11: Still so many loose ends left untied- (+Poll)
445 6 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PoV: David.

I do not think I am ready just now to lay down with Ku, even if I'd desire it. I still have the worship mana well to build or fix; but first I need to find stone-

"How about first I just loan you some of the special stone you are seeking, to replace what was taken. I will want you to pay me back for it; though it can be in timely payments instead of all at once. A mutually beneficial deal. Deal?"

"... deal. I think."

"Good. Hold up your hand-"

I do, and she presses her hand to me too. I see a trade screen, with her briefly selecting some of her own materials for the trade. Instead of asking anything from me, part of her offer includes a contract, written in advance.

"So you already thought this far ahead-"

"Certainly, love. Enough to also cut off the flow of DP from you to Prader. Because you're worth it, my dear."

I find it thrilling, to be spoken of with such endearing words.

"I can think many more thoughts than that; and in point of fact, right now you cannot hear all I'm thinking about you too. But it's all real, because as I said a girl in my line of work does like to have a gentle hand too. Which is why I will train you to prevent your own thought leakage, so you don't betray these things ― the life I save might be my own, someday."

"... the contract?"

"You can read it if you want; in fact you should, since you probably wrote a few in your time. The terms are all equitable; they just boil down to nothing more than repayment, and my right to collect in case of your refusal or inability to repay. But first, go right ahead and accept it so you can fix your well. I know it's what you are wanting to do, anyway."

Five hundred tons of mana enhanced stone, at ninety nine point nine five percent purity, in one trade; but in exchange for a five percent one time interest fee, totalling five hundred twenty five tons due back, whenever I would have any opportunity arise ― at or above ninety nine point nine percent or better purity.

"Purity? Stone has a purity?"

"Yes. The 'mana purity' of the stone in this world is less than thirty percent at best; but I can teach you too a way to increase it. Anyway; you will have to increase it, if you don't want a lingering negative effect, when using it for constructing things."

"Oh. Well then, I think ... this is a good deal?"

"A mutually beneficial one, as I said. I had just this much in excess, which I am happy to share with someone I like; and you have the immediate need but can pay back the debt as you are able. So ... as long as we both are happy."

I accept the deal. Now also from it I see an icon in my status menu for contracts. The only thing in its screen is this one deal I just agreed to.

"Hey. Ku. Any other systems you can share like this?"

She smiled, so demurely. "Definitely. But let's leave that for later ... when we have time to relax and experience ... all of it-"


I find it odd, I cannot just 'dump' the total amount of stone required into this well construct and be done with it. No; instead I have to extract a small lump of stone, 'shape' it into an individual brick, then insert each brick into the well construct. Something like a loading screen with a progress bar in the middle is hovering over the uncompleted well form.

Not a bad user interface for a gamer but I think by how long this is going to take ― half an hour, or more ― I may as well endure the squatting position. Five minutes in, and it's hovering already at fourteen percent done. I will be so done with this, and glad to have the worship mana well working-

I'm starting to feel a little concern for Kika. Queen or not, she's maybe still feeling her way around her new existence in her new form. I do wonder what would happen if she comes into contact with some from her old tribe ― especially if she somehow got to find her sister Kari, or even if she could challenge that goblin king with her new strength.

"By the way," Ku inserts into my thoughtful quietude, "if that goblin king does evolve to something more ― call me right away and I am not kidding. I have had ... experience ... dealing with such a thing. Cannot say more-"

"Ah. Good to know; but ... even centuries from now? Even if we're no longer-"

"If it ever happens. I'm serious." Her absolute look in the face of this is certain, immovable.

I can only nod to this, knowing the serious tone left in the locked report files.

One thing is for certain, excluding thoughts of a goblin king but focusing on my goblin girl; Kika needed time and space alone ... or away from the site of the bad news, for a while. Time to hunt, to think, to clear her head. Well I would too, in some way, if I were to learn I had a deadly disease.

Hmm. Probably cannot or should not do those things with Ku Dara, either ― I see her looking disappointed somehow ― or else fear my infecting her too.

"Ku ... if you're here and would like some of that 'stimulating conversation' ... then, tell me more about some of the deity domains. Especially if ... there are any who are super restrictive to entry, but could be the most beneficial to me and my world. Something special for me to set my aim high. Or is there a master list of them all-"

She sat cross-legged near me on the ground, the beautiful wedding dress appearance morphing into a more casual blue jeans and tee shirt; and opened with, "I already have suggestions for you in this, but will leave it your choice. Of course, the most ancient and powerful of the domains are ― Creation, Destruction, Love, and Hate. But only the first two I mentioned are the most restrictive for their seeking members, for the obvious reasoning."

"... hmm, yeah I see."

I lapse into worker bee mode, more a stonemason for the moment than a deity; while I hear what Ku Dara tells of these domains.

Two bricks to go, and Ku Dara is also winding down; I understand all I need to know, for what she knows is fairly thorough.

"But David, do understand ― someone always knows more. For example, a main god exists who does have all domains, abilities, skills, and traits possible ― some of them conflicting ― but only he can properly use them at the right time. And if you believe it, some sect of deities in a Prophecy domain have stated, at some point in time a second one like the Head God would come along. At least this one would have the potential of selecting many of those same domains, not all of them, but be the closest existence to our main god. Just so you know ― I believe some of that sect might point to you, if they come to know you, as I think I am."

"What, now I have to worry about that, as well?"

"Yes."

"Ku-"

She could only remain here, smiling coyly and inviting of a gentle touch. In the end I can only ... hold off from grabbing her for some romance. I shake my head before continuing.

"... never mind. Because if I did start hearing about prophecies, I might be tempted to utter one such statement. Like ― 'the older deity with the red cloak shall perish on the field of battle against a younger warrior' ― or, something."

Suddenly, Ku looked shocked, worried. At my own concern, she replied with something of her own.

"David. My own father ― he wears a red cloak ... and also likes to challenge the younger deities; and he's not in the best of winning conditions, right now. B, be careful, what you say-"

Oh.

"Oh."

I see.

"Yeah. I see how that would be bad wording. Well I can hope it's all a washout, my jesting."

"But now since you said that with such a specific prophetic tone, those words are 'out there' in the cosmos of deities ... waiting to happen. David, really ... be careful what you say ... joking or not."

I worry; Ku wouldn't blame me, if-

"No. Because he's been cautioned; and if he does take on a challenger at this point, he's throwing caution to the wind. Well. Even if he has had a solid seventeen millennia of life ... not all of us deities will live forever."

"That's a downer-"

"... David, let it go. Besides, I think you'll live a nice long time, so it won't be a concern for many centuries."

I nod; and at last place the final brick ― et voila ... the well is 'building'. Just a mere four minutes on the counter until complete ... as if this more than half hour of working at it wasn't enough!

But at the same time placing the last brick, the same time I felt a subtle trickle of the worship mana being utilized in a constructive way, Ku just jerked at some other thing, something unsaid or unheard or unseen by me.

"Um sorry love ― duty calls ― I have to take care of something, around the cosmos. So many 'irons in the fire' as you Earth humans used to say. I'll be back at the earliest chance-"

"-w, wait-"

Her form already disappeared.

I hope, I hope I didn't scare her off with what I said, that ... 'prophecy' thing-


PoV: King Aaren.

*cough*

"Mmm .... I feel tired. Viki my First, sorry but I don't feel so well right now; can we continue our night activities tomorrow? Maybe then I-"

*urpf* BLEAH-

Suddenly, my earlier meal is being ejected from me; I don't like this feeling, not one bit. I can't stop it either ― what's worse, I was facing my primal queen at this moment, and she's already situated in the bed and wearing the barest minimum needed, just waiting on me.

At least she's keeping her cool, and calmly calling for the maid. Probably why I love her the most ― for her ability to keep calm. But ohhhhh I don't want her to be sick from this too-

In mere seconds I see the maid slither in, her lamia tail practically silent across the stone tiled outer floor ― and there she halts, taking in my embarrassing condition with mouth agape. Then, she turns and races out of the room, flipping her whole mass over the steps and down past two flights of stairs at once ― the only maid so able to get from here to there so fast without using teleportation. I've seen her do it before ― just landing neatly with her coiled tail to compress as she dropped and slow her descent with no critical impact to the first floor. Strict calls of "wake the doctor" and "right f***ing now dammit" and "because he's sick" resound from deeper down in the palace.

Ooh boy-

I really don't want my family, or staff, or the citizens either, to worry over my health so much. It's nothing, I should assure them; I'll be fine in a day or two ― just gotta stop this feverish feeling.

Or hey ... maybe a little diversion with her would still be okay? I'm fine with that, if Viki is-

"Father, what-"

Anyah is at the open door, and she sees, and ... is breaking out into tears. Somehow, she's the most emotional child I could ever have when it comes to her worrying about me. *cough* Such a Daddy's Little Girl. As if a little fever could bring me down *cough,cough*.

But this is getting worse ― I feel myself slump to the side, and now I'm fading, as my girl's form is running in-

The last words I'm hearing are Anyah's prayerful calls to the new god David.

... yeah, maybe he can help-


PoV: Emperor Benjie Peen, of the Brazen Empire.

*cough* "More ... more tabakkoly leaves ... more-" *cough*

I am reclining, to be at ease; although the pain is growing more severe now. Suddenly this ceiling looks so dirty ― honestly, did nobody ever look up?

"... sire-"

"MORE!" *cough*

More this, more that, only thing I want less of is pain and distraction. And coughing.

"Sire, that was all we had."

"... very well. I can stand this illness not a moment more. *cough* In order to *cough-cough* see to the order of the empire *cough-cough-cough* ... please have my son take over-"

"... which one, sire."

"The eldest! Idiot-"

And Prager better not go ballistic, or cause a commotion.

"As you wish."

The attendant nodded to the side, and a less aged servant departed to pass on this message.

"Are, are all my five hundred wives and two thousand children going to be ... *cough* ... will- *cough* will they live."

"... I am not certain. Sire."

He is not telling me something.

"What is it-"

"... promise you won't be mad, if I give a report-"

I can only nod, while readying for what feels like the next coughing fit about to happen.

"Then sire. I am sorry to report, half of your wives have either died or are mortally sick or fare in the grip of this ― disease. About forty of them decided to self sequester or depart to an isolated area ... as a general precaution. The rest ... believe they cannot or will not get sick."

-I bet Bekha is the ringleader on the last part-

"M, my children-"

"Less fatalities, but the fevers are starting, even now."

"... Rica?"

"The first fatality. She did pass while calling out for you; but by then it was too late. Sorry to report, this disease may be passed by touch maybe? Or maybe body fluids, too. All who held her body or have admitted to personal contact with her are also ... have caught it."

... my eldest daughter, Rica ― a quarter century old, already ― how we loved to hold and kiss and touch each other-

How I did hope to bring her in as my newest wife, and forever silence her claims of her other lover being better. What was he, trying to assassinate me, by making me sick? HA! My Brazen Empire will outlast this ill wind!

At a commotion, the messenger returned inward, a pale face bearing also strange news.

"Sire. Your four eldest sons are ... revolting against each other."

What?

"What!"

This cannot last. My strength of life is waning, I know it ― but yet here my sons would want to split this empire four ways? How would that do this world, with me as its only leader, any good?

I can only sigh.

Well ... it has been a good life. Not great; but more than ordinary. So sad, this world has no afterlife attached; though that bitch Gabi did say something about setting something up if she just had more DP. I'd love to have some oversight and maybe influence into what happens next.

I had, at the peak ― which was just earlier this week ― a grand total of five hundred eleven wives (seven confirmed as 'Empress' to co-rule at my side, each with parts of my territories). All of them had to be 'pure human'; not any of those damned beastkin running around. On top of this, I'd had my women bear a massive total of children ― two thousand, nine hundred ninety three ― about a third of them male, and in line for inheriting parts of this empire. Even now, my balls are still tired, maybe drained too-

Well no; not so many would inherit, as I'd planned some challenges to hold the 'unworthy' degenerates from my progeny in check. I only truly planned for a good dozen to 'win' any prize; so ... that meant eliminating so many of my own lineage for the sake of establishing order, in this godless land-

-unlike the world of my previous life, where I'd been a once obese bastard child, and one with a temper too. Hmm. Those things really do come back to bite a guy in the ass. Huh. But as for a goddess ― well she's a better whore than a leader, any day; always lifting her skirt as an easy lay, to be the only 'nonhuman' I would lay with. Wonder if she had a child from our mating yet. Haven't seen her in a few months ... or is she still pregnant or something; never can tell with a so called deity-

*cough*

-but I do want her to bear my progeny. Goddess or not, deity or not ― every hole in this world is a goal for me. A target.

I return to stare upward at the ceiling, to the stains ― aah yes; that one time, I did shoot it up that high. He, he. Memories. But not becoming of this aging and sickly emperor.

In short ... I think ... I am dying. Because I can't get it up that high any more dammit!

Yeah, happens to everyone in this world. I'm just ... maybe the next in this imperial household?

I have at least the four nearest kingdoms I've conquered, through badgering and leading this former mercantile city-state cum nation into taking this form, and leading it myself. Had to kill off some ugly dogs in power first.

Old memories ― something from ... Earth? Doesn't sound like the proper name of a world now does it. But I'd done it, I'd built this empire with my own blood and sweat and tears and cum-

Also made a lot of enemies ― some I'd conquered to force them into being allies ― what's the word again, 'frenemies' ... ? Aah this hurts, my heart is pounding so hard-

-gasp-

The door opens, even as my heart is pounding; my second eldest son is storming in, his weapon in hand, dripping red. Ooh the hatred.

I sense he doesn't want to just let me die ... he wants to be the one to end me. Ha. Well at least if he does, that's a strong point in his ability to lead, more than my eldest.

*cough*

"P, Prager. Come c, close. My time is about up-"

"I know it is, old bastard."

*cough* "Aha, even like this, you stab at me with words. Well ... you might be able to bring an empire back together."

"Shut it. You can't say anything to please me ― not since you had my mother- your first, executed that night."

"... I suppose so, you little lecher."

"What I do with my personal life is none of your concern! At least I keep myself to less than three persons!"

"... you were supposed to wait, to marry one of King Aaren's girls, though. Still might, if you straighten up-"

With a flick of a wrist, my deviant son's arm held the blade edge mere centimeters from my throat. I dare not move far, lest that cut me.

"Got any last words, you filthy piece of shitty garbage pale excuse for a cum drained father?"

"Just one ― vindictus."

On this keyword, I immediately teleport; the sword cannot touch me now. Only problem is-

-I am a mile up in the sky, and ... falling free.

Sing it with me. Free falling-

That random transport location, it kills you every time.


Still falling here-

It's a desert below, of all places in this hellhole of a world. Hmm. Getting closer, I see the waves of sand, like waves of an ocean I've not yet seen. A skeleton-

Well if the fall don't kill me, the skeleton is likely to finish me off.

*oof*

That, that skeleton? cast a magic net to slow me down? Aah well then I still die maybe.

Finally settled on the loose sands, rolled face upward, I see the skeleton form standing over me. If it had eyes, they would be blinking, I bet.

"What is this place-"

"Nameless desert," came a slow reply. "On task for Master Yehudit. Looking for Gabi. Where?"

I chuckle. No, I laugh ― deep belly laugh ― at the irony of all this.

Because that's another proof Gabi wasn't enough of a deity to rule ... she promised me herself, she'd work at ending the necromancy ... but maybe she just didn't have the balls for it.

The laugh sputters out to another coughing fit, as I avert my gaze from this foul fiend.

The skeleton dares to repeat the request. Still funny; but at least now I know, what's going on in its ... mind. I only have one retort, as a final parting word.

"The stupid bitch pretending to be a goddess is somewhere you'll never go, you degenerate bony piece of crap."

I'll die for this, though ― and in one swift (hopefully painless) motion; but at least ... what a way to go, demeaning a powerless goddess-


PoV: Gabi.

I am all alone. Powerless. Worthless.

Even Dhareff had left me here, last time, still hanging on the edge of the jumping cliffs. Because at long last, after kicking me around so long, he decided he'd rather I just ... end myself, with no blood on his hands.

But even now, I am so beyond weak, and that's not the wors-

*cough*

-ahem. Not the worst of it. Mistress Carine was not joking, when she told me of the finality. And also, not joking when she chided me for leaving without trying the cure-

-what, I was supposed to take a cure that could ― with eighty nine point seven percent accuracy ― strip me of my powers? What then, me a goddess but not, ruling my world but not being able to fix the rest of it as I would then be 'mortal'? And then die before I could figure it out?

I should have never sold off that worship mana well, or the larger library room, just to pay off debts.

At least, now, there's a guy there, to hopefully ... rebuild it-

*cough*

Again. A silent step behind me. He ... he returned?

"Aah rats. Bitch I thought you would have pulled yourself over the side by now. Hmm. Guess I'll have to reevaluate you- No. Nope, don't need to. Well it's time to give you one last mercy, I promise I will end you this time, be sure of that-"

BAM!

Knocked once more to roll again, even closer to the edge. My eyes are actually level with the stony edge of this mountain cliff; I can now see straight downward with sickening reality behind it.

"-or you could just take back that ... one ... thing ... you said, that one day."

Never!

Ooh I feel so feverish. This is the worst of it, I think ― feverish, to the degree I can't even think so well. Tiredness too, cannot even take care of ― well I messed myself, I'm so weak, and he knows it.

BAM!

That hurt ... not like I wasn't already, but in the shoulder- Ow, my whole arm is ... could it be, broke? It will be, if he did that again.

"Not gonna say it? Not even gonna beg, for the last chance?"

Not even waiting for reply, he did it again.

KICK! *pop*

"Ow, ow..." This has me crying. He kicked me on the right hip socket! I felt something snap! My hip, or my upper leg, it's broken-

"HA! Made you hurt-"

Even if I've cried enough, these last few days ― these tears are real. But I want them to be the last ones; so maybe if I just ... inch along-

"Stop!" called out a new voice, an effeminate voice. So smooth but firm.

"Bwa-"

BAM-

But this time, the effect was not upon me; I am not moved at all from where I was since the last kick. Someone hit him?

"... guh ― damn you, you'll pay for that, Ku-"

'... Ku ... Ku Dara? The goddess I admire from afar? Why would she ... come here-'

"It's over, Dhareff Dhaghur. Your days of tormenting your fellow deities and mortals alike are at the end. Stand down and be prepared for censure."

"You and whose army!?!?"

I can only close my eyes at his roar. Whatever those two are doing, fighting ― I know Dhareff is outclassed by her. But, why? Why would she even be here?

And then, a playful laugh; she's proving her better combat prowess. Too bad I can't see this confrontation.

"... not even close, you flea bitten dog-"

Of course he's gonna growl at that! Ku don't .. don't make him mad, he'll take it out on me-

"I'm smarter than you, you dumb bitch-"

Dhareff growled, and leapt with his claws and fangs at the ready; but if he ever got a chance, I don't know ― what I hear is something else.

ZZZZZAAAAAAP-

"-aah!"

-zzzzzzzzzzzzt.

Following this, I only hear something click, latching on something, then ... silence. Dhareff got detained? One final tear drips from my eye, and I see it lazily drip down, down, away from here. Oh, so she's done then, and she'll leave me here, too-


Finally, after a few footsteps, I feel a kind touch, so much compassion and healing in even just this little-

"Dearest friend Gabi, you are safe, for now. Let me help you."

-and now ... a different kind of tears can flow. I feel too, a healing orb pressed in at my side, near the hip but not right on it. Still, it's less painful somehow.

S, s, someone cares? I, I, I'm not worthy! I'm ... I'm trash! Dhareff just said so!

More footsteps from behind, but I can't see, the direction I'm facing.

"Mistress Ku," one gentleman's voice calls out. "We can take that one there, if you want to stay with this one."

"That will be fine, Marlow. And we can link Prader's actions on him as well. Prader just did it again, in her former domain. I got a statement from the man ― a new one by the name of David ― as evidence."

"As good as done, Mistress."

Untold numbers of feet trod to the side, dragging the groggy wolfish form out of here.

"M, m, my balls-"

Gabi hoped this would be the last she would ever hear from Dhareff.

"... and rig a stretcher for immediate transport of her to Carine's. No, the private residence, this time. Using the utmost care, as well."

*sigh*

What the hell ... I can be mortal, for a while ... again-

Not like I can object, anymore.

But Ku leaned in, and gently whispered one thing. "Give thanks to your former world's new proxy deity for this rescue; he's the one who lit a proverbial fire under us, and got me to go looking for you."

... r, really? H, he did? He ... cares?

*sniff*

-waaaah-


PoV: David.

Now ... where was I ... before this intrusion-

Aah. Well let's see. I was eating a salad ... and then ― the intrusion, obviously ― and before that, I was starting to wonder about how certain people were doing-

Oh. Yeah. I had started to travel into more villages and such, to meet with more people. Can I ― should I still keep at it?

Eh. I think, I've got at least one more in me, before I have done enough for the day. My power and strength is not infinite; I'm not a 'super man' at all. More like, passing as an 'average to well man'.

"Luria, let's try one more village?"

"... selecting ... found. Village name is Laverock; residents number three hundred eighty one. Three hundred eighty two. Ratio of one point three one males to each female. Race profile, three hundred seventy lizardkin, fifteen rabbitkin, seven dogkin. By age category, seventeen percent advanced aged, twenty two percent adult to middle aged, twenty four percent common adult, twenty nine percent from puberty to young adult, the remainder are infants and children. Warning, severe sequestration for this community in force. Selecting alternate nearby transport location ... executing-"

When I reappear, I find I'm now on what would be open grassland ... if the ground would not be so rocky. Yes, there's soil here, and random weeds and scrub brush ― but a farmer would not be able to grow much in this ... unless he had no more choice.

It's almost to night, in this part of the world ― with the sun just now dipping off the horizon ― and I do see two moons up above. Last time I saw them-

"D, David!"

I turned around.

"... oh hey, Elison-"

"What brings you back to this area?"

I'm surprised; he seems actually surprised, and interested in seeing me now.

Which reminds me. I wave a hand gently to the near village before the both of us. I've appeared on a 'road' or barely cleared path into a village, a good hundred meters over from here; and somehow Elison is also on the same road.

"I'm traveling ... to there. I've made it a personal mission to break out of my shell, as much as possible ― and if I'm to do anything about this disease going around, I'm going to need people to be ... expressing their worship."

This is really as close to what he first accused me of doing ... trying to subvert Gabi's right to govern the world ... but he indicates no malice now. "That's fine, but this village is ... what's the word ... quarantined. It has the sickness, and so they would not even let me inside, so they won't let you either, deity or not. I can't get any food-"

"They wouldn't bring food to you at the border, in exchange for a fair amount of coin?"

"No. It's alright, I'll just ... starve for a while. Not like I had much coin for trade anyway."

As if by his words, a subtle growl from his abdomen could be heard.

"... come on, let's go."

I touch his shoulder, and return to my Approach room.

"Wh, what is this-"

"The entry to Gabi's former ― now my ― realm."

Elison could only stare. At the soft grass underfoot, at the built worship mana well slowly filling with traces of said fluid, at the ... decorative shrubs in each corner? When did that happen?

I'm glad he enjoys what it is, so far; because I think I should tell him now of how far I have yet to go.

I peer in, down into the well; it's got a few sparse puddles, each barely three centimeters in diameter. Small half dollar sized drips of fluid, with surface tension causing them to bubble upward before ― ah there one point just leaked outward, deflating this arched bubble and merging with a nearby one. Still. Not much, right now; but in a few hours ... maybe?

He's here beside me, looking as well ... at the well. Well?

"What, what is this, this well."

"Aah well let me explain. But would you like to come in and have something to eat? My treat."

I wink, as if I would be 'paying the bill'.

Yeah in a way ... I am. Paying for it.


PoV: Elison.

I'm. I'm ... what. Stunned.

Never before have I been here. Never has Gabi allowed me or Oik up here; or we'd be bragging about it to each other.

In a daze, I can only follow him ... inside. Inside where? Well I think we went inside a door; not sure. But I'm following anyway, into a place that looks like a kitchen. Hmm. Yeah a kitchen, and much better looking than my own cottage.

"Vegetables okay? They're all locally grown, and free of the disease."

"... yeah."

Slowly, while this man David is preparing a meal for me, I'm noticing more details. Towards the other corners I see ... a bed space, a bathing area and washroom, and ... a blank darkness. Something secret in that area? Or is it something he does not know either, something left behind by Gabi?

... well if it's left by Gabi ... probably David would not want it. I could see how David might be disgusted by things of Gabi. Perhaps he even wanted no mention of Gabi at all, except in saying "that's how it was, back in the day before me" sort of way.

And then, David is turning back here, with two plates of-

'-oh, heavenly food!'

He slows. "Oh surely it's not that bad, is it?"

I shake my head. "Nononono! It looks amazing."

And it truly is. Even the plates are something I'd not seen before. Heavy. Like pottery, but ... colored by dyes and a pattern.

He set one plate down for me, and one for him.

"I'm not liking to eat alone, so I thought maybe you wouldn't want to, either. Well then, we can share a meal, if you would like, Elison."

"Yes. Please. Um ... am I to ... pray somehow, or give thanks?"

David considered this. "Well ... I have not thought this through, just yet. I suppose I should have a 'recommended prayer of thanks' or something; but for now ― do as you will. Anyway. Eat, while I tell you more of what I'm facing here."

And then ... he began telling more than what he'd said from before.


PoV: David.

I'd spoken for maybe ten minutes, just getting to the serious part ― when Elison held up a hand. He'd finished his meal in record time, earnestly eating it all.

I think this last part, he won't like hearing-

"Wait what? You mean ... Gabi is ... or was ... oh no-"

"Yes. This, most of all. I think, very few people in this world these days truly gave her their worship; and for it, she had less DP to spend against her other expenses, and was not able to keep things going any more. Now if you remember what the mana well's collected worship mana was like, that's scraping the bottom of the barrel, so to speak. But Gabi did not even have that, for so long; because to pay for other expenses, she started selling off her realm's assets. From what I saw in the records ... the worship mana well, a grand library, a personal manor, and-"

Elison dropped a fork, suddenly. It clattered on the plate, and even from the impact went straight off the table and down to the floor.

"Oh. I am so, so, sorry. David. I never knew any of that, none of us did. We only ... played with her when she came-"

"That's enough. I don't want you to be weighed down with guilt; that's not why I'd said this. But I can only move forward from now on. Come with me, let me show you more of this space, maybe you can see what I have more in the way of needs to 'fix' this place, and maybe do something about everyone getting sick."

I led him first to the west, to the Garden. He stared in awe at the fountain, at the miniature model of the former goddess; his face reddened with maybe intimate thoughts. Instead of pondering what he might have of thoughts, I and the pixie pointed out features of this area, and the extents to which this area could grow. I made sure to note, the food he just ate has come from this space.

Not to be outdone, I led him eastward, to the Workshop. Also pointed out here some of the various features and properties of the place.

"And ... one of the things I made, is ... this."

He held out a simple thing, a token, something a person often sees people attach over their clothing.

"W, w, what is it."

"It's called a Deity's Champion Token; a symbol, for which the one bearing this emblem is allowed to come and go from this realm ― at least as far as the room we first arrived in. The 'Approach to the Deity' room. Fitting name, right?"

I hold it out to Elison. Perhaps he doesn't get it, I am offering this to him.

"... but ... what?"

"Take it. I am giving this to you."

"... I ... huh?"

I grimace. He's not stupid; but perhaps I overestimated his ability to comprehend in the face of the immense way I led him along.

"Sorry, if this is confusing. I do want to have a number of mortals ... such as yourself ... to be able to come and go from at least this much, so I and you and them can get along. It will help, in being able to coordinate things around the world. In this immediate time of crisis, I do want people who can keep calm and be able to carry on what work is necessary. Now, whatever thing you did which your people do not like you any more ... I am thinking this does not mean you cannot help in this, to find a purpose to help others. At least, I am hoping you are capable."

"I ... I am honored. David."

His hand clenches on top of mine, and he's grinning. I'll give him this, as more than a 'token' of gratitude, if he will help in the greater things to come. No joke there.

"Now, I have to take you back to the road ... or do you wish me to take you to your cottage directly?"

"Cottage!"


Five minutes later, after waving off more adoration from him, I returned directly to the Approach room.

*sigh*

All this effort, and still less than five millimeters, all the way across-

Shouldn't it be more? by this point in time? how much have I-

It's never enough, is it.

This. Feeling. Despair-

Sinking-

Like the one page of Gabi's diary I randomly flipped to. A page that described her watching her boyfriend Dhareff at work. He ... he caused this feeling of ― despair.

Was Dhareff ever here, visiting Gabi's mortal world, or was he here in Gabi's domain?

"Master. I sense a sudden spike in not worship but pleading, especially in the kingdom you came from. If the pleading goes unanswered, then this will cause even further negative effects to the world itself, not just in this domain. It is coming from King Aaren's household, particularly."

I nod, then send myself there, to the castle where I last had Anyah on my arm-

-but what I see, brings me too to tears.


"Anyah," I call out, to the young kit sitting beside her father, and she turns to me ― bearing the marks of having cried herself out, just now.

He must be fairly burning up; he's asleep but perspiring, and restless in his bed. Comatose? No; but still, Anyah is here, wringing a washcloth and dabbing at her father's crownless head and face and body.

Such dedication. Such loyalty. Is nobody else going to do this for the man, or did she drive everyone else out?

"My lord, no, my god David. Can you do anything-"

"... I ... don't know. I will try. I will check his status, first. Maybe I can find a hint of something-"

I'm stalling with words and I know it. Damn. I hate feeling inadequate to a situation; but I don't know anything better for the moment.

Calling up the status screen on the man before me, I scan through line after line-

Anyah has left the basin of water and cloth, and is now at my side. From her almost silent gasp, I know she can see these things too.

I'm not liking what I'm seeing; and neither is she. But the truth of a status screen ... cannot be denied. Words like, 'terminal', 'final stage', and 'dehydration'. And, 'incurable'. These, these things, they say it all.

I can only look back to Anyah ― but she knows. I do not have to speak these words. New tears fill her eyes, and mine; she falls into my open arms and weeps more.


Daaaaaammiiitt.

I should do something. Anything. More than just holding this trembling girl tight.

Even if the screen says, Aaren has maybe a half a day here; that's still some time to try to just- LIKE HELL IT IS-

This is why. Despair. Gabi must have known it well.

I ... cannot do a thing right, here. And she knows it too ― her tiny fists are beating my chest, even as she sobs. I will let her; her pleas for my help ... have abated. Maybe seeing the truth of the situation has now just let her do the only thing left to do ― cry.

"An, just give up, he's as good as dea-"

"Shut up Erissa!" Anyah shrieks suddenly.

I turn.

A girl, one of the king's other daughters ― I think I saw her before ― an elf girl, with a flat face now.

I don't think this 'Erissa' is trying to be mean but maybe she is; her face is just ... blank. No tears, no worry, no concern for Anyah either.

"Nothing you can do-"

Anyah pulls ― tears herself ― away from my grasp, and lunges toward Erissa. But, maybe forgetting this is not the main floor, she overshoots as the other girl steps back, and-

-I see it. Her forward momentum is too much. A more skilled being might be able to use this momentum more adeptly; but Anyah is not so experienced. Her upper legs and waist hit at the balcony railing, but the upper half topples over-

I see it. In my head even, I'm screaming STOP! but cannot stop it. Even in the split second, maybe dozens of other faces just outside are also seeing this chaotic moment, from the other side.

What can I do, right now.

Aha. Here's something? A command, a special ability.

-accelerate.

Time. Time itself, is slowing down, somehow. I also launch myself forward. But not to go the same way down; I turn instead, and accelerate through the mass of people, swerving with an unknown accuracy in this moment to guide me through the throngs of people. Across this balcony, to the stairs and through a line of people standing on the stairs, and-

-there. I can time it so, just so-

Last second save?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
7