14: Staying put and going all out.
319 5 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Erissa takes a small while to calm down; but in a sense she may be like Anyah, only less clingy. Much less clingy. I see maybe in the last couple days Aaren and family might have been talking of me, a lot. Like, a lot. The kind of talk that the children of the father and each wife cannot fail to overhear, at times.

I ... no I won't; I don't want to ask Erissa what any of that is. If she has something specific to say, I'll let her say it herself.

But for now ... yeah she has calmed. I'm not sure I should leave her just yet to check on Anyah, or if that would be catering to the fox girl's whims. Right now, I think I'll continue on with the mini tutorial. Starting with a soft 'You see this well here-' and continuing as I had for the three previous guests.


It went as planned. And maybe along with the hug time of holding onto this young girl already so frustrated with her sister, I could show even more so how the water taste changes based upon intent.

Instead of asking 'do you love me' ... I did for the second sip state something of my own.

"Erissa. Now that you've tasted the water and know what it's like here, what if I told you directly. I care about how all people feel. I care how you feel too ― about your family, about your place in the world, about me too. I want you ... to be my friend."

The worship mana was flowing now, almost triple what she'd given before, even with the heartfelt hug too. Maybe this meant only that she did not 'feel' the worship or connect to me before this. But now it's real ... for her and for me.

"Now ... sip it again-"

"... mm sweet. Oh ... so was this what father meant, when he wanted to warn you?"

Clever girl; she'd as much as figured things out, too.

"I won't say warn, so much as he didn't know my intent. But yes. With your sister Anyah I did ask her directly, 'do you love me' and she responded immediately with an affirmative, not even a delay. So I will take it she is by now attached to the thought of me ... which might make for some weirdness if you also like me the same amount she does. I neither want to force either of you to me or away from me; but right now my concern is needing help with calming the state of the world or the effects of this disease. Anyah is wanting to be here and helping me; but in a strange way I too would wish she would take care of whatever issue is between you and her, so her worship would remain 'sweet' as you can see."

"God David," she said after a second of hesitation, "I did try ― did you not see, I had my ar-"

"-but it's not finished; you and her both have a chance to repair the family bond too. Also, I think you are intelligent and maybe calm enough to do this same work, helping me out around the world too. If I hold out the one chance for her and for you, I would wish both of you resolve what personal issues you have between you. Try, once more, please. But maybe not just this moment."

I hold out a hand, palm open to her; she sees it then takes hold, then I walk with her toward the door into 'my control space'.

But.

... seriously? Anyah tore the covers off the bed, even dragged the mattress off it and onto the floor? Is she really, truly-

-yeah. Pissed. Or, something.

"... Anyah."

It's the only thing I can say, for the moment. With Erissa here too, to witness this display of fury, of seeing how things turned out.

But Anyah herself is just ... crumpled into a seated pile on the floor on her knees, hands wiping furiously to cease the anguished tears running. She may have known now how much she did, no matter how much she's hurting inside ― it's still wrong to have done so much to my things. I believe she's a smart girl; but even smart girls can do 'not smart things' when pushed into it.

"I'm sorry!" she continued crying. "I'm not very good, and-"

Erissa stepped forth. "No, don't say that, Anyah; I like you, truly I do. I've always admired your free spirited way, how you have this ... energy about you. I am sorry, it's my fault for having teased you. Our new god David did show me about the well, in how the water tastes better when-"

Anyah bawled harder, anew. "That means you love him to!" she shrieked.

"... no it doesn't. He told me the question he asked you; but he said something different to me, but it still proved the point. Anyah ― I like this man, human, named David ― but as our new god ... nothing more. I am not to interfere in any of your personal interests, because ― well, Father and Mother had a proper talk with me ... like they will with you someday-"

"Wait, Erissa. Let me take a turn." I slowly walked forward, to kneel also as Anyah is, just within reach. Maybe I can also draw her to me, too. "Then, Anyah, will you believe your sister Erissa? Do you see she's not trying to be a problem here, but a help?"

Anyah could not answer yet, she was still sobbing, though of less intensity. I breathed ― realizing I did not need to do so, here in my realm ― in and out, in a slow rhythm. Two complete cycles, then three, then four-

"In truth," Erissa inserted into the calm moment, "I do have someone I like too, but ... I think he likes Anyah more-"

"Bwuah!"

Anyah's reaction was surprising, of her surprise, to match my own. Well ... at least it changed her from crying, to something more likely to be conversant.

"-and when God David caught you, all I could think of in that moment was how you liked God David but the one I liked instead likes you, and I grew angry. So I glared at you and at him, while you were down in the rotunda.
I was thinking, God David might be able to see my feelings anyway, even if I wanted to remain quiet about it. And if he could see it, it's likely he would be compelled to tell you, Anyah ― whether or not I could ever become happy ever again. But what he told me outside at the well woke me up; I learned so much in such a short time. So why not just ... I tell you directly, of this matter?"

"... who would ... no, why ... why would someone like me?"

"As I said, my dear sister. You're outgoing, you have this energy about you, and at times even I have to keep up. Some of it's understandable; I do know our teasing was getting a bit unfair but I thought too if you knew of his own interests in you, maybe my stepping back from that would appease you. Even if ... the one I liked ... went for you."

"-b, b, but ... me and my lord David-"

She looked at me, expecting some words here ... for which I too am at a loss. Not so long ago I was still merely a human, albeit an aged one, who shunned a lot of face to face connections for the simplicity of staying with the electronic partner. The AI models had all had their parts; or rather I made all their parts to suit me-

-in some sense I'm more screwed up than anyone on this world; yet I am to fix- No. Gabi cannot, Luria cannot, the other mortals of the world cannot; and if some of the other deities around the cosmos were to take over here ... could they? I guess maybe, maybe not; it's more or less down to me being 'the best match' ... according to the selection method Luria ran. Some statistical model, only I fit into the number one slot.

But I cannot express all of that to either of these girls ... yet. What I can and will express, on the other hand, are just the simple facts they can understand.

"Anyah. You were just with me in the other realm of my doctor friend. Remember? Mistress Carine? Well, she may have split enough of herself off to talk to you and Aaren; but what she spoke to me was of the necessity to not be intimate right now. Part of this contagion goes from person to person through shared contact. Coughing or sneezing on someone, not being clean and sanitary, contact with substances like blood or sweat or saliva or the body fluids of males and females. I have personally already decided, until this health matter is solved and on the decline, I will not be ... in contact with ... anyone. For the mentioned reasons, just now. While you and I might enjoy very much being together, in this way ― I just have to make the necessary choice. The practical choice, for the world ― save it, or lose it."

"... okay ... my lord David. I understand."

She may look sad, even feel it yet within her; but having heard her say this, I sense she truly does understand. I also am not wanting to let her be hurt, by any means.

"... also. This will also mean if you understand me, and I understand you, less pressure to aim for romance for now, but only for friendship."


Am I maturing as a hum- No. Not merely as a human; but as a person of any sort, of now being a deity for this world's people? I ... I believe so.

I've in this and at least a previous moment 'committed' my mind and heart to do what I can, for a world full of people who would have nothing without someone at the lead. It's fine; I'm not directing all their daily lives; but if I can be of example to them, of courage and faith and ... what's this, love ... then yeah, I'll do it.

Love. Is that what's wrong with so much of the world? Hmm ... not as if I can diagnose 'love problems'; I'd had enough of them myself, more often than not from not understanding it all.

Does Anyah love me? She said earlier she did. But in the romantic, and even sexual way ... I don't know. I sense, only faintly a sense, she may have reduced her desire or need for me in that area, just a little bit.

"... so ... what next, God David."

Erissa is still here. Funny to hear Anyah use 'Lord David' and Erissa to use 'God David' as the address. I will have to make the offer to her, if she wishes to help me too; but first I did want to properly show her around, as I did for Aaren and Tika too.

So, I stand. Look down calmly, at the set of eyes looking back up my way ― and extend my hand. She reaches forward and pulls herself up, too; but then after it, she releases her hand from mine, to stand by herself. It's a fair indicator, she may be feeling well enough to move on, then. But I think I'll still watch her, for any signs of jealousy or anger, as I go.

"So ... Erissa. I want to show you the rest of the realm, just as I did for Aaren, Tika, and Anyah. Anyah you can come along too, again, maybe you have things you saw before you feel like pointing out to your sister; but it's for Erissa to see this time. And then later, if you decide you are willing, Erissa ― you too can help work alongside of me and Anyah and anyone else who is fighting to save this world. In short, we'll be staying put, but going all out ― on setting things straight around here. First things first. This way ... to the Garden."


In about half the time it took with the former three, I showed Erissa around. She properly saw all there was to see; being a half elf didn't hurt in the observational aspect and she didn't dawdle. Except in the Workshop ― so I believe she will be drawn to craft something herself, if I were to also make her a Champion. At this one point she hovered near one of the tool making desks. I arched an eyebrow at noting how strong a glance she gave to it, but said nothing of it, directly.

"... and now, the 'going all out'. Back into the main room, to the one corner."

Once back in this corner, I sensed the time to start fixing what remained of the bleak blackness, the curtain of darkness separating this corner from the rest of the space, visually at least, was now.

"Lur-"

I stopped.

Something was differ-

-no. She was different. The whole, 'hologram' form, was different. Slightly- no, more than slightly so.

No longer the clone of Gabi ... er not so much anyway ... this body shape had morphed into something else.

"Doing something new with your hair?" I queried with an obvious grin.

"Master," she nodded calmly. "This is to be expected. I should have said something earlier; but its eventuality would be noticed in this way too, though system calculations thought it might take more than twenty days to get this far changed. In some ways this is also an indicator of your own progress, too."

"-what happened. What are you saying, Luria."

"The system generated form you see here, and call 'Luria', is part of the deific system controls. The baseline form is one which is generified to be equivalent to the average of all humanoid appearances. It is meant to be such, that as and when a deity takes over or creates a realm, then this agent which is made manifest will shift its appearance, slightly day by day, toward what the master or mistress looks like ... so as to be more acceptable. But a master or mistress could also 'force' a change to happen, much faster than normal, by infusing some of their own essence into the system. Mistress Gabi did this, too; her deific essence can be returned to her at any point; if she were to ... return here. But seeing how she is nowhere to be found-"

"I saw her. She's been found."

Luria's face went blank. A 'blue screen of death' moment. And if she were any more animated, I'd sense the colors leaching out of her 'skin' to become a pale form; but no, that's not the case.

Which leaves me to be wondering, what exactly is this system thinking? If it's true the 'system' is a machine intelligence ... it should hold no hatred or animosity for Gabi. But then again 'Luria' herself ... like an AI version of my own Sera AI too ... also had shown a range of emotion. Concern and confidence, yes. Logic, a fair amount. Compassion ― eh, she'll have to work at it, but maybe. Flirtation and hints at romantic potential, definitely.

More to the point. In lieu of a proper AI Analytical Laboratory layout I'll just have to 'wing it'. What is Luria's feelings or intentions in regard to Gabianna? I know Gabi felt Luria would 'hate' her ... inferring Gabi herself may have been rather cruel or obnoxious to Luria herself, as part of the system oversight of a deific realm. It might not be beyond belief for Luria or the system to believe Gabi would be dead by now, and she'd no longer have to face a Gabi again. Well; unless I myself turn out that same way ... no I won't!

This also presumes the 'system manufacturer' was in part or in total desiring to install all representative emotional imperatives in the system agents who handled the liaison with the deity. In this sense ... the name drop from Ku Dara ... what was the name ... Ton Demo, in the shopping space. Yeah; he's the guy I should be seeing, to diagnose this thing.

But Luria ... the form, anyway ... is standing so perfectly still. Almost as if frozen in time- No, she breathed, in simulation of life; almost an imperceptible expansion and contraction of the chest. Is this even needed? Well for me ... and therefore other deities ... I will say yeah. Just this small motion of 'breathing' lets me know something; the system isn't locked up, it's intentionally remaining silent.

Awkward-

"Let me maybe ask, directly. Luria." Also in this, the form gasped and exhaled, far too realistic to be faked. "What are your thoughts on Gabianna Rainforest, your former mistress."

Those eyes, simulated or not, darted to the other two girls, who stood just as confused as the system agent, maybe.

"Master ... maybe if this-"

"-I require nothing less than full honesty, Luria; from everyone I work with. I want you to include your rationale too; but I want to know, what you feel."

Seeing as how she cannot just 'beg off' until later ... she starts off with a report. More detailed things than I'd even guessed, before this. And with two young mortal females here to hear these things ― their ears and faces burned with the sheer impiety of all the things told of their goddess.

The sex with mortals, one dizzying aspect. She could come and go almost anywhere in the mortal realm ... well, up until the end, when her options became so limited. And come and go she did. Luria told the number of the beings who'd given or received of her lust in all the years of this world ... and this number being in the millions now ... was beyond shocking. Luria listed off by race, too. For the most part she enjoyed fucking the nonhuman more than the human beings; but even to count human partners alone was more than enough. Male, female, young, old, smart or dumb ― she did what she wanted with whoever she wanted. Even before the true rashness of her boyfriend Dhareff and their tragic breakdown and her ensuing meltdown, this was pretty unbelievable.

She even tried addictions. Alcohol ― hangovers didn't last, and she was back to feeling the misery of her misdeeds. Smoking things too, probably ultimately killed off all the marijuana like plants on this world. Even jumped from the clouds a few times ― without a parachute, just to feel the impact. Th, that, that's crazy, right there.

Yet I dared not stop Luria, from this full confessional of what she'd seen of her mistress, or been forced to be part of in her behalf. Little 'favors' which never felt right; things an AI or system would find unbelievable and even fantastic in nature, by rational standards.

And finally, after several minutes of all this, Luria finally got to the ending, the summary of the current system's analysis of the former mistress.

"I ... I hate her. I never want to see her here again. All that I've been forced to see and do at her whim ... it degrades me; and downgrades me. Master please. Please tell me you will not allow her back here?"

Those eyes. No, not physical orbs of sight; but eyes nevertheless, representing an imploring, a pleading with, her master ― me. The system knows ― she knows ― I am the one with the final say. But in this sense, both Luria (the independent logic agent) and the system controls have now decided, Gabi is not desired anymore here.

The two girls' eyes too. Theirs being shocked still, also leaked a mutual tear, at having heard all of this. Well it was my imperative ... and honestly all of this scared the $^*% outta me. No way was I gonna confront Luria by myself! But too, maybe it helps them to see why I too do not want to be alone.

"Luria," I say softly, "have you seen this issue between Anyah and Erissa? Have you seen how it worked out?"

"It's not the same!" she argued, then softened again. "Master no, please, just say she will not be returning-"

"-I did invite her to return," I blurted out, wanting to force the issue yet scared beyond anything logical fearing this would worsen the situation. "No, sadly, Luria ― I cannot say she will not be coming back here. But she is not going to be returning to again be the one in charge. Who knows, maybe in time to become a second deity ― but you selected me. I am here with you too. Only, the way things worked ― um Anyah and Erissa, you two are not still fighting now, are you?"

"No my lord, I love my sister Erissa!"

"I too my lord David, I have love and concern for my sister Anyah."

"See, Luria? Is it not better between them now?"

"... not ... same-"

Some barely heard words, whispered there. Clearly Luria did not want to admit what she could admit. Maybe in some small way she would never truly trust Gabi; but ... I sense maybe the worst of the anger may have passed from her 'conscience'. And then if she could get 'back to normal' this much ... maybe she could in time get back the rest of the way.

"I wish you could express all your thoughts more honestly, but-"

"You really mean this? Master-"

"Yes. I really do mean this. Whether a system agent like yourself, or one of the many races of mortal beings, or any other deity I interact with in various ways ― I request and require full honesty, as I myself will be giving too."

The form of Luria flushed briefly, fading in color then coming back more vivid in hues; and when if was done, only a faint look of disappointment remained.

"... but ... what more do I have ... than to wait out existence in this corner-"

"-I was told a fix for this, you know. I just have to reread Chapter Twelve in the owner's manual, make some corrections along those lines, and you're free to move about-"

True smiles there. Well this says nothing of her angst in regard to Gabi; but I sense then if she can 'hide' or move away from Gabi in the future, the rest of it is no longer important.

"-yes Master! Please do not hesitate!"

I sigh, nod, and decide it's time to settle the matter.

"... and all you want is to not be ... not feel trapped in this corner ... if or when Gabianna were to return? And if she did return, you want to avoid her?"

"Yes. This is all."

"Then okay. Let's get busy."


I consider, first, how Erissa might want to return 'home' first ... but she shrugs it off in favor of taking a small look around again. Anyah first struggles to return all my bedding back to the way it was, and then Erissa also lends a hand to finish the job. Then, I think Erissa might head back to the Workshop soon, before she leaves-

-well even so, I do have some additional comments, before I reread this manual.

"Anyah, Erissa, as you continue in your life, you might want to record these memories. Some time in the future, who knows, people may change their attitudes and things might get more difficult in the world too; but if you do write down what you see or hear in these days, well ... in the future it might help sort out some misunderstandings, or give a context to the people in the world of what happened here and now. This isn't a command, just a request to ... be aware of people and events, and be willing to write down those observations on your own. I would like to prevent a future case of people disbelieving me having said or done something, at a future day."

"... Father already did have this idea, and he asked Gabi's High Priestess Bearnika to collect our observations of ... of you," Erissa supplied. "As was also wrote some things about Gabianna which even includes nothing of what Luria has just stated. But ... just last night ... Father heard, our Beary died-"

"Oh. I am sorry to hear this. I can only ask you, once you return ... if you would spread the word for people to try to keep themselves clean ― their bodies, their clothes, their foods, their houses and furniture ― anything for their daily contact should be clean, because even without having a 'cure' or remedy for this contagion, keeping clean as a process is ... all I can ask to begin. Do feel free to stay if you will want; but returning and spreading the word of keeping clean to all parts of your father's kingdom is one step to take immediately. Even messages sent by dispatch to various villages, towns, cities, and so on, should not be passed over. Even in the farming and agricultural communities which produce the food."

I see subtle looks between these two sisters; Erissa would like to stay, but she knows I have some serious reading to do. Also, she knows Anyah will be the only one to return her if I cannot; but then maybe she hopes Anyah will not get even with her for past things?

"I will take you, my sister," Anya said at last. "And, will bring you back after we have a talk with our parents."

I nod, while the two are exiting back out to the Approach room, the point of departure. Well ... sooner or later Anyah must try taking someone along with; now is as good a time as any.

... I sit once more at the kitchen table, a certain heavy instruction manual propped on the table's edge-


One hour. Two. Three?

I sigh. I've read this whole stinking chapter here ... four, no five, times. Six, if I count the slight backtrack on one specific subheading ... which still did not make any sense.

Even without sight of Luria, I can sense she is impatient. Funny to think of a System, or system's Agent, as having such literal emotions as to have become that. But ... impatient is one definitive sensation I am hearing. Once or twice to hear the subtle 'ahem' from beyond the murky veil shrouding the corner space ... I know who is doing it and why ... she is wondering what is taking so long; and I'm too embarrassed to admit-

-well. I should properly be capable of telling even this much, after having dealt with emotions between siblings, and cleared a path for Luria to not be under Gabianna's torturous control. Yes, I should- but first, toilet time.

...

... that done, I properly carry this whole manual along with me ... stepping at last into the corner-

-face to face with the pouty imploring look of my chief agent here. Truly, how anyone can show this much pout is beyond even me-

I would chuckle but it's still a serious thing to bring myself to admit.

"I have no idea. I've read this thing at least five times or more, just to completely have the concepts slip right through my fingers."

"... aw-"

There. Tearing up 'eyes' too. It completes it, it sets the mood, of how I'm unable to 'fix' what I honestly want to fix ― both for her sake and mine.

The parts of the problem I don't understand are, relatively small; I understand the problem itself the most. What I don't understand too, is how in reading one section, somehow my memory of certain sections are ... fuzzy. It feels like, some 'magic' of the tome itself 'erases' my understanding of the technical lore required, as if it's supposed to be someone of higher understanding or proficiency, and-

-okay most of this is starting to piss me off, too. On Earth I was in the top of the top most intelligent on the whole planet; I made a frikin sentient AI possible for worldwide consumer use. So ... one little instruction manual is ... GAAAAAAAAH!

I'm breathing hard and it's not even necessary. Not hot, not cold, not humid, not dry; just ... my own mood, in response to awareness of the facts.

"So it's like this, Luria. I read and read and read, and at certain points it's wiped out. Maybe I don't have the technical proficiency or maybe I don't have a key resource; but for some reason-"

"Master. In times like those, the manual sections are to be read aloud by the one to perform the repairs, and also the person is supposed to let the instructions guide all their movements. It is also a 'repair by automation' set of instructional text. Start reading from the chapter title, and end at the final word of the chapter including footnotes or endnotes."

"... uhh could it be this simple-"

Facepalm moment. Aah I thought all along I'd have to understand the repair first, in order to personally effect its execution!

I shake, with a renewed excitement, and open the manual once more. Luria this time looks again with renewed anticipation, of at last being rid of the state of darkness here-

"Chapter Twelve: Care and Maintenance of the Heart of Logic-"


Now this is what I'm talking about!

I'd awoken as if from a slumber, still holding the manual but not being able to remember a nanosecond of the time which passed. By looking into the clock in my view, I see it's been a mere seventeen minutes; but looking in and around this corner, it-

-no darkness! And Luria, the System Agent, is glowing ever brighter ... before gadding smoothly about the room too. She's "only" a hologram, one could say; yet "she" is still moving her generated form into each of the room parts ― until she at last comes back to me. I sense, she would 'hug' me if she could; but in this nonphysical form she cannot. At best, her next hope is probably ... obtaining said physical form and oh boy the next thing after this would be her inferring intimate contact.

Back to square one in that regard; Luria would be a 'safe sex' choice for me; she could not be infected nor impregnated, so even if the mortal beings did die as time passes ... she would not. It infers she could be with me ... to a literal 'forever'. If, I didn't already have Ku Dara as one option.

But looking again into the chapter text ... yeah no I still cannot understand. It means whatever was done, was done right and I'll have to presume as well nothing else was tampered with. Anyway, in lieu of seeing nothing else out of order or changed in the blinking lights and control panels, this thought is all I have to rely upon. It ... it's complete.

Also I feel ... lighter? Could somehow Gabi's darkening of this one corner have made both her, and now I before this, feel so 'heavy' or somehow constrained? Well no I do sense all the problems yet in the world being dealing with the pandemic of illness, the loose morals in most places due to Gabi's having slept around, and now ... well maybe it's some food issues too. Speaking of Gabi-

"Luria. Before, you said something of returning Gabi's portion of her essence imbued upon your appearance, and now ... I wonder, did my fix just now disturb that probability or not?"

"No Master, her energy is here, in this orb-"

Luria extracted from some inventory, one small miniscule fist sized orb, appearing as glass but probably something stronger.

"... and, this ... I just, send it to Gabianna directly, or to ... where she is?"

"By definition, the originator must have enough energy to begin with, to retract all of this energy back into their self. If Gabianna Rainforest is not capable of completing the task due to health or wellness, a deity in the medical profession must be capable of infusion of the source essence back into the originator."

I nod, and accept the orb to hold it within one hand. It's not heavy at all, making me wonder if it should have any serious weight or if this is normal. In the last day I'd seen Gabianna capable of sitting in the hospital bed, but not much else. If the infusion process would be difficult, then yes either Carine or one of her staff would have to assist. Hmm; I fire off a brief note-

-RING!

"Hello-"

The face of Carine is leaning forward into the view, scarily close.

"Yes David she would regain a thirteen percent possibility of obtaining her power," the slightly concerned Carine leaned into the picture, "-if this essence is brought in immediately. And for that, no charge if you come now, with that essence."

"Okay I accep-"

-vwoop-


Again in Carine's private hospital, this time I arrive straight into her private office facing her, still holding onto this orb Luria had presented. I'm sensing somehow this is urgent. Really?

Yes. Carine eyes the orb with a keen interest, one which I might suspect would be envious of even this small amount of Gabi's pure essence of an earlier era. Can I assume she is ethically bound to 'do no harm' to any patient?

"Wait. I don't know if any of this amount is enough, or if this is even pure enough, or tainted by the disease on my world-"

"-doesn't matter right now, the situation is severe enough to chance it-"

"-whoa, whoa, WHOA. Chance it? What is going on here!?"

Carine now glares here. "I'm not sure I should say, David-"

"Tell me!"

Okay, I'm starting to feel hostile; but I'm knowing it could do Gabianna no good, nor Carine either, if I do get hot under any collar. But still it bothers me at indirect hints and inferences-

"Well okay then David. After you last left here, Gabianna Rainforest and Ku had another chat ... some things were said ... and some of Gabi's analyzed levels are dropping rapidly-"

I don't get it but I'm nevertheless holding this orb forward even closer toward Carine, who takes it with haste and disappears. I stare in awe at the now empty room, shake my head, and step back into the hall-

-almost bumping into a man ... with a red cape. A subtle thought also starts to cross my mind ... until I note on a bench in this hall, a sitting form of Ku Dara, slumped into the seat and holding her head in hands ... in shame.

S, something ... h, happened ... d, didn't .. i, it.

I got this weird, eerie feeling ― Ku Dara and Gabianna might have had some words, at the very least ― exchanging words if not challenges.

I try to think back, hmm, wait what again did Ku say back then-

Ku looks up at last; I sense a withheld tear in one eye, and she looks with almost sorrow at me, easing around the man here.

"Ku. Tell me truly. What happened."

The elder gentlemanly god noted my presence, finally scooting back so I could approach, and sighed. So he knows of me, at least by mention then. I can only turn back to Ku Dara and complete my own approach.

"... I ... I can't ... David." As I settle onto the bench, one lone tear streams down her cheek and falls, to vanish somewhere not here. She turned toward me, and pressed her head into my shoulder-

Well that ruins my plan of staying put, yet going all out. At least if Anyah were to return, Luria should properly be capable of telling where I went, and how long I'd been gone too.

... this is gonna take a while, right.


After a moment of enduring Ku's wracking sobs against my shoulder, the man I presume is her father at last groans, sighs, and plops himself in yet a different bench, straight across from me. Whatever is going through his own thoughts, our eyes meet ― a silent nod from each of us, meaning what we might say to each other can wait, until after this dreary moment passes.

A mere minute later, a sharp woman's voice ― Carine's ― rises in warning; but another female voice ― Gabianna, in mortal pain ― screams and screeches. Three of us are silent; even Ku cannot let another tear fall. But the painful yell only lasted ten seconds, then cut off abruptly. Half a minute ... a minute ... then two-

Carine herself steps through the doors, walking with a weariness I'd seen in other physicians and surgeons, far too many times. It means, without saying a word ... bad news which she cannot put forth words to speak.

Carine bypasses the door into her office and instead continues on the way to here, wincing at the god who would be her husband, yet returning a glare to her own daughter. Ku in this moment has the 'deer in the headlights' look too, another thing I've seen; but she can only exhale, as if her fate had now been consigned. Better to know than not know?

This silence is ... killing me. No not really; but I have no better expression in this instance.

"Tell me, what is the prognosis," I prod.

"... normally I would call for next of kin ... but this instance being Gabianna ... any clue to her parentage is unknown. She isn't saying; so she does not want any family to know where she is, or, maybe cannot say because she does not know. David. Have you come across any reference, or mention, or written detail even, of ... her family?"

It should be an easy yes or no question; but funny enough, I think I've been in that world long enough now, I just maybe might have heard such a detail and missed it. But try as I might, I cannot recall any. But. Would Luria-

I shook my head a 'no' response from me; but then I also answered this latent thought. "The possibility of the system agent named Luria knowing these details exists. But by myself, I am still acclimating to a world which is right now still in trouble. Is it also as easy as asking Luria to tell this detail?"

"Mostly yes, but ... I can ascertain from the imbued energies from the orb, Gabianna may have acted cruelly toward this same system agent. The feelings of the system model you call Luria might not be trustworthy."

I both do want to counter this thought, and do not. Surely Carine and the others already have this thought; and an immediate rebuttal from me would only seem ... childish, to them, maybe. Even if I might now have feelings Luria would not lie if asked in the proper context, even I am not one hundred percent certain. And this ... this is a scary thought, relying solely upon Luria to tell of Gabi's ancestry.

I shook off those thoughts. "Hey, you still have not said the prognosis."

"... because I cannot. Not if a living relative exists but is not present. It's a matter of someone of an immediate lineage having more to insert of the energy. In truth this essence infusion was a possibility all along, even before Gabianna was brought in by Ku. Only, why she never said this possibility existed is ... beyond me. Anyway. I cannot reveal certain things but I will tell you David of what happened, just now. I did pressure Gabianna to accept this infusion which she initially resisted, but in the end she accepted. The problem is not one of quantity nor quality but one of completeness; essence from a living relative would allow me to fill in a gap."

"... no similar substances exist, to use in exchange?"

"Yes, some do, but the alternative takes longer time to heal-"

"If the alternative won't go against her conscience, why not allow that then?"

Stalemate. This doctor did not want to use the alternative, she wanted to use a substance the way perhaps she was trained ... however many centuries ago.

"Look Carine, all I'm going to say is, if the non-essence alternative will work, why resist it. Go ahead and use it."

Finally I heard Ku stir, at my side. "David. The one remaining detail which is a long shot, is-"

"Don't tell him." Carine shot a warning glance to her daughter.

"-hey!" I yelped. "Wait, if Ku wants to tell me of some extremely difficult chance, why not let-"

"-then I might not want to perform the procedure-"

"Wife. Stop."

Carine looks with such shock at this man, the one still wearing this smart looking red cap with golden trim, and then ― vanishes, perhaps to her office.

Another tense second passes; then I exhale at last.

"Can I invite the both of you back to my realm ... so we can talk?"

"I'd like that," this fatherly man nodded. "It's time for something strong to drink."

"And I wish I could offer something strong, if I had anything-"

"... eh well let's go anyway. We got some talking to do, son."

I met his extended hand, merged contacts, and then rubbed my hand after retracting it. He has a hella strong grip, you know-


Now seven of us were crowded in around the kitchen table in Gabi- I mean, in my kitchen. Me, Ku, her father, Luria (who didn't need to be so close), Anyah, Erissa too, and somehow my call worked at drawing Elison in to this realm?

Seriously, Luria, don't be so clingy, so needy.

Though neither Ku nor her father are saying why she was crying, and thus won't reveal what was said to Gabianna ... at least the three of us are informing the other four of what is known to this point. Ending in, the point of Ku and maybe her father chipping in for the explanation of this mysterious chance to help Gabianna.

"Very simply, David ... this realm ... is also made from Gabianna Rainforest's essence."

It takes me a second longer than it should have, to figure out what she means, from this one sentence.

4