43. The King’s jealousy
26 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Irene looked around her in confusion. Her head felt heavy as though she had drunk tons and tons of vodka while her body was exhausted. She could not help but look around her in confusion as she rubbed her forehead.

But unlike her, the people around her showed no reaction whatsoever, puzzling her all the more. It was as though they did not even know what had happened a few moments ago.

"Are you guys alright? Are you hurt anywhere? What the hell happened here?" She blurted out without thinking, and the people around her gave her a weird glance. Her concerned look went completely unnoticed by them and all they were focused on was what she had spoken a moment ago. Though they did not understand a few words, they still discerned what she was trying to ask them and they gave her a puzzled look in return.

"What happened, Milady? Is something the matter? Are you feeling unwell suddenly or are you hurt?" Reyna questioned her immediately in worry and her words only made Lucian look at Sylvaine questioningly.

At first, he too had been dumbfounded to hear her use words he had no idea about. It was only after hearing from Reyna did he realize what the problem might have been. 'Is Lady Sylvaine injured? How is that possible? She was fine just a few moments ago. How did she fall sick suddenly?' He thought and moved closer to Sylvaine to observe her and her condition.

Other than her puzzled look and many questions swirling in her eyes, he did not find anything abnormal in her. On the contrary, she seemed to be perfectly in good health. Her skin was glowing beautifully, evoking his desire to caress her cheeks and hold her hands.

Lucian had to use a lot of strength to stop himself from doing what his heart yearned to do lest he should scare the girl who already seemed worried.

"Didn't we fall unconscious just now? How did it happen?" Irene completely ignored their concerns and focused on the topic at hand. "How could all of us fall unconscious at the same time? Is this some sort of magic?" She continued, but her words made no sense to anyone around her.

While the guards protecting her gave her a strange look, wondering if she had lost her mind, Reyna and Lucian started to fear for her health. She was behaving abnormally and they could not help but feel restless and anxious.

"What are you talking about, Milady? When did we fall unconscious? You have been mistaken." Reyna tried to reason with her. Her eyes had already turned red in fright and all she wanted was to take her mistress back home and let her rest for the day. 'She must have been exhausted. She will recover once she sleeps for a while.' So she thought to herself and tried to convince her.

But Irene was not convinced by her and she refused to believe her. She had seen how the people around her fainted one by one as if they had breathed a poisonous gas or as an effect of a spell. She did not even have the time to fear the situation, for she immediately felt her head turning heavy while her eyes blurred slowly. Eventually, her legs gave away and she succumbed to the darkness.

However, unlike the other people, she had not forgotten anything that had transpired before she closed her eyes. She had clearly seen Reyna lying just beside her and that was how it was the moment she woke up to.

"Why don't you guys remember anything? We were lying just here a few minutes ago. All of us fainted at once. How can you forget it?" She pointed to the spot where they all had been lying before they got up. In her state of anxiousness, Irene completely forgot where she was as well as the person had become. She returned to her original character, speaking as she did in her previous life.

Lucian stepped closer to her, unable to see her in worry and held her shoulders tenderly, and the moment he did so, Kieran, who was watching them silently, glared at him in anger. His fury rose immensely and he was just short of losing himself to the momentum.

Since the time he had heard Irene ask them about the situation where everyone had fainted at once, he had been in awe. She was the only one who remembered the events that had transpired, unlike the others who had forgotten about it at the snap of his fingers. He had seen her look of confusion and bewilderment before it turned to panic and finally settling on terror.

Irene was terrified by what had happened and Kieran had the sudden urge to go to her and comfort her. He did not intend to see her in misery and reprimanded himself for putting her through such agony. But before he could take a step forward, the man beside Irene approached her and held her shoulders as he spoke to her in a calm, consoling tone.

Kieran's expression changed drastically and he was livid. All he wanted to do was rush to them and rip the man's head off for even being in such proximity to his girl, let alone touch her. His possessiveness had taken over him completely. He clenched his fists tight while his black eyes slowly turned red.

Seymour sensed the changes in his King and he was shocked to see how terrifying he looked. He had never seen his King this furious, not even during the court session where he had found out about his brother's involvement in killing the women from the small village. He could not decipher what made the King lose his cool this quickly.

"Your Majesty," Seymour spoke to him, but the man was too furious to hear his words. He was just about to unleash his wrath on the man who had touched his Irene when he saw the girl herself move away. And just like that, his anger subdued and vanished immediately. A small, relieved smile landed on his lips as he stared at his girl, praising her for her quick thinking.

Seymour was once again stunned to see the sudden shift in his King's emotions. The raging devil had been tamed and had calmed down even without him doing anything to pacify him. A moment ago, he was seething in rage. But now, he had become as calm as a clear sky. Seymour could not help but wonder what had happened and why his King was switching his moods this quickly.

0