05: Mention Perseus, Receive Bonuses?
891 12 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He did ask more than just the basic things; mostly about her, and things which revealed her personality. Was this his brand of psychoanalysis? It certainly seemed so ― he was so good at it.

"That's all I wanted to know; you are qualified for store credit now. But, just one thing ― and you are not required to answer, it's only my personal curiosity ― what did happen to Perseus? If you could answer it. Because, I've ... heard things."

"If you can promise not to spread this around," she replied, "I can certainly answer. Long story cut short, some other deity got jealous, forced him out of the pantheon, and ejected him into another world ― my world. As fortune ― or maybe misfortune ― would have it, I was murdered in my world, but he rescued me. By his grace he sent me to this world where I'm attached now, to act in a capacity to bring him back to his world and his pantheon."

"Oh." Mouze exhaled a soft breath, then drained another glass of the smooth liquor. "I suppose I should say, many of us here in the dungeon shopping space genuinely like Perseus, my own granddaughter included. He was rarely here, oh two or three times a decade; and yeah, several of the locals here did like him more than a little bit. One other demigoddess did get angry as she'd heard Perseus had a fan club here. Maybe, be careful of interacting with someone name Deressah ― she might be trouble if you want to help Perseus."

"Hm; this does not make it sound easier. Well; from outside appearances, the lower gods should be bragging or something about getting rid of Perseus, even though he can eventually make his way back, through my efforts. Don't say anything about this, but just wait for his return. In the meantime, to make a dungeon succeed ― I think I will make it work with the adventurers, not against them, if such a thing is possible."

"It is ― but such effort is much more complicated to pull off. For the effort, I will give you a ten percent discount on your first purchases up to a thousand DP of cost, for a discount up to a hundred DP. You may get similar offers at other locations in the dungeon shopping space, and it can only benefit you, if you don't squander the chance."

"What ― mention Perseus, receive bonuses ― is that how it is?"

"It might be. I've been here a lot of centuries, seen a lot of dungeon masters appear and disappear, as well as gods and goddesses of varied abilities. Rarely do any of them attain the level of popularity he has, in doing not more than just be honest and honorable and kind ― a trait maybe you share too? Ah, never mind; let me get your dungeon shopping card setup."

'Me, honest and honorable? I was a fucking prostitute, who bent business laws to cover my tracks, for the love of raw sex-'

Andromeda sat, silently musing over things said. The informational side of the discussion meant she should beware jealous demigods and demigoddesses, for fear they catch on to what she was trying to help Perseus do.

In the meantime, Mouze took a thin metallic plate just larger than a credit card and ran a steel branding stamp across it, impressing upon it an array of information. He held it across to her, instructing her to press a thumb against one corner for a few seconds. She did, feeling a slightly electric tingle. Then, he took it back, and inserted it into another device on his desk; after touching a few keys, he handed it to her.

"There you go; it's a credit card form generalized for all the stores in this space. Every store is authorized to create such a card for customers, although some of the stores will have different standards on credit and payment. Still; this will take care of your spending limit at this store. A ten percent discount is written in as I have described; plus, I've given you a bonus starting spending grant of one thousand DP, on me. Keep it handy ― other stores can add their own creditor data to the same card. Most stores demand half or more of a carried balance be paid for the month; some demand a one hundred percent payment on the balance. I'm not so worried with you; so as long as a fourth or better is paid when you can, I will keep your account in good standing. You can access your transaction history or current balance whenever and wherever you want, just by touching the card and willing it to show. Something like your dungeon administration menu will pop up, and you can take it from there."

She looked at the card, calling forth the credit details linked into the strip of metal. Each line was as he said, precisely noted.

"Thank you, Mister Mouze, for-"

"Just Mouze. Or maybe even just say Ratwick. I always feel like someone adding the title first is talking to my father."

She pondered if this meant the man's father were still alive ― how long did this race live?

"Eh, anyway. I want to thank you for what you've done for me, in helping me get a good start on the dungeon. I'm not expecting anything out of the normal, and you surprise me. So, now I must be on my way; I will be back often, rest assured."


She shook his hand, so little it seemed, thanked him again for the time spent, then called Alcestis to follow her again. The next stop appeared to be Sydnee's Skill Station, a mere two story building which may also have a basement, by the sunken windows near the ground. Like in the first shop, she felt a slightly repressive feel which hampered but did not end her analysis when nearing the building.

Andromeda hopped up the four steps up of the shop's entry, her loyal slime following behind while she examined an ornate door leading inside. Like Mouze's place, Sydnee's store seemed well stocked with counters, shelves, and more. From what she could see, many objects were books, orbs, and scrolls for useful skills. Some were for the one using the object to learn the skill; others were for the person using the skill without the requirements, essentially a stored skill or spell.

In any case, the quest system still showed she should not, absolutely not, under any circumstance, speak ill of Sydnee's body shape or smell. Whatever this was about-

But rounding a corner, a misshapen creature ― Andromeda did not know how to describe her any way but this ― plodded forward. At first appearance, everything below a waist was built of ten tentacles, slithering along the floor with a slight slippery streak. Her middle part looked like a rotund torso with six thin arms, three per side, one arm on top of another. And the head ― the creature looked like she had a goblin girl's head, messy brown and pink hair too, but larger than human scale. One whiff from the odor coming off the lower half gave Andromeda a feeling of being in an algae infested lake, a feeling she struggled to ignore.

'Oh ... what is this species even called?'

But she had to coach herself; this being is a woman of business, a merchant, a shop owner. Beside this, from the quest text it seemed clear this Sydnee has her own emotions and intellectual needs; dealing with this Sydnee did require tact and courtesy.

"Hello," she spoke. "I am Andromeda, a new dungeon mistress for a demigod named Perseus-"

"Ah yeah, I'm Sydnee. How is ol' Percy? He still stuck in that there desert place?" the shop owner suddenly gushed. "Haven't seen that guy for a couple years!"

From her first words, Andromeda could sense she might be like another type of woman she'd known on Earth. In specific, the type of an elder aunt who knew the truth but wrapped it up in her own interpretation, right or wrong. So even if she 'knew' Perseus to be in the desert dungeon, maybe she somehow thought he would be there because he was 'trapped' within it?

"Eh, if you can keep it between us, I can tell you." Andromeda did not know Sydnee long enough to tell her full situation; but she could allude to the story being a worthy tale. "It's a long story cut short; I am where he was, and he is where I was, in a different world from each other. He sent me to activate and build up the dungeon which has lain slack; which is why I'm here in the dungeon shopping space." She held the credit card in her hand. "Mouze mentioned I might ask about a credit account at the stores I visit; do you also offer this?"

"Indeed. Although I haven't been in business even half as long as Mouze, I can offer at least some of the same terms he might have offered you. Let's head to my office, where I'll take a look-see at the card."

The walk was brief; her office was in the center of this floor. Sydnee did not offer any beverage, but Andromeda did not need any more of the fermented stuff.

The merchant checked the card, somehow whistling in surprise for the credit terms. "Wow. Mouze must have really liked you. I cannot match the bonus or the discount cap; but what about five percent off the first two hundred DP worth of goods, and a starting grant of fifty DP? Eh, balance to be paid fifty percent or better in a month, 'cause I can't really let out too much credit, is this okay?"

"I will take it, graciously and gratefully. Any little bit can only help me better myself or my minions, right?"

"Ya got it right, dear. If I know my skills ― and I am sure I do ― every little bit you can get is well worth it, even for a full price. I ain't cheap, but neither am I too costly. That said, if you're intending to help old Percy, then this is the best I can do for ya. At least, until I know you more."

"It's much appreciated," Andromeda nodded. "What kind of skills do you have?"

"Oh, most of them skills what various monster spawns might have in a dungeon, is where I get a lot of them. Then, some skills what the demigods and above might have, or be able to offer their chosen ones. Some of the skills are unique; some are as common as you would assume possible. Just take a look around the store, you may find something to fit your needs."

"So, then, what about the other way ― do you purchase skills I bring to you?"

"Yeah but, I don't know how you can bring them without bringing the entity ― the ability to extract skills is-"

"I have such an ability," Andromeda admitted as Sydnee handed back the credit card. "But I haven't used it yet. I only have a small handful of minions, slimes like this one I brought with me, but of different subtypes, so ... one is a queen slime who can produce lesser slime minions who have randomized affinities, too. I'm waiting to try skill extraction from a more exotic creature. For reference, do you have some skills which are more in demand than other skills?"

"Basically, any skills which work have a great demand. Light and Dark affinities are both in high demand right now, with the higher numeric strength affinity bringing higher purchased value. And I have one very strange customer who's looking for something to boost his, um, libido ― I'd rather fill his order and then not deal with him after then."

Andromeda raised an eyebrow; she wondered just what Sydnee meant ― libido modifying skills exist? Certainly, she herself had an ability which dealt with fertility itself; would that suffice for that guy's demands?

Or rather, Sydnee (with her crazy exotic biological self) found the customer to be ... distasteful ... seemed to indicate the customer's even stranger yet tastes, even more so odd.

She thought back to the marine customer who killed her ... and shivered.

"Er, ... I, ah, may be able to do something for this guy ― not a skill, but a personal ability ― putting this aside. I will check back here after I've taken inventory of what I have and what I need in my dungeon. Then, there's the chance I might have created a unique skill ― would something unique be salable?"

"Unique? Eh, do tell there, missy."

She spent a few seconds in brief of saying her chance with the water slime, and finished up with a summary. "Basically, it's like a warm water bath but with a touch of holy attribute ― to not only do a minor cure, minor heal, general clean, and a slight bit more."

"I'd buy it ― but I suppose you want to try it out a while longer, to see if there's any side effects. I'd prefer knowing its full parameters and usage, before buying. Something like this should sell well, though."

"Oh, good to know; but unless I'm able to recreate it, it will be only a single item. Thank you for the credit terms, Sydnee."

"And thank you for taking the time to chat with me. Please do come again."


Exiting from Sydnee's shop, Andromeda breathed in and out, a touch of fresh air in this shopping space.

Third on the list was Zal's Zlave Zhop. Call them minions or call them slaves; she had the feeling it came to the same thing ― a contracted relationship with her as a master and others as the servants.

This building was the most massive structure in her current view of the shopping dimension. Standing at five stories tall, at this angle it was almost as long as it was wide, at least twice as wide or long as it was tall. In no way telling if this establishment had an inner courtyard or what ― if it was one solid building, it would have massive amounts of residential, storage, training, and working spaces inside. Perhaps slaves are groomed in some fashion for success ― for at least the success of the company selling their lives.

From the quest description, of 'almost eternally sleepy yet busy as a bee', she expected the shop or the merchant to give her the feeling of a bee themed setting. Well ... a partially correct sense ― she stepped into the hallway leading further inside, and stood before a receptionist's desk with a half human half apian female creature writing in a business journal.

Andromeda opened her mouth, intending to introduce herself, but the girl held out one of her upper arms, while continuing to write with both of the lower limbs on separate pieces of paper. A whole minute passed; then another-

'Oh, okay then, time to call for her boss-'

"Where is your boss?" she asked finally.

The bee girl looked up abruptly, but the face was emotionless. "Down that corridor to the end, take the stairs to the second floor, then ask at the desk."

'I had to wait all this time, for this?'

Nevertheless, Andromeda turned, and followed the instructions. At the second floor reception desk, a near identical bee girl sat, also writing but setting it aside at her approach, said to her, "Hello. Welcome to Zal's Zlave Zhop; how can I be of service to you?"

She introduced herself. "Hello. I am Andromeda, a new dungeon mistress chosen by Perseus-" she noted the recognition in the girl's eyes, and continued. "I am here to become a customer, and to become acquainted with what options I have for obtaining dungeon minions plus various and sundry assistants. If possible, I would also like to ask about setting up any sort of credit account at this establishment."

"Is dear Perseus okay?" begged the bee girl. "I heard rumors, all the latest buzz, but ― oh no, I'm sorry, I-"

"It's okay. It's good to be concerned. He is okay ― last time I saw him ― and he'll be back before you know it," she inserted, much to the girl's intense relief. "But now, about the other parts. May I see Zal?"

The girl nodded, touched a box on her desk, and began talking in a buzzing and humming voice, someone at the other end of the magical intercom replying in kind. After a minute of back and forth, the bee girl returned her attention to Andromeda. "The boss is in another meeting, but if you can hold on for a few minutes, she can see you then."

"Okay," she acknowledged, and turned to look for a chair.

But the bee girl had other ideas. "So, can you, um, tell me about ... about Perseus?"

She raised an eyebrow. "What, is he like some local legend? ... Never mind, I will tell you a story."

Through the next several dozen minutes, she told this girl her own story, as well as what she knew or suspected about her benefactor. She didn't even know why she did it ― perhaps, by this point in time, she felt the need to talk about her circumstances, to someone other than the bouncing little slimes. Alcestis just followed along but had no input or output on the topic. But the bee girl was raptly attentive, taking in every single detail Andromeda chose to speak.

And then, this brought the tale up to this point. She didn't go into telling her experiences with the other merchants; some things were left out for the sake of necessity.

From the hall beyond the attentive receptionist, an older matronly bee woman appeared ― or perhaps had been standing, listening to Andromeda's tale. "Ah, I can see you now."


Following the bee creature back to her office, she passed one room stated by a plaque on the door, 'Breakroom', but it smelled sweet, like warmed honey.

Once there, Andromeda repeated the same self introduction, and the bee woman nodded.

"I hear many good things come from those Perseus chooses. He is the Demigod of Fortune, after all; many of his followers tend to have blessed traits. Yes, I can ensure you have a permanent credit line here in my establishment; and if you have any minions to sell later, then see me directly for the best deal. For example, your little slime creature here," she pointed a limb toward Alcestis, who shuddered briefly. "I would pay a one time payment to you of five hundred forty dungeon points-"

"This one is special to me, it's the first one I had join me of its own free will. Sorry."

"Ah, I do understand; and it's fine if it's like this. Well then, shall we get on to the business at hand?"

She handed her metal credit card over to the matron, and watched as she examined the card's details. Like Sydnee, Zal also showed surprised in the the plainly visible previous credit details.

"If they do this much, then I too-" the woman trailed off, finishing the account creation in a rather prompt fashion. "So. I give you a ten percent discount on purchases up to a million DP in the first decade of credit, which declines to five percent after this, or until a million DP purchase threshold is crossed. Plus, as a starting bonus, I may give you a one thousand DP immediate purchase advance, on me. Pay as you can or not, each billing cycle, but I have a no-nonsense five percent balance carrying fee on leftover balances past the end of a month, as computed local to this space."

"Oh then, I accept," Andromeda acquiesced to the terms, obtaining her card once more. "Can I see some examples of the individuals I can expect to obtain from your establishment? And maybe see if I can select my first batch of them?"

"Certainly," Zal nodded. "But. I have some exceedingly diligent slaves which are costly, as well as some unfortunate ones who are exceedingly regularly passed over for purchase. For someone as blessed as you are by your patron, perhaps the latter might be better for a starting dungeon? To be honest, it also helps me to clear out the older merchandise. So I ask you, Andromeda ― which end of that spectrum do you wish to start examining?"

She hadn't expected this declaration; yet she smiled as she worked up a courageous answer of her own. "Ah, like you, I too have a no-nonsense habit. Since Perseus had extended his mercy upon me where I should be dead at the hand of another, then I also want to extend what mercy I can, upon whatever living minions that I can bring into my dungeon. Even if the one in question is also overlooked by other customers. Is this satisfactory?"

"Most definitely. Come ― to the storage room we go!"

'Eh ... minions and slaves ... in a storage room?'

... um hoping it isn't too late to say this ... I hope nobody'd be upset if poor ol' Rommie gets preggers in a chapter or two.

Spoiler

(Well that's one way to expand a dungeon's complement of minions....)

[collapse]

12