12: Last second save; meet Gabi; healing.
408 13 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

PoV: David.

-just so.

It is a save! Anyah is in my arms!

The slow-motion ability fades off, bringing me and her into the same instant. The fear in her eyes fades as she realizes, she isn't going to die ― and ... I am the one who saved her.

She's crying, anyway. I let her; it may do her more good than going back up the stairs to face Erissa.

I look up ― yes, Erissa is still there at the balcony, a look between shock and embarrassment for her part of it. Her eyes meet mine, then contort in a sudden flare of anger. Then, she turns and strides off.

"It's okay, Anyah; we still have time ― I will do as I can-"

"Milord!" a soft call from above can be heard, offset from where Anyah fell.

At a second glance above ― the weakened king is standing there, looking down on this spectacle of me holding his daughter.

He cannot stand straight in his feverish status; he's gripping the rail tight, I can see this too. But ― along with his wives and children and servants ― all can see he still very much has a desire to remain in command, in charge while he has his mental faculties and what strength he can use.

I keep hold of Anyah, weeping but also seeing her father do this much, but I'm also walking, carrying her with me as I ascend the stairs, and meet the king face to face.

"Aaren. I understand you are not feeling so good."

He laughed. "Yeah but, you think a little thing like this will keep me down for long?"

We both smile, in lieu of talking of more serious matters.

"Father, you should be laying-"

"... Anyah." To me, he smiles, despite holding back a cough ― knowing maybe I should have the decency to say why I'm holding his daughter. "What's this about?"

"I found Anyah kneeling at your bedside; Erissa came by to taunt her, then she stepped aside as Anyah ran at her. One thing led to another; and-" I turned to face the railing, and down toward the bottom floor. "Well, it is just as good I had been here, it's a learning experience for me too."

"... that ... Erissa-" Aaren says.

"Milord, I will whip my daughter for this," says one elf woman.

"Do not hate her, my dear people. Do not hold onto anger; because I think this will hasten the effects of this."

"How does this happen ― thoughts or feelings affect a person's health? My god David-"

"It's certainly in part affected by how the person thinks or feels. And besides, even being sick I have seen and heard many ways which simple diseases and ailments can be defeated. Sunlight is said to kill a virus ― in my former world of life at the least ― and I will believe here too; since you were born and live here, the sun of this world is what is needed for you. Not that you should need to go naked in a desert, but-"

Serious titters of laughter come from this. Honestly it's one of the ways I deal with the fear of ... crowds, being in with people.

"-but Aaren, let's go into your room; it may do us better to have less of a crowd for now."

The king ambles back into his room, followed by me, still carrying Anyah, and one lamia servant. She slithered immediately to the task of easing her king into bed, and wiping his brow with a cloth, then exits.

I have so far seen Aaren cough, what ― seven times in one minute. That's not a good ratio to overall time ... not as if I know better.

I set Anyah down; she may pout, for wanting more cuddle time with me ― oh what have I unleashed, to be holding her already so long ― but I have a thing I want to do.

"Pardon me for a moment, Aaren ― I have another friend who knows more about health matters, I wish to consult." At his nod, I turn aside, to a blank area on the wall, and then 'call' Carine the Goddess of Health. I am hoping to find some answer to this ― and not to forget, she did ask me to call on her anyway, before things got so serious.

The woman answered immediately. "Aah David. I had been expecting a call from you."

At slight gasps from behind me, I knew Aaren and Anyah could see this. But I can only go on. "Carine. How goes the health practice?"

"Always something new coming up; but hey, good news if you want to hear it ― Gabianna has been found, and rescued before a fatal end."

"... oh? I did wonder if she could have been found. Anyway. Matters are getting more serious on my world, and I wondered ... since you did ask me to call you too ... if a visit with you would be in order."

"Yes. Right away, if you can. While I still have empty beds here. Let's see ... you, and those two ... seven points for the transport fee ― five points for you, and one point each for them ― and ten points each for the inspection once here. Just to be fair and honest."

"Any cost is acceptable. Uh ... Aaren and Anyah ― do you feel like going with me, for a short excursion? If anything can be done, this woman would know it."

"Yes, my god David, yes!"

"Yes I would like to go, too, David," called a more subdued king. "If you see us worthy-"

"Always." I sigh, then face Carine again. "Alright. Three to beam up-"

"... what's a 'beam up', David?"

"... n, never mind, Carine. But ... we're ready to go."

"-ah. Okay. This might pinch."


Pinch?

Pinch?

For a whole second, I felt as if I were turned inside out. Dammit-

Definitely, not a pinch.

"That was definitely not a pinch!" I yelped, before either Aaren or his girl could say anything too.

But the caring Carine ambled forward and ran her left hand up and down my body first; nodded and then went onto the king; and finally went to Anyah. If she has a superlative analysis screen, I do not need to say any words; she will know already.

"This is a fair cross section of the mortals on your world, David?"

"Yes, I assume so. From what I have seen, the epidemic is hitting some places harder than others. I was only recently notified of an increase in pleading in my world which, if it exceeded the prayer threshold, would bring about worse consequences. That notice led me to these two ― Anyah here being one of my faithful ones."

The dear girl, she cried again ― does she, maybe, cry for any reason? So, some beings are more emotional than others, I would guess.

Carine could only take in this bit, and nod. "On to diagnosis. King Aaren is quite ill. I see how from your perspective, David, it would show you his time left is short ― but this is because you are new at this world or at this work, and do not yet have the experience I do. What you see of the possible outcome is limited. But here, all three of you are already subtly receiving health assistance, from my own realm. Aaren will recover, and Anyah too; but-"

"-I am sick?" Anyah asked incredulously.

"-yes, young girl. I see you have been his attendant while he was sick. This is to be commended, but being an attendant does not grant you immunity. However now, you will have a slightly better resistance for the next half year, your world's time."

"Oh thank you!"

"And now, you ... David. Hmm, maybe we should take this to my office. Aaren and Anyah, you may go in through that door and rest inside the guest lounge; we will be with you in a moment."

Anyah looked like she wanted to follow David even into the depths of a very dark place; but the king dragged her away, into the indicated room.


Once settled in Carine's office, with her studiously shuffling some objects off her desk, I waited for her words.

'I think, maybe it is also like Ku Dara told me ... my thoughts leak. Well then, I do know I have a lot to learn, and I am willing-'

"Yes, a lot to learn, David ― oh I sense you don't like this; so for now we can speak instead of me 'reading' you."

I sigh. "So it's like this-"

Same as with being in the lounge space, same as with talking to Ku, I unload. Seems all along I just want to talk, to someone who understands. The gist is, I know I'm not a 'full deity' on this world yet, I know Gabi had problems I am just now trying to work to change, I know too how hard it is to try alone-

"David ― did you not consider to involve mortals more, to help you? In a monotheistic world such as yours is, no one deity can handle a whole world alone ― unless he, she, or it is truly omnipotent. But you ― having been handed the world by my other patient ― you will be needing helpers. Yes, Anyah may be one such helper; but I do advise caution. For her and others of the same emotional state, you must either commit all the way or remain distant; do not lead her along halfway."

"Of course I have this thought! Okay so ... for what Ku Dara was saying to me. It seems my perspective in things affects how I am able to do things. I had not considered more than a three dimensional aspect to what I have done the past few days ― my romance with other beings are stuck on me? Ku could be my mate too ― as well as teach me some of the necessary things; but in the meantime I've been led along by the flow of events. For some reason I do not know, this Luria system has judged me capable of fixing the mess, or not letting it slide back to what it was before. I find it hard to trust- No. First, am I sick or not."

"... a short answer: no. The longer answer: maybe. As you did note in what Ku Dara said, a deity's essence is carried through more than one dimension or plane, often aligned to their prime domain, which you do not have. Yes there is a 'master list' but you do not have the right to see it ... yet. Of this list I can tell you, three key domains would be best for you right now; but seven possibles for all time after this. Nobody will press you to choose one now, unless they are working against you and trying to limit your reasons and abilities. So, leave the domain thought for later, when you are settled and 'know yourself'."

"How that affects my health-"

"Because certain domains influence to a vast degree a deity's capabilities and capacities to affect or influence what will occur ― to them, the world, or the peoples. In short ― the mortal part of you, the parts of your pasts you may hold onto ― those parts are sick, and can and will die. Even as much as Gabianna Rainforest has done for you, you are less susceptible but not immune. This deity part given from her, not fully merged into you either, could defeat a certain portion of disease and damage upon your body ― which I note you experienced, when a goblin creature did stab you in the back. Also if the one goblin girl who you sexed already has indeed evolved, an evolution maybe also deflects a large part of disease as well, to ensure the lifeform will live. Note ― you are a carrier of a disease from what you have done. And with enough 'screwing around' ... your deity potential too will get sick ... like had happened for ... her."

With a minor flick of a wrist, the side wall for the office goes transparent; and I see with sudden clarity ― Gabi laying in a hospital type bed, looking drained. On the plus side, Ku Dara is here too, talking to her; but I get the sense neither of them know I have seen them together. Then the view goes dark, returning to a wall.

"Carine ... you're saying in almost no uncertain terms ― I should hold off on procreation and copulation until this thing is settled; and even then, only with who I see as a mate. Well ... that's what I did already decide for myself. But that's what I am trying to do, in accepting Ku Dara into my life: learn the balance she is willing to teach-"

"-but I will so much as say, do not dare take Ku for granted, either. Every deity can and does have the right to decide whether they will use caution or throw reason to the wind. A mother such as myself should know her daughter is being respected in whatever relationship she agrees to be part of. You as an up and coming deity would ― when you do such things ― be merging and mingling your own energies with theirs. So this is all I will say, for who you choose to ... mingle with yourself ― the choice should be made with certainty, no doubt."

I can do nothing more than nod at this. I'd had the thought already, Ku Dara ― having a 'father' ― would also have a 'mother', if deities are anything like what I suspect.

"And ... Gabi? If you are allowed to tell."

"It's not normally the case to divulge privileged information, in this realm. However, her and your conditions are ... unique yet linked. I had informed her you would be checked as well; so she agreed I could say what I need to say in her behalf. Skipping a technical aspect ― I diagnose her as being 'patient zero' in connection to her world but is not this in connection to all deities ― one of her first mates infected her first. Because her symptoms went on long enough untreated, the condition was nearly fatal ― but not completely so. Gabianna Rainforest is now treated and in the recovery room, but in essence ... has lost over ninety six percent of her goddess power. It may return in due time, in an estimated two centuries if at all, and if she lives so long; or maybe even never. Until then, she has no world and no home. Further, she has expressed a hope ... for you to talk to her. Like you, she cannot yet filter her thoughts, so I do know she is afraid you hate her, or that her former world's residents hate her. She is so far beyond sorry for ... all of it."

Stunned silence. Mine.

"I don't hate her; I can't hate her. Partly because the realm system guide has helped me to recognize just how easy it would be for me to fall into the same trap ― as I said a while ago ― part of my past is flawed; but I do recognize when I need help. If ― no, when Gabi is well enough to travel, would you ... could you ... recommend her to return to the world? I will not turn her away. But then, I also have a curious fascination for wanting to know more. How she was found, her mental condition and capability, and so on."

"Ku is the one who found her, based on a tip from someone who wishes to remain anonymous. Her mental state is one of shock, relief, and terror. Also, feeling awe at Ku Dara being here; but fearing she will infect her somehow. No, Ku is clean and has already been given partial immunity ― from either her work or a personal care, I do see she is treated on a regular basis. You too do not need hold back from consummating a relationship if Ku also agrees to the contact; only with the patient it is not recommended, or her treatments fail."

'Ha ... that is like saying, "Please have sex with my daughter, but not Gabi". Is it really so straight as this?'

I smile with the whimsical thought.

"Say ... since I am new to these things. What is the practice for considering each other 'extended family', when deities ... get together?"

"Pretty much the same as for mortals from Earth, David. Or, your query is such a nonissue in light of other things, much bigger things, than this. Now. David. The final issue ― treatment of your world."

This is going to hurt, isn't it.

"No, it won't be costly, except for time and effort ― of which your world may have such short time and less effort. No I didn't 'read' that in you, I've just seen enough patients to know that look on your face."

"... well then ... what do I do. The systems and skills and abilities which Gabi gave to me, on the time of her leaving-"

"It should be you doing this, to establish your divinity; but in point of fact, you yet do not have the power or understanding to follow through. In cases like this though, a deity like you are or will become is guided to senior deities such as me, who have taken an oath to never turn away someone in need. In short, I have a cadre of young disciples needing a thing to do; your world can be their training ground. However. We are not willing to come and fix things, and then leave so you and the people will get back to doing the same thing. Part of this must include some of your world's mortals to work alongside of our work, so this teaches your people too. Now as for you, for some time ― in part you will be monitored from afar, but less so while Ku is with you because she will already be guiding you to be what you should be. Not forcing you, but guiding you. Any watcher also has respect for Ku and so will not intervene, because Ku herself has made a name in some context you do not know about."

"Yeah I ... assumed as much. For one part, I have this minor worry, about a goblin king, maybe evolving-"

"Call me immediately, if this ever happens!"

W, w, what.

"W, what's the big deal?"

"... David. If this were to happen now, such a monstrosity would end you. And then go on to destroy the rest of the world. Not to mention even wound Ku ― I have seen such damage one caused before. All I will say on this issue."

Carine's face was ... scary but mute, after saying this. I get it already, something bad happened. Lighten up-

"Anyway. I will suppose since you are here, you may wish to visit with the patient? Ku I believe has taken up her time long enough; a new face might be refreshing. After this, collect your two mortals and go into the end of the hall; touching the metal plate at waist height will send you all back to your origin point."

"Are my two friends allowed to see Gabi, as she is?"

"Yes, but not for long. Now, please go see to her."

Carine smiled in a caring and warm way, but the rest of her face seemed ... slightly dismissive.


"Aaren? Anyah?" Two heads perked up, and at least one form raced to him, to wrap her arms around his chest. "Oof. I take it, all is better now."

"Yes. Thank you, David. Both I and my daughter thank you, so much."

"Well ... you are welcome. Er- Anyah-"

"I, I love you!"

...

"Daughter. That is too-"

"I know. Anyah, I have ... well because of ... while this disease is going, I am promised to not ... do anything like you are expecting."

"... oh. Um, but well we still can ... oh."

Yeah now she gets it. And the scope for which this project may run. If it's just me ... this may never get done.

"Dear, Anyah. I will never push you away ... if this is what you truly want. But. One of the things I am told, is that it is less worry over the sickness if I keep myself to only fellow deities for now ... at least until I am settled as a 'god', as you call me. Also, I have other things to discuss, before returning with you both. Sit, please."

And so, in as direct but brief a manner as I can, I outline that I will need mortals from around the world to 'help' me to fix the disease from spreading. Others from the woman deity Carine would be helping but this is only a start. I would like to ask Aaren for his permission to have Anyah be with me, to help me for as long as she can-

He nodded with a sly smile, and Anyah squealed in glee ― and then, I understood the nature of this wording.

"I will think you just misunderstood ... but I cannot bother with the details now. So; before we head back ― would you mind if I take a moment to look in on Gabi? She is recovering herself, on down the hall."

"C, can we, too?"

"Yes. Carine said it is allowed, if we keep it brief. Come along, we shall see her. But we must be gentle, she is still weakened."

Anyah is holding onto my arm, like totally possessing me. Seriously, girl, that's too tight, even for a deity-


I pause at the door to the recovery ward, blink, inhale and exhale, then nod to the duo here. Push open the door so slow and quiet-

Ku Dara is sitting beside Gabi, as this trio enter. She turns to us, a moment of thought at all three of us, then back to Gabi to finish her thought with such an intense but polite tone.

"... but then, the matter is final ― he must choose for himself. I won't force him ... and in fact you cannot force him. Besides, your system already had a skewed perspective. Well ... goodbye for now, Gabianna."

As Ku got up to leave, stepping away from the bed ― Gabi now sees the three of us. Her eyes, already damp by a stream of tears still running along one cheek ― perhaps from conversation with Ku Dara ― grow so wide with surprise, then settle to disbelief.

It's in this moment, something I'd also built up in my own mind as something of a critical scene, where I realize ... I'm trembling. No not like 'walking in front of a thousand people to say a business merger address' kind of trembling ... but more, 'I wish I could thank her somehow, for all she has done'. If this makes any sense, then I also have waterfront property in the middle of a dry desert for sale.

Ku has stood, walking with a slow grace toward me, a gentle smile across her cheeks ― until she notices Anyah. Or, maybe hears something. Then, the grin falls. "Hello David ― and friends."

Eyes lock at my side, and I feel Anyah also tense, then her arm loosen. Something just happened, in the span of a heartbeat, didn't it. Some little detail I missed.

"What was that?" I murmured to Ku.

"Oh ... nothing. Nothing important, at least. Well I'll see you later. More affairs to handle. See you at home."

One girl just gasped, and one girl on a bed just sniffed.

'Was saying this truly so necessary, Ku!'

She only smiled again, then pushed on out the door, behind us.

Instead of following her, as I think I should have, I instead sit on the bed where Ku was, only a moment before. Gabi is here, looking so weak ― and also with a face full of fear, hope, terror, and wishes. Honestly the first words said may make or break the-

"Goddess Gabi," Aaren inserts. "Are you well? Will you return?"

"... I ... no. I'm not ... that, anymore."

Instead of acknowledging or denying, I will just take her hand in mine. It's there, and she hasn't moved it from view; so why not?

This is the first time I am seeing her, face to face, without my view being obfuscated. And, without seeing "her" through the statues and replica Luria and other things. Her hand, though, this is real, I feel it's real. In all honesty ... even I doubted Gabi was here, until this second. But, seeing ... no, touching, is believing. And also, I can be thankful she is not pulling away; no, maybe she cannot pull away?

"Gabi. I have to-

"-I, I, I'm sorry, David!"

"Wait. Why are you apologizing to me?"

"F, for that ... the crappy way I ... I left you. It's my fault-"

"No wait. I am trying to say, I want to thank you, for bringing me. No apologies needed, for this. Well I do have some stress or frustration over the details, but ― now we can work it out. Right, Aaren, Anyah?"

"Y, yes, sire."

"... yes David."

"... really? You, you don't ... hate me?" Her eyes darted between the three of us, before settling on me finally.

"No; why should anyone hate you? Whatever you have suffered ... let it be done. You are ... you are alive, and still your own self. Which is leading to the next question I have, for you-"

"G, Goddess Gabi, can you help," Anyah urges her in my behalf, "help God David with the world? Everyone is sick. He needs help. I am willing to help, and so might others; but I know it's not enough, too. And so, you having been our goddess, before-"

Gabi sighs, stares up to the ceiling, and closes her eyes. "I'm not sure I have the power to ... 'help', or anything. Not like I did ... once. In fact it's ... gone; I'm as mortal as you ... right now."

"A goddess can lose power?" Aaren mumbled.

Seriously this is confusing, even to me too. For a Gabi who was, by all accounts, screwing anything and everything only a few days before ... to now seem so old, wiser maybe and shaken definitely, is ... so much of a new side of what I'd thought she would be. Or maybe if I had spent more time in reading her 'journal' to get the inside track, I would maybe understand more of her. Only now is too late for this; I have the real deal right here to query, and not to 'read' through distant words.

"It's not about power, dear Gabi. It's about compassion, and intent to heal. Both feelings I have ... for you. And also have hope you would have, for your former people."

Her eyes watered again ― seriously, do all women find it so easy to cry?

"It won't be as it was before," I append. "But it can improve so it does not get worse. I at the very least want to try. Gabi. I want you, I need you-" Her hand trembled, as I said this last sentence, so I know it touches on something of importance to her; maybe if I stay on that thought? Me saying how much I need and want her with me, with us in the world? "-to help me. Even if you have no deific potential right now, you do have a long life yet; and so it's not like you couldn't earn it back, after a time ― and with your own renewed efforts-"

"But do I even want to."

Anyah gasped, at hearing this; even Aaren stood shocked.

"I mean. I've screwed around long enough. I love this world I made, more than you can know; but somehow ... I failed it-"

"-no. The people ... we failed you, Goddess Gabi."

Aaren has somehow become so resolute, in saying this. Perhaps he knows more than he let on, in all my dealings with him so far.

"Don't think us mortals are oblivious, to what you need now ... Gabi. Well then if David here is our new God ... will you still stay with him and us, to make the transition easier?"

"... healing here will take me a while, you know."

"... Aaren, Anyah. Can you wait ... down the hall ... I have some private things to discuss with her."

The king nods, and pulls along his daughter who wants to remain. "Come, child. Let him be."


"I could have read your diary, and got half the story; but I have not. Instead I would like to hear from you. Maybe it doesn't have to be right now; but it should be ... soon, and the complete truth. Gabi I am not joking ― I really do need you. Especially as I try to determine how to pick a domain-"

"-yeah well you don't have to worry. My 'Merriment' domain should have gone by now; the deific space should have reconfigured itself from my departure, into something more generic, until you do choose. You will not be pressured into any domain choice, not even for the first two or three centuries of existing. Only if you have bought a lounge or shopping space, and gone back into the deific realms-"

"-but I have."

"Huh? Oh no David! Because I am ... or was ... in so much debt- You will be too-"

I was right, she was in debt, of some kind. Only funny I didn't see any hint of this.

"How would I know? I didn't incur any debt when I purchased the lounge space!"

"... y, you, you didn't?"

She laid there, stumped.

"... honestly then it must be Ku who paid it off, for me-"

"She's a good friend, right?"

Gabi's eyes glazed, just a second, then she turned her head away.

"David, if things get ... weird ... you still think you won't just ... throw me away? I'd understand how disposable I am right now, but-"

"Nope; I'm too much a survivor to throw anything of value away; in this critical time I will need to keep anything and everything close at hand. You, Ku, the mortals like Aaren and family, and Elison-"

She gasped. "I think I hurt him the most. I mean, he ... loves me maybe? Love could be too strong a word; but somehow, it's more than most feelings I've got from those I'd-"

"He does. I think so, at least. But you know what; I have a problem that you or Luria could not see, when I was summoned. I'm ... scared of many people. I can't really speak in front of a crowd so well; so that forces Luria or the system or something to boost me, my confidence-"

She chuckled, the first time I see something so outgoing from her. "Yes, me too. I don't know how it does; I just run with it. Or, ran with it."

"So. Why did you leave. The truth. Was it truly, the negative DP income which would lead to your lingering death, or ... all the empty meaningless sex you performed but couldn't stop doing."

"... all of it. I really did decide, I'm done with my world. Even said a few hurtful things to Luria, too; so I'm sure she would be vengeful if I were to ... return."

"Well if she did, then I would have something to say. Listen, Gabi. I've cleaned and expanded the main structure, got the Garden and Workshop working, cleaned the Approach room, and put in a worship mana well-"

"H, how!"

"Ku Dara. She loaned me the stone."

"... b, but ... David. You should have had enough stone, already ― I just, couldn't bring myself to start it; something held me back from it."

"Well so I did, have enough stone. But funny enough, I had a raid-"

"-fuck. Um, sorry, David ― I forgot to warn about that-"

"Well it's okay, I do know of this from my own gaming habits in my last life. But strangely, two of them I'd just met, a short time before, in the lounge space. Prader was one, and he'll get his comeuppance someday soon. Met Petrina and a few others, I'd like to invite them back too. Also haven't been introduced to this 'Dhareff' guy but in the lounge space one wolf bumped into me and growled, maybe that was him. So, you can see those you had as friends, who visit my world ... just not Prader. Or, Dhareff."

"I think those two already did get punished. Ku said something about them to the authorities."

Evidently then, Ku is not even telling Gabi of her undercover works? Which means, I am in on more than Gabi is; which is fine, I won't ever betray Ku Dara.

"Well that would be something to see; a justice system for deities."


PoV: Goblin king G'gorsk.

Full day, fight. Make many times, mad.

Was trick, no man run with sword? But goblin tribes try attack, man on city walls shout, is now many humans fight goblins. Sky rain arrows?

Why!

Grrrrrrr... grow mad, more mad as time pass.

Goblin number grow less. See many goblin warrior body. Blood flow on wounded, still fight but fall. Make king sad, then mad, now want hurt human!

Is maybe, human man name David, give help to city?

How! Why!

Miss messy fart Idiot Lummi too, make king laugh. Need laugh now, not see goblin tribe die-

Hear in city, some instrument. Is trumpet noise. Humans run out, fight goblin more?

WHY!

Oof. Arrow ... in me? AAAAAARGH-

Grow madder, swing hammer high! Call challenge of own!

Call all goblin, FIGHT!

Sappers, time for boom boom.


PoV: Kika.

"Kika sister queen. Was king's daughter, who stabbed me, who killed me. Let me hunt her?"

"Yes. But if she submits to me, you cannot kill her, and she cannot kill you. This is the way I am saying, Kari sister."

"... okay then. But want to attack her anyway. One last challenge, then be done."

"Okay."

"... say again, Lummi good for Kika queen's tribe?"

I rustled his hair once more. "Yeah, Lummi is good. Still smells strange, but acts good."

"Better being here to your tribe than dying on last mission."

I ponder this. Somehow either I am thinking and speaking more like a goblin, or ... Lummi also is speaking and thinking better, just being here? Always in the goblin tribes, there is a thought of the tribe being what the leader of the tribe makes it. Its leader influences its development ... although the goblins from what I know could not say it so well. Only I and Kari sister have the touch, the smarts ... or did Lummi too? But he did not understand when Kari sister and I spoke the other words, did he?

I am thinking, I will have to return to husband David, and see for myself what I have become now.

This also means, finding a new place to be. I can take along most or all of the goblin females who submit to me, and take them somewhere else in this world. David can help?

"Our cave is just around the next hill," Kari sister says.

"I remember," I respond, with tension.

Kari glances at me, then sighs. "Tribe will not recognize you, we will fight to win or lose. Even if what Lummi says is true, Shaman Gagor and fifty girls and their children are still many to fight."

"Come. Not far. Lummi want mallet again. Then want sex time to go Kari and Kika."

... did he not understand what I told earlier? Or did he just think I could mate with him anyway?


PoV: David.

After all this, if Gabi is to know the extent of what I had to deal with, then ... she should properly see me in action, or inaction-

Either way. I am no proper deity just yet; but I do have ambition to become so ... if at least because the people of the world need me to be. Can mortals direct even their own steps? Apparently no.

But also, the things Carine said ― I should be gaining followers to be my representatives and 'voice' among the peoples. And for that, Carine and her crew would then also be ready to 'assist' in healing the people of the world. Not before, and not to allow the same situation to happen, all over again. It would be my failure, not Gabi's, if I let it happen. But it's the thrill of a goal, a destination, which always provoked me to move forward, on Earth.

... is it not the same, here?

I'll also ask Gabi if she made any scripture in this world. I would really prefer to not intentionally go against something she may have set in place decades or centuries ago. Who knows, some of it may even be helpful to me, or something I can use?

"Gabi have you had any mortals make any scriptures or texts or holy writ-"

"No. I never could figure out how to do it-"

"Hmm. Well then. It's okay if I do- Well of course it's okay; I just need to know the peoples first, which is how you can help me. I wish to be introduced to the peoples, and in a way that's not so directed by Luria or a system control. In other words ― help me."

"... David, I'm not so sure of myself. I ... I failed, I gave in enough to something ... and failed."

"You think somehow your people don't want you back?"

"Yes. Or, at least a majority of them only want the same as before."

"Well then, don't give them what they want, give them what they need. Or, help me to do this. I think being a deity is more this than anything else ― and I haven't even been 'in your shoes' so to speak, for more than a few days."

"... I will try-"

"No. Do. Or do not. There is no try-"

8