explore the rooms. Or, Nefertiri and others, try to fix the broken parts of the barracks to the west you were in before this ... yeah, you do know what I mean, queen slime. I don't care particularly how you do it; spawn a slime that has a carpentry or repair skill, or something. It's okay if you take a while to recover first and then to think about what you need to do before doing it, just so you get it done. Use the barracks to the south as a visual guide if necessary. Afterward, try to learn and practice your skills a little ― without destroying any more of the rooms or their furnishings."

  • Quest Assignment Successful.
    The dungeon minions have accepted the quest steps given to them.

Andromeda thought it interesting in order to further give her minions quests, all she had to do was speak the quest to them. What did it look like from their perspective? Did they 'see' the quest as a visual cue, or was it more like an 'imperative' pull to complete something?

Or. Did Perseus just speak quests this same way, to give them to her?

"I am going shopping for a bit."

Nefertiri flattened a little, flowing through the target doorway in the knowledge of just what all had to be done, while the remaining slimes followed happily bouncing. Except Alcestis.

  • Dungeon minion Alcestis requests to go where you go.
    Note that allowing it will exempt the minion from completing a quest.
    Accept this request to let the minion follow you? Yes/No

'What the heck? My minions can give me quests ... er, requests?'

"Oh, you want to go with me? I don't know if it will work, but ... okay. I'm fine with it. Come with me."

  • Acquired the system 'Party System' and assorted 'Party Management' skills to complement it.
    You may now add or remove entities to your party, set party roles, dismiss a party, and more.
    Dungeon Master Andromeda Champion formed her first party with dungeon minion Alcestis.

With merely a nod, she reached down and stroked the healing slime, also calling upon the Dungeon Shopping Space.


The space around Andromeda and her slime warped, and then they were standing within a virtual space.

It was like a small village, except for a dirt ground it was a streaming flow of elemental forces, swirling furiously against each other but producing no sense of ground movement. And instead of wooden or stone buildings, similar elemental flows but running in orderly fashion, vertically or horizontally, to intricately simulate wood and stone buildings.

"Ah. A newcomer. Welcome, new dungeon mistress, and your slime minion as well."

Andromeda turned, to look directly at a male beastkin guardian holding a tall pike. Unlike her being a catkin race, he was a dogkin; yet any preconceived ideas about cats with dogs did not seem to hold true here.

She felt her status analysis skill wouldn't work here if it wasn't the blessed variant; she guessed this was for a reason. But with the greater blessed analysis ability, she could see a portion of things' status which may normally be hidden.

"Hello there. I am Andromeda Champion; and you are?"

"Pleased to meet you, Andromeda. I am but one of the guardians for this shopping space's arrival field. My name is not important; but if you want to call me something, then 'Wolf' will do."

"Okay, Wolf; let's be friends. What can I do here? It's my first time in this space, and aside from some deity quests, I didn't get a tutorial guide about what to do when I got here."

"Ah, yeah, not all deities are forthcoming on their granting knowledge," he nodded calmly, as if to sate her. "Such is the case for many first-time operators. It's fine; let me point out a few things about this space."


Over the next few minutes, he pointed out the primary buildings, which were also part of the main quest now. She, the slime, and Wolf seemed to be standing in the slightly grassy park in the middle of this space; the grass blades felt soothing upon her feet, while her slime creature actively cavorted around her.

To the northwest was Mouze's Emporium, where the merchant Mouze sold goods to dungeons; Wolf said even if a competing store existed, Mouze's place will still be the leading one. He described the merchant as a quite virile ancient yet young looking creature, whose many millennia of existence surely held many secrets of business. The guard chuckled and whispered to her, to ask the merchant about some Seller's War of 700 years ago, if she ever wanted to hear a lengthy tale.

To the northeast, Sydnee's Skill Station had the widest variety of skills to sell for the most outrageous prices; not cheap skills, but distinctly worth the prices put upon them, said Wolf. He then intimated that he'd always wanted a few more combatant skills, so that he could defend the shopping space better ― his job appraisal wasn't the best at the moment, due to a jealous opponent's sabotage.

To the southeast, Zal's Zlave Zhop looked to be abuzz with various slaves awaiting perusal, and assigned to cleanup and presentation on behalf of the store. Basically, to act as an "eye candy" for incoming customers. Wolf didn't add much for the description of the place, except to say, Zal was a chronic sleeper but a whirlwind of action if you stir her up. His pleading eyes silently begged Andromeda not to find out from firsthand experience.

To the southwest, Misa's Matter Mastery was aglow with various elemental focal points looking like mini tornadoes, each of various sizes and strengths. From a distance, it looked as if the casually moving form of Misa herself walked among the chaotic nexus of activities. Misa seemed to look this way, nod briefly in deference to a potential customer, but continued walking through her space. Wolf didn't say anything about her ― was she somehow a "black sheep of the family" in this shopping space?

That about did it for a description of the four places that were in her quest system; and also accounted for the four nearest establishments. This space may be bigger than she knew; but for now, all she had to do was fulfill the obligations of the quests.

"Ah, now why doesn't this shopping trip feel fun?" she mused openly.

Wolf grinned, with a wolfish grin, and answered anyway. "Andromeda, shopping is not always meant as fun. Since you are a new dungeon master, perhaps if you spend more time worried about your survivability than the entertainment value, you will be back at a later time for the fun."

"Naturally," she nodded. "But ... what's the survivability rate of dungeon masters? If you happen to know."

He thought for a moment, and then told her his thoughts. "In the last decade, I've met about a hundred new dungeon masters from around the cosmos. Of those, only little more than a third of them last the month, or maybe it's just that the rest never came back here."

Her jaw dropped. "Two thirds mortality rate? Really?"

"Unsubstantiated, but essentially correct. Which is why, the first days in administering your dungeon are most critically important."


Andromeda wished Wolf a good day (or whatever time period this space went by), and walked toward Mouze's Emporium as her first shopping experience here. Even if the rest of this space could be said to have been setup like a 'village' ... it's still true, Mouze's was the most noticeable structure within the space.

From the outside of the edifice, it appeared to be a three story monstrosity of a building; but she had yet to see its inside. The outside of the building was all wooden siding, no paint in sight, but somehow more impressively constructed this way. High above her head, the roof was a low-pitched angle thing with shingles extending over the eaves.

She entered the nearest door, held open by a pleasant young creature ― perhaps a descendant of Mister Mouze. An inner door came open easily at her forward motion, causing a lone brass bell to chime in notification of her ingress. She saw rows upon rows of tall shelves, filled with various goods. She warned Alcestis to leave the items in here alone.

"One moment," called out a male voice from past a few rows of shelves, hidden from view.

She wandered inward, slowly examining one shelf full of crystalline mana storage orbs. Apparently, they function like "mana batteries", a simple way to store your own mana away for more demanding times. A partial status view of them indicated they were of differing qualities; even with a same apparent size, one had a capacity of 999 mana units, another held a capacity of 1000 units, yet another could store maybe 1003 units. Such variances seemed to scale down to the lesser orbs around 100 units, and up to the larger orbs of 5000 units of mana, plus or minus a bit.

Turning into the aisle where she stood, a creature half her height that looked like a humanoid rodent strode up to her, huffing and puffing from the exertion. He bowed at the waist and introduced himself calmly.

"Hello. I am Mouze, the proprietor. You must be a new dungeon master, I haven't seen you before."

She didn't know if the shopping space had some ritual greeting, but she knew practical protocols and courtesy; she followed suit and answered with a bow of her own.

"Yes, hello, I am Andromeda. Indeed I am a new dungeon master, selected personally by a demigod named Perseus-"

"Perseus!" screeched a voice from deeper into the room.

Mouze grimaced, the first indication maybe Andromeda shouldn't have spoken so honestly about her involvement with the demigod.

"Did I ... say something wrong?" she whispered to the elder merchant, as a younger female version of Mouze came scrambled in from the aisle.

"Nope. Slow down, Delie. Ah, that's a good girl. Andromeda, may I introduce my granddaughter Bedelia. Bedelia, this is a new customer, named Andromeda."

A 'girl' she may be, but she looked no less mature than Mouze himself. Instead of copying his moderate tone, she was like a little schoolgirl, to soon begin flooding her with a torrent of questions. "Hi I'm Delie, how are you, do you really know Perseus, like does he ever mention me, and um do you think you could introduce-"

She was interrupted by Mouze clamping a hand over her mouth. "Forgive my great grandchild, I think she has a thing for your benefactor. Go back to the task of sorting items, dear; I'll talk to you soon. Come with me, Andromeda ― do follow me to my office, for a bit."


Mouze worked in a no-frills office on the second floor; two desks faced each other, a lower drawer still pulled out from the last time he was in the room. Here in this office, the effects of analysis abatement was much lessened; she could see practically all that was on the creature's status screen without troubles.

He pushed aside a paper stack on his side of the desk, pulled a wooden chair as large as him from the nearby wall, and motioned for her to sit. The gentle rodent man poured a liquor from a bottle into a cup, sliding it to her, then pouring some for himself in another cup.

Andromeda drank hers, at the same time he drank his. It was smooth, with no burn going down; she was quite thrilled with the taste. "Mm. Good."

"Quite so," he blinked, then sighed. "Now then, young dungeon mistress. I will like to get to know you, before you sign up for a credit account. It's nothing too difficult, only a mere moment of your time, and then you'll be given an account in my store, with a little bonus amount to begin with."

"Ah, okay. Any questions, just ask away."

10