56. Ridiculousness
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Seymour looked at his daughter, perplexed. Her request was unexpected and almost impossible to fulfill. Curious to know why, he leaned forward, smiling at her warmly.

"Why do you want to meet His Majesty, dear? Is something the matter?" A myriad of possibilities flashed through his mind and his heart skipped a beat when one notion dominated everything else.

'Did Sylvaine fall for His Majesty's charms? Does she like him?' A shiver ran down his spine when he thought of the possibility. It was the most bizarre prospect he could come up with and immediately, his King's foreboding gaze appeared before him, jostling him from his thoughts in fear.

"Father, what's wrong? What happened?" Irene jolted up to see the old Duke mortified all of a sudden. His face was pale and his forehead was heavily beaded with perspiration.

"Sylvaine," Seymour sighed, aggrieved to think that his daughter liked the young King. Although he trusted the powerful man, he was uncertain if he could trust him with his daughter, even more so when he already had a Queen.

'How do I tell you that you are bound for heartbreak? His Majesty will never take a concubine. He loves his Queen dearly.'

Irene did not miss the anguish in her father's eyes and her heart dropped all the more. 'What's wrong with him? Did I speak anything wrong? Did I go overboard with my request? Is it a sin to meet the King? But why?'

She could still not understand what had petrified her old man and she scooted closer to him, glancing at Reyna, who held a similar expression as her father's, stupefying her all the more.

"Father, what's wrong? Should I not meet the King? Will I be punished for doing so?" Irene held his palm in hers and patted it lightly.

"Sylvaine, dear, will you answer this question of mine?"

Irene was puzzled to see the man look at her suspiciously. Her forehead creased into a frown and she gave him a confused look. Yet, she nodded at him in response. "Yes, Father. What is it? What is bothering you?"

"Do you like His Majesty?"

"What?" Irene almost jumped in shock. Her eyes widened and she gaped at the man as if he was a fool.

"Do you like the young King? Is this why you want to meet him?" Seymour gazed at his daughter, hoping she would deny his claims.

Irene blinked at him a few times before the realization hit her and she burst out laughing, startling the other two people in the room. She teared up as she held her stomach, the absurdity of her father's thoughts making her double over in laughter.

Seymour's expression changed into confusion from worry and he glanced at Reyna to confirm that he was not the only baffled one.

"Father..." Irene wheezed as she tried to suppress her laughter. "Did I ever tell you that you are so cute?"

"What?" Seymour could not discern what his daughter was mumbling and his frown deepened.

"Father, why did you assume that I like His Majesty?" Irene still could not comprehend how her father had come to that conclusion. 'Did my words suggest that? But I never mentioned anything about liking the handsome man.' She wondered as she wiped her tears.

"Did you just not request to meet His Majesty? I thought..."

"Father...Father..." Irene now perceived where the misunderstanding had happened. "I do not like His Majesty. Really."

Seymour was unassured. "Then, why do you want to meet him?"

"I just had a request to make of him. It's not that important."

"You can tell me, dear. I will speak to His Majesty about it." Seymour was oddly relieved that his daughter did not like His Majesty. Although the young King was a fine man, he was still unworthy of his daughter.

'But is there anyone else worthy of Sylvaine in Rothnia?' He wondered. The thought was just brief, his daughter's voice distracted him immediately.

"It's not that important, Father. Do not worry." Irene persuaded him and eventually, the old Duke gave up probing further into the matter.

"If you say so, dear. But please know that you can come to me if you need anything, anything at all."

"I understand, Father. Thank you." Irene was relieved to see the old man no longer suspecting her feelings for the King. Although the powerful man was charming and attractive, she had nothing for him besides admiration.

'Moreover, he is not even my type.' She thought and shook her head, still bewildered about her father's assumptions.

"Good girl. Now rest well. I need to go to the palace. I have some important matters to handle." Seymour was desperate to meet his King and find out all that had happened the previous night. Castiel's presence was a huge threat to them and it was best if he was dealt with quickly.

'If only I could accompany you.' Irene wished and sighed in her mind.

"Do not worry, Father. I am fine."

"And you are not going to the Mid-Autumn Festival today."

"But Father..."

"I said no. You need to rest." Seymour's expression turned stern, although his eyes were filled with dotingness for her.

Irene realized that no amount of wheedling or begging would work. So, she gave up persuading him. "Fine, I will listen to you." She grumbled and folded her hands.

"Good girl." Seymour's expression softened and he caressed her hair lovingly. "Rest well, dear. I will see you later."

"Yes, Father. I will wait for you."

Seymour's smile faded when he turned to Reyna and the young maid cowered in her place. "Take good care of her. I am letting you go this time."

"Yes, Your Grace. Thank you for showing mercy on me."

Seymour scoffed and walked out of the room while Irene just shook her head helplessly.

"Please forgive me, Reyna. I put you in trouble this time."

"No, no, Milady. It was my fault, I should have taken better care of you."

Irene did not argue with her. The cycle would only be endless with each considering themself to be at fault. Instead, she returned to the thoughts she had quelled some time ago.

'I cannot rely on my father to meet the King. It looks like I will have to plan this on my own.' She mused and glanced at Reyna, standing beside her bed silently. 'And I know just what to do.'

0