Chapter 13: Finally Safe?
250 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After witnessing the massive amount of trees get thorn into the air, heat waves followed as they generated mist that conducted electrical energy. 

Surprisingly, these trees are very heat resistant as no forest fire occurred. I and the others were still in a daze by all this. Never in my life had I expected to witness something like this. 

‘Gulp’ 

Things calmed down as brother Al was still unconscious. There wasn’t much to be done. Hilos calmly leaned on a tree as he yawned. 

Um… Mister Hilos?” I hesitantly called out to him. 

“What up, kiddo?” he replied. 

He looks pretty relaxed and more friendly than I thought… though his way of speaking kind of reminds me of a delinquent. 

“What… just occurred?” I had to ask. Even though I kept up with everything happening, it felt so surreal that I needed a proper explanation. 

“Oh? Well, nothing you should concern yourself with. Just that this brat over here used some really destructive magic,” he replied. 

...Magic, huh…? Brother Al told us a little about magic but… didn’t go into so much detail… c-can I ask you about it… y’know, while we wait for the mist to fade….” 

Mister Hilos stared at me and seemed to ponder over something. 

“Sure, what’d ya wanna know?” 

What do I want to know…? I’m not sure, to be honest, that magic I just witnessed… it was scary, but… can I do it too? 

Bother Al told us that the likelihood of us returning to our world was close to zero. So… if possible, I’d want to learn and study magic as well….

...How does one become strong?” I uttered. 

Mister Hilos smiled, “What? Impressed? If you only knew what’s out there, kiddo.” 

‘Gasp’ 

What do you mean?” I awkwardly asked. 

“What I meant is there are beings out there capable of demolishing these places we call cities. Despite how safe they are and how secure people feel, there’s always something beyond their comprehension. Y’know, it’s encouraged by most governments to not leave the city, in turn making some of the population weaker as they rely on the protection provided.” Hilos said as he grinned. “They aren’t forced to, so there are some oddballs called adventurers venturing out. By the way, he’s one of those oddballs. But then again, he’s not from this world.” 

“...What are you trying to say….” I inquired. 

“Kiddo. Most people aren’t capable of this because they’re not exposed to danger, nor do they practise to become stronger. You’re probably asking yourself if there was a possibility for you to be able to do the same, right? Well, with hard work, sure you can.” 

…He saw straight through me… of course, I’d want to become stronger. After all, this world is a little like a game with magic and swords. From the looks of the gear brother Al carries around, is it safe to assume that it’s advanced as well? 

“A little advice from this old me.” Hilos continued. “Name your spells or attacks, its effect will be much clearer once you do. Besides that, mana manipulation is more important to practise since your mana will grow as you cast spells. So perfecting that is essential.” 

…Brother Al did mention that…. 

“I see, then… can I ask another question?” I asked. 

“Sure thing,” Hilos casually replied. 

What are you?” 

“.....” Hilos quietly stared at me. Unlike his calm and chill atmosphere before, this one seems haunting. “Do you really want to know?” 

I gulped, as this may be the demi-god brother Al was referring to. 

Yes….” I weakly said. 

Hahaha, well, nothing special really, just a spirit that haunts this brat’s sword.” 

Spirit? 

I looked at him with puzzlement. But he ignored my bewilderment. 

“Well, if you find a friendly spirit, try making a contract wouldn’t hurt. Hmm, I also noticed that you paid close attention to the brat. You’ve got a water attribute too? Well, try and copy some of what he does, and I think you’ll be fine, but don't be as reckless as this idiot.” 

…Right, I saw that he condensed water into a state close to a solid or that he made ice into a liquid… as strange as it sounds, it sounds very plausible with the use of magic…. I, too, did something familiar with that icicle I launched at the mimic…. 

At that time, I trapped water vapours and prevented them from liquefying as I released the pressure that trapped them. It caused a vapour explosion which sent away the projectile…. So… I was already doing something along those principles… but now I got new ideas as well…

Interesting…. 

Miss Hilda tugged my shirt, and with a worried look, she asked, “...are you going to come out here later when we get to safety…?” 

…I wasn’t sure how to reply. If I said yes, it would only worry her, but she probably already assumed what my answer would be….

So… 

“No… I don’t think I’ll be that reckless, besides… I have Julia to take care of as well….” I replied. 

As I said that, Julia hugged me from behind. Her hands were shaking, and she’d buried her face in my back. 

I could sense some moisture as she cried, and I could tell that the others had also fully lost their composure. It was natural, after all… everyone was keeping up a facade in this ridiculous situation, and that massive explosion was probably their breaking point. 

And seeing Julia like this, everyone started to tear up and cry as well, even Miss Hilda buried her face in the pillow and faced down….. 

What am I thinking… 

‘Sigh…’ 

I sighed and was a little fed up with myself. 

A game, huh… screw that. This is our new reality… even if it’s my coping mechanism… I have to realise actual danger… not only for myself but for those around me as well…. 

And as I thought that, all the mist cleared as a massive object hovered above us. Everyone looked up at its majestic sight as people descended from said object. It was an aircraft of sorts…. 

They stood outside the cracked barrier and observed us. They don’t appear to be foes, and among them was a girl who wore noticeably different attire from the rest. 

They let her pass as they lightly bowed their heads. The girl has silver-grey hair, purple eyes, an elegant aura, and a soft look. She wore nun/sister clothes as she glanced at the unconscious brother Al and looked saddened. Her gaze became sharp as she stared at Mister Hilos. 

Hilos, what’s the meaning of this?” she asked as she entered the barrier, but the others didn't appear to be able to. 

I could hear that she was suppressing her anger, but… lady… that anger is directed at the wrong person… he didn’t do anything wrong…. 

Oh…? Missy… Well…” Hilos tried to explain himself as he appeared to shrink and be timid in her presence. 

U-um… Miss, please don’t direct your anger at him….” I timidly said. 

The others also said things like, “he saved us!” or “he didn’t do anything wrong!” 

She looked at us and seemed guilty as she bit her lip. 

“...I’m sorry…” she apologised to Hilos, “I…I lost my cool a little, seeing Al tattered like that….” she confessed. She then looked at us, saying, “Thank you for helping me realise I was in the wrong,” and softly smiled. 

…It was an angelic smile indeed…. Could this be brother Al’s fiance?

     Saint          Julia

6