Recruitment (VI)
204 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the heart of the city stood a towering skyscraper, its gleaming glass exterior reflecting the busy streets around it. Inside, the building was bustling with activity as dozens of hopeful job applicants vied for a coveted position.

In a spacious room with a large glass window on one side, sunlight streamed in and illuminated the entire room. A man sat at a long table, while opposite him was a woman sitting on a chair, neatly dressed. She looked nervous as the man who was supposed to be interviewing her remained silent.

They had been in the room for about ten minutes, but no sound came out between them. Unable to bear this awkward atmosphere, she ventured to ask a question.

"Excuse me, sir. When will we start the interview?"

Klaus turned to the woman with a lazy gaze. "I'm sorry. I was thinking about something. Let's start the interview."

Then, Klaus began to ask various questions, such as "what is your motivation for working at this place", "what are your advantages over other applicants", or "give us a reason why I should accept you", and the woman carefully answered them.

After about twenty questions, Klaus gave her permission to leave the room. She made a small dash for the exit, while Klaus leaned back in his chair, looking at the ceiling with a bored look on his face.

"Damn. I thought doing interviews would be fun."

This was Mors Industries' seventh day of mass recruitment, and over the past seven days, he had interviewed thousands of people. Of course, Klaus was not alone. His father had arranged for several HR people to screen the applicants, but Klaus asked Steve to set aside some space so he could join them. Besides getting to know their qualities first-hand, Klaus wanted to gain experience.

However, the reality did not match his expectations.

Selecting the applicants turned out to be a very tiring job. In the early days, Klaus enjoyed it. As Klaus interviewed more and more applicants, he realized that most applicants think like a textbook. They gave the same answers.

Though they had different backgrounds and education, they were like robots that had been programmed in their heads. Klaus could not see the uniqueness in them, even the people who got recommendations from Jonathan.

Not to mention, Mors Industries had no requirements on age, gender, and education. As a result, the number of job applicants was booming though the company had just opened.

"I guess I was too idealistic. I should have taken my father's word for it."

Another reason why Klaus was still doing this though he's bored to death, was because there's someone he's waiting for, but that person hadn't come yet.

Klaus reached into his pocket and pulled out a necklace, with a worn-out eye-shaped pendant. He twirled it in the air. It was the arcana he had taken from a spatial ring belonging to an awakener.

Eye of Laplace.

"Damn it, that woman isn't coming."

He was still doing this interview because he was waiting for the waitress that he met a few weeks ago, Sylvia.

That woman had an amazing talent, controlling time. In Klaus' previous life, only a few people were able to do so. Even he himself could not. Meeting someone who could manipulate time was like finding a gem.

Klaus thought that she would be interested in his offer, but he was wrong. She did not try to call or come to this building. Even Klaus asked the other HR members many times, but they said there were no applicants by the name of Sylvia.

Klaus was eager to get her because she was one of the options for fixing the Eye of Laplace.

If Klaus had known that Sylvia wouldn't come, he would have taken an aggressive approach, just like when he persuaded Jonathan and Justin.

"Well, it looks like I'm going to have to end this soon."

Klaus called the next applicant through the small mic on the table, this device was directly connected to the lobby.

Not long after, a woman in her mid-twenties entered the room. She had fair skin and amber eyes, her appearance was like a normal woman in general, wearing a black suit, short skirt, and high heels. The woman sat down after Klaus invited her.

"So, what's your name?" asked Klaus as he read her resume.

"My name is Sheila Valentine."

"What do you know about Mors Industries?"

She pursed her lips. "Uh, there's not much information I got about Mors Industries, but based on the information on the company website, Mors Industries is engaged in processing items from the dungeons. Like plants, drop items, and monster organs."

Klaus nodded a few times. When Klaus read the list of her work experience, his eyes narrowed, discovering an astonishing fact.

"Wait a minute, you've worked at Langley?"

"Yes," the woman replied steadily. "I worked as a data processor at the CIA."

Knowing that the woman had worked for the country's intelligence agency was enough to make Klaus both curious and surprised. Not to mention, based on the data he had, the woman called Sheila was an awakener although not certified. She had a talent called [Memory Absorption], allowing her to absorb the memories of others through skin contact

Sheila was relatively young and she had talents that were very suitable in her field, it raised questions to Klaus, why did the woman leave the CIA?

He became a bit excited.

"Judging from your resume, you're exactly what they need, why did you leave?"

"Internal issues related to the toxic work environment."

Klaus giggled. CIA was a prestigious organization and it took more than luck to get in, they had to prepare intelligence and mental strength. Resigning because of work environment issues, to him, it was ridiculous.

He placed the resume on the table, his hands clenched and gave the woman a sharp glare. Sheila didn't seem to flinch, most applicants would be nervous or trembling.

"You don't look sweaty or nervous. But never mind. I'll trust your reasoning. From tomorrow you will work as my secretary."

Sheila was surprised. "Uh, but I'm applying for an inventory or data management position, I don't have the experience to be a secretary."

"Then you should learn it. This is the offer I'm making. If you're not willing, please leave. I still have plenty of applicants waiting out there."

Klaus grinned, while Sheila frowned. He didn't know what she was hiding, but if she put her CIA work experience on her resume, Klaus suspected that it had to do with something embarrassing.

Sheila was forced to resign or resigned to take responsibility, that was he thought. 

After a few moments of silence, Sheila made up her mind. "Okay, I'm willing to work as a secretary," she replied in a weak tone.

Klaus smiled. "I'll call you soon."

After that, Sheila left the room.

Klaus put his hands to his head and raised his feet to the table. If he didn't get Sylvia, at least he got another asset that was no less valuable.

7