03: Luria gave me a mission I cannot refuse!
1.7k 20 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The salad greens are about sliced and diced as I prefer them. But all this talk of foods and with me preparing the greens right here, I let my mind slip back to the other rooms to add.

"Hmm. Well I did see the way to add a pasture field to be connected to this deity's space, which could provide for a renewable meat source. A thing to add, once finding a source of animals to bring here-"

"Master," Luria said, "If you add a pasture, a small number of common creatures are also formed. Would this be something you desire?"

"Yes but I also would like to know what creatures, in what amounts. What size of a pasture, and how many animals it could hold."

"Master. A pasture fills a square of land, a half kilometer per side, and can hold twenty some animals for pasturage but often starts with only half its capacity created. The first expansion of this may enlarged it up to a full kilometer square land area, and will require two attendants instead of one. The default animal distribution is normally two cattle, two deer, four sheep, four goats, and assorted smaller creatures. Note that by volume, 'small' creatures often count up as, 'two sheep equal one deer' or so on. Each species of animal, and each individual animal, might have its own racial requirements for the space it inhabits."

"Also I saw a space for a forest, something like where I found Kika and her tribe-"

The green girl's face lit up, completely opposite to her recent glower at the size issues here.

"A place I can hunt?"

"... Luria?"

"Yes master. Both you and your companions could enter and explore. While a forest would be no larger than the pasture area, and while it expands only to the same size as a pasture is, such an area is for deity use as a primary facility. It provides a natural habitat for creatures in the mortal world you wish to not go extinct, as well as a place for wilder vegetation, and the replenishment of breathable air within the whole deity domain. Plus in the long term, wood can be harvested slowly, to provide only the best for lumber, for 'internal use', or for trading or gifting to mortals. Note that 'hunting' is only a function of what you would allow to be hunted ... as mentioned before, to preserve certain animals from going extinct."

"Oh." With the last few chops and a scraping of ingredients together, I hand one bowl to Kika, and then take the other and sit next to her. "It's only a simple salad, but I used to eat this quite often, so it's one thing I can prepare well. Eat what you can, and we'll see to something more later."

I go for my salad fork, but honestly Kika is about halfway through with her portion. She eats, ever so fast; as if her life were in danger if she should hold back from eating. Hmm; maybe it's more a goblin psychology which seems alien to me.


"Want to meet the third greatest fan of Gabi?"

"Hmm, okay David. Though if it is another female, I will feel like leaving."

I suppose she would; it might not have been so fun for her, while I was ... entertained by Samiel.

... anyway ― I don't need another sexual encounter just now. I feel good enough right now, and I am more or less eager to see a new face too.

"Okay then. Luria-"

"Understood, master. The third in line, in order of worship given, is now selected. Ready to transport-"

"Wait, first who is it?"

"Master. The one being mentioned is on the opposite side of the world from where you met both Kika and Samiel. He is by race an incubus, a male creature who former mistress sought out to-"

"-yeah okay I get it. Gabi played with him, in intimate fashion."

"-but also master, this male had concern for her well-being aside from the times they were together. Former mistress knew of his compassion but could not bring herself to return the feelings. The most she was to offer him was to bring him some foods he liked when she would visit, as his area of residence is in a dangerous place."

"Then ... if we have enough deity points, can you also make some of the same things so I can take them to him?"

"Yes master. They will be behind you when you arrive."

"... I am ready then. Kika?"

"... me too David."


The place he and Kika appeared is near a forest path ― almost completely obscured from anything except a faint sliver from the one moon seen high overhead. Even this light got filtered through cloudy skies. A person could normally see here only if they had some torch or handheld object to produce light.

Directly in front of Kika and I, we see a log cabin which is apparently the home of the incubus. Odd to see this 'cabin in the woods' type of theme; but since it's a 'medieval fantasy world' ... why should it surprise me at a detail like this? I look to Kika and in the faded light she seems to shrug, only indicating she did not know what to do.

No light coming from anywhere else; not even from inside the cabin. And I realize why; it's the pitch darkness of night, likely midnight from the sense of things.

I reach out and tap the door. No answer. I tap again, a gentle knock on the hard woods of the door, and hear a faint thump from inside.

"Yeah, yeah, who is it."

"An acquaintance of Gabi."

Another rushed thump, maybe an indication of the occupant struggling to scramble with some clothes and maybe failing to struggle as expected. And then in another forty seconds, the door eased open a partial slot, the man's hand holding a candle. He sees me standing to the left of Kika, and he sees Kika the little goblin girl, both of us looking at him in pained patience of the cool evening.

"Yeah so, why isn't Gabi here herself?"

"... something happened. Gabi is ... nowhere to be found, but I came searching for her friends and followers."

The youthful man's face scowled for a brief moment, then he opened the door slightly; wider.

"Also I brought some foods, what was mentioned you liked and that Gabi would bring to you."

Me, Kika, and the incubus looked back on the ground, and saw the platter of foods sitting right on the forest path, right behind us.

I am embarrassed.

"Um ... I did not know it would appear like this-"

"... it's okay. It's the thought that counts, right? Well bring it in, anyway, and come in."

I bent to the task of lifting the tray, and Kika followed me inside as well. The incubus pointed to the kitchen area, and I set the whole thing down on the counter.

The incubus, clearly still groggy, merely motioned then for us to take up seats. He wiped his hands over his face, trying to wake up more.

"My name is David, and this is Kika."

"I'm Elison. Now, what about Gabi?"

I sigh; this can go one of two ways ― mainly. Either he will accept this as true, or he will not. His reaction in either case, is another matter.

"It is a long story, so I will cut straight to the point. Lately she got into a state of ... well, what in the deity realm is called 'negative DP income'. It means, it came to the point of costing her more just to live here than she was getting in worship from everyone in the world. So ... she gave up. She decided to leave this world ... and so she summoned me, to be its new deity."

Elison stared hard for nearly a minute, putting together the thoughts necessary to process this.

At last he spoke. "And so, you're here to tell me ... what, I'm someone she could not tell this, herself? She left a message after the fact?"

"... no, not that I am aware, anyway. I myself, trying to find out what went wrong too, have been on a quest to find her followers ― as I said."

"And I'm the one who gives the most?"

"N, no, sorry; Kika here gives the most worship; first to Gabi, and now to me."

"... and ... then I'm second?"

I sigh. This is going to take some doing.

"Sadly ... no. The second, is a dungeon mistress, a lamia on the other side of this world."

"Am I at least better than fifth!" the incubus spat, in a rare display of anger.

"Yes, you are giving the third most amount of worship. And you are the third person I sought to find, too-"

"So you're just here to steal away my worship from Gabi? Get out!"

"... no I'm not here to steal anything. But I do need your help-"

"Get out."

I look at Kika, and she and I rise to head toward the door.

At the door, as a final thought, I pause.

"I am trying to find out what happened ― or failing this, to find her directly. I cannot do this without help from her followers, which she meant for me to take as my own. It's just as distressing to me as it is to you. And I would like to see this world-"

"... just, leave me be, for a few days. Don't come back until I have a chance to process this."

"... okay."


Kika and I are again outside, in the dark of the night. Kika is sniffing all around the cool air, and noting everything she can sense.

"Smell goblin campfire, nearby."

"... what, you want to know others of your kind?"

"Sort of. But not so much that I have to go. You are my tribe, David. I go where you say I go."

"... eh, well, we can come back some other day, but right now I'm ready to return to the deity space."

"Okay, me too."

"... it would have been easier, if Gabi did not leave her world or her people, like this-"

The door behind them creaked a bit, indicating this resident was still observant of their presence.

"Wait."

I turned back to him. "... yeah? What is it?"

The door opened further.

"I know of that goblin tribe, she speaks of. So the fact you don't want to just go and demolish them, says you are more open to others than I thought you might. I even thought you just brought this Kika, because you had enslaved her. Well you still might have; but-"

"I haven't. She has free will; but she's using it to be with me."

"Good to know. Eh, come back inside a moment, it's cold out there."


Once again with the three of us inside, Elison poured each of us cups of some brewed tea. Even cooled, the tea tasted delicious ― not a sweetened variety, as maybe this guy didn't know about sugar or sweetener, but even so, it was good. Kika also drank it down, with thirsty gulps.

"I truly am sorry, Elison, that I could not have been the bearer of happier news. It's been hard enough, for me to figure out what went wrong, and-"

"Stop." Elison held up a hand briefly, to indicate he wasn't wanting a lecture or lesson. "It's a headache for all of us, or maybe will be in the coming days. I dunno, what's it like for other worlds who lose a deity? Do you know?"

"No, not really; this is so new; but I think I have a way to find out. Anyway I don't know much about this land yet, but since you were the third in line for worshipping her, I'd thought you would be concerned too, for the state of this world."

"I am. But it's something that I feel is ... beyond me, to affect. Or at least, if you have a clear idea of something I can do, then I'll consider helping. I'm not ready to switch allegiances, from her to you ― not yet anyway."

"If I can say so, to me it's all a semantic issue. Gabi gave the right to receive the worship to me, she doesn't want or need it. Any worship given to her gets filtered and sent back to me ― except in cases like Kika here, who I meet personally and then gain her as a direct worshipper. Such worship from Kika does not then go to Gabi but to me directly ... or so I gather. Again it's not to 'steal' worship but to rightfully build up the worship amount to a point where I can legitimately do the things Gabi should have done, would have done, if she had the chance."

"Okay that I can understand. I .. still don't think it's fair; but at least now I can tell you I won't obstruct your right to gain worship. Maybe in time we can even be friends."

"That would be fine, and maybe I have a way to invite you up to the deity space later, so you can see for yourself some of the things I'm working on fixing. Would that be okay with you?"

"... yeah. Maybe. I'm sort of in seclusion here ... I may have done something the others of my kind ... don't like."

I stared a bit, until realizing my look was uncomfortable to the man. "Uh, sorry; I just didn't understand. Well I'm sure you can explain it yourself, when you feel capable."

"... anyway. Stay a few minutes, David. Tell me of your experiences, starting out as a deity."


A couple hours later, Kika and I left ... so Elison could get at least a little more rest, before the sun would rise in this part of the world. Leaving the cabin, I called Luria to take us back there, and we disappeared from in front of Elison's cabin.

A few minutes later turning around in the kitchen and finally sitting down, with Kika waiting expectantly at my side, I sigh. "Okay. Now. Need something interesting to do for today-"

"Master, on this thought I do have a suggestion."

"... yes Luria?"

"Instead of visiting just one individual at a time, it may be more prudent to show yourself to a group of people, for more of what should be called 'mass appeal'. Even if Kika were to go with you, you can continue to present your case for protecting more people, in lieu of Gabi no longer being here. Plus as time passes, more and more people are going to expect Gabi to visit them, or even suspect something is wrong if she does not return. This is partly a 'quest' for you to improve your contact with the mortals, as well as 'request' from me to you, for the same thing. As for quest rewards, it should be self evident ― more followers, more regular worship mana, and more potential to continue your existence, and the existence of this whole world."

I stay seated, pleasantly surprised at this statement. While it is nice to know even Luria has a reason for continuing ― and knowing how close she may have come to being ended by Gabi's foolish nature ― I can only do as much as possible. Kika, I'm sure she would help, even if this puts her life in danger ... in fact I'm sure it will. Hmm. Time to go crafting in the workshop, make some defensive trinkets or accessories, and some more of those champion tokens ― and I might want to have a few extra on hand, in case I want to award some to others I come across.

"So, uh, Luria can give out quests-"

"Yes master. As part of a deeper system embedded into the controls of all deity realms, I am designed to also oversee the deity does not 'slack off' or avoid their position or obligation. I am also permitted, should a deity allow it, to grant additional quests or requests to any of the companions also allowed to be in this domain. Such actions will always be within an individual being's capabilities ― nothing can be assigned which may be impossible for a being to complete."

"This is good to know. And, for Kika ― what type of request might she obtain from you?"

"Master. No request has been selected for Kika, yet ― as you have been keeping her with you, as an attendant. As such, the system will speculate you are already controlling her progress through direct involvement; this system will not override your own attempts, unless it were not beneficial."

"... oh."

"David I can have a quest?"

"... if you wish. Yes. At some point I will be visiting other places on my own, anyway; but I do think it is something I should experience too of bringing you with me, at least for the first week or two, so people see me with other races at my side. I am not sure how violent some people or places might get, to see members of other races together; but I want to promote an equality among races, if possible."

"Master, this is also good. Former mistress Gabi did start with these ideals; but through becoming involved in one or more perversions, she started to think and act as if it did not matter if all are equal. This system can only request, and pray, for you to not fall into the same trap as the former mistress did."

To which, I can only nod ― my chin resting on my palm, elbows resting on the table ― while I ponder things.

"Then I think, I must do a little crafting. I want to make more of the Deity's Champion Tokens, if some can be made in advance. One for Kika, one for Samiel, one for Elison too, if he wants one. Plus I'll want to be able to invite a few people to not be strangers to me and my place here. A small number of them coming or going at random times might not hurt, and might help their and my morale. Then yes I do plan then to accept your request, but ― what place? How many people in one place?"

"... master. It is only a small number of individuals, so it is nothing to worry about; and if you are threatened you can simply retreat to here. By the time you complete crafting of the tokens, the necessary amount of people will be in the place where your appearance will make the best effect."

Playing coy and secretive?

"You are ... playing so coy and secretive?"

Yes. She is. But she didn't answer even this, so soon.

"Aah yes you are, Luria."

"... do you dislike my personality, master?"

No; kinda cute too.

"Um, well no, not so much. But I am surprised, or maybe not completely used to it. N, nothing is wrong with it."

Nothing is wrong with it, or with her ― if Luria is a her instead of an it. No; more like, something would be wrong with me, if I didn't like her.


Crafting the tokens went well; I now have a small stash of a dozen of them ― I probably will not be inviting this many, in just one day, will I-

"For my first follower ― Kika, my first Champion. Here is a Deity's Champion token, which I think you can pin on your vest or other clothing."

She takes the item, looks at the clasp meant to attach through fabric, and works out in her mind how it should go ― and then does it. Aah, such a smart and pretty girl.

"Aah, yes, Kika is such a smart and pretty girl."

She giggles with glee at the genuine compliment.

After completing this self assigned task, I step forth toward Luria's glowing elven form, and nod.

"Okay then, now where do Kika and I go next? Some small community, a group of a couple people-"

Luria's form ... smiled. "Master, I'll send you there now-"

And in a flash of light, we disappeared from the deific realm, and into a paved Colosseum.

For hundreds of square meters around, I see ... people, kneeling on the ground and praying with soft words. It sounds to be things like, "Master David, guide us", or "Great God David, bless us-"

-that Luria. She'd probably gone ahead and left some message for my coming. Which means, they at least knew a change had come.

But more than this, this is a city. No, not a mere village or even just a farmstead or something with a few people; this is a complete city, for all intents and purposes, housing maybe tens of thousands-

I ... can't.

I've never been good at ... p, p, public s, speaking.

Honestly I thought I can ... maybe ... might ... be able to handle, well, four. Four people. Maybe five, in a pinch.

Not ... four thousand. Definitely not, five thousand. I feel myself pale immediately.

... oh no Luria what have you done to me-

The strength seems to go out of my legs, but I'm still standing. Kika is here too, but nobody is looking up to notice our arrival. So, how do I, who says what, um.

Maybe, if I play the 'silent strong part', the role of someone who lets the others speak?

Th, this was a m, mission. A q, quest. From Luria. Damn. I feel s, so sh, shaky.

Some people are like this dammit! Some people really do have a social anxiety to them dammit!

"H, hello-"

Faces look up, now, the nearest ones to me, and see me and Kika here.

Both impressed someone came, and maybe confused at a goblin girl being here too ― this is one city of mixed races, though, so the surprise is not too large. I see many humans but also catlike and doglike beings ― mostly humans right up near me, but I do see many others near enough to see, they are real. Now that I look ― anything to distract me ― I do see some that might be a demon race, guys and girls with various curved horns on their heads.

All bowing before me? Or merely because of something Luria might have p, p, promised-

Oh if I cannot follow through with this, they'll-

But the worship. It's real; and it's more than I've ever thought possible, from ... well ... so many at once.

In spite of my own self, my own fears and concerns ― I'm grinning. With this much coming in as income, I cannot fail to expand the domain and provide for its upkeep.

S. So. Am I, do they, should I say something.

"H, hold on!"

I call out with my voice, surprising even myself in how my voice is reverberating through this area. I can do that? Oh yes I can, but I'm surprised anyway.

Better to say something, to introduce myself, and at least attempt the kind of self introduction I might have wanted to give ... if I had a chance.


"I am David, a human male person who was brought to this world by the former goddess Gabi, who most all of you will likely know. I say former goddess, because due to some factors, she became unable to properly manage this world and its peoples, including you and anyone else in it. Which leaves, me ― someone to take over in her behalf. In place of her, who lately did not do all she could, or should, I am instead here to bridge the gaps between peoples. As most of you also see, because of wanting to have followers as well as friends from all races, I have a female goblin companion beside me, and her name is Kika. She has the latent possibility to evolve soon, perhaps to hobgoblin or another form ― like I see with some of you here too. So. In lieu of this, I ask of you, will you extend your kindness to me and to each other?"

It's probably the bravest thing I've spoken in some long time. I got through it without breaking into a sweat; so that's good at least. Hmm, is their worship mana helping me to lose my uncertainty, or is the overall situation warranting my bolder words and it's all me saying this? Who knows, who cares, for now let's just go with this-

The largest male form near me, the one with such a leonine body ― oh he's the king of this place? I'm not afraid, remember I'm here in place of a deity, so ... oh yeah I already faced down a king of the goblins but ... this might be different.

"How did you know I would be here?" I asked cautiously, to anyone within hearing distance.

The king himself, he raised his head, and answered.

"From the papers which fell from the sky-"

"-oh." Um, papers, as in ... some kind of confetti, or as in some public announcement dropped upon a people? "Oh! What did this paper say? It was sent ahead of me by ... an assistant, and I do not know what she wrote in her eagerness to say something."

The king pulled one such scrap of paper from within his inner clothing, from a pocket somewhere, and handed it over to me.

It read ... um I cannot really read this so well. It's the same sort of writing as I saw in the picture of the scratches across my back. I focus, hard, but only some of the words become clearer, as if it's not a whole part of a language which is becoming translated to me.

-what the. What does '+99 Libido' have to do with anything-

The part I can read though, seems to say something like 'worship given now' and 'assured future prosperity' and 'bring world peace'. Or something.

As if, I can do all that. I slowly hand the paper back to this leonine form, smiling up at me, and he takes it with reverent zeal.

... suddenly I'm not sure what should come next. Tour the kingdom, or sit in court with him for a day, or ... well obviously not something so one-sided as to say 'smite my enemy' or something-

Which does beg the question. What exactly am I really supposed to do? Am I supposed to just believe, and things will be better here and everywhere? No; the world doesn't work like that, I know, I've tried in my past life to see it so.

"So .. first things first ... what are you expecting, from me-"

I say this mostly to myself; but because of the people here, and my suddenly loud voice again, many hear this.

This king looks up at me, and says his own words.

"Master David. If I may be so bold as to be both the leader of this kingdom, and your humble servant, then I should offer you a tribute worthy of your capacity to guide and protect us."

"Just to be fair," I start out in response, "I am neither going to grant a one-sided blessing to this people and not to a neighboring people. I do say, I will want to make a proverbial bridge between the peoples, which means I want all to get along together. No separating this people from that people, based upon some border drawn upon a map ― my vision extends beyond something so minute."

"... then, what of the neighbor kingdom who wishes to send their armies against us, to make this city fall?"

Gulp-

"If one should come up against you, against this city or any other within your domain, do ask first of the invader if they will set down their weapons and come in peace. If so, you may have gained an ally through your extended kindness. But if not ― do defend your people, and call out to me too ― I will wish to exert my own attempt to smooth the way for you and them to coexist."

A young female foxkin spoke up. "Somehow, god, I do not think the Brazen Empire wants to speak with calm words-"

"Daughter, that is quite enough, thank you," huffed the king.

"No, she is right to speak. In truth, this is the first place beyond having a hundred people in one spot I have visited; so I do not yet know all the peoples of this world or their tendencies. Aah I do have this world map here," I let it show before me, and the king gasped in surprise at seeing this. "So um, yeah I can learn about places as I am ready to visit."

I'm thankful, Luria somehow has enough DP to update this world map, to the state it is right now. If I didn't have so much of a way to learn about the world, I would be lost. Or maybe this same data is what Luria would use in watching the world in my behalf, and giving me the direction on where to go.

"... my lord? Is this, our world?"

"Why yes, it is."

"Can I, also, do this? Show this world?"

I'd consider it, but I wonder for what reason.

"For what reason."

"To be able to know it, too, like you."

"Just this? Well I do have a thing which can be done; it's not a gift to one person only, but to a structure which can be connected to my realm in a primary way. A way for something such as this to be a shared resource for all people to come and see."

"... oh. Well even then, it's fine, if I can go to see such a thing."

"I am serious, in this. If I were to permit this construction, and you or your descendants were for any reason to restrict access to it to any but those they wanted to allow such access ― I would destroy it, so none could have it as their right to control."

The king grinned in spite of this warning. "I agree! My children should always follow your commands! Master Builder, what area of the city is available?"

A wolfish guy leapt to his feet, as many who had been kneeling were now doing. "Fourteen blocks, from west of Golden Fountain Park, and north of Silver Floodgate Springs, to-"

"Whoa hey, I did not expect it be so large," I protest. "Even a simple block or so would be enough. But. I'll not have anyone go homeless or without a place of work for this. Any who hold residence or set up shop in the areas who would be displaced, also must be paid fairly for their displacement. Usually to cover the value of land or assets they own is sufficient; but additional expenses for their moving could be part of this."

The king looked nervously to another side. "Um ... Treasurer Vania-"

"... understood, my lord. It will be ... a tight fit, and we can cancel the construction of the eastern orphanage but-"

"I'll not have any orphans go homeless!"

To their querulous eyes, I can only sigh, in my own frustration.

Oh dear. Is this what being a deity walking among the peoples would be like?

At a soft tug at my side, Kika reminds me she is here too.

"Smell meat cooking. Hungry for meat-"

Aha.

"Listen. My little friend Kika wants to explore and find some meat for her diet; and I wouldn't mind just browsing among the city streets for some time. But, in the meantime, what I have to say to all is, treat each other as your equal. See to the needs of each other, and consider your neighbors' deficiencies as your own. In this way I would hope if any orphans exist, the couples within this city who have such ability to take one or two of them in, will do so. It is hard enough being an orphan and living among other orphans, when I feel so many of them only want a parent or guardian to care for them. Also in home life or business dealings, I would ask each person to consider to make things right and equal, as much as possible, without overdoing it. Before anything should be built in my name ... let me know you for a year."

This crestfallen look ― did the king think to start building right away for me, something in my name?

But the king recovered quick. "Captain Archer, send a detail to go with-"

"That won't be necessary. For if either me or Kika were harmed ... we would just disappear, and nobody here would see us again."


The king had paled at those words, but doubled down his call to his kingdom's citizens to be their boldest, equalest, fairest, and lovingest as they could. And then, he went on to tell all to disperse, to return to their daily lives and routines ― but with those things still firmly in mind.

Really. To say so much-

Kika is just grinning now, pointing out the scent of meats which even I can sense and smell from here. With a mere nod, and a promise to see him later, the two of us walk among the throng of people, and vanish from the king's sight.

A block further, and I'm thankful an armed detail was not sent along with us ... but pretty sure the one I sense at a respectable distance is the foxy daughter coming to find us.

I stop, and turn back, motioning with a hand wave for this daughter to catch up to us. Which she's doing, with a hearty grin on her cheeks, rushing in to take the other arm not held by Kika. I think she's ... smitten ... with me. Or maybe her foxy face just does resemble a humanoid girl enthralled with a man-

"Hello, I am David, and this is Kika-"

"I'm Anyah. The youngest princess, born via the royal consort Erena."

If this were anything like Earth medieval culture, she would probably have an arranged marriage awaiting her maturity. Even coming from a consort she might be considered a marketable asset. But in this moment, I see she might really be wanting to take hold of me, and showing us 'her' kingdom's capital.

"David. Smell meat. There." Kika looks up expectantly.

"We'll get there soon enough." At her continued glance, I only warned, "We don't have the local currency."

"I, I will pay! It's my treat!" squeaked the princess.

"We will try not to be a burden," I pat her paw linked to my arm, as Kika took the cue and raced ahead. I can only chuckle at her eagerness. A goblin girl, getting to eat such street food fare in a mostly human world? Unheard of, except anywhere but here.

"S, so is she um ... your-"

"I started my first steps in this world, by going to the individuals who gave the highest worship value. Strangely enough, she gives the highest in worship; mostly because the 'previous deity' goddess Gabi, had been interacting with her, and her sister. Well the goblin king had already killed the sister and was about to have Kika murdered ... when I showed up to stop it. I brought her along with me, because otherwise he would have gone on to kill her."

"... oh. But. A goblin king, father will wish to know, this sounds like ... trouble-"

"One with a temper too. Straight that way. Up the cliff, and through the forest quite a ways in. A whole tribe of them. The king, bearing a magic weapon, plus a full one hundred of his fighters, just to kill two goblin girls who'd follow Gabi's past words ... and that's not even counting the ones in the cave. Oh don't worry about them, I'm sort of keeping an eye out for what they do."

Anyah's face froze for a second, but even she must have faith I would not let a goblin horde descend upon this kingdom, they would be saved from an attack. Well I could, but should I ... if I'm not sure this kingdom would not be the aggressor ― even a goblin tribe has a right to exist, surely-

"But. Kika is just the first one I met. The second one, is a lamia woman, a dungeon mistress to boot. She was, is, very ... passionate."

Anyah's face turned worried for a moment, as I involuntarily let slip the bounds of my recent relationships.

"But as I did say, I want friends and followers from among all races."

A blush returned, as the fox girl nodded. "... I ... understand."


And then, we were there, matching Kika's eager gaze upon so many pieces of meat roasting together. Wooden skewer sticks held long stringy and fatty pieces of meats, basted in thick sauces much like the barbecues I had known before. The smell ... so wonderful, even my mouth watered in anticipation.

The princess hands out two silver coins, and the merchant leapt into action, handing out the skewers to the three of us. I'm not sure of the value of the coins, but I think maybe this was overpaying a bit much. In any case, the merchant is happy, a broadly grinning human woman with some grease stains across her apron. A younger version of herself, a daughter in the same line, also stood nearby, holding a wooden crate of meat for her mother; while on the other side, a young son with a wounded arm stood there, holding the business' coin purse, watching customers with interest-

"-your arm, what happened," I query.

"Daddy got angry," came out a timid voice, with a hint of some broken teeth too.

"Timi!" cried the mother.

"I di'n't tip his drink! It felled! I tell you, his mug slipped from his fin'ers!"

I gulped, and not because I had food at my lips.

A father, broke his son's arm, because ... he was angry ... for what, the loss of a drink? And now this was too embarrassing for the mother to let her son say?

I think, I have to say this to her, first.

"... tell this man, before he takes another drink which drives him to such anger ― he must first pray for complete forgiveness, and remember the power a drink holds over him, for the rest of his life. Second ... he must make an apology each to his own son, and to you, and to any other person alive he has expressed this anger toward."

The street is silent. The mother, aghast at this telling. The daughter, just as shocked. The son, grinning but in a worried way. And behind the mother ― a man, fully glaring.

"That was a fine port what got spilt!"

"You put more importance on a drink than on the safety of your family?"

Someone far behind me coughed; but I'm staring so dead intent on the actions of this man, I cannot see or hear much else.

"... wouldn't you?"

"Nope. 'Relationships Before Things'. This is my own motto."

"What the hell, man. What does that even mean."

"A living being is born into the world having nothing, except what will be given him, her, or it. At death, the once living being can take little or even nothing along, wherever he, she, or it will go. I know this; I came from another world at my own death, and came here as naked as I was born. So, you try to see what having this or that drink, or object, or wealth can do for you."

A small cheer is started back there too; and it catches on. The man glares one last time, then turns and vanishes into the building behind his wife's setup.

The boy steps forward, grasping for my shoulder.

"Thank you for speaking in my behalf, my god, but this will make him angry anyway."

With a hundred eyes upon me and this gathering, what can I say?

"Well. I won't do anything so big as to say I could curse him or anything ― but please say this. The misfortune I foresee about to befall upon him, will be all his own doing. Have faith, have a heart, for maybe he may change his own heart for a more calm and mild personality. But anyway-"

I feel warmth pass through my hand to the bent arm, faint light glowed, showing a healing of the broken bones within the arm and teeth were being effected. I might have used more mana than intended.

"This is a start. Even if a parent may think or act in a wrong way ... as you are a child, I will respect any effort you give to be obedient and respectful of your parents."

Timi grinned, and grabbed me in a hug. I almost dropped one of the three skewers still in hand.

I nod to the mother. "Thank you for the skewered meats, they are delicious."

To be honest, this mother does not know how to respond right now. For one thing, this scene with her husband could have been too much; but on another, she felt gratitude for the healing of her son. I too don't know so much if this should have been done; but as it was something before me, and I could literally do something now ... I had to.


Parting from the scene, I direct myself, Kika, and Anyah away to another side street.

Anyah is amused but withholding comment, until-

"... I didn't know."

"Know what?"

"A dying person cannot take anything with them? Is this true? Because even from the time of the kings of the past, it is said they take their glory and power with them, into the next existence. And it was told even to such as me, the daughter of a mere concubine, I should do great things in my life, so I could take that with me."

"Nope, I got none of that either, and I was wealthy. The wealthiest one. Back in my last life ― well I did some form of business really well, and for my efforts, what I made or had a hand in having made, spanned my whole world. Yet, none of that could come along with me ... or, nothing but the knowledge of how to do it ― but that's not important. Only something I would do, as a hobby, for my own sense of accomplishment ― and nothing more."

Her dreamy eyes said it all. "... m, marry me-"

"Stand in line," inserted Kika, a ginning mouth covered in barbecue sauces.

I only smile, and let it pass. Such proposals too had been spoken in my past life, even to me of an older age, so I was nearly immune to them now.

27