20: A harsh way to get redemption-
114 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I sigh.

"... alright. Luria, cancel the intrusion alert, trust this guy. He is Ton Demo, the one I went earlier to find. He's the one who I questioned about how to put your system control center into the slot under the Approach here. But Ton, I would like to know too, since the size of room inside the Residence is a fraction of the size of the Approach, what size will be the resulting structure?"

"Ah that's the good point," Ton said, feeling grateful I'm not thinking him to have a criminal intent. "The size has some constraints I put in myself when designing the system. It's rated by your Approach room size. You'll get twenty meters free per side; for up to the first one hundred meters of length or width, the system core room will be ninety percent of the size. Thereafter, the remaining size over the first one hundred meters, the system core expands ten percent of this added width. It's all simple ― up to ninety meters for the Approach room's first hundred, and up to ninety more meters for up to nine hundred meters."

I held my breath, to consider what this meant.

"But also, your Approach to the Deity room can only expand up to one kilometer on a side. Yet in total, this system core can then grow up to two hundred meters to a side. And trust me; even at half this size, you become a superpower among deities."

Every time I did something to improve my realm, I did feel like the system control space in the Residence lift its utility, to build a better level of its action. Ton nods as if following my thought-

"Yes, that. David I'm glad to see you realize this ― I once told our friend Ku, a fully upgraded system would never allow a realm to face a siege; it could block and capture the entrants before they even take a step or a breath. It's different than how you may have got a screen when mortals come to the realm as a Champion ― the only way for a fellow deity to come in, is by your permission, or by use of a siege system. Unfortunately in my attempt against my corp board members, this siege system is one of my creations; and due to my debt, I also sold this siege system into the public. Trust me, a day does not go by I rue this deed; I cannot go back in time to undo it. It just is."

"... oh. That's ― harsh. A harsh way to get redemption."

"But! Since I developed the siege system, I have setup defenses against my own system; and I'd be glad if only young deities looking for fast food and resources would stop buying my old siege systems. It's also ... one reason of Ku ... leaving."

This much still is so much to take in. I get now a sense of why Ton Demo feels a need to act as he has, and is. I'm only reacting to this, but I feel like Ton is at the helm of something I can only in this time be amazed is going to happen.

My turn to say something now. "Okay then ... I'm still taking in worship mana in this quantity; will what comes in while the transfer happens go free? I have a feeling at a certain point in time ahead of now, I'll need every drop of DP for future expansion I can get. How does it work?"

"You are fine there too. A system buffer takes over during this time. Relax; I've got it covered for you; I won't leave you in a weakened state, or let even one DP slip out of your hands. In fact ... can we form an alliance?"

... alliance?

"Alliance?"

"Yeah. An alliance."

... how.

"How?"

"... eh stop that." He grimaces but went on. "This alliance is in short me giving you twenty percent controlling stock from the corporation I hold the leash for operation but cannot run; as business goes forth, development of the system too. I would then own sixty nine percent, with eleven percent owned by just one holdout, former corp officer ― Carine Dara."

I not only grimace, I growl. Carine! What the hell-

"Aha! Yeah I know; she's a handful, don't you know. Only one who seems to have a handle on her, is ... her husband, Dio. He and I used to be friends, but ... we both went after the same woman and I lost. Get hold of him so you can get him on your side. You can buy the remaining eleven percent of corp stock, if she'll sell and if you have the credit. As long as you don't betray me or me you, we'll have a mutually beneficial pact."

"... I know Dio would like to have a good drink but unfortunately I don't have any to offer. Do you know where I can obtain something of sufficient quality-"

"Here." Ton extracts a bottle from his Inventory, and holds it toward me. "A bottle of Clenlevat, aged sixteen centuries. It's saved for ... well, meant for reopening ... the corp ― but consider it a gift, if you use it to have some chat with Dio of the Diamond Dirk."

That's a nickname which sounds like it has a story behind it; but I'll take the bottle and use it well.

"Thank you, Ton. I will do my part then, and meet with Dio later. Now, tell me more, about what changes in filling the slot-"


In short order, with Ton beaming a hopeful look all the time, I'm learning so much. Already for its size, since my Approach is two hundred meters on both length and width, the system core room will be 110 meters per side. This equals 12100 square meters for the whole new space.

The second thing about it, is in how as the new core room grows, its computational capacity grows in full proportion. To my past self, I could say it's like the way my parents tried to overclock a processor, way before such a thing was no longer needed. Or it's like expanding a desktop PC into a corporate server, with a more direct unfiltered connection to the worship mana well ... and a higher native 'clock time' in chronological management of system metrics.

Even in the Residence, as this room grew and the realm grew, so did the ability to handle all data and the world. Part of its early mess was a 'negative DP income' which I solved so fast; the rest was in how system agent Luria seemed so worn and broke by the things of the past. But as I worked with her, not against her, Luria 'grew' through our talk and acts. She needs this as much as do I. But the room growing to a larger size once moved will be so great.

Growing from the now three by three meter footprint, to the new 110 by 110 m²? Phenomenal. It's an undoable act (which I don't want to undo); it's going to expand all means of handling matters, and also give me a much more dense control room too, with room for more system helper agents. Well; the Questing system needs at least twenty beings but I want to double it ― I'll call forth forty total! Ton does not think it necessary but I have something in mind ― overlapping zones, so no loss of oversight is seen.

"Ready?" he asks.

"Yeah ... let's do it."

I cede control for now, knowing the mana well will still fill with worship mana coming to me, but filtering through Ton for a while. It's an inconvenience but I am fine with it. Luria bogs down in handling tasks for just a mere ten seconds, simultaneously building the new location and moving herself there, while also disassembling where she is, in the Residence. 'There can be only one' ... sounds like such a movie reference; but no less true in the ways Ton describes system operations. I bet it feels to Luria as it did for me, time stopped, to rebuild her existence atom by atom.

Ton leans in after she blinks out of the Residence, but before she can appear within the underground space, and whispers slyly ― "Plus since she still has her thought of building a physical body, this step just made it twice as easy."

Ton winks at me, suggesting Luria could be a possible 'partner' in one sense, if I wish to try her out-

Light flashes bright through where we are; first Ton vanishes, then I too vanish but ended up in a dark space next to Luria and Ton. It's as Ton described it, what he'd do to show me the new space, in phases.

"This is it. You should sense now the void space here beneath the mana well ... oh, about thirty meters down. Yes it does constrain the depth to which you could push the mana well depth; but even as you are now, it will be far more mana capacity than most deities get by this point. Enjoy your new space. First try going 'topside' and then come back here; I want you to get used to the new location; remember it. Later you should even set a lock and password for entry; though none but you or your key staff should know this location. As I promise with terms of our alliance, I will never siege you nor send anyone here except in mutual agreement. Except for a natural fact of it being made available for an upgrade to other users of my system, few may know of it anyway."

I do as he asks; go back to the Approach room top side, then back here ― still as dark as before. Along with the change, I sense an activation of something else in the system ― perhaps a new thing Ton activates in the brief span of time while I was out and back. Is it harmful? I do not think so; otherwise I'd feel threatened and want to attack Ton. This guy has been through so much, and maybe he just needs some fellow deity to believe in him, or what he can do. I'll do this ― I am already doing so; but I can take a wild guess at what happened here.

"I have a feeling you would like to make this realm and system the testbed for new features, and the delivery system for realm system updates."

"... indeed. The thing which just happened is network line back to my own realm, so I can work on things here, and upload them for, as you noted, distribution. David, you are eerily keen in your awareness; I have never met another deity of your sort. We'll be friends, right?"

"Sure." I pass him a thumbs up motion, which he copies but also with a raised eyebrow. "That means I think it a good deal. We're good. Partner-"

"Okay. Now, to finish the deal, we need to set the appearance of the system control room and controls. Since this realm will return to you in a short while, I shall allow you the opportunity of choosing how it looks."


As it turns out, my most familiar look and feel of a corporate server room was the real deal. Flooring of a cool but darker stone. As an added benefit, server hardware gave off a fair amount of heat, which diffuses through the ground above, giving my Approach and grounds above and connected structures some added warmth. Heat transfer through my realm by way of natural traits. Somehow the cost to add a Forest structure reduced by half, just by making the heat level so much more? Forests turn into tropical jungle like settings, right? Can I have this too?

But oddly enough, the look of the system control room, though the components were technical, the floor and ceiling still looked of stone. Albeit, stone warming by the second, absorbing the core heat and radiating to other places. I won't freeze here now, not at all. In fact it might be warm enough, I'll be looking to build more structures to dissipate the heat out to them so the grasses of the Approach do not begin to burn.

Lighting inside this space ... well the cheapest choice for now is ... dim torchlight. It gives this space a look of an ancient archive, a reliquary of sorts ― of burning oily rags. And in fact it is ― after a fashion. Luria also gains an absolute quality, with consoles spaced out and what looks like memory banks filling in the racks and walls in between. The torches do not produce smoke; but they do flicker with a simulate light ― a minor trickle cost, one DP per torch per diem. And since a torch gives enough light for ten meter radius, I just need to overlap the zones more effectively. Sixteen torch sconces, each with a torch, means I would pay sixteen DP per diem for the lighting alone ― except for a trait of being attached to the Approach room, it's half?

The actual layout of the new system control room is a perfect square, with compartments now, just like the Residence has inner rooms. The room being a whole one hundred ten meters to a side, it's enough. Even a fortieth of this is fine.

"Now look. In this new layout, you can choose long term goals to execute, as something like a dedicated processor and program. Luria can as she upgrades have up to four such effects, at the largest of this realm; one per ten thousand square meters. The rest of Luria's computational ability should remain generalized; however for this first selection, may I recommend you select this ― a Health Overwatch program?"

I read cautiously through an offered view presented before me. Even more scrutiny on the health of living beings, check. Selection of zones to triage on demand, check. Elimination and erasure of infected ones ... what the ... huh?

Ton speaks to my concern. "It's not something you'll be forced to use if you do not wish it; but the right to wipe out infected mortal beings might be something to keep on hold for a future day. The effects of disease control can be linked to the amount of worship mana received, either per community or per person. Anyway its presence can be a solemn reminder of the seriousness of the health concerns ― as if the pandemic was not still of vital concern. But a final note: if you do select it, you will first see it go into a state of ... 'kernel panic', so to speak-"

"-too much disease to overwatch, right? Yeah I get it."

"Yes. But it will normalize, within ... eh, three days maybe? Yeah I'd say three days. Maybe longer."

Too imprecise.

"That's too imprecise-"

"-that's all I can do, though. Even this guess is a fair limit, based upon other experiences. At least you should feel it too, your defense against infection has increased by another ten percent probability ― that's an effect how your realm and you synchronize."

I sigh, and consider ... what next.

"... and you know, David ― even going back to kiss Gabi again would not be danger-"

He means to infer me not to kiss Ku? Is this his game?

"-hold on there! Don't go assuming!"


After a moment of cooling off, Ton tells me the rest of the choices are more minor matters for now; he's done the majority of the transfer and setup and handling of realm affairs, for now. In fact, he's done too, and ready to leave. I shake his hand once more, to reaffirm 'no hard feelings' with my new business partner.

Where does he go? Back into the shopping space, his repair shop or some other residences? Scratch this; his shop had a look of a dingy dirty space, shared as a residence and shop, all in one. How many of his eleven centuries and more has he lived like this?

I, too, am ready to 'head out' and find something to do. But not back to Carine's, and not to my own mortal world just yet. So where? Aah ... to one of my other deity connections ... Petrina's place?

... well ... she did indicate, one of her newest summoned humans was ... who was it again? Someone from my past on Earth? Tonya Mannheim?

Yet I can do something else; I can have a chat with Dio. Ton gave me a bottle by which I could sweet talk Dio to 'encourage' Carine, to sell me the corporate stock.

Hmm; between deities, I'd rather finish the business with Dio first; then see Petrina. But I think I'll send Petrina a "heads up" note to inform her I'll be ready to visit in a short while. I do feel funny inviting myself to her place though. But it can't be here; I'd want to talk to Petrina, and see Tonya first in her natural place!

> "I feel funny asking this, but can I visit your realm soon? Your former mention of Tonya Mannheim remembering me has me intrigued.
> I believe she could help me in my own realm and world if she's not otherwise involved in matters there ― no pressure to accept, but if I could see her first I'd feel easier.
> Also I have a few things to do here first, so it's not an immediate trip. Sound okay?"

I get no immediate answer; unnerving but even I am aware now of a deity (like me) sometimes being in the middle of something, so eventually Petrina might be asleep or working or ero-

-or something. I won't pressure her; I said I won't, and so I won't. Instead, the next message is to Dio. Him, I would invite here; he came here once already so I know he's willing to come when invited.

> "Hi. I'm available for a more personal chat, if you wanted.
> I acquired a bottle of Clenlevat, aged something like sixteen centuries; not sure if this would interest you, but it's a start."

No immediate answer here, too. Something is going on in the deific realms? Am I missing something ― well since arriving here I've wondered if someone published a 'godly news' or something. It's a thing I should find out if it exists. Who knows; maybe I would be in print someday and not know it.

One minute goes by; then five; then ten-

I'm starting to wonder ― in Ton's change of ownership of this realm, did I somehow ... get 'bumped off' the normal deific lines of communication? I guess I should be thankful I don't have to pay any 'phone bills' like I did on Earth; but I sense how horrible it could be if I could no longer call outside of here ― much less leave or invite people over.

That would be harsh. For one, my first obligation outside of here is ... to have concern what happens to Gabianna Rainforest ... I guess. She's recuperating, and then maybe she will decide whether to return or not. To be fair and honest, it might be both good and bad if she comes here. Her treatment of Luria in the past is one side; her downward spiral to misdeed was another.

For another, my second obligation will be ... for some time to come ... to repay Ku with the stone. I have the feeling I should be thankful she was so capable of loaning so many tons of stone ― or do most deities already have this much materials laying around? I get the impression, no, not likely. So it makes what Ku did, feel even more special, personal. I should begin attempting to purify some stone, and soon. But how? The deific market did show some worlds for sale ― some marked abandoned, rejected, broken ... and those are the normal ones. The easy thought is, buy an abandoned world though somehow workable, and transfer some stone here to mold and shape to my own essence. Time to open the window again?

... some of these names I see are actually names from the lingering orbs of essence, from those deities marked deceased or incarcerated. I could actually pour these orbs back into the realms where they'd do the most good, if the previous owners were still alive. And ... who knows? Since Dio and Ku had told me of the reboot process ... I could in turn then acquire whole new worlds, new realms, et cetera-

"Luria, I'm looking at purchasing some of the abandoned worlds in the shopping screen right now. It might help in shuffling people and items between places, and triage of the infected, if necessary."

"Yes, master, it would assist in this regard; and it could allow even more possibilities ― I would recommend it."

She leaves unsaid which possibilities; but I'm not asking.

Okay, I've got the DP ... I can buy ... eight. I'll buy no more than these eight abandoned, derelict, destroyed, rejected, or otherwise lifeless worlds. The next problem is portal objects exist now in my inventory but they cannot be placed outside of a personal room in the Residence which ... I don't have. And in the shopping screen ... said room is now ... gulp ... just above the price of what I've got in the well-

-no wait. Those totems in the world, they're still storing a majority of my worship mana. I just have to adjust the transfer balance, and ... et voila. My mana well again looks so full. Purchase the room-


Inside the Residence, the Realm Interchange is just a room where realm transfer doors can get placed. Eight doors, four walls in the room, means two doors to a side. But each 'door' felt like objects larger than half the width of the three meter by three meter room slot. I would become trapped, amidst all the doors I have, if they even fit. Shaking my head though, I place a first one, leading to the realm/world where I could drop off the most essence; and it plops into place.

Shaking my head though, I place a second ... or attempt to do so. Instead of connecting to a second side, it is sucked towards the leading edge of the first door, which adjusts its width down to allow the second one beside it.

Cool effect, nice to know I get an economy of scale effect for it.

And on down the line. Six portals, on three walls of this room. The problem is, I cannot know if I'll have a way out ... if I place the eighth realm portal; they do fit pretty snug, and I haven't tried to move them after they have been placed. The only other solution would be to enlarge the Residence to its maximum size-

-which I can and should do, now that I'm still getting so much worship mana coming to me. Again grab all the worship mana, transfer to the well ... and upgrade the Residence structure, all in one go. With the four by four room layout, that means each room is then five meters by five meters; and the doors shift into each corner. Fine; I can place the eighth door, and still have room to squeeze out.

About to step through the first door ― Petrina responds now. Inopportune time; but I'll answer. Audio only; sex noises in the background, someone panting ... vigorous sounds.

"Uh ... no today is not really a good day! But I do want to see you too, and so does Tonya here-"

"-m, mistress! -hnn, ha, ha- D, don't say-"

"Haha well Tonya finish up with him, and then you can go see your-"

"Mistress please no! Not while I- hnn, hnn, aaaaah!"

This is, without a doubt, the weirdest call I have ever ... ever ... ever, received. I think the disease which is in my world is also in her world; so it's already time to cut short this conversation-

"It's okay, Petrina. But now I should recommend you to see Carine specifically. It will be worth it to you in the long run-"

I'm trying to talk through hearing Tonya and some few others in some indecent acts, but it's distracting. More so in how that could have been me, by this point in time. Also I know I'd be in danger of catching something if I were to go there.

"-okay hon, bye!"

-click-

... sigh.

Well Tonya does remember me, and probably somewhat interestedly, maybe Petrina also has been teasing her about the tie to me?

... what-

I'm not anything, to Tonya. At least I never thought. But anyway it's a moot point. If Petrina's and other realms are indeed so infected ― hearing the erotic stuff ― both her and Dio's late or absent reply is worrying. What if this thing is far larger than I would know? What if it extends through large swaths of the deific realms, by now?

... well then not only Carine and Ku and Dio would be busy, I'd find far too many of my recently new contacts, out of contact. Gods or goddesses, they could still be busy ― either to heal or purify themselves or their realms.


I've delayed long enough, seeing the result of a second video. Aside from the new surge of worship mana which is subtly streaming in now, which is good, I don't have any idea of the metrics, which I formerly wanted for my business meetings.

I have a feeling the Health Overwatch is the only thing to add now, and let it go through the 'kernel panic' as Ton Demo called it. Except ... opening the screen, I see my only options in the new system control space are thus limited ― I ceded control to Ton, for a valid reason. I can't add the Health Overwatch program. Anyway this special program requires its own dedicated summoned minion.

Which leaves ― going through a door, applying the remnant essence into the realms, and taking control of the new/old realms and worlds. Kina and Kuba are names I know but have not met the persons; Pug and Bo who did raid me were two more; leaving a remaining four names yet to face. I make a wild guess; it's like how Gabi herself brought me here, then abandoned me. Her essence would remain but not get stronger; while I 'owned' the realm from then on. Her essence would never get stronger here even if I never rebooted the realm; but my own essence and those essences of other past guests would abut to hers and go no further until I had rebooted it. In the same way, my taking ownership of the eight realms, I could 'return' the essence to them and they would be fine; but my own 'essence pressure' would be the latter part of it.

First door is Bo's realm. The young goddess who might be a single mother of some children; Ku might dislike me having anything to do with this, or she might not care either way now. I guess Ku is both right and wrong. It's a once pretty place but has fallen on hard times. The Approach to the Deity room here is ... a stark contrast even to what Gabi left me holding. Light level low or failing; ground hard but with sparse tufts of weedy grasses; the worship mana well in place but cracked; and ... no hint of other structures. None. No Residence; no Prairie or Forest or Workshop. But a latent pattern for a Great Library exists, something Bo had but stored or let go lax from inability to maintain. In short; I'm seeing a realm in collapse, just like Gabi's, before she gave in and had Luria send for me.

Holding one of the essence orbs, I note a faint line around it, like a hem or a threaded lid. With a twist, the orb itself comes apart, and the soul essence of Bo flies into the Approach and to the worship mana well. No; no seen layer of DP; but inside I take note of a good third of the cracks and broken bricks pull together, from the bottom up. It's something, some small repair; but as this realm does not have a system control space either, it's a moot point to check for a system agent. At best, if enough worship mana were recovered, or I manage to reboot this realm too, then ... things can be brought back into operation. At least I presume an existence of a system control might be inside of the Great Library, if nothing else. All I've done now is offset some of the disintegration, delayed the destruction of the realm and attached world, until I can reboot it.

Second, I'll try ... Kina's realm. Her realm actually does look nice, and serene ― but I sense an overwhelming sense of solitary misery. Almost like a match to the misery of Gabi's former boy toy Dhareff. And it would explain how Gabi met and interacted with Kina, if Kina and Dhareff are in fact related. The Approach is already a mere fifty meters by thirty meters, hints of how Kina only thought to expand in different ways too. It does have a Residence block, and a Garden, but no Workshop or Prairie or Library. Inside the Residence I see a system control space but the agent is low resolution and also seems to be in an infinite loop. I'll be back ... to fix it later. But also I see more, a bedroom and bathroom and kitchen, as most all deities seem to have; but then too since the Residence layout is two by two, there's no room for more compartments.

Kina's realm also included a Lounge Access ... though from her own Solitude domain I will believe she rarely used it. Why have it then? I'm not sure at all; I'd have to ask her somehow. Which means, asking through Ku-

... in short order, I go through all eight of the realms, depositing the essence orbs and seeing what 'fix' this act caused. I get a sense the realms I purchased might not last much longer, either. At most I've extended their fading from existence to a round month, at the earliest, or a year plus at the most. Still time to do something. But for it, I get some sense of metrics.

Seven of them have an Approach; the one which did not had me arrive within a blank or dark space, much like how I arrived before Gabi. Five of them have a Residence block; each have the same minimal bath, bed, and kitchen minimums, and each also have at least one thing the others didn't, to make personal preference. Three of them already have a Library of some kind; two of the libraries are Great tier while Bo's is Lesser, and each have their unique traits. Three of them also have an external Lounge Access structure while two more have Lounge Access rooms within the Residence. Two of them have a combo brewery/bar structure for plausible brewing and consumption of beverages; while three have the same, as an interior room in the Residence. One has a machinery repair shop-

-hey. The last one there, is closest to my own ideas of a robotics parts foundry, a place where cybernetic and robotic pieces could be made, and then assembled as a whole. Not exact as I had; but it's a start.

I've divested myself from holding onto so many little essence orbs, and also in the process obtained possible secondary income. As a plus, since the doors to them are here in 'my' main realm, those others will be subjugate. It means they cannot exceed the main realm's advancement; but they also get something small in the way of ambient support, just from being linked back here. It's a process ... almost.

-ring-

"Hello Dio-"

"-what are you doing, son? You've been buying up questionable realms, and ... what are you doing with them?"

"... well see, that's part of what I wanted to talk about. Nothing illegitimate, at least I don't know if rules exist on purchasing other realms; but it's part of an improvement plan, you could call it. Actually it's Carine who got me started on the idea-"

"-stop. I'll be to your realm ... wait what, why does it say ... say. Has your realm been recently taken over, and that's why you bought others?"

"No, not maliciously taken over; but ... it's good. Come, and we can talk it over. I have some things to tell ... I'd rather you not read it outright but allow me to tell it my way-"

"... give me a few minutes, okay."


Ten minutes later, Dio is pinging me again with a request for entry. I accept, but stand back at his hard looks.

"Why did it have to be Ton Demo?"

I pause from any answer at first, wondering where he's going with this. For one, I'm shocked if Ton's name alone would be tainted, then why did Ku so easily drop all the hints? For a second reason, if Dio and Carine had any issues with Ton, then of course any discussion after this would be similarly, tainted. Which leaves only hearing Dio's logic.

"I've met him, and discussed the issues. It's possible you misjudge-"

Dio rushed at me, shoving me all the way back to the boundary wall where I stood. My back hit hard against the rigid wall of force, with Dio's arm across my neck ― it hurts, just as much as in real life.

"Don't give me that! He's part of a plot to discredit all other systems manufacturers!"

"I don't believe that! He is talking sincere-" I choke out through the throat pressure. "-I believe ... he's ... true-"

Dio held his arm tight to my throat a time more, then in disgust eased off. I shook with lingering shock, relieved but worried. My thoughts must be flowing like wild; but Dio only sighed, smiled, then rustled the hair on my head.

"Okay, let's have that drink. I have the feeling you're wrong; but then ... I haven't talked to Ton in like ... seven decades or so. Family issues, you know-"

I chuckle soft, then cut it, as maybe it's a little too close to home in his mind for me to laugh at it.

Dio turns around, watching the progress I've started and will continue. "I like what you've done with it. It's ... impressive."

"... thanks to you and Ku for the guidance before ... and thanks to Ton, for some recent part."

That's the only retort I'll make. Thankfully, Dio lets this one slide.

Inside the Residence, we amble to the new parlor; in the new 4x4 layout, its in the northeast most corner, where the bedroom sat before. I run through idle chatter first, telling of the improvements in general, which he can see-

"-David. Come on, let's sit and chat. And while you're at it ... the Clenlevat if you will?"

I nod, dash first to the kitchen corner, return with two glasses ― not proper tumblers but they will do ― and sit down as I extract the bottle. Dio's eyes light up, as if surprised I truly did have the bottle.

"Since you are my guest, would you like to open and pour? Eh ... whatever is customary-"

He chuckles, and accepts the bottle, reading its label. "... a good year, I think we'll be satisfied ― must have cost quite a bit to obtain-"

In one swift motion, Dio pops the cork, allowing the pungent scent of the liquid to suffuse in the room; liquor vapors which told the strength of the fluid within the bottle, were ... exhilarating. Dio also took a fair whiff and sighs.

"Yeah, you could say. But I felt by my honor I'd need at least this much, to make things fair and right."

At the small table between us, Dio pours ― I hear the 'glug, glug, glug' of the liquid being poured to the two cups. At last, Dio hands one to me, and we incline glasses to clink on each other.

"Don't forget, David, I did say it's okay if you and Ku are together. But first ― a toast. 'To friends long past, to friends now here, and to friends yet to meet, may we always be one'. Drink up, David."

I tilt the glass, and sip tentatively at the smooth fluid. My eyes go wild, in surprise at how quick the effect-

"Ha ha, yeah it sneaks up on ya, especially to a first timer, like you. Watch out on the hangover or you will be in a trap. Now, what do you have to say? And yes, I won't read you, I'll let you say."

"So smooth, I don't know how to start in describing it. Sweet. And thanks for the warning." One second sip, then I set this glass aside for a moment, and lean forward, a passive aggressive mode of 'talk'. "Dio. It wasn't about my relationship with Ku, so much as the overall matters of ... well ... is something wrong with the relationship between you and Carine and Ku?"

"No more than usual but that's not your concern, son. Anyway, Ku is only the youngest of our seventeen children so any 'major issues' should be worked out. But, go on."

"It only feels odd to me, how I got hints of how Carine knew of this realm reboot issue but didn't want to say and might want to refuse helping Gabi if I went through with it. I still have a concern if Gabi is doing alright now, but I can hope she knows her own duties. Ku may have her own issues from the work she's done; whatever censure aside, she's struggling to hold on. Honestly her taking a break from the work might allow her to reset and recharge her inner essence; but I do sense she feels a need to hold on. Then above this even is the larger issue of the illness, a pandemic not limited to this world or others ― I talked to a young goddess named Petrina a short while ago but wonder if her world is also where Gabi's was, before this. Then too ... all these things became a point to which I needed to follow through on a hint Ku left here-"

Dio sets his glass down, and his eyes seems to go ... fuzzy. Or, unfocused. Is he drunk, already? I'll have to hope, he's not the mean drunk kind, or ... a challenge might be required. And I know what a challenge to the red cape would mean, now, don't I.

I continue, hoping to clear things up. "So ... Ku said ... about my realm and the system control and the ... all of it. A fully upgraded realm and system control would not allow further raids; no other deities can raid my realm. I sought out Ton Demo and asked him about this and another thing. By which he said outright how it would take longer to explain the intricacies than to just let him come and perform it. He told me the truth as he knows and sees it; and I believe him. Yes I did allow him to take temporary ownership here. But he assures me it's all for the greater good. It's meant to benefit him, and me, and other users of his former corp's realm systems ― it's a win-win, if he can restart the corp, and restart his systems development."

"... that's it?"

"Nothing more than this, as a major goal; nothing malicious intended. Just for him to get back to what he loved doing."

Dio listened to all this, sitting silent and calm, mulling over what to say. I too am cautious, sitting back in the chair now and waiting, taking my glass for a second sip- oh this hits hard but smooth, even still. Barely a burn in the mouth and throat; but once hitting the stomach ― fire in the belly. I feel ... warm. I bet, so does Dio.

"Let me tell you what Carine is saying. I can't say all of it because that's divulging privileged information. But I will say what she's said in public, other places and times; this wouldn't be breaking a confidence." He cleared his throat, took another swallow, and exhales. "Wonderful stuff. But anyway. This first part is confirmable by public record and news reports. PegaSystem Corp as a corporate stock venture had nine board members: a president, a vice president, and seven other officers. Carine was one of the seven, focusing on keeping a balance of the owners' and resident entities' health status; Ton was as you know handling the overall coding and building. Carine and Ton not only disagreed often, they agreed as many times ― on public record."

"So it's not adversarial? Or at least not at first?"

"No; I knew both of them since ... well Ton liked Carine first but she chose me. And plus, they worked together ― generally well. This continued until two of the remaining corp officers died under suspicious circumstances, and one vanished too ― all within a span of three days, from start to end. It seems someone else then might have been aiming to start a fight within the boardroom milieu ― PegaSystem had enemies even outside of its own members. At one time, I even temped at one such foe ... but got tired of their mismanagement too."

Dio paused to pour more drink to his cup, and after I incline my own, he fills my cup too.

"Now. This is ... things which Carine said or inferred in public; but still take it with a grain of salt. While publicly the last order of the board was to not speak out on its break, she has told an interesting few bits. A rival corp named Star Dott Systems also had a rivalry based on ideological direction of ... get this ... structure upgrade paths, and facility inclusion based upon templates only and not what realm owners need."

I gape. Such idiocy?

"Yeah ... that. So Carine was fine with 'friendly competition' as she knew many of her counterparts in other corporations; but also she had a mindset of her own, and sometimes told it so vocally too. Ton may have told how he was 'blocked' from developing his features, but even in public he admitted some of her ideas were sound. Carine too knew moving the control area into the Approach room would keep it tied to the well and management of DP resources easier ― but had the idea the slot under the Approach room's well was too insular. A realm owner could hide away there, obstructing all visitors, even corp officers who might need to oversee the end results. For Carine it's only about being able to enter or leave as needed but only for the purpose of triage and extraction of any realm owner incapacitated. It's not widely known but ― some early PegaSystem realm models had the chance to malfunction, injuring the realm owner or operator."

"So ... Carine is just thinking about the pragmatic needs of health support and all that?"

"Yes. Whereas she believes Ton to be far too progressive, too much grabbing for obtaining the lead over other realm systems developers ― she's bragged even before the bankrupt event that Ton would cause instability in the realms initiated. To her mind, Ton's way is ... excessive."

4