Chapter 15 – Truth
248 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      In the end, Sir Andred’s men arrived at the House of Broken Dreams, and assisted in building a cairn for Eric’s body to be buried beneath - although to say they were confused about Sir Andred’s about-face regarding Maeve was an understatement.   Sir Andred also offered Sir Carmichael’s horse to Maeve, Eric, Kai and Christine, so that it might be easier to get Eric back to Ogden town.  Maeve and Kai also found Eric some warmer travelling clothes to make the trip back to Ogden more comfortable.

 

      Eric squirmed a bit in the unfamiliar clothing... She was wearing a woolen dress, with linen undergarments, woolen socks and leather shoes, a head covering similar to a bonnet, and a grey woolen cloak.   The undergarments were the worst so far - itchy and unfamiliar.  The sensation of having to tie a bodice shut to conceal a young woman’s breasts was rather strange too.

 

      As Eric watched the men-at-arms, the reality of the situation started to settle upon him... or was it her?   That’s my body we’re burying.   She thought.   I’m a girl now.  What the hell am I going to do?   I don’t know how to be a girl.   I can’t even go home anymore - who would believe I am who I say I am?  Did the Goddess do this to me, or was it something I did?   I just did what she told me to do...

 

      Christine saw Eric watching the funeral, and put her arm around the now young woman.  “Buck up, Eric.” She said, trying to feel the positivity she was putting into her own words.  “How many people get to go to their own funeral and walk away?”

 

      Eric sniffed.  “Not many, I guess.  I’m not even dressed like Phil Schiffley.”  A short pause later, she tried to cheer up a bit.  “Why did that asshole have to torch my leather jacket?  I loved that jacket.  Stupid jerk.  And my Doc Martens are toast too.  Asshole.”

 

      Kai smiled at the comment.  It seemed that nothing could keep Eric, or Christine, down for too long.  He could respect that.  “You know, we DO have leather jackets and coats on our world too, Eric.  It wouldn’t be hard to find one you like, and buy it, once you have some coin.”

 

      “Oh my GOD!”  Christine laughed, with a twinkle in her eye.  “We could go SHOPPING!”  She turned the comment into an excited statement - a parody of a bad sitcom on TV back home.  Christine couldn’t help herself, and laughed at the situation, laughed at Eric’s discomfort - it was just too ludicrous a situation.   As she made her statement, she ducked away from Eric, to avoid the slap upside the head she expected to be coming her way.

 

      Eric just stuck his tongue out at her.  “Very funny, Christine.”  She smiled a bit, though.  Shopping might be nice.

 

      Maeve came over, and put her hand on Eric’s shoulder.   “I’m sorry we couldn’t save your male body, Eric.  You should know, though, that if you are very unhappy as you are now, there is a way to help you return to being male.”

 

       But I’m not unhappy, she thought.  Just confused.  “What way is there?”  Eric said.  “A magic spell?” 

 

 

      “Not really,” said Kai.   “There are sometime people born who we call ‘Tuaithal Breithe’ - children born of the wrong soul - boys who wish to be girls, or girls who wish to be boys.   They are usually discovered in their early teen years, and counselled by members of the church to see if they truly are wrong souled - and if they are, they are allowed to undergo a religious ritual performed by the church, which aligns their bodies with their souls.  After a year and a day in their new body, they are considered to be the same as if they had been born that way.”

 

      “Holy Crap!”  Eric said.  “Really?”

 

      Christine shook her head at the thought.  What the transgendered people back home wouldn’t give for a trip here.   “Does this happen often?  Is it common?”  She asked.

 

      Maeve shook her head.  “Not really - most towns and villages have a few children undergoing the ritual, or have heard of someone who did, or perhaps had a relative in their family tree that did.  It’s not considered normal - but not abnormal either.  It’s like when you have an illness, and go to a herbalist to get medicine to get better.  Once you get better, no one really thinks about it anymore.”

 

      Kai saw Christine and Eric’s surprised faces.   “You seem surprised.  What do they do with children who are born wrong-souled on your world?”

 

      Christine thought about it a moment.  “They don’t really do much.  A lot of them think they’re sick – something’s wrong with them.  Some take their lives or are cast out and disowned by their families.  Others have years of therapy and social ridicule as they’re treated like outcasts, and live in fear of being discovered.  Some are murdered - a lot are murdered, actually - and some few receive surgery to try to align their bodies more with their soul - but it’s not a perfect cure, and even then many don’t transition well.”

 

      “That’s barbaric!”   Kai looked shocked.

 

      “Yeah, I guess it is.”  Said Christine, a little pissed off at Kai’s holier-than-thou tone.  “But our world has a lot going for it too - so if you and Maeve can ask Eric and I not to judge until we’ve seen some of the good things in your world, then you can at least do us the favor of showing us the same courtesy.”

 

      Kai didn’t know what to say, so he nodded his head, and turned away.  “Maybe we should get going soon.  I’ll go check the horses and gear.”   He stalked off, head down.  

 

      Maeve watched him go, and turned to Eric and Christine.  “Kai’s a good man - but he didn’t mean to insult you, Christine.  He had a relative who was Tuaithal Breith, a young man named Donal, who underwent the ritual of Màigean Mranne, and became a woman.  I guess the thought of her being murdered for simply being different was upsetting.”

 

      “Wow...  Was Donal his brother?”  Eric asked.

 

      “No,” Maeve replied.   “Donal, who became Donya, was his Grandmother.  If Donal had been born on your world, Kai would not have ever existed.”  Maeve looked at Kai’s retreating form.  “He’s just a bit shocked - our two worlds seem to be very, very different places.  I look forward to hearing more of yours when you’re ready.”   Maeve pointed at the cairn, nearly finished.   “Say your goodbyes - take what time you need.  When you’re ready, we’ll be by the horses.”

 

      Eric and Christine watched her go, then turned back to Eric’s cairn.

 

      “What now?”  Christine asked.

 

 

      Eric thought a bit.  “I guess we head to Wethom, rest up, and see if I can get training to take you home.  As for anything else, I just don’t know.  I still can’t believe I died, and I’m still here.”

     

      “I know.  You’re not the only one its weird for, believe me.”  Christine reached out, and held Eric’s hand.   “I just want you to know I’m here for you, okay?”

     

      “Thanks, Christine.”

 

      After a few minutes watching the cairn, the two women finished saying their goodbyes, and turned and headed back to the horses.

 

      As Eric and Christine returned to the stables outside the House of Broken Dreams, they saw Sir Andred leaving the building, carrying a lit torch.   The smell of smoke was in the air - and they could see flames licking at the inside of the building.  “Better to put this nest of vipers to the torch.”   Sir Andred said.   “Maybe the evils done here will be cleansed by the flames.” 

 

      Maeve nodded.  “A fitting end.”   She felt her pouch, where she had put Bishop Vargas’s Black Ring.  The Council of Hierarchs will want to see this most urgently, she thought.  “We should be going.  Christine, can you ride well?”

 

      “No, not really.  Not yet anyway.”

 

      “Then you can ride with me; Kai will take Eric.   It will slow the horses to ride double, but we would be slower still if some of us walked while the other rode.  And if I recall, your feet are still not fully recovered.”

 

      Christine looked as if she was going to argue, but thought better of it.   What difference does it make?   I could ride with Eric, but then Maeve and Kai would need to ride together, and Eric looks like she barely weighs 110 pounds soaking wet.  She’s about five feet, six inches at best... and emaciated.  I suppose her being so light balances out Kai’s weight.  I just wanted to talk to Eric in private for a bit, is all.  And she’s right... My feet still feel like hell.  “Thanks, Maeve.  I guess they do still hurt after all.”

 

      Maeve helped Christine up in the saddle, then vaulted up herself - while Kai, already mounted, reached down and pulled Eric up in front of him.   She grinned a bit, thinking of how impossible that manoeuver would have been a day ago.  Eric, when he was a man, was way too heavy for that kind of manhandling, she thought.   Now he needs to put on weight, not take it off.   The world is strange, no matter which world it is.

 

      The group of them began to ride, followed by Sir Andred and his string of retainers on foot.  They would be slower in returning to Ogden town than Maeve and Kai.   Maeve and Kai on horse, even loaded as they were with Christine and Eric, could make the ten mile trip in perhaps three hours; Sir Andred and his men were looking at more like five or six hours.  It was good they were leaving now - in perhaps a week, maybe two the spring thaw could come - and then the hard packed dirt road would be a quagmire for weeks.  As it was now, it was mostly frozen - a bit squelchy, with mud on top - but firm frozen ground to travel on.  They would make good time.

     

*          *          *

 

 

      In the House of Broken Dreams, Vargas Elm felt pain.   He had blacked out for a moment, when that damned knight, Sir Andred, killed Awai...  Awai, my love!   The mortally wounded Bishop moaned in pain.   And then I accidentally killed Eric - like a fool!   If I hadn’t crafted that spell-charm from my own blood, that stupid bitch with the handgun would have killed me!   Vargas shuddered at the memory of Christine firing bullet after bullet into his body.   Eight shots in all, he thought.  Each one a final nail in my casket...  Well this dog has a few tricks left. 

 

      Vargas knew he was going to die - nothing could stop that now.  The spell he had cast in blood would extend his life for perhaps an hour more, if he didn’t exert himself.   Vargas pulled his broken and bleeding body up to a sitting position, and took stock of the situation...   The House of Broken Dreams was on fire, and smoke was filling the room.  The fire was probably set by that zealot, Andred, or perhaps Maeve.  He thought.  I don’t have much time.  In fact, he had no clue exactly how much or how little time had passed, since Christine shot him eight times - he guessed it wasn’t too long, or else the building and he would have been reduced to ashes.  

 

      The dying Bishop began to focus what was left of his power into his Nairya, and felt it slow in coming - then he realized why... That damned bitch took my Black Ring!   Vargas thought.   Will she never cease to plague me?   I’ll have the last laugh yet, Maeve Varda!

 

      Bishop Vargas started drawing on the floor, using charcoal and blood - both in ample quantity nearby, considering.  It was a rough spell - not anywhere near his usual caliber - but it didn’t need to be.  He didn’t expect to survive the casting.   Let’s see if she can survive my vengeance!  I do this for you also, my love, Awai.  I pray that Lady Delirium takes you to her bosom - I fear I will have no such reward.

 

      With that he plunged his dagger into his left arm, screaming.   Blood fountained out over the crude summoning circle he himself stood in the center of, and strangely, the blood seemed unable to trickle out of it.   “Demon!  Uttuku!  I summon thee for one last command!”   He raised his hands, dagger still impaled through his forearm, and conjured with all his power...  Magic coruscated through his body, as he was Kissed by the void - but it was enough...  He could sense the demon’s presence.

     

      What would you have me do, Wizard?  spoke a voice in his head.  It sounded like screaming, combined with the scratching of fingernails on a chalkboard - but oh, so much worse.   What task do you offer your lifesblood for?   

 

      “I want you to destroy Maeve Varda, body and soul.  And when she’s dead, I want you to butcher Sir Andred in an orgy of violence that will terrify people for the next thousand years.  Kill his entire bloodline.”

 

      The demon considered a moment the Sorcerer’s demand.  Maeve had escaped him once... Perhaps this time would be more successful.   DONE!    Once the bargain was made, the demon materialized and began to feed on the sorcerers spilled lifesblood.  

 

      Vargas Elm grew weak, and fell to his knees, slumping.  “It won’t be long now, Awai.  I love you.”

 

      The demon paused.  It considered.   Mortal, it is within my power to save you.  To grant you the revenge you crave.  To grant you a chance to restore your lover to the living.   All I ask is that in the future, when I or my master asks it, you grant us a single favor - if you swear it on what’s left of your soul - on your bond to Hrask himself, I will save you.  What say you?

 

 

      “Agreed, Demon.  For vengeance I would risk anything.  To complete my work I would risk everything.  Tiamat must be found - Awai must live again.   I will make your bargain, though I be damned in the doing of it.”  Vargas whispered.   Weak from injury and blood loss, from being Kissed by the Void, his injuries were too much - and he blacked out.

 

      Very well.  Your pact is accepted.  I will save you - and one day, I will come to collect my payment.  The gods themselves will learn to fear us if you do not pay that debt...   The demon chanted in a horrific sibilant whisper, and the worst of Vargas Elm’s injuries healed... leaving him hurt and battered - but not dead.  He would recover, in time - and get his vengeance.... And now so would the demon.  

 

      It looks like we’ll meet again, Askelinian. The demon said, more to himself than anyone else.   I’ll enjoy breaking you.   Without another word, it took to the air - free of constraints, free of commands, save the breaking of Maeve and the death of Sir Andred and his bloodline.   He was neither constrained to stay nor leave - and once his task was complete, he could do as he wished...   It was something it was looking forward to, very, very  much.

 

*          *          *

 

      Maeve, Kai, Eric and Christine had ridden for some distance towards Ogden town - perhaps for two hours or so.  It was still full night - Kai claimed it would be several hours before dawn.   The temperature had dropped considerably as well - a cold-snap moving in was the culprit.  

 

      Eric shivered, even with the cold weather clothes Maeve and the others had found him... her.  I’m still getting used to that too.  Thought Eric.   I guess I don’t have any meat on my bones, thanks to that sleeping sickness.   It’s lucky I have the strength to even sit up.   Eric leaned against Kai, glad for the support.  He... she... wasn’t sure she could have stayed upright in the saddle all the way to Ogden town.  Her strength had faded relatively quickly - quicker than she expected.   The strength of Kai’s arm around her was reassuring.

 

      “It’s alright if you need to sleep, Eric.”   Kai said.  “I won’t let you fall.”

 

      “Thanks, but I’ll be alright.  I’m tired, not sleepy - if you know what I mean by the difference.”  Eric said, grateful for the offer.

 

      “I do.”  Kai smiled.  “You and Christine are doing well.   When Maeve drags me off on her usual adventures, they don’t usually end this well.”

 

      Christine nearly did a spit-take.  “Well?!  If this is well, then what’s a badly ending adventure like?”

 

      Maeve shook her head, wryly.   “Kai jests.  This ended as well as it could - but it wasn’t a glorious success.   Too many people died - most of them innocent, like the Dreamers - or Sir Tannin, who thought he was following lawful orders.  Even Eric died, even if he did cheat and get better.”   Maeve joked - and received a stuck out tongue from Eric in return.  “No, the only victory we had today was our survival - and information.   We now know the Hserinyar and their Order of the Black Ring are seeking the Lost Tiamat, to bring about the death of the gods of Man.   We know Mageborn Dreamers might possess links to other worlds.  We know travel to and from these worlds is possible.  We need to warn the Council of Hierarchs - who will in turn bring the matter to the attention of the Muirainne and Fireannor - our High Queen and High King, in your tongue Eric, Christine.  Soon our part in this tale will be over - and we can take some well needed time off to rest - and get you trained in magic, Eric.”

 

      “I have to admit, I’d like to learn to do more.”  Eric agreed.  “Does it take a long time to learn?”

 

 

      “It’s like any other skill.”  Maeve said.  “The basics come pretty quickly, but it can take years, if not a lifetime, to fully master.   And it’s not like you’ll be able to do nothing but train - we’ll have to find some way to pay your way.  Food and lodging Isn’t free, and neither is tutoring.”

 

      “How screwed are we, financially speaking?”  Christine asked.  

 

      “Not too badly.  I have some money, and I’ll be getting more from this last job.  I also suspect that the Council may pony up some cash in order to assist you both - in exchange for you telling us as much as you can about your world.   We might need to find you some jobs, but you won’t be beggars, nor without means.”

 

      Well, at least we won’t be behind the eight-ball while we wait to get home.  Thought Christine.   Oh Crap!   My house!   “If we don’t get back soon, I might lose my house!”

 

      Eric looked over and simply said “Sorry Christine... I shouldn’t have got you mixed up in all this.  I’d take it back if I could.” 

 

      Christine sighed.   “Don’t worry about it too much, squirt.   I suppose I’ll just have to make sure you stay alive this time...  I don’t even know how we’re going to explain this to your sister Angie.”  She said the last, while gesturing towards Eric with a sweep of her arm.  

 

      “Tell me about it.”  Laughed Eric.   “If it’ any help, I don’t think I’m schizophrenic.   I think I know why the voices stopped.”

 

      Maeve looked curious.  “Why, Eric?”

 

      “Well, I think it has to do with my link to the Dreamer - me, now.   While I was on Earth and she was here, the link between us was stretched tight, through the Void, like a string with two tin cans at the ends.  I could hear her a little - and she could hear me a little.   I think the Demons in the Void were tapping into the link and sending ‘voices’ to both of us - and it was misinterpreted by doctors on Earth as schizophrenia.   I mean, I don’t think ALL schizophrenics are plagued by real demons - but I think in at least my case, I was.   When I came to Mercia, the ‘string’ of our link wasn’t in the Void anymore - so voila!  No more evil voices!”

 

      Maeve pondered that for a moment.  Very astute.  Eric is a bright, bright young man.   “I daresay you’re probably right, but without a two-way link to test, I guess we’ll never know for sure - for which I am very glad.  Some things aren’t meant to be known.  Perhaps this is one of them.”

 

      Christine didn’t know what to say - it sounded too crazy.  “So you think some of those people who you hear about on the news, who kill their loved ones trying to exorcise demons might be right?  I hope not - God I hope not!”

 

      Eric shuddered too.   Just a few weeks prior to all the events leading up to this, a young boy in Alberta had been scalded to death, when his parents poured boiling water on him to drive out the demons.   To think that a real demon might even have been involved makes it even more horrible.  Thought Eric.  Their child would be dead, and they would be blamed for killing him - and no one would believe the demon they knew was real, well, was real.   Eric couldn’t imagine how having that happen to a child of his would make him feel.   “I heard the Vatican is training new Exorcists all the time.  If I was a jerk, I’d ask ‘do they know something we don’t?’ - but I don’t think it’s funny anymore after seeing a demon up close.”

     

     

      Everyone rode for a while in silence after that. 

 

      Christine finally broke the silence.  “Eric.  I hope you’re right - about the not being schizophrenic.  I know it was a horrific ordeal for you.  I’m not sure I like the idea of you being targeted by demons better - but I hope you’re not schizophrenic, really.”

 

      “Thanks, Christine.”  Eric said.   “You know, moments of sheer terror aside, the last two days of being alone in my head - without the voices - have been rather refreshing.  I could get used to it.”

 

      Kai laughed - and then paused.  “Do you hear that?” he asked, looking behind him into the darkness.   The light of the three moons was dim tonight - he saw nothing.

 

      It was then Maeve heard the flapping of wings.   It can’t be a drake, She thought.  The people of Ogden town would have seen signs of it when it hunted.   It isn’t a dragon...   Maeve had a sinking feeling - from the size and speed of the flapping, there wasn’t much else it could be...  “SCATTER!” she yelled, and dropped off the back of her horse.  Landing on the ground with a thump, she slapped the horse in the rump and yelled “Keep going Christine, and don’t stop - not for anything!”

 

      Kai, on the other hand, wheeled around to see what the hell was going on - and saw the shadowy shape of the Uttuku land in the snow, perhaps a dozen yards from Maeve.  Oh Gods!  He thought.  How can we face this and survive?   “Eric, get down - I have to help Maeve!”

 

      Eric didn’t need to be told twice.  She gathered herself, and leapt off Kai’s horse, landing with a painful thud in the ice and snow on the hard frozen ground.   Dammit.  She thought, feeling every scrape and pebble.  Not even a bit of padding here - I’m too scrawny after being an invalid so long.

 

      The demon was large - perhaps nine feet tall, with leathery wings and eyes made of fire.   We meet again, Maeve Varda. it said, in her mind.  The reek of fire and brimstone nearly made Maeve gag.  You are not well liked by certain deceased wizards.

 

      Maeve felt her blood run cold.  The demon is back... Oh Goddess!  She swallowed her fear, and drew her sword.  “Run, you idiots - it only wants me!”   

 

      This time, you are incorrect... I seek one other as well, but he is not here.  Before I kill you, however, I will make you suffer.   The demon roared - the first sound it made with its immense maw since arriving.  Kai’s horse panicked, and reared - nearly trampling Eric and throwing Kai.

 

      Before anyone could react, the demon moved - inhumanly fast, and grappled with Maeve.  She stabbed it once, twice, three times - to no effect.   It held her in one claw, arm extended - effortlessly, like she was a kitten in its hand.   And now to break you. it said.   Do you know why we like you humans so much Maeve?  Why we watch you constantly and entertain ourselves with your downfall.   Because of your endless ability at self deception.   Imagine - the worst torture you can think of is nothing - nothing - compared to taking the ability to lie to one’s self away from someone.

 

      And just like that, it reached into Maeve’s mind, and ripped away the film clouding her memories - the very same film Eric had perceived when he was connected to her only a few hours earlier.   Maeve screamed - screamed like she was losing her soul.  Suddenly, the magnitude of whatever evil they have done falls in upon them, right Maeve?  They try to run - like you are running now - to avoid their guilt or fear or shame.  But where is there to run when the demons you face are of your own creation.

 

      Kai grabbed the reins, and leapt into the saddle.  Spurring his horse, he charged the demon, his sword slashing as he raced by.  The blade struck the demon a solid blow - and had about as much effect as a raindrop.   With a casual backhand, the demon swatted Kai off his saddle, and to the ground, prone, his head making a hollow sound as it struck a rock.  Kai lay motionless - Eric wasn’t even sure if Kai was alive or not.  

     

      What demons are you seeing Maeve?  What will be your way out?   Most people cannot face what they hide from themselves.  What do you hide Maeve?   Did someone die?  It sneered maliciously.  Someone always dies... you creatures are like ants - you live and work and die, and think yourselves the masters of the universe.   Do you know what the greater part of the universe is composed of, Maeve?  Darkness.   And in the darkness between the stars, is US.  There is no escaping us.

     

      Christine was long gone - her horse wouldn’t stop running until it fainted.  The only one left who could help Maeve, was Eric.   What do I do?   What can I do?   Eric thought about the gun - but remembered it didn’t do the cops back home much good against the demon anyway - and Christine probably still had it anyway from when she emptied the clip into Bishop Vargas.   If I don’t do something, Maeve’s dead.... THINK!

     

*          *          *

 

      Maeve didn’t hear the demon’s taunts... the moment it attacked, the moment it stripped the film over her mind away, she wasn’t in the woods outside Ogden town anymore - she was back in Terathel, in the summer, five long years ago when she and her brother Nile were walking across the cobblestone square to meet their mother Gillian at the end of a hard days work at the courthouse...  NO NO NO NO NO NO   she thought, trying to avoid seeing what came next.  Not this - I can’t live through this again!  Not again!

 

      Maeve couldn’t avoid it - the scene played out, like it did in her nightmares.   Maeve smiled at the thought of her mother Gillian(s accomplishments.  She had worn a Magistrates' Black for 14 years - almost all of Niles life.  Maeve wore an embroidered blue cotton dress, which she had decorated herself in her time off, and carried a basket of fruit, bread, and meat she had bought at the market.  Nile wore the standard kilt most children wore in Valris, as well as a light brown linen shirt, stained green from the grass where they had taken their lunch.   The scene was crystal clear in her mind - not fuzzy, like a dream, or half-forgotten, like an old memory.  She was reliving the event, in every way possible, except that she couldn’t change what happened...

 

      Although it was late in the day, the sun was still far from setting, and people passed everywhere in the town square, heading to and fro.  Suddenly, the crowd parted to reveal a man - a Fallen Hserite man.  His skin was brownish-green, and scaled like a lizard's, and his tongue, although once human, was now forked.  He was dressed in heavy garb - brown breeches and knee-length boots, a light brown woollen shirt, and a full cloak. 

 

      Like before, Maeve clutched for her short, leaf-bladed sword, and realized she had left it at home, along with her pistol and other weapons - but unlike before, when the Fallen raised his pistol to fire - she could still see the silver inlay, the decorative gold enhancements, and the polished cherry wood grip - Maeve didn’t try to shove Nile away...   NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!   Maeve screamed inside her mind ...she grabbed Nile and used him as a shield, without thinking.  Maeve had saved her life - at the cost of her brothers.   NOOOOOOOOO!   Her scream of guilt and pain was loud and long.

           

      The Hserite killer turned and fled, his cloak billowing out behind him.  Maeve screamed, and grabbed at Nile, his body already falling to the ground.  She plucked at the five-inch long dart of steel in his chest, and saw its poisoned tip.  Nile's lifesblood pumped from his chest's wound all over her, but he was already dead.  When Maeve had the presence of mind to try and pursue the killer, he was already gone, and beyond magical means to find.

 

      Maeve tried to deny it - tried with all her might, but knew deep inside that this was the truth, a truth that she couldn’t face so strongly, that her mage talent had hidden it from her own mind...  Whether to protect her, or salve her guilt she didn’t know.  It was true... It was all true.   Maeve felt damned.

 

*          *          *

 

      Nile!  I... I killed you...  Gods forgive me!   I killed my own brother!  Oh Gods!   Maeve screamed, both in her mind and in her body until her voice went hoarse - and somewhere inside she realized that she hadn’t lost faith in the Gods, because of what happened that day.  She had lost faith in herself...  All those missions for the church - all the dangers she faced, she faced because somewhere, inside, she wanted to die.   To sacrifice her life to try and make amends for her brother Nile, who she killed because she was afraid.

 

      So, Maeve... What did you see? Asked the demon, this time aloud as well as within her mind.  What evils did you perform that plague you so?  

 

      Maeve tried to speak, but the demon’s grasp around her throat was too tight - all that came out was a croaking groan.   It’s alright, Maeve - I’ll say if for you... You killed your brother, and you want to die.  Is that right?

 

      This is it.  Eric thought.   If I don’t do something now, Maeve is going to die.  Eric didn’t know if what he... she was going to do would work - but knew if she did nothing, Maeve would die in the worst way he could imagine.            

 

      It’s all right, Maeve.  You were always going to join us.   We live in the weak - the weak and the wounded.   It’s time to come with me, into the endless darkness!  You want to die?  LET ME HELP YOU!   As the demon spoke the last, its voice rose in volume, and dropped in timbre - it raised its talons to strike - and screamed in agony, as a bolt of coruscating light struck it, boiling away its spiritual flesh and bone like smoke. 

 

      Maeve fell roughly to the ground as the demon dropped her, and lay senseless, gasping for air.  I may want to die because of what I did, you evil piece of shit.  She thought. ...But I’ll decide when that day is - NOT YOU!   She tried to get up, but couldn’t.  All she could see was spots - her vision had gone gray when the demon was choking the life out of her.   She could barely gasp for air.

 

      The demon whirled - to see Eric, panting, tired.   White hot magic dripped from her hands as she summoned more energy to hurl at the fiend.   “Hey ugly!”  She yelled.   “Have some more, you fucking asshole!”   Eric threw more magical fire at the creature - and it screamed again as it burned, the white hot magical plasma sticking to it like jellied gasoline.

 

      The demon roared in pain - and began to charge Eric... until the commands that bound him pulled him back.   He couldn’t deal with Eric until Maeve was broken, body and soul - that was the command.  He turned back towards Maeve.

 

 

      God dammit this hurts!  Thought Eric.  I feel like I’m on fire!   I’m hurting him - but not enough.  What do I do?   Eric’s thoughts whirled about at what seemed like a thousand miles an hour.   Binding.  She thought.  That’s what I’m good at, right?   The forces that hold things together - or force them apart. She had an idea.

 

      Eric summoned what was left of her strength - and forced it all into one mighty push...  He took the energy and directed it all at the demon.  She felt aflame again - like she was burning.  Like the stars!  She thought... and then everything went black.           

 

      The demon, on the other hand felt nothing but pain - as every particle that made up his body - both physical and spiritual - ripped themselves apart in an orgy of atomic destruction.  In the space of less than a second, the demon was turned to ash - disintegrated.   Whether or not its spirit or soul, if it even possessed one, survived to reenter the void, was unknown.  It was utterly gone.

           

*          *          *

 

      Maeve lay prone on the ground, choking, gasping for breath.  She could see the demon, on fire, burning from raw magical energy being blasted into it.   NO!  She thought.  Eric, no!  Not for me, dammit!  I’m not worth it...   The demon turned to attack Eric - and then paused, and turned back towards Maeve.   Maeve made her peace with the Gods - she knew she would be seeing them soon.

 

      The demon poised to strike - and then something odd happened...  A beam of greenish white light shot from Eric’s open palm, and struck the demon.  The demon looked confused for a second, then it simply disappeared.  Gone - like it never existed.   All that was left was ashes.   Maeve stared in shock, her jaw dropped.   That’s not possible.  She thought.  Utterly impossible.

 

She staggered to her feet, and walked around the scorch mark that marked the ending place of the demon.  How?  Then she moved over to Kai, and heard him groan.  He’ll live... Thank the Gods!   Then she realized the state Eric was in.  Eric needs help...  I can deal with my guilt later.  Eric needs help now.   How much energy did she channel?  Maeve tried to calculate what kind of damage Eric might have done to herself - and didn’t want to think about it.   She simply prayed she would be alright.   She grabbed Eric and threw her over Kai’s horse, and leapt to the saddle.  We’re not far from Anvi’s - I pray I’m in time.  Goddess, hear my prayer!  Please save Eric, please!   She spurred the horse and rode as fast as she dared.

 

*          *          *

 

      Christine didn’t get far on her horse - never an expert rider, she made it about a quarter of a mile before a low-hanging branch knocked her down.   It was then, in the moments after she picked herself up, that she noticed she was alone.  Where the hell are Eric, Kai and Maeve?   She heard a woman’s scream back the way she came, and knew it was Maeve.   I’ve got to go back.  I’ve got to do something.   Christine knew it was stupid, and that there was probably nothing she could do - but she didn’t care.  “I can’t leave Eric and Kai to face that thing.   Hell, even Maeve doesn’t deserve to face it alone. I need to get back.”  Christine started to run back towards her friends.   I’m coming, guys!   

 

      She hadn’t got far, before she was nearly trampled by Maeve on Kai’s horse, with Eric - bleeding badly - tossed roughly across the saddle.   Ohmygod!  Is Eric going to be all right?  She thought.   Is the demon gone?  What happened to Kai?   Fearing the worst, and realizing she couldn’t catch a galloping horse, she raced back to the scene of their ambush, to see if Kai was alive or dead.

 

 

      When she got to the clearing, Kai was still prone, clutching his head and moaning.  There was blood on his scalp, and in the snow where his head had hit a rock.   Oh no!   Christine thought.  His poor head!   She rushed over to help Kai sit up - he looked woozy, and confused.  

 

      “Wha... What happened?”  Kai asked.   “Where’s Maeve?  Where’s the Demon?”

 

      “I don’t know about the demon - but Maeve was galloping as fast as she could towards Ogden town, with Eric tossed over her saddle.  Can you walk?”   She looked around, and saw signs of a battle - but no sign of large amounts of blood, or anything other than a large pile of ashes, blowing away on the wind.

 

      “I don’t know.”  Kai tried to stand, and nearly fell over - but managed after a minute or so, with Christine’s help to achieve a more-or-less upright stance.   “I think I can walk.  I can’t see straight, but I think I can walk.”  He said.

 

      “Good.  I don’t know what’s wrong with her or Eric, but she didn’t even slow down as she passed me.  It can’t be good.”  Please be all right.  She thought.  Please.   “We should go.   Where do you think they’re going?”

 

      “If I were hurt, I’d probably head to Anvi’s house, considering the town gates are probably shut tight till dawn.  I’d go to Anvi’s.” 

 

      Kai wobbled on his feet, and Christine grunted at the weight he put on her.  At least He’s lighter than Eric was... although I guess He’s not a butterball anymore.   “Then it looks like that’s where we’re going too.  Let’s go.”  It sounds like Kai has a nasty concussion at the very least.   I hope it’s not worse.   Hell, I hope he doesn’t black out - there’s no way I can carry him by myself.

 

      The two of them staggered slowly through the early spring night.

 

*          *          *

 

      Maeve pounded on the fine wooden door of Anvi’s cottage.  She could hear the ruckus was bothering some of the neighbors.  Screw them, she thought.  I’ll bake them a damn pie to say sorry.  “Anvi!  Open up, gods dammit!  I need you!”   A nearby dog started barking, and Maeve heard footsteps inside the small home.  

 

      “Dammit, Maeve!  Do you know what time it is?   The bounds of friendship go only so far!”  Anvi’s voice sounded tired, angry, and worried all at the same time.  The door lock unlatched, and Maeve pushed her way inside, carrying Eric over her shoulder and shoving Anvi aside.  

 

      “Maeve, who the hell do you think you are?  This isn’t some random hospital!   What happened to common courtesy?”    Anvi looked more than a little angry - but then he saw the young woman Maeve carried, his angry tone faded.  It was obvious he didn’t realize she was Eric.   “What in the seven hells happened, Maeve?  Or can you tell me?”  Even as he asked, he grabbed for his herb pouch and a storm lamp to better examine the patient Maeve had brought him.

 

      “She’s been Kissed by the Void, hard Anvi.  She saved my life.  If you can, please - save hers.”

 

 

      “I’ll try. Get out of my way, woman.”  Anvi shoved Maeve out of the way, and put Eric on the kitchen table.   As he examined her, he activated the Sight.   Anvi had learned battlefield medicine many years ago, in the Madragan wars.   A nasty fall had broken his hip and ended his horseback riding days, but time had withered none of his healing skills.  In time, he moved north and west to Ogden town, and set up shop as a healer.  It was a good life - occasionally marred by unexpected visitors - like the last few nights.   “She has been Kissed, badly.  As badly as I ever saw.”  He grasped her head in his hands - skin contact made the spell more powerful - and concentrated.   His mouth spoke the words of Body - that binds the flesh and spirit together - and strengthened her body enough that she would not die. 

 

      Maeve watched fearfully as Anvi worked his magic, and saw color come back into Eric’s face, and the worst of the damage seemed to fade from her as Anvi used his skill to erase wounds that might have killed her, or caused permanent injury.   Anvi had always been one of the best of the healers Maeve had ever known - it was a shame he’d had to retire from his injury - she knew he loved to ride horses, even now.

 

      Anvi let go of Eric, and stepped back.  “She’ll live, I think.”  He said.  “So what the hell happened, Maeve?  You look like shit.”   

 

      Maeve couldn’t help but laugh - at first hysterically, but then, more naturally, with her morgue humor.   “It’s been a really, really long day.”

 

      “Not just for you, Maeve.  What’s going on?  Where’s Kai - and Eric and Christine?  Did they ever find you?”  Anvi looked worried - he knew of Maeve’s tendency to get the people around her killed.  It was a nasty rumor that followed her around like a bad penny.

 

      “Yes... they’re fine, or should be.  Like I said, it’s a long story.”

 

      “Well, then.”  A third voice said - Anvi’s wife, Maria had apparently heard the ruckus and come downstairs.  Her hair was mussed, and she was still in her nightshirt.   “Perhaps we should put on a kettle for some tea, and talk while we wait for your friend to wake up.”

 

      Maeve looked like she wanted to do anything but talk - but Maria and Anvi had put up with a lot of trouble for her recently.  I owe them that much.   She thought.     “Okay, but I warn you - it’s a strange story, and not for the faint of heart...”   She sat and began the tale as Maria put on a kettle, and Anvi sat across from her, listening.   She was still telling it when Kai and Christine came to the door, a half hour later.

     

6