Chapter 25: We’re… Getting There….
124 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s been a day since our arrival on floor 10. It’s… how do I say this? It doesn’t feel any different whatsoever…. 

Then again, we’re technically on campus that hosts many different schools….

“Aska, do you think this armour will suit me?” Isak asked. 

He held an armour set that was pretty dark in colour, honestly… it looks pretty damn cool. But also… it does look relatively heavy…. 

Isn’t it a bit heavy for you?” I inquired as I took a closer look. 

He scratched his head. “Well… y’know? It’s cool… but also, I’ll be the frontliner, so it’s a compromise.” 

“Isn’t it going to slow you down?” Julia asked. 

Hilda nodded her head as well. To which Isak responded with a, “Well… it will slow me down, but I did say it was a compromise, right?” 

Admit…. You just want to look cool,” Julia said. 

Ugh…” 

““Pff… ahaha.”” 

Hilda and I began giggling as we watched the two interact. It seems like they’ve opened up a little more. A little bit back—a few days or so. They had nothing to say to one another. 

So… I’m glad they’re getting along. 

“Is that wrong? Like… if I save a girl looking all cool, won’t she fall for me!?” 

Julia shrugged. “Good luck, bud,” she replied with a smug grin. 

Isak gritted her teeth, “Aska! Say something to this little brat!” 

Eeh… I mean… she’s not wrong….” 

“Isak! I know you can do it…!” Hilda encouragingly exclaimed. 

Isak looked defeated and fell to his knees… “No way… t-then!? What do girls like then!?” he cried, pleading to Julia and Hilda. 

Hey… you’re not seeking any advice from your bestie…!?

““What girls like?”” Julia and Hilda replied. 

“Isak… I think they…. No, wait, I think it’s the desperation in your eyes that turn them away….” 

Julia nodded to Hilda’s statement, “Yeah, pretty much what she said.” 

‘Sob’

“Aska!!!! Why are they being so mean to meee!?” Isak latched onto me with tears in his eyes….

Dude… we’re getting them strange stares from everyone! 

Uhh… well—” 

And as I was about to reply, Princess Luna walked in, making sure everyone had picked something suitable. 

For the record, I chose something light, and I’ll be mostly using a spell called [Mana Armour], so… I’ll be relying on mana to protect myself, and this is pretty much back up. 

Ooh! I also chose a double edge dagger as my weapon of choice, mainly because… well. I don’t actually know… lol? 

“Well then. Now that you’re all geared up, let’s head outside the campus, shall we?” 

Gulp…

We’ll engage in combat again. This time, I hope it isn’t life-threatening. But then again… Isak and I fought like maniacs for a few days, so… I hope I won’t freeze when it comes down to it. 

— :::: — 

After equipping all of our gear, we headed out to test them out. It will be very different compared to the controlled fights we’ve had previously. 

Julia was a little grumpy, but she held my hand, squeezing them. I could feel some micro shakes, but… that’s hardly anything new. She’s nervous, after all. 

“Julia, you nervous?” 

“Obviously,” she replied. “That’s why I’m holding your hand, to begin with….” 

Aww… she’s endearing…. 

“Well… I want to say something cool like, “I’ll protect you,” and so on…. But… I’m weaker than any of you, so… can I ask you to protect me? Dear Julia?” 

“Aska… I’ll d-do my best…” Julia replied. Her mouth was a little wavy, but her grip was firmer than before—she even stopped shaking. Instead… her face was flushed red. 

Hilda also joined in, holding Julia’s other hand. “Julia, I’m with you as well~,” she playfully said. 

H-Hildaaaa~! I-it’s Aska who needs protecting! N-not me!” 

Aww, you’re so cute~!” 

…I’m happy they get along…. And as for Isak. He has a somewhat lonely look on his face. But he gently smiled as he watched the two girls interact. 

So… as I slipped away from them. I tried nudging him with my elbow. But… this bastard dodged and linked our arms…. 

C’mon! He wasn’t even paying attention! 

Hm? Aska?! Huh… how did we get like this…?” he inquired. 

“......” 

Can I punch this guy…? 

“You seem out of it,” I replied. I sighed and gently bumped my fist on his chest. “You’re such a pain, you know that?” 

“...what do you mean?” Isak replied, playing dumb. 

“What? I know you, and I can tell there’s somethin’ on yer mind,” I playfully said with a grin. 

“...why’re yer talkin’ like that?” 

“Pff… you’re one to talk,” I replied and giggled. 

...ahaha, well, just mimicking you.” Isak then let out a sigh, “You know… it’s a bit lonesome,” Isak confessed. “I’ve been thinking a lot, but… I never seem to be able to get over the fact that we’re in another world. This place is strange, man… it’s enough of another world. But it’s comfortable enough to make me feel at home—except for all my family, of course.” 

Oh? How about the Internet? They don’t have the internet here, and some other stuff like online games and television.” 

True… but I don’t mind. It’s not like I was on the internet all that much anyways.” 

“How about tv?” 

“I just go to the theatre. They’re… actually way cooler than tv, in my opinion.” 

“...when did you go to the theatre?” I curiously inquired. 

Isak grinned, “Well… someone got me into it…” he replied. 

He seemed a little lonely saying that. 

So that person was special to him, huh…? 

“Also… it’s like… really cool with the use of magic. We should go watch sometimes.” 

“Just us?” 

“Are you against that? We can invite the others if you wa—” 

“Nah, I’m good.” 

“I see… I’ll go alone again next time then—” 

“Wait, that’s not what I meant, y’know? Just the two of us.”

As I said that, Isak had a surprised look on his face. 

Huh?” he uttered. “Like… you’re not inviting Julia and Hilda as well?” 

…our arms are still linked, so… I struck him with my elbow. 

Ouch!?” Isak groaned. “What was that for!?” 

 “Njyihihi~, I wish I had a camera ready—you should’ve seen your face!” 

Why you…!” 

Isak seemed to have pent-up stress, but he didn’t lash out or anything like that. And that’s my worry. He’s putting up this cheerful facade. Which I find worrisome. I mean. If I didn’t know the guy, I’d assume nothing was wrong with him. 

“Seriously… why did you suddenly strike me?” Isak tried asking again. 

“I felt irritated,” I nonchalantly replied. 

“...when did you have anger issues?” 

“...C’mon, it’s not like that,” I said. 

This time, Isak looked at me with a deadpan look, asking, “What is it then…?” 

“...it’s like one of those scenarios where one of your friends gets a girlfriend,” I said. 

“What…?” 

Ah… well, you know? Just because I got some romance in my life doesn’t mean that I won’t be hanging out with you, and I mean a proper hang out with just us, y’know?” 

Hmpf… that’s not my concern…” Isak replied. He was shyly scratching his cheek as he blushed…. 

What the hell!? Is Julia’s personality contagious!? 

Dammit! I said something embarrassing too, and my face is eating up as well! 

In that instance—Princess Luna’s eyes and mine met. 

Isak and I were still linking arms, so… this was quite awkward. Still… it didn’t seem like she minded it as she let out a small sigh before declaring, “We’ll have a feast tonight, and of course, you’re the ones that will hunt for this feast, be it vegetation, fish or beasts, they will be graded. You’re on your own, so try not to die.” 

…try to not die!? 

Everyone in the crowd stiffened as they heard that. Of course, they would…! 

“Just kidding,” Princess Luna flatly said. “You won’t die but may be severely injured as I won’t interfere unless it’s a life-threatening situation. For the record, I sent Al away on an errand. And unlink him, and I won’t be soft on you.” 

Mister Hilos sinisterly smiled as well. “You know? Unlike that kiddo, this sweety really ain’t no softie.” 

‘Gulp…’

“...Master Hilos, I prefer you just to call me Luna….”

…I somehow don’t connect a non-softie and sweety together… is it maybe because… they’re the opposite!?

But… she’s secretly a very sweet person… right…? 

…..

Ahhh! Ketchup! Soooo much fucking ketchup, my leg, my damn leeeeg! 

“Aska!” Isak cried as he rushed to me. 

Hey, idiot! Your back!” I cried. 

This redhead was being careless as one of the beast’s tentacles pierced his shoulder. “Keh…!” 

Oh… there’s more ketchup… well, I’ll be honest, ketchup and spaghetti? I feel like I won’t be able to eat any pasta for a while. Especially if there’s tomato sauce on it—wait? Do they have tomatoes? Maybe some other form of tomato-like?

And as I was having stupid thoughts, Isak’s blood slashed on my cheek. And a bit further away, Julia and Hilda screamed in horror. 

I could see Princess Luna watching over us, but… she wasn’t doing anything. 

Really… she kept her word. This means… we won’t need her help in this situation—yet at least….

Shit! 

As the situation got more severe. I poured more mana into [Eye of Concept] to further accelerate my thoughts. 

Isak was just stabbed by a tentacle. Julia and Hilda are about 50 meters away. Julia’s trying to just move toward us as fast as she can, and Hilda is pouring way too much mana into her magic. 

Not good….. 

What’s worse, Isak has a dreadful look. I know he’s sort of a softie and has no real pain tolerance… it’s making him panic. 

Ugh… my leg, it’s pierced. It hurts like hell, to be honest, and if I force it, my bones will fracture even more. 

Think Aska… think! 

…! That’s it! 

I pulled Isak with all my strength, and we switched places. The tentacle was about to retract, but I firmly held onto it. 

The creature threw me up into the air, thinking I won’t be able to move. It launched all of its tentacles infused with lightning. 

Okay…  damn, it got me. 

I’ll just end up electrocuting myself if I use any [Water Threads] to bind the tentacles. 

Plan B, then…. 

And as the tentacles were about to connect, I propelled myself with [Water Vapur] as I used [Water Thread] on a tree to pull me down faster as the tentacles were following me. 

I made eye contact with Julia, and she made a grim expression. I could tell that she wanted to run to catch me, but I shook my head. 

“Julia! Shoot it!” I cried. 

“!!!!” 

She nodded and prepared an arrow. This wasn’t for pure damage per se. 

As I was about to hit the ground, Isak caught me. “Thanks,” I said. 

Ahh… you’re a damn pain, you know?” Isak said. 

We then heard a loud ‘boom’ as Julia's pressurised wind arrow momentarily stunned the beast. 

“Isak, do you trust me?” I asked.

“I do,” he replied. 

I softly smiled as I wrapped my strings around his limbs. 

“...I’ll help you evade attacks, so just go all out.” 

Hmm… that’s interesting,” Isak said with a grin before dashing towards the beast. 

…when I was up in the air and shot down [Water Threads], I connected them to different trees, so in this case, I can just switch threads, and depending on direction, I can pull Isak where he needs to be. 

Of course, I’m not restricting his movements, as I’ll only pull when he’s about to get hit—

As I was in deep thought, the sky suddenly turned crimson. 

Crap… I forgot Hilda was preparing a spell…. 

So… before Isak could reach the beast, I pulled him with all that I was able to muster. And a change of plans. Instead of [Water Threads], I switched to [Ice Chains] to restrict the beast as much as possible. 

Hilda also cast a barrier around us. 

But… 

Right after that, a fire tornado emerged from the sky, tearing the beast into pieces as the flames burnt it to a crisp…. 

This is just chaos… I think we need to work on our team play…. 

And… our food… T-T 

1