18: Aren’t I already enough to help you?
95 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"... Master! It's not like this!" Luria grew wide eyed, indicating some likely misunderstanding. "But ... aren't I already enough to help you?"

"The answer to this is a question in return. While Gabianna Rainforest was here, why were you not able to keep up with maintaining the state of the world?"

I'm not meaning to challenge her so direct; but I do see a hint of hurt in her eyes. Simulated or not, they are showing I did make a point. To answer either way, she will have to come to the point to admit whether or not she was capable of doing this thing. So, I'm not saying she could not, only she did not. She did not do everything possible to keep the state of the world from the outright health failure all over the place. Either because Gabi had given orders to countermand her attempts, or due to at some point ... Luria just gave up. Gabi may have been too degenerate, she may have been too careless; who knows the mind of a 'system agent' except for Luria herself? And if worse came to worse, at what point did Luria then just ... quit caring?

Also, in other words ... would I have to face the same point in the future? Would Luria see me being myself, and she just 'checks out' and refuses to help as she did for Gabi, until too late? But in a past day I do remember she admitted, she would stop pressing me in how I do certain things, or even to push me at all. Yet here she is, inserting her will to be my 'only one', at my side by right.

Luria has not answered this simple query, even after more than thirty seconds of me standing here. Whether she will or not, I have things to add.

"... I can never let this world come to the point it has been in the past. I'm not Gabi; you know this is true now. Yes, I will rely upon you; but it's not a matter of relying on only you, either. I can and must and will have more mortals here to come and go as necessary. Maybe this is the maturing of a realm, an ability to have ― what do other realms call them ― priests and priestesses, oracles, et cetera. Basically, mortals who also work alongside of me and my will, and to keep other mortals in check. I would love to know you are a major factor in this; but also it gives mortals something to look forward to, as they grow from youths to even older. Yes, I do need you, for stability, and them."

At last, her head bobbed down ― a tentative nod of affirmation. Good; she accepts this, at least for now. What other reason could I have anyway? Would she think me capable of doing with the female mortals of the world, what Gabi did with both the male and female mortals she brought here? Um ... not saying I might not have the chance; only, since I have in fact made a bargain with Ku, I'll stick with this in the first place.

"Anyway. This was just two initial parts of the first message; I have thoughts for also adding a third point ― to open up a quest system for all the mortals. With it, each adult being who can use a quest system, can help to do things. Things which either aggravate me for their repetitive nature, or to perform things which are within their ability but which I would not have time to do myself. For their effort, they could obtain some kind of points as well ― and a way to use those points in ways which will benefit us and them in the process. Does such a thing exist, or-"

"Master, yes, it does. Within the shopping screen, a mortal quest system can be bought for general use. It's much the same as for what I spoke of you doing in behalf of your Champions, only with a much higher cost. As you worked with Kika and the system judged you did direct her within the level of action which you were able to do ― I did not interfere. Likewise, this quest system would need minions dedicated to work with and direct the quests and oversee the results. A footnote for the system says to select a minimum of twenty minions from among your subjects, or summon or spawn through other means. A system agent like me is only equivalent to ten such minions; in the absence of such minions, I will be used and it will tax my system. Sorry but I am ... not enough."

It is good she admits this point; I can move forward now on other aspects.

"That's alright, Luria. I would take the footnote's advice to heart and summon the minions. It would leave you free to oversee the larger picture of the world as my support, and interact with these minions and those mortals too, right? What of the cost, how much-"

"Essentially so. You already have enough to buy a quest system outright but making the purchase will bring you back into the same state as Gabi left you in seven days. You have a DP volume in your worship mana well which is near full; the DP/s income has begun to decline but at such a slow rate it's indistinguishable. Your income still far surpasses all expense to date, so I calculate in the short term ... you have nothing to fear-"

"-except fear itself," I laugh at the intentional joke, which maybe Luria does not have context to know. "So. The first message being to outline all of these three points, a second message will be to indicate selection of a brief number of persons to come here with me. This message then will be solely to inform all, selection is fair and balanced ― no favoritism or bias ― with members to come from any race or job or social background. Just to be fair, I have a thought on denying those who already hold power from being selected, and instead pick from those held down by others or circumstance. Eh, this is not a specification ... yet, anyway ... just a thought."

"Understood, Master. I shall work up the wording for these two messages to come, as well as draft up the automatic selection qualifiers to obtain the best result."


I take a moment to consider this renewed realm. It's grown from when I first arrived, and I think it's important to take note of it before moving on to do more.

The Approach to the Deity room is now four times how it started; its two hundred by two hundred meters makes a decent arrival point. My Residence, now as large as twelve by twelve meters, still has a same arrangement of inner rooms, and I should rearrange things soon; but for now it's good. The Garden space has grown larger, to a safe one hundred fifty by one hundred fifty m². Its ground depth also had grown from two meters to ten meters, and also the paths and central well had grown too. I also have a new Prairie as a pasturage area; it doesn't yet have a fairy minion, but I see too how I can summon one.

If I wanted, I could also add more new rooms; a Great Library, a full Lounge Access, a Custom zone, and more of the inner rooms in my Residence.

"Kari!" I call out.

Kari takes a moment to complete her circuit of my realm ― still without limits on the doors ― but I sense in my calling her, she comes straight back this way. Good; then I know I can call to anyone in any structure of my realm, and know they should hear me. The only thing remaining is, if I can have a word to call all, however many will be, guests in my realm.

"God David," she says in her singsong way. "Your realm is so cool! The grassy place too, and the grass tasted so sweet!"

"Kari, you are right. But if you are ready to go back to where Kika is-"

"-no! We did not do the bathing together!"

"... Kari ... why is it so important-"

"-b, because! You had a bath with Kika, and then walked in the world with her, and had an adventure, then she evolved! And if I want to evolve, I need to do the same things!"

Frustrated, she expresses so loudly her desire to grow into something more. In one sense it's funny to see her stand there, fists balled tight, with an almost angry glare at me. I sense in her mind, she cannot fathom how I can't understand how much she wants this; and in part I don't. On another, it's also a serious reminder to me she has a set destination, something she wants to achieve in her life, and soon. She is no less determined to evolve than I am to heal the world of its sickness ― only, her order of priorities may be out of the ordinary. Honestly, I guess, all goblins may be this way too.

"But that wasn't what got Kika to evolve, not entirely. It isn't from bathing together itself; adventures help, but it's from our shared time together, and how she saw my purpose needing to be here, which helped her to evolve. You will get to the same point yourself, Kari; you cannot force yourself to evolve in the same way."

"... oh." Her fists loosen, and her head tilts downward too. "Then ... send me back, if you want-"

Oh so cute a pout, the same as Kika had once. I almost want to invite her to stay for a while longer; but I do have to get on with my reason to be here now. Kari would be either in the way, or feel her purpose is more needed ― in short, to go ahead with my need, I must send her back, but with reason.

"Okay I'll send you back, but later you can come back here, as can Kika and others from the mortal world. I am about to make the next words to all the people, so you may soon be seeing what I say again. I will tell you now, and you can tell Kika if you want. What I need is people ― of all races and professions, those who can be my eyes and hands, healing the sick. People who do not stop with their part of the job until it is done. I will do three separate messages. The first is to tell the success in making this realm new, and how I can select people to come here and help me with the more parts. The second part is for telling how I select people, and starting the selection step. The third message will be to reveal to all the start of the healing. Unless I have to change my timing ― it should be a day or two between messages."

Kari grinned. I had told her more than I needed to; and who knows if she could remember all of this, to tell her sister and other goblins?

"Ready? Do you want a hug before going?" She has already had a bath for herself so is more or less clean; but some of the dampness on her is a mild sweat from the sickness in her. All I can do at most is a hug; any more body contact might infect me more. I lean in and she grabs me tight, then releases too. "Okay-"

I call the system to send her back to her previous place, and she vanishes from sight. I sigh, considering now I need a new bath. Time to get to work!


Luria has presented the written script of what I am to say, to introduce this next visual message. She again will add the needed system translation to all languages, with as close a meaning as possible to my base intent.

The script is good. No I don't need to change the wording so much, it fits my meaning already as I know Luria has been watching and listening what I have been saying. Every word matches what I would come to say without meandering or losing focus. All I'll have to do is just read, with good and honest intent.

I do however add two things. First, since all the message nodes are over full of worship mana sent to me from the mortals, I'm more than willing to share some systems with the mortals. Systems and skills of which they can purchase through their own mana ― Analysis, being the main one, and a Lesser Clean and Lesser Heal for those who qualify. This should take the sharp edge out of so many getting sick, and allow those with an iota of ability to heal people in their own range. Luria adds these words as I speak them to her. A third one may be a Questing system, which allows those who have the means and will to do my works ― to sign up, perform tasks, and get a reward.

Second is then putting on notice all criminals and those who do malicious things to their fellow mortals. They cannot keep their acts hidden, any longer; the best they can do now is to come clean about their deeds, express their regret at doing those things. In short, I am starting an intent to keep all honest and honorable, by one true need. This listing of sins gets weighed both by severity against another living souls as well as time since the sin is done. More recent and severe sins will then deny future benefits to them, and will be shown in status screens shown to those with the Analysis ability. Nobody will get away with a sin unseen, after this. But on the flip side, doing positive deeds can allow the redemption of certain sins.

I am sure those with a higher sin rating will get pushed out of communities, and then even be of less harm to 'civilized cultures' which will develop after this. Further, those who hold a higher holiness rating from doing good deeds will be drawn towards communities who can benefit from their deeds.

I stand tall, visibly ready to speak. Luria is standing here ― at my side, this time ― and even she will speak for part of it. She indicates some of the staunchest holdouts from supporting me are thinking my words are a ruse, as if I'm holding Gabianna hostage or something ― what they would do. For Luria to appear and speak with equal sentiment may go a long way to reducing those thoughts or the infectious nature of their seducing others to think it. I'm all for it; Luria is loving the attention and knowledge her opinions matter, and I'm feeling it's a great thing too.


PoV: Samiel.

I feel myself groan, and move.

This ... has felt like ... a long nightmare. The burning seemed to have eased; I can think more clearly than earlier, almost to the state of the past day before this.

"... ugh ... Indra ... help-"

"Yes mistress?"

She's not looking so good, either. I can't help this, and I don't know who can. But maybe-

"David-"

"Mistress. The David you keep mentioning has finally came here, and found you desperately ill. He did some things to heal you as he could, but then also had to go. I am thankful what he did has allowed you to return to this level of awareness."

"... aw, I missed him-"

"He said some things to tell you once you awoke. Mistress. In short, you will be deprived of a normal dungeon income you should receive from dungeon visitors, people who enter to challenge their fate against your minions. One thought he has for your future is to possibly move your dungeon to some other point on the mortal world, where you will have more accessibility to new peoples. A second thing is, he's gone back to his realm to make a new announcement for all people to see. He has a plan for helping the world to heal, and will even bring mortals of this world into his realm to be his 'helpers'."

My heart skipped a beat ― not easy for its six chambers; but still I felt suddenly hyper aware. "I want to go! Tell me, did he say how a person could go there? Anything?"

"Mistress. I have the sense he went to make the message to the world to answer this message, even as we speak. I imagine right now he is finishing the details of what he will say. You have just to wait, and try to get better. In this, if you have energy to organize this dungeon even the least bit, could you bring all the minions here too? I think it would be easier for us all to see the message, together."

I grin. Using my dungeon screen, I transport my minions from their individual rooms to come here ― they don't need to be in separate rooms if no adventurers would be coming here.

"But see here Mistress. They are still ill, and I've been doing the work God David told me I should try, while you were ... unavailable. This is what he said-"

She told me directly the things she had done, and what she had seen David do too, while he was here. I nod; whether right or wrong, he as my god had the right to do it. In this sense it's something I should be doing too, to take care of my minions. I enlarge the water fountain in one corner of the room, and add more drinking containers. Indra and I do as he did, tending to the minions who were still on the ground and not doing so well.

... and now, we wait ― for the message to come.


Half an hour after getting this much going, I see it. A sudden pop of the replaying message window, and a new window appears in this place. I see David now, as his face looks more worried than the last time I saw him. He is within rights to look so haggard. But also a new form beside him, which surprisingly looks like ... me? Me of the way I was, when young, on Earth? But also like him too ... which feels just as weird.

About half of my minions are more or less as I am now, at least cogent enough to sit up and move and drink on their own power. A third of the remainder are awake but not moving; I have arranged them at least to be laying on the floor but propped up so they can see. This makes me feel like a hospital nurse; but oh well.

I see he is opening his mouth to speak, so I give my serious attention to him now, not even thinking of my minions.

"Greetings to all who see this new message," David began. "If you can see this, you know I have indeed survived this realm reboot and I am now ready to begin the next stage of activity. At my side here is this realm's system agent named Luria, who was Gabi's own helper, before I ever came here. Luria, if you will, introduce yourself-"

"-yes Master. As my master has said, I am Luria the system agent of the deific realm which formerly held Gabianna Rainforest, your previous deity. This world has existed for seven centuries, and I have been here all those many years, watching and managing at the need of the deity who held this world. David is correct to state how Gabianna is no longer here, but also in how she is in a separate space being taken care of, until she is well. David will allow her return if she herself so desires; but it's by her own choice ― he will not pull her back if she has no desire to be here. Freedom of personal choice is a trait both David and myself do uphold as a crucial right of all living things."

This Luria stops, and her perspective moves back to David, who resumes talking. "Thank you Luria. Now; what remains after this last day and more of rebuilding this realm? My only task at this stage is to heal all those I can, to clean the world, to give all who believe in me support for their faith. To do this, I am eager to also ask for your continued help so the most effort can be accomplished in the shortest time. Most certainly, it includes your willing partnership, if you so desire to have your name written into this new history, for all time."

Here, he seems to pause. Why pause? I would suppose, he may either still think like a mortal himself, or he is aware we who are mortals will desire pauses where they should be. A pause allows the mind to halt, to focus on a statement, or to pivot to take in the next sentence or statement. Or maybe all of those reasons.

"Yes, you can help; but also for you to help me, I have to help you to be ready to help me. I will make a small list of abilities, skills, or traits ready to be bought by all who can obtain them. The first one is an Analysis system. By looking at people and places and things with this ability, you may see qualities of what you see. You may see a status screen in your vision, but the information will be visible only to you. The screen cannot be shared with people who do not have the ability. The cost is not so much; it's just a small amount of your mana capacity or mana points until the cost is paid off; but the benefits you will see for the rest of your life. And yes, nearly all of the living things in this world have a potential for use of mana, even if they do not know it."

Luria adds the next part. "Due to the properties of this Analysis system, if you should look at other living sentient beings, you will be able to see their status too. Also what are seen as 'sins' ― like a crime against another being, or against David's will ― would be shown in this display screen. Each sin is marked with a severity and the time at which it happened. The list of sins will be accrued to a person. If too many serious sins occur, a being can still obtain the Analysis system, just not know what part of their status' sins will show to others. In short, this way will be to let all see what a person has become. But if a sentient being has a desire to help now, the only way to diminish those sinful marks is to perform acts of compassion, kindness, and respect to others. It is the only way."

Back to David. "I will uphold these things as the righteous ways to keep your lives clean from sinful conduct. But. All lives on this world are mortal, to some degree or another. All will be tempted throughout their life to say or do something contrary, but what is better is to remain humble, and not let an arrogant state enter your mind. I expect soon societies of sentient people large and small will improve their state of life by enforcing laws on acceptable conduct, based upon what's shown through this Analysis screen."

Here, another pause. There's more? Yes, he indeed has more to tell; I am waiting to hear it, all the way to the ending.

"Second, a Questing System for those so eager to help me with assignable tasks. Tasks will be acts the one who purchases this questing system can do; it relieves me from doing these acts so I can focus on things beyond most mortal beings. It helps all of us together ― if we do what we can, when and where we can; and hopefully in the near future we can see the state of this world improve. Through it, a quester will see a screen which shows the quest objective to be completed, perhaps a time to complete it, and a reward for completing it."

Luria, again. "To be honest ― as David is still a new deity here ― his list of rewards are similarly constrained, due to the health concerns which are present in the world; yet the early effort will still get the reward. But one of the rewards will be a number of points you may redeem at a later time. A future system may be a shopping system, with items which can be bought with those points. The items may include from a fair list of abilities, skills, and traits, or consumables, or even materials you may use to build objects or structures. All will be beneficial to you, whether immediate or for the long term."

David now. "Two of the immediate skills I am making available is Lesser Clean and Lesser Heal. Do not look down on their being marked lesser; they can help with healing minor hurt, aches and pains, cuts and scratches, and so on. Lesser Clean is to make people and items clean; Lesser Heal is to heal damage. With a proper use it can improve to allow more heals, and to heal in a greater amount for the one being cared for. It works best when the user of this heal skill already has the Analysis system, because it allows a greater control of how a heal is done. Even without an Analysis system, the Lesser Heal has its own brief status screen showing the health of the person seen. Anyone can obtain the Lesser Clean with the cost of purchase in mana; but Lesser Heal has one limit. The limit for buying this is: a mature person past the peak of their puberty and with a calm mind. This need is so the person is able to act through a heal with a calm mind and heart, and complete the heal task."

Luria adds more. "Some heal attempts may fail; this does not mean the target is unable to be healed, only the person trying to heal is not yet able to finish it. This also connects with the Questing system; if someone else in range of the person has the ability to heal the target, a quest can be given to them instead. Heals should not be sold to others for coin or other means of exchange of values; you should heal for the sake of healing the person as its own reward. Cleaning of items is most healthful for your physical bodies, especially when focusing upon the things which you use on a regular basis."

"The more a person cleans or heals, the more these things will improve to a maximum quality. Use your best judgement, and help each other without requiring payment ― I will pay you, myself. All mortal beings still might fall to the sickness, if not careful. Those you clean or heal is one less chance for a sickness to spread through living being ― though even this is not an absolute escape from the sickness in this world."

David inhales, and exhales; and now I have the feeling, the true reason for this message is about to get revealed ― if what Indra said is true. It should be interesting; and already I'm so charged up and waiting for more!

Slowly, he starts, and I'm waiting to hear these words.

"And now ... a word or two about even more of what's coming. All these abilities, skills, and systems which are made available at cost ― they are for a purpose. In the near future I want to select from all people of this world a team to be my helpers and representatives to a wide swath of people. I am setting up the qualities which I will admire and respect, which will be most useful in selection of my group. Of most use to me is a positive state of mind and morale ― especially with those who agree to assist me across all races, cultures, and parts of the world. I have already only met a few people, but I am fine with meeting and interacting with all sorts. Goblin, lamia, foxkin, dogkin, catkin ― and far more than I can mention in one listing. If a race lives, I can welcome one of their kind here ― with a limit being, the ones selected must be able to interact with others, of races other than of their own, in this same way."

Luria inserts once more with a keen observation. "This realm has never been so open to mortals as it will become in the future; this effort has also never been attempted before. This message too will not repeat incessantly as did the first one; we do know how much this first message came as a surprise to all here. It will now show only during the daylight hours, once each half hour between sunrise and sunset, from these places where you may see them. This is to reduce your growing weary from hearing these words, yet frequent enough for you to not forget them. All who remain alive heard the last message; all should be allowed to see this and all following messages to come, without it obstructing your lives. The stone totems which deliver the messages to your views are means for each of you to choose which system, ability, skill, or trait available. At any time of day you may approach the totem, touch it, and follow through a listing of things available to be selected by you, at that time. More may be added as time progresses, so please do check again as you have time."

David looks eager to wrap up the message; I think he's planning something ― he seems to have a mysterious grin-

"And ... this is all the main points we have to say, at this point in time. Do understand we endure this time to work at things both great and small. Some of them only possible by us in this deific realm, some of them possible with your help, but all of them important. I look forward to meeting more of you in a more direct fashion, before long. Then ... all of you ... until next time ... live long and prosper-"

The message cuts off, the message totem here sitting idle now resting in place.

... seriously? He uses a greeting from an old Earth science fiction show? ... uh whatever; but let's see if this offer of skills and things is real or not.

Eagerly, I reach out to touch-


PoV: David.

"... master, what was this ending phrase?"

I grin, despite myself. My added ending would be only a personal joke from my last life; but I'd feel apropos surprise if people start using this as a common greeting now. Well if they do, they do-

"Aha, it's more an inside joke; only someone else from Earth might get it. Okay. Luria. What next ― aah um what's the next issue to take on-"

"Master. That parting comment was-"

"-an inside joke, I tell you! But apropos, if you think about it. A wish for all those being talked to, to literally 'live long' and so respect life ― and through this means they 'prosper'. Never forget, in my past life I was first and foremost a businessman, a head of a large ― no, massive ― corporation. I ran a business, which in turn ran other businesses. Sometimes I even ran those other businesses into the familiar ground ― but got what I wanted to be mine. True business of course requires acumen, and one of those aspects is the knowledge of how to motivate others. I would think through your observing me, you have seen how ― despite my failing to speak in front of large crowds ― I still made things work. I overcame my weaknesses, for the needs of the moment."

"... Master ... remember what you said about humility-"

-aah, she got me there; I gape in silence for her perfect retort, yet know it's not meant in anger. Well in truth, one aspect of a business magnate is the opposite of humility, it's an ego. That's a hard thing to get rid of having. I believe in this context, I need to place myself in the hands of mortals who I do trust and who trust me ― but who know to not idolize me-

-a few names come to mind. Kika, and Anyah, and Erissa ... among others.

But no, right now I should manage my realm to make it more prosperous. Arrange inner rooms of the Residence, peek into Garden and Workshop options, maybe even see what else I can buy or upgrade, get a few items from the shopping list-

First thing first. One of the oddities I noted in rebuilding all of this, my Approach to the Deity has an official 'slot' for something, beneath its surface. Underground. Something could fit inside the slot, but I'm not sure what it should be. No doubt Ton Demo would know ... or does Luria?

"Hey, Luria ... I see an unused slot beneath the Approach-"

"-yes! Oh Master, my core schematic indicates this was meant as a point for the realm system components ― the system which provides me plus my integral aspects ― to enlarge. But I don't know how to move there, Gabi did not know, so unless you can find more than an owner's manual for the realm-"

"-how about, the former realm system designer and engineer?"

"Yes please! Master. It would be most efficient for our joint progress, and plus we could further limit access to the systems room to the absolute minimum-"


At once I am decided, and Luria did not have to say more than this ― the Approach to the Deity room structure should be used as the host for my System Controls room. No longer should the realm be besieged by intruders who wish to take from this place. I have to find this Ton Demo ― and soon.

To do this, I need to acquire and place the shopping space access as a room within my residence.

To do this, I also need to first rearrange the Residence layout and room placement to allow travel.

Then and only then can I place the way for me into the shopping space, and then find a way to travel into wherever I should find the man.

Initially, this residence structure is just a twelve meter wide (west/east) by six meter deep (north/south) floor plan. Its layout was three columns from west to east, and two rows, one on a north wall and one on a south wall. Six rooms with equal sizes; four meters east/west but three meters north/south. Or, twelve square meters per room. The interior of this Residence held no 'walls' or barriers from seeing across from one end to the other; I've seen from the bedroom straight through to the kitchen, or even from kitchen to bath. So could any other inhabitant, but an upgrade may prevent this going forward.

In this reboot, it's the same west/east width but now it's twice its 'depth' ― the distance from north to south is the same as the west to east width. This makes each inner room still 4 meters wide but now 6 meters deep, or 24 m². It's a spacious layout, but excessive for most rooms. Before, each room had no interior walls. Now though, stone columns at each room corner, with curtains spanning each, section the rooms. One could still get from room to room, but the curtain did give a faint sense of privacy extended to the inhabitants. Each curtain had a different look, a faded color indicating I still have a great amount of upgrades and improvements to do, but felt sturdy enough to not tear yet.

The room which uses the new size to best effect is the kitchen; each square meter of floor space is used to best effect of counter space and cooking or preparation surfaces. I see in my purchase options I can obtain a separate dining room with a larger table and better chairs. I should do this; but ... I should also change the layout to be 4x4, not 3x2. Each room will be only 3x3, or 9 m², then. Hmm ... reform it ... select here, purchase ― then drag and drop, with a laugh from remembering Kika worrying over dragons dropping in ― and ... a last move and confirm, and done. It went easier than I thought; all edits should be so easy-

-okay one last choice, my personal whim ― I pick a parlor with a fireplace and two comfortable padded chairs. It's not splurging or going to an excess; it's needed okay!

Now it's configured in a fresh layout. Four rows of four columns of inner rooms.

  • 1st row from west to east: kitchen, dining, bathroom, parlor.
    2nd row from west to east: shopping, library, lounge, empty.
    3rd row from west to east: empty, empty, empty, empty.
    4th row from west to east: system control, empty/entry, empty, bedroom.

Only the fourth row mid left 'empty' room has my connection to the Approach to the Deity, for the sake of sanity right now. I know now nobody entering can see straight into my bedroom unless I leave the curtains from there to here pulled aside. At least when I later grow this structure, I can add proper walls to further block the view; but for now, it's okay.

Also it's important to note, the original layout holds five of the six room slots with rooms; and now it holds eight of sixteen rooms. I had bought the lounge access on a previous day, and this moment had bought the dining room and parlor. Okay add the ninth, a shopping space. That's already over half the total number of rooms, and when I see a need, I'll have some room to fill it.

Now. Where is Ton Demo-

Message Ku? Would she know? Okay then I'll dare it.

<David> Hey Ku. I got the shopping space access and I'm ready to set off to find Ton Demo. Any hints or clues as to how to find him?

I waited a moment, a minute more, and then a reply came in.

<KuddlyKu> Yeah love. I know exactly where he is but you should try the search function in the room.
<KuddlyKu> It's part of your exploring and using what's available to you.

... seriously. Well okay she's right, but ... even on Earth I wanted an immediate answer for questions asked. Old habits are hard to break, right.

<David> Then what about hints to his base conscience or any agenda or-
<KuddlyKu> Sorry hon, I'm busy at something but he's a nice guy, down on his luck even now, like you were when first arriving there.
<KuddlyKu> But do ask him if he remembers me ;-p

... um.

She, she ended with an emoji? A wink with a tongue stuck out?

Aah Ku-

Ok. Okay. Here goes-

"Luria, I'll be out for a bit. Hopefully I can find Ton Demo the system engineer, and return with him to guide me."

"Good luck, Master. Also beware peddlers who are down on their luck gods and demigods, from taking advantage of you-"


Less than ten minutes later, I found myself within the shopping space. It turns out, a deity shopping space is like a super long street, or series of streets. Maybe a super large grid of streets; I'm not sure. The businesses which had their storefronts shown are just like the neon lighted streets of an old New York from elsewhere. I walk along and see ... far too much.

'So ... deities here have the same perversions, so it seems.'

Deities are no less infallible to virtues and vices, more the latter than the former ... if going by the offerings showing up and down the various streets. One of my vital purchases is a mapping system, to point out where I am or where I am going ― the course to my goal. The way to Ton Demo's shop, going by Ku's whispered directions while in the looting of my realm ― Ton Demo's Tech Shop, District Three, Lethe Street ― is still fairly far. I take note of the taxi like carriages ferrying various others across the dimension, and resolve myself to search for a taxi, and one going into this 'district three'.

"... hey ... anyone heading to District Three?" I call out, almost certain nobody will answer.

At once, I have an offer. The guy driving the car looks mostly like a bear/man; mostly a human, but with a fair amount of hair. What passes for a beard would make for a fine lion's mane if anyone were to ask me.

He leans out toward me, and calls, "You the guy looking for District Three?"

"Yeah, and to Lethe Street. A place called Ton Demo's Tech Shop. If you please."

His grin is genuine, and wide across his face. He seems assured he can get me there, to where I wish to go.

"Well get in, let's go!"

I hop in, glad to not have to drag around gear or other purchased luggage from other stores ... only myself. Aah; a wistful memory of Sera/AI, there. Before I get snug, this transport is already up to speed and slides into a merge lane. Inside the back seat, I see a placard reading, 'ALL EXPRESSION MUST BE VERBAL OR VISUAL, NO EXCEPTIONS'.

He notices my reading of the words, and answers the vague query. "Aah yeah, I blew out part of my empathic traits so ... yeah. We speak, for now. Sorry if it's an inconvenience."

"No bother for me, I only lately became a god so I have the same human verbal speech type anyway."

"Good, good, all's well then. Say, what brings you to find the tech shop then? If I can ask. New deities are not choosing the old realm systems he works on, you know-"

"Well good and bad news, the goddess' realm before me was failing, she selected me to basically, take over. She quit her world, and I'm working with the system left behind."

"Aah gotcha. It don't happen so often but it's not an unheard of thing. Well you should have no worries once arriving, you're in good hands then."

"I believe so. At least I'll take the advice to find Ton Demo seriously."

"Oh? Advice is good; hopefully the person has and gave a good impression of, um-"

"Yes. It's why I'm going to the shop. I believe Ton Demo is the one I need to help me."

The car sped up, contiguous to the driver's big happy grin; but it's okay because somehow I don't feel adverse acceleration effects; I am calm and cool in this seat.

"... two minutes until we arrive ... sir-"

"-call me David."


No sooner has the taxi dropped me and sped off around a corner than I'm standing in front of this gritty storefront ― its fading unclean walls making me rethink all cause to come here. Surely I would not get or give some of my world's disease here, would I? Or does the 'shopping space' abstraction prevent some of this?

Inhale, exhale. Well ... at best Ton is a fellow admirer in systems and engineering results; at worst, it's just a fellow deity who worked on the system, right? He's hopefully a technician at heart ... just like I was ... right?

Reach, pull door. Step in. Gape-

My cab driver was-

"Aha! It was me, all along! Ton Demo!"1... I may have borrowed the line from somewhere-

"... eh ... oh-"

"Sorry about this playful ruse, David. I couldn't refuse the opportunity to hold out on telling you. Well business is slow, and so to pay the bills I gaslight as a cabbie. But. What can I do for you?"

I collect my wits slowly, and redirect my logic to dealing with this man.

"Yes ... well along with what I said ― the goddess quitting her world, and me being tossed the right ― or necessity now ― to 'fix it' ― I'm at a loss on one aspect. I see how below the Approach to the Deity there's an empty slot-"

His eyes lit up. "Hey! You know what ― when I built the core room I made it so its System Control could fit there, out of reach of any but its owner and select few. Of course the board members didn't like the thought more souls could not have access to it when necessary. But knowing the future might leave a need, I left it in as a choice, a spare slot, but due to some selective board members ... it could not be the default."

"Yeah. This is what I wondered. I have a technical background too, from Earth, so I was just wondering ― how to do it right."

"And naturally this led you here."

"Yes, can you do it?"

4