54. Questions and answers
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Irene could not sleep whatsoever and she kept tossing and turning on her bed. The events from before kept running in her mind, forcing her to stay wide awake. She stared at the ceiling as she lay on the bed with her hands on her stomach.

"How did we lose consciousness all of a sudden?" She mumbled and bit the inside of her right cheek thoughtfully. "And why does no one remember what happened?"

Irene narrowed her eyes and tapped her right fingers on her left hand. 'What is happening here? Who can answer my questions?' She wondered and pushed herself off the bed, unable to stay still anymore.

The window was closed and Irene opened it, allowing the cold air to hit her cheeks. Her loose hair fluttered with the wind as she watched the garden at night, admiring the view for a moment before she returned to her convoluted thoughts.

Irene leaned against the window and looked at the moon. 'Will Father be able to answer me? Should I confront him about it?'

Irene yawned until her eye teared up. But she did not move from the window, allowing the cool breeze to calm her mind. Slowly, she started to analyze all that had happened to her.

"First, I transmigrated from my world to this place under strange circumstances." She pursed her lips and tilted her head thoughtfully.

"Second, the King of Rothnia was able to light a fire magically without using anything," Irene recalled the man who had occupied her thoughts since the time she had seen him on the first night of the Mid-Autumn Festival. His enigmatic self had ignited her curiosity and she wanted to know more about him.

"Third, how did we lose our consciousness all of a sudden and why does nobody else remember it?" Irene blinked, her eyes clouded with confusion as she kept looking at the moon.

"Fourth, what the hell is happening in my dreams? Who is the man or men should I say?" She pulled her hair lightly in frustration. "I don't even know how many people have entered my dreams."

Although she had only seen one man's face clearly in her dream, she had an inkling that he was not the one who had chased her in the jungle. The man who chased her was predatory and fearsome and his intentions were clear, he wanted to kill her.

'While....' Irene's face heated up when she thought about the man who always waited for her in front of the painting in the castle. The man seemed especially caring and gentle towards her. From his expression and words, it seemed he had been waiting for her all these years.

As soon as the thought entered her mind, the man's face overlapped with the King's and she jerked immediately. It was too unbelievable to be true and her lips parted in shock.

"Is he the one who haunts my dreams?" Irene mumbled but shook her head immediately. "How can it be? I don't think so and why will the King haunt my dreams? What will he get out of it?"

Irene sighed and lowered her eyes, focusing on the fountain. The light from the moon reflected on the water in the fountain, giving it an ethereal feeling, while the flowers in the garden moved to the rhythm of the window.

"Moreover, he already has a Queen." She thought sadly and felt a pang in her heart immediately, making her widen her eyes when she realized what she had said. "Why am I concerned that he has a Queen? Why does it bother me so much? What is happening?"

Irene was so baffled for a moment that she stared blankly, not knowing what to think or even make out of her situation. She snapped out of her thoughts only when another breeze blew.

"You have gone crazy, Irene. Get your thoughts right." She shook her head to remove unwanted thoughts and focused on the crucial matters. "Forget about the King and his Queen for now. Think about the bizarre events happening with you."

"Next, who is the guy I saw in the garden the other day? Where did he vanish and how did no one notice him?" She tapped her fingers on her elbows and stiffened instantly when the man's dreadful face flashed before her.

Although the hood of his cloak covered his eyes, she still felt the negative energy and murderous intent from him and she trembled in her place. The man was not present before her, yet Irene still felt a lingering fear for him.

"Should I speak to Father about this matter? Will he have answers for me?" Irene wondered and sighed again when she could not decide even after a long time had passed. "Father must know a thing or two about the King. Maybe he will...."

"Wait a minute..." A bold idea entered Irene's mind and unknowingly her eyes twinkled like the stars in the sky. "Should I go and confront the King directly? Maybe he might have the answers I so desperately seek."

Irene's heart started to beat erratically and a smile landed on her face gradually. "Maybe I should confront him head-on and discover what is happening."

Irene was convinced that only the King had answers to her questions and she decided to speak to her father about it in the morning. With a clear head, she returned to her bed and this time, she fell asleep in no time.

However, barely had she entered her dreamland, she heard a stranger whispering to her, his voice enchanting but filled with a daunting promise.

"Irene." The man whispered, and Irene quivered in fright. She wanted to move away from the voice. But she was frozen in her spot and she could not move even after trying hard.

"I could not meet you after you returned. I had to leave before I could even get to talk to you. But do not worry, my dear." He mumbled and Irene did not miss the delight in his tone.

"I will meet you again after a year and nobody will be able to stop me. Until then..." The man breathed and Irene stayed still as she held her breath. "Wait for me."

The voice vanished and Irene's body relaxed. She went back to sleep immediately and everything became peaceful once again.

0