Chapter 20 – Church Sermons
187 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      Erica stalked sort-of quietly through the woods, still struggling to keep twigs and brittle creepers from snagging the wool of her skirt or strands of her hair.  Walking without stepping on all these damn twigs isn’t exactly easy, either, she thought.  We’re in a forest - its bloody well made of twigs!  She kept going, trying to follow the trail Kai had left for her and Christine to follow, cursing as another strand of hair got yanked by an errant twig.  At this rate I’ll be bald before summer!  At least Christine seems to be doing better.

 

      Christine was a few paces ahead of Erica, trying to follow the trail with her.  She seemed to be marginally better at this - more because Erica was still building up her strength and balance, than because of any real desire or motivation.  

 

      To Erica, she seemed to be going through the motions, and learning the skills because Kai expected the both of them to try - but she wasn’t in to it, like Erica was.   Which is really frustrating, because I’m trying really hard, and sucking just as hardIt really stinks being so damn weak and wobbly all the time.  At least chopping wood is helping, I think... 

 

      “You okay back there?”  Christine asked.   “You’re making more noise than I am for Pete’s sake.”  Christine seemed to be managing with all the twigs and grabby dead vines better partially because her hair was much shorter, and because she was wearing her jeans from Earth today.  The day before, she had suffered a nasty fall and gotten so muddy as a result, she refused to wear the woolen clothes again until they were washed - which is what they were supposed to do when they got back to Kai’s cabin later today.

 

      “Easy for you to say.”  Erica growled.  “At least your hair doesn’t go down to your butt.  It’s like these stupid branches are burrs or something.”

 

      “You should have let me show you how to braid it or put it up.”  Christine laughed.  “Seriously, either that or you’ll need to cut it off or something.” 

 

      Erica considered for a moment whether it would be worth it to just hack the long hair off, but decided against it.   It takes so long for hair to grow, I don’t want to do something I’ll regret later.  It’s a pain, sure - but I might want it longer once I get used to it - and I can always cut it short later if I decide against it.   “Maybe you’re right.”  She admitted.  “But I still think we lost the trail back at the fallen log.”

 

      Christine paused.  “I don’t think so...  See that mark over on the tree - that looks like one of Kai’s marks.  I think we’re still on the right trail.”   Christine pointed over at a tall ballnut tree that had a small ‘x’ cut into its outer bark.   “Let’s look for the next marker.”

                                   

      Erica grunted, and yanked the hank of her hair stuck on a twig free, and climbed the small rise to where Christine stood.  Looking around, she started to see the first signs of what must pass for spring here in Mercia.   The snow on the ground was light - perhaps one or two centimetres, and melting fairly quickly.  The last few days had had light fog in the morning - probably due to the warming weather mixing with the remaining snow on the ground.

 

      What’s amazing is how few footprints Kai can leave on this muddy ground.  We’ve been wandering around out here for an hour, and still haven’t found him.   Erica scowled.  Kai had been teaching the two of them woodcraft by example - and they needed to find the end of the trail before noon or they would have to endure another lecture on being one with the forest - which drove Christine batty.   Erica didn’t mind hearing it at all again - it kind of made her feel like she was in Avatar, learning about the forest - minus the giant blue cat people and space marines.  What she did mind was Christine’s whinging about it.  It wasn’t quite whining - but only just, and it was getting tiresome.   I get it... You don’t want to be here, and I’m sorry about that, but whining isn’t going to get us home any faster for god’s sake!

 

            Erica scanned the terrain with Christine, and a few moments later saw something.  “I think I see something!”   Erica walked over to a few bent blades of grass poking up through the snow; the snow itself had been disturbed, but there were no footprints.  “I think he came this way - some grass is bent, and He’s tried to cover his tracks a bit.”

 

      “WOOT!”  Christine laughed.  “Way to go, Erica!  We can’t be far now!”   The two followed the trail left by Kai for several more minutes - and came to the edge of a small clearing, where they saw Kai, quietly plucking a partridge. 

     

      “We finally found you!”  Erica laughed.  “Are we doing any better?” 

 

      Kai looked up and smiled.  “Indeed you are - both of you.  You were markedly faster this time - you’re both improving.”   He gathered up the partridge feathers into a small bag, and picked up the partially plucked bird.  “We should head back.  As good as the day has been, I smell the touch of rain in the air, and there’s no need for us to get soaked without cause.  Besides, we can put the time to good use with more language lessons.”  He waited for Christine’s expected groaning - but was surprised when it didn’t come.

 

      “Not groaning, Christine?   I thought you hated learning Valdan.  You usually complain about it more.”  Kai asked, half expecting Christine to become angry for assuming she’s whinge.

 

      “I don’t know... I’m still not keen on it, but at least I’m picking up some of it faster than I was.”  Christine looked a little nonplussed about it.  “In fact, I don’t think I should be picking up on it this fast...  It took me four years of French lessons and a year in French-immersion to get even partially fluent.”  It really is weird. 

 

      “Well, I don’t know what French is - other than one of your worlds languages - but from what you’ve said it’s not the easiest to learn.  I think what you might be experiencing is from the secondary effects of the Translation amulet.”

 

      “Secondary effects?”  Erica said.  “Are we going to get brain cancer from them?”

 

      “Erica!”  Christine snorted.  “Brain cancer!  Really?!”

 

      Kai laughed.  “No brain cancer, I promise.   Maeve and I didn’t mention the secondary effects of the amulets before now because, well, it wasn’t important at the time.  I suppose now it is?  What you may not have known is that the translation amulets help your brain learn a language by enhancing its ability to assimilate words, accents, and so on.  With powerful amulets, like the ones Anvi let us borrow, wearing one for a month or so is almost as good for learning a language as living in the society speaking it for a year.   That’s why they’re so valuable - and why Anvi wants them back as soon as possible.  They cost a bloody fortune.”

 

      “How much is that?  Are we wearing enough to buy a house on our necks?  Or is it more - or less?”  Christine asked.  

 

 

      “If I had to hazard a guess, I’d say the each of those amulets is worth enough to buy a luxurious six to eight-bedroom mansion with a huge yard in Arathel or Orovar’s upper city - which is quite a lot of money.  One could probably buy any three or four houses in Wethom, if you were to get even value, for one of those amulets.” 

 

      “Holy shit!”  Christine exclaimed.  “That is a lot.”  I’m going to have to be REALLY careful with this thing.   Losing it would put Maeve or Kai into hock for the rest of their life maybe.  If they didn’t try to take it out on me...

 

      “Yeah, wow.  That’s a huge amount of money.  Anvi must really trust Maeve.”  Erica looked a little stunned by the amount of money...  Her father Anders had always been wealthy, but he as Eric had only really benefited from it when he was young - before he really knew how much money was worth.  Since he was fifteen or so, he’d been living hand to mouth on the street, so he knew how much money that really was - and how lavish and risky a favor Anvi had done for Maeve.

 

      “It’s more a matter of debts.”  Kai said as they walked through the woods towards his cabin.  “They met years ago, on a battlefield in Madragoor.  Anvi was working as a battlefield medic in the Madragan wars - he was with the armies of the First magnate, and Maeve was doing her usual shit disturbing.  Things went to hell, as they usually did - and in the chaos, Maeve saved Anvi’s life - and introduced him to Maria.  The rest is history, as they say - and although Maeve may collect on favors quite often, she repays them just as quickly - and often with extra.  I guess she figures that she may need to collect again, one day so it’s wise to pay forward, after a fashion.”

 

      They walked for a while in silence, while Christine and Erica tried to process what Kai had said.  It was obvious Maeve knew a lot of people, and a lot of people owed her favors.  I wonder how many people she’s tried to help before?  Thought Christine.  And how many of those survived to owe her a favor, and how many did not?   “Do things usually get messy when Maeve gets involved?”

 

      Kai frowned.  “When you put it like that, it makes it sound like she’s incompetent or trying to cause chaos...  She usually does what she has to do, then gets out – it’s just sometimes she stumbles onto things that are well, bigger than expected - so when she does what she has to do, it tends to get messy.”

 

      Any further conversation was forestalled by the trio arriving back at Kai’s cabin.  “Let’s get settled inside - this bird won’t pluck itself, and you two can practice speaking while I finish it off.   Erica, could you put a pot of water on?”

 

      “Sure.”  Erica wiped the mud off her boots and got the heavy kettle in both hands, and started lifting it to the fire.  They had left a large amount of snow in it earlier to melt - and it seemed to have done just that while they were out.   With the snow mostly melted, I guess we’re going to have to get water from the well soon.  Erica wasn’t looking forward to cranking up water by the bucket - her arms ached enough chopping wood - but she looked forward to carrying water from a creek a whole lot less.

 

      Christine cleaned off her boots as well, and went to sit down.  The air smelled like fresh bread - it always did lately - and it reminded her of visiting her Aunt Millicent before she passed away; it always smelled like fresh baking.   Funny, my house hasn’t smelled like that ever - and yet it’s the same house Aunt Millie lived in.  Maybe I should have spent more time enjoying time in the house, instead of working?  I used to like baking... I wonder what happened?   She snorted.  Work happened - the daily routine took up twelve hours of her day - followed by her coming home and collapsing in front of the TV, with a microwave dinner in the oven.   Was my life always so bland and boring?  It made Christine feel kind of homesick.

     

     

      Erica got the huge kettle over to the hearth and started warming, and then came over and sat by Christine.  “So what are we learning today?”

 

      Kai threw his coat on a peg, and sat down on a chair across from the two women; the partially plucked bird on a small table beside it.  “I was thinking I’d get you both to recite some words, and use them in simple sentences if you can.  If that goes well, we’ll see if we can graduate up to a short conversation or better.  Loser makes dinner.”  He started plucking the partridge, while waiting for the two women to remove their magical amulets. 

 

      This time Christine groaned...

 

*          *          *

 

      Later that evening,  Erica and Kai were washing up the dinner dishes - Christine made dinner so it seemed only fair.   The soapy water was fairly hot, and Erica’s hands looked red from the heat.  Christine watched the two toil over the dishes - enjoying the break while Kai struggled to keep up the pace at drying Erica was setting at washing.   It’s nice to see them busting their ass for a change, Christine thought.

 

      Of course, there’s that other problem I’ve been putting off.  Christine thought.  Mother nature sucks sometimes.  “Umm Kai?  I know you’re probably not the right person to ask this, but Maeve’s not here right now...  What do women use to umm... keep clean during their period - when they bleed - here?”

     

      “Ewww!  Christine!”  Erica said, making a face.

 

      Christine looked exasperated with Erica.  “Don’t ewww me, missy - unless there’s something wrong with you, you’re going to have a period soon too, you know!   And although that’s officially the strangest thing I’ve ever said about my BFF’s little brother, I still need to know what to use.”  Erica looked kind of green at Christine’s admonishment, as she realized what she was in for.

 

      Kai blushed red all the way to his ears, and stammered out a response to Christine.  “I um... I don’t know.  My sister had some things in her room, but I think... um... you’d want to get your own... uh...umm.”  Kai looked more than a bit uncomfortable.  “I’m sorry - I’m not used to talking about such things.  Cinny didn’t talk to me about that stuff much.”

 

      “I take it Cinny is your sister?”  Christine said.  “Which room is hers?” 

 

      Kai went from embarrassed, to somber.  “Erica’s room was... Cinny died three and a half years ago.”

 

      Erica and Christine both looked shocked and appalled.  “I’m so sorry Kai.”  Christine said.  “I didn’t mean to bring up bad memories.”  Erica looked like she felt exactly the same way.

 

      “No... It’s okay.”  Kai said.  “It was a long time ago.  I’m... I’m not really ready to talk about it.  The cedar chest in Erica’s room has some of her clothes and personal stuff - I couldn’t bear to go through it after she died, and since then its just stayed there.”  Kai looked like he was remembering whatever happened to his sister - he looked somber and sad.

 

      Kai stood in thought for a while, while Erica finished up the dishes.  Erica gave his hand a squeeze, and went to sit down.   Christine looked a bit uncomfortable for bringing up such an unexpectedly unwelcome topic.

     

     

      Whatever Kai was mulling over, he snapped out of it.  “I was going to mention we needed to get to bed early so we can make the trip to Wethom tomorrow...  This just means we have another reason to go.”  He smiled a little sadly at Erica and Christine.  “Don’t be upset - you couldn’t have known about my sister.”

 

      “Why were we going to town tomorrow?”  Erica asked.

 

      “For church, originally, and then the town market afterwards.  Now I guess we’ll need to stop by Genna Hateger’s shop as well - she’s a herbalist.  She should know what you need.”   He paused a moment.  “I know what I’m about to ask is not really in my nature, but do you think we should try to keep a low profile?  Until Maeve gets back and tells us what’s going on with the Hierarchs?”

 

      “I don’t know.”  Said Erica.  “How do we keep a low profile?  Wear hooded cloaks into church?   Maybe we should just stay home and not go.”

 

      “Absolutely not.”  Kai said.  He looked shocked, and a bit angry - like he had been seriously offended.  “If you’re staying here, then you’re going to church with me.  Period.”

 

      “Whoa!  We didn’t say we wouldn’t go - we just asked if it was an option to stay home.”

Christine said, trying to mollify Kai.   “I didn’t know it was such a big thing for you.”

 

      “Of course it’s a big thing - it’s a big thing for everybody.  Don’t you have your own gods, back on your world?  Don’t you worship them?”  Kai was still a bit incensed, but less so as he started to realize this was probably another one of those ‘we’re from different places with different customs’ sort of things.

 

      It was Christine’s turn to be a bit embarrassed - and guilty.   I can’t think of the last time I went to Mass.  She thought.  Its been months - maybe even a year.   It’s been difficult going to church, when my job exhausts me so much, all I want to do is lie in bed and sleep in.   I believe in God - I guess I just figured I’d have time for Him later...  “We do worship our Gods - but obviously not as fervently as Valdan’s do theirs.   You know how we seemed surprised that your Gods bestow powers and miracles on the faithful - well they don’t back home.   They haven’t for a very long time - and I think because of that, a lot of people have fallen away from their faith, if they even had it to begin with.  When you combine that with a government that actively tries to exclude faith from governance, you start to get a picture of our people.”

 

      “It sounds like a people who have lost their way.”  Kai said.  “I don’t know anything about your homeland, I’ll give you that - but I think people need something larger than themselves to believe in - something that is eternal, and which cares for them.   If they don’t have that, then what is the point in anything?   We need to know there is someone there watching over us... Why?  I don’t know - perhaps it goes back to when we were children, and our parents were there to tuck us in to bed at night... So we would feel safe, and loved - and not alone.   I think that’s important to humanity.  Important enough not to throw it away because the government says it’s inconvenient...  Maybe you should get a better government?”

 

      “I think you’re right, Kai - and I think that’s a skewed image of North America, Christine.  A lot of people in North America are religious - and they practice it all the time - but I think it’s more accurate to say a large number of people are agnostic or atheist - rather than the majority, which was how I kind of took your statement.”  Erica chipped in.  “I know my mom took me to church most sundays - and my dad almost never came; he was always too busy with other things.  I think it depends on the individual.”

 

 

      “That’s well and good, I suppose.”  Kai said.  “But I expect you to come with me tomorrow, and take part in the service.  You don’t have to pray if you don’t want to - but it’s an important part of our life here in Valris, and I intend to be there.   And since I need to keep an eye on you both, you need to be there too.”

 

      Christine nodded.  “I never said I wouldn’t go, Kai.  I’m sure that Erica and I will find it very interesting at the very least.”

 

      “I know I’m interested in learning more about ... umm... Isundal and Askeline and the Twins?   I mean, I think I met one of them when I died.  I’d like to know more.”  Erica said.  “Did I forget any of them?”

 

      Kai smiled.  “No, Erica - you got them all.  The Twins are Feana and Hathor, but there are other gods and goddesses Mercian’s hold dear as well - but those four are the ones Valdans hold most dear.  Madragans hold Morian and Miyaga dear, while Adinor and Erinor watch over all of nature, and are venerated by farmers and fishermen alike.  The Dark Three and their worshippers plague all the people of Mercia - Hrask, Lady Delirium, and The Dark One; only criminals, zealots and madmen follow the Three.”

 

      “Umm... that’s a lot to take in at once.”  Erica said.  “I’m probably not going to remember all of those names.  You won’t be mad if I don’t, will you?”

 

      “Haha... no, I won’t be mad.  I expect if you tried to roll off a dozen names of the Gods of your homeland, I’d be just as lost.  Try not to lose any sleep over it.”

 

      Christine stood up, and stretched, yawning.  “Well if we’re going to get up early, I need to kidnap Erica for a bit!”

 

      Erica looked a bit confused.  “Me?  Why?”

 

      “Swimming lessons, of course!”

 

      “What!?  Okay - I’m confused.”  Erica shrugged.  “I’m coming, but I don’t know what you mean.”  Erica got up, and followed Christine, who had headed into Erica’s room.

 

      “Well, I’ll leave you two to swim or whatever you plan on doing.”  Kai said.  “Just try to get enough sleep to be up early - we’ll need to clean up before we go, and we’ll have a bit of a walk since the horse can’t carry all three of us.  I’m off to bed - goodnight you two.”

 

      “Good night!”  Erica called out, followed by Christine as well.

 

      Erica came into her room, to see Christine going through a cedar chest.  I guess this was Cinny’s room.  I didn’t know.  “Hey Christine... whatcha doing?  Is that Cinny’s stuff?”  She went and sat on her bed - there wasn’t enough room in the small bedroom to get them both over near the cedar chest - it was tucked into a corner behind a chair.

 

      “Looking to see what, if anything, they might have used for tampons or sanitary napkins.”

 

      “I don’t know about you, but that’s not the sort of thing I think women put in a cedar chest, is it?”  Erica asked.  “It sounds like something they’d put in their dresser where they could get at it when they need it, right?”

 

      Christine sighed.  “Yeah, you’re probably right, Erica.  Still, I’m going to finish looking.”   Christine pulled out a duo of thick, warm looking sweaters, a fancy white dress covered with elaborate stitching and embroidery with matching shoes, another dress - slightly less fancy, and done in green silk and velvet, a plush bathrobe, and some scarves, mitts, and other miscellaneous clothing bibs and bobs.  “I think you’re right - none of this stuff looks like what we’ll need.  I guess we’ll have to wait until we get to town.”

 

      “So what’s this about swimming lessons then?”  Erica asked.

 

      “Remember a few days ago, when you said you felt like you’d been thrown into the deep end of the pool, and didn’t know how to swim...  I didn’t want to bring it up with Kai there, in case you were embarrassed, but I thought you might need to start learning some basic stuff.”  If this is getting weird for me, I wonder how it’s getting for him... I mean her. 

 

      “Uhh... are you saying what I think you’re saying?  Because if you are, I... I am a little embarrassed talking about it.”   That’s putting it mildly.  Erica thought.  But I’m really grateful I’m getting it.  There’s so much I don’t know. 

 

      “Me too, kiddo.  Me too.”  Christine exhaled through tense lips, looking like she was psyching herself up.  “Okay - I’m not sure where to start, so I’ll tell you what my mom told me when I started puberty...  Feel free to ask questions, if you have any - I can’t promise I have all the answers, but I’ll try to answer what I can, okay?”

 

      Erica gulped and nodded... It was going to be a long night.

     

*          *          *

 

      By mid-morning the next day, Kai, Christine and Erica were well on their way back to Wethom.  Kai was dressed in what seemed to the others his Sunday best - a green and black woolen kilt, with a fox-fur sporran topped with silver buttons, a grey wool shirt topped with a sash to match the kilt, and a broad leather belt with an ornate silver buckle.  Kai’s sash had a beautiful silver brooch on it, whose design matched the belt-buckle.  He even polished his leather boots that morning - the scuff marks of heavy travel were much reduced to the point of hardly being noticeable.

 

      He looks halfway presentable, thought Christine.  Even if he kind of looks like he walked off the set of Braveheart.   Erica and I don’t look half as nice – which isn’t surprising, considering our limited means.  Still, we shouldn’t embarrass him...  Christine didn’t think they would - she and Erica had each bathed that morning before Kai had risen, and done their best at washing and drying their hair with what was available.  Combined with about a half hour of brushing Erica’s hair, and another half hour dressing neatly in the best outfits they had, they should look at least presentable.   Christine had a red woolen skirt and jacket, and a nice white linen top decorated with some embroidery.  Erica had a purple skirt and jacket, with a similar top as well, topped by a grey cloak - she found the cold more troublesome than Christine did.

 

      They had been walking about two and a half hours and Erica was getting fatigued.  Christine and Kai didn’t show much sign of tiredness, but Erica was really feeling it - and didn’t want to complain about her discomfort.   Dammit, my leg muscles haven’t regained as much strength as I would hope. Erica thought.  Then again, I don’t know how long my body was asleep as a dreamer.  I suppose I’m lucky I can walk without help at all!   Don’t people in comas lose their ability to do a lot of things?   I guess I should thank Seleni for healing me enough to move...it really is a miracle!

 

 

      Erica didn’t really know what to think about her miracle - she was glad at being alive, and glad to be in the body she was in - but like Kai said a few days ago, she wasn’t sure why the goddess hadn’t just healed her old body instead.  The entire situation was unsettling and awe-inspiring at the same time.  Erica felt honoured, to be sure - but also worried.  How are you supposed to react when a deity visits a divine miracle on you?  Pray?  Would she be offended, since I’m not part of her flock?  Why did she help me, instead of someone else?  What makes me worthy of all this? What would God think back home if I thanked her - would I be pissing Him off?  This is really a messed up situation.

 

      She was so lost in her thoughts, that when they came within sight of Wethom, she didn’t notice until Christine gently shook her shoulder.  “We’re almost there kiddo - we can take a break in a minute.”  

 

      Kai gave Erica a quick glance as well.  She’s been trying really hard to keep up.  It must be exhausting!   I was planning on at least one break as soon as she asked, but she made it all the way here without one.   Kai was impressed.   “There a few benches near the fountain in the town square - we could rest there for a few moments before church, if you like.  My feet are getting a bit tired, frankly.”

 

      “That would be great.”  Erica said with some relief.  She was tired and a quick rest would help a great deal.

 

      As the trio approached the Tree gate of Wethom, they could see a collection of people and horse-drawn carts by the gate waiting for admittance.  The guards were doing as they usually did - making sure the people entering the town weren’t scruffy bandits, and collecting the gate taxes.  The people outside the gate seemed mostly like farmers and their wives and children, or the odd trapper and huntsman - although none dressed so nicely as Kai.

 

      One of the huntsmen called out to Kai, “Well met, Kai - it’s been a while.  I see you’re back from haring around the countryside with that Maeve character... and with two lovely young ladies to boot.   Care to introduce me?”   He was a handsome sort - in his early twenties with a mop of unruly black hair that he had attempted to comb neatly, and a roguish grin that had assuredly won over the ladies in the past.

 

      Kai laughed.  “This incorrigible charmer is Baird Candlow.  His profession is getting into trouble, and his hobby is hunting, when he gets around to it.   Baird, these lovely ladies are Christine and Erica.  They’re staying with me until Maeve gets back from Arathel.  They’re... not from around here.”  Kai’s tone, although mostly affable, had an edge to it that seemed to warn Baird off.

     

      “Well it’s a pleasure!”  Baird stepped up and bowed gently to Christine, and then to Erica.  He took Erica’s hand and brushed his lips across its back - and did the same with Christine.   Erica blushed red as her hair - and Baird was pleased to note that Christine did a good impression of being a bit flustered as well.

 

      Kai stepped between Baird and Christine.  “That’s enough, Baird - we’ve been hiking a long while, and Erica is exhausted.  We’re going to the fountains to rest - if you want to keep bothering the ladies, you can follow us.”

 

      “He wasn’t bothering us.”  Christine said, and surprisingly she meant it.  She wasn’t swooning, by any means - but it was kind of nice to be treated so chivalrously, after the rustic easygoing ways of Kai this last week. 

 

 

      “I would love to,” Baird said.  “But I can’t.  My mother demands I visit with her first, since she usually can’t pin me down after her Grace’s service is done.  If I don’t come by and play nice, I’ll have hell to pay.”

 

      Kai laughed.  “Your mother, Miera, has always been feisty like that - which is good, or else she’d never keep you in line.  Go on then.”

 

      By then the crowd had thinned, and the three of them were next at the gate. When their turn came, Kai dug in his sporran to find the coins to pay the tax, and soon they were through - but not before Erica noticed a fair number of the guards had been staring at her.  Is that normal?  Do I look alright?  Why are they staring?  She still wasn’t used to the reaction her attractiveness had on people.

 

      As they made their way through the streets, the entire town seemed to be bustling.  Dozens of people dressed in fine clothes made their way towards the center of town, along with a few beggars who had little more than rags.  Christine and Erica could see entire families cheerfully heading towards the town center for church.  To their modern eyes, it seemed a little odd.  Most people back home have to drag their kids kicking and screaming to church.  Christine thought.  It’s a little weird seeing so many people coming so eagerly. 

 

      Kai cut a path across the flow of foot-traffic and headed to a large stone fountain at the intersection of two main streets.  The fountain was of white stone, and at its center was a bronze statue of an armored woman bearing a spear, mounted on a rearing horse.   Water poured from spigots at the statues base and a large bronze plaque adorned the fountain, with indecipherable writing upon it.

 

      “What does the plaque say, Kai?”  Erica asked as she eagerly grabbed a spot on a stone bench to rest her weary legs.  “I can’t read it - but I think I almost could... it’s weird.” 

 

      “It’s not too surprising.  The translation amulets are teaching you how to speak our tongue - but they’ll also slowly teach you to read our tongue as well - assuming you can read your own language.  Not everyone here can, but you both seem more educated than the average person here, in your own way.   If they hold true to past experience, by the time we have to return them, you should be able to speak and probably read and write our language, albeit with some difficulty until you practice.”

 

      “That’s really cool!”  Erica looked interested.  “Can the necklace do multiple languages?”

 

      “I don’t know.”  Kai answered.  “Depends on its strength, I guess.  Probably - although I don’t know which tongues those necklaces in particular are keyed to.   And to answer your previous question, the statue above the fountain is commemorating Lady Nexter’s Ride - where Lady Nexter, a Holy warrior of Askeline, led three hundred Valdan warriors in a pitched battle against three times that size  of Harvon and Wolfen raiders in the region three hundred and fifty years ago.   The raiders were menacing Wethom, and would have burned it to the ground if not for her heroic sacrifice and the valor of her troops.   She saved the town - and so they honored her with this statue, so that all of us will remember her sacrifice.”

 

      Christine and Erica looked at the statue for a few moments, and then turned away to watch the crowd.  More and more people were heading to the center of town - the square they were resting in seemed to be a few blocks away from where everyone was heading.  It looked to them like the whole town was going to be there!   The sheer percentage of people heading to the church baffled and surprised them both.  They could see the steeples of the church in the distance, and could hear the toll of church bells beginning to play. 

 

 

      They sat for a few moments more, before Kai stood and asked “Erica, if you’re able, we should head over to the church.  Do you need a few more minutes?”  Kai held out his hand to help her up, in case she was able.   “We don’t want to be late.”

 

      Erica mulled it over a moment.  I am feeling a lot better, she thought.  She took Kai’s hand, smiling.  “Yeah, I think I can keep going.”  Kai helped her up, and the two stood for a moment, hands grasped before Kai released her hand a bit nervously.

 

      “Good.  We should get going then.”

 

      “Agreed.”  Christine stood up, and smoothed her skirts a bit.  They weren’t the only people in the square who were sitting near the fountains, or heading towards the church.   He probably wants to get a decent seat.  A valid concern if the entire damn town is going... What did he say the population was here?  Fourteen hundred or so?   It’s going to be packed if they all show up.

 

      Together, the three of them crossed the street and headed towards the temple.  Reechi and Humans alike were streaming towards the church, which seemed to Erica and Christine to be of a size comparable to a large church back home, even if its construction seemed a little foreign - which wasn’t too surprising. 

 

      The church itself was made of light gray stone, and seemed to be rectangular in shape, with a large bell tower at one of the narrow ends of the building.   The grey stone walls were broken up by exquisite stained-glass windows whose subject matter was hard to tell from the outside.  The bell tower was where the main entrance was located - a pair of wide oaken doors, flanked by four warriors dressed in gleaming plate and chain armor.  One had a green sash, one a yellow sash, and the remaining two a blue sash.  Their swords were drawn and held at a salute, gripped in their hands as if ready to be used.

 

      They look like knights!  Erica thought.  “Kai, are they expecting trouble?  Why have armed guards at the church?”   Christine looked a bit confused as well, which made Erica feel a bit better - and less stupid.

 

      “Huh?  No - no one’s expecting trouble.  That’s normal.”  Kai said.  “The guards are there to defend the faithful from attack, so that we can worship in peace.  It’s a ceremonial thing from a long, long time ago, when all our people were slaves of the Hserinyar.  It’s to show we won’t be taken unawares, ever again.”

 

      “Slaves?  Of the same people that Vargas worked for?”  Christine asked.  “I take it this is some of the non-essential stuff in your history we haven’t really had time to learn?”

 

      “Yes, pretty much - although I suspect if you listen today, you’ll learn a bit more.  We’re approaching one of our holy days - Isultane, where we make offerings to Isundal, to celebrate his triumph over Winter, and the beginning of Spring.   In fact, I need to pick up a few things after the ceremony to bring back with us, in case we’re on the road with Maeve when the holiday occurs.”

 

      “Don’t forget why else we’re here.”  Christine said politely.

 

      Kai nodded, going red.  “I won’t.”   You can be damn sure I won’t forget.  I thought I’d die of embarrassment when you asked about your moon-days.  Men don’t usually speak of such things... Maeve must have been very distracted about something to not realize she might need to speak to you about this.  Then again, she could have just figured I’m a big boy now and could figure it out.  I hope Maeve is okay.

 

 

      As they approached the door, they say within the doors of the bell tower a pair of priestesses wearing dark green robes with silver trim were anointing people with a liquid on their forehead as they came in.  Erica and Christine could hear the two, saying a short prayer over each person entering.  “May the Twins watch over you,” and “They are your buckler and sword.”  Then it was their turn, and the two priestesses touched their foreheads with their thumbs, and left a daub of scented oil upon it.  It smelled of lavender.  Then they were past the priestesses, and into the hall of the church itself.  There were stairs to an upper floor, which a few people were taking - but most were staying on the ground floor.  

 

      The mid-morning sun was streaming through the stained-glass windows, revealing what was at once a series of breathtakingly beautiful windows, and a series of religious scenes which, although they seemed to have great significance to the flock of people inside the church, didn’t mean much to Erica or Christine yet.   The church’s floor was tiled in white ceramic tiles, and the ceiling was high and vaulted.  Aside from the sun streaming through the stained-glass, there were lanterns placed in the darker areas to illuminate the chamber.   In the area where Christine and Erica expected to be an altar, there were in fact, three altars as well as a hearth lit with a blazing fire.   The hearth was at the exact center of the room, and all the seats were arrayed around it - sort of like a sports stadium or a roman amphitheatre, except that the seats were all on the same level, not elevated as one retreated to the back of the chamber.

 

      The priest tending the hearth was dressed in a yellow robe, and adorned with a white sash and a mask of gold, which concealed his entire face save his mouth, which revealed a neatly trimmed beard.  The mask was ornately carved to resemble a sun, complete with rays radiating out from the face.   There were also three priestesses performing some prayers at the altar - an older, distinguished woman in a black robe with white trim, and two women who were in their late twenties, wearing red robes trimmed with white.  The older woman in black seemed to be in charge.

 

      The church was bustling with people - there must have easily been several hundred people in the church, which although not quite full to capacity, seemed to be doing a good job of trying.  A few people were looking their way, but neither Kai nor Erica and Christine seemed to notice as they made their way through the aisles to find a mostly unoccupied pew.   Most of the crowd seemed to be humans - but Christine and Erica could easily make out at least a hundred Reechi, and possibly one or two creatures that might be the Wolfen that Kai spoke of.  Most of the people seemed cheerful and pleasant - aside from the usual cranky babies and distracted small children eager to go play. 

 

      Kai apparently found the pew he was looking for, and waved the two women over.  Erica and Christine followed quickly to find a seat.  As they sidled down the aisle to their chosen pew, the three noticed that many of the people sitting around them were whispering and gossiping, which was probably normal - it was only the content of today’s gossip that was disturbing.  The murmur of the crowd talking lowly bothered Erica’s head - the background susurrus of voices was a little too much like the voices she used to deal with all the time on Earth, minus the creepy demon chatter.

 

      As the three sat down, they nodded to their neighbors in the pew - two older women on Kai’s left - probably in their late forties or early fifties, and a young man and his girlfriend on Christine’s right.   One of the two older ladies turned to Kai and said, “Did you hear?  They say a Dreamer has awoken in Ogden town, just a week ago!  Do you think it’s true?”

 

        Another man in the pew in front of them turned towards them, looking assured.  “I heard its true - and that the Dreamer was a pretty girl.  A messenger came to the Grey Minstrel while I was keeping the bar, and claimed it was true.  Said he had to take the news to Orovar and Arathel first thing.  I don’t expect anyone would be daft enough to lie about something like that.”

     

     

      Erica looked more than a little nervous, being the unwitting target of all this attention, and tried to shrink into her cloak and fade from view.   It didn’t help much other than make her look shy and nervous.  Christine didn’t say anything, but saw Erica’s nervous jitters, and gave her hand a squeeze in support.  Kai looked just as nervous, like perhaps he was thinking it might not have been a good idea to come to church today after all?

 

            Maybe we should have stayed home?  Kai thought.  I never thought the news would travel this fast - but I guess when news is this bad - or good, depending on your viewpoint - it travels fast.  Damn it!   When he looked at Erica, he could see her trying to hide in her cloak as well.   Great - Erica looks really frightened.   Torn with indecision, Kai tried to decide if it was worth trying to stay for the church ceremony or not.  He gave her hand a squeeze as reassurement.

 

      Meanwhile the two older ladies seemed to take the other man at his word, and were busy spreading the juicy gossip to others within earshot.  Christine could hear other people whispering about what other goings on at Ogden town as well - especially about the traitorous Bishop Vargas Elm.   I bet it was Sir Andred who was spreading the news - or at least was the person responsible for hiring the messenger.  Christine thought.  He was reacting strangely ever since Eric woke up as the dreamer girl.

      

      Before anyone could say much more, a chorus of male and female voice sprung into song - obviously their version of a choir.  Christine obviously didn’t know the psalm, but everyone else seemed to, and the gossiping died quickly as the last stragglers took their seats.   Kai and Erica looked equally relieved at the reprieve given them by the choir.  People started to stand, one by one, until the whole congregation was on its feet.  This lasted the length of the hymn, at which point the elder priestess in black addressed the crowd, which judging by some of the reactions of people nearby, was not the usual routine.

 

      “Welcome to the Church of the Ladies of Mercy - may her blessings fall upon you!  For those who are new to our church today, I am Bishop Meirs, and will be officiating today’s prayers and communion.”   Bishop Meirs paused to ensure everyone was listening, and gradually the whispering in the crowd died out.  “Many of you may have heard some disturbing news.  I will tell you what I know, so that rumor does not change into hysteria.   Bishop Vargas Elm, of Ogden town, has been killed - and there is apparently evidence he fell from grace and embraced the worship of Hrask before he died.”

 

      The crowd gasped in shock - as if to disbelieve even the idea of such a high ranking priest turning from their faith.   Bishop Meirs continued.  “There is also more news from Ogden town - apparently, shortly after his death, a Dreamer at a hospital near Ogden town awoke - apparently at the direct command of the Goddess in her guise as Seleni.”  The crowd burst into whispering - obviously disturbed by the revelation.  “We know that the Dreamer was a young woman - but few other details are known.  The Council of Hierarchs will undoubtedly wish to speak with the young woman personally - and I am led to believe she is already on her way to meet with them.   I caution you all that little else is known other than the Dreamer’s name - and that speculation as to further details will only lead you astray.  I promise you, that when more details are known, they will be shared.”

 

      The whispering continued for over a minute, before a few vocal people called out.  “What’s her name, then, your Grace?”   Bishop Meirs motioned for silence, and waited until the crowd’s chatter died down.  Erica tried to shrink further into her cloak - even going so far as to push herself into Kai’s side - to little avail.

 

 

      “I was told that the Dreamer’s name is Erica, and that she claimed to have talked to the Goddess for a short while before waking.”  Bishop Meirs let the name and tidbit of information sink in a moment, then continued.  “Many of you are probably wondering about the stories of the Jelestine Prophet - the prophet who claimed she foresaw the end times and the return of the great heroes of legend - since they so closely resemble news we have all just recently heard.  My sermon today will be about this story - and why we need to reflect on St. Jelestine’s message, and not panic.  Prophecies are fickle and dangerous things - and what they seem to say are often not what they actually say.  They can be misinterpreted, confused, or misunderstood.   I will try to guide you through what was said, to set your fears at ease.”

 

      End times!?  Erica thought.  I’m the harbinger of the apocalypse!?  What the fuck!?   She looked about to see if she could possibly leave without attracting attention.  It didn’t look like it - in fact, she’d probably have every eye in the church on her in a moment if she tried.  Erica stayed put.  

 

      Meanwhile Bishop Meirs began the sermon.  It was interesting at first - but soon Christine and Erica’s heads were swimming from the glut of names, events and places the Bishop mentioned.  There was so much information that it soon became simply noise, and it was all the two women could do to simple follow the reactions of the crowd of parishioners. 

 

      And this looks like it’s going to go on for quite a while...  Erica thought.  She wasn’t wrong.  Bishop Meirs continued the sermon, interspersed with hymns by the choir and readings from some sacred book, for over an hour...

           

*          *          *

 

      Eventually the service ended - but unlike many church sermons in Canada, Christine and Erica discovered that the sermons here in Valris, ended with a healing ceremony.   Sick people from the community, along with the seriously injured - either soldiers wounded in the line of duty or people injured in accidents or as victims of crime - were brought forward and arrayed before the priest in the golden mask and the three priestesses in black and red.   Together, they called upon Askeline and Isundal, incanting prayers to their gods - and one by one the sick and hurt were healed - with what appeared to Erica and Christine, obvious signs of magic - glowing lights, strange scents and the hint of glorious music.

 

      Holy Shit!  Erica thought.  I think they’re actually, really healing these people!   This is amazing!  She watched in rapt attention, seeing in the people arrayed before the congregation a shadow of the same miracle that saved her life a scant week ago.  

 

      Christine looked on in equal amazement.   I’m not sure these people are charlatans... for one thing, you’d think the local Lord or Lady would be pissed off if their healed troops came back to work still injured.   Look - that guy!  I think he just had a broken leg healed.  Oh my god...  Kai and Maeve were right - their Gods do grant miracles.   Why doesn’t ours?  What the hell is wrong with us that we’re not worthy?   Christine found herself growing angry - not at Kai and his people, but at the Church and God back home, on Earth.   Does God hate us?  What did we do that was so bad that He turned away from us - abandoned us?  Why should these people get to see their Gods every day - and yet ours remains a myth people can debate doesn’t even exist?  It’s not fair!

 

      Erica didn’t notice Christine’s anger until several minutes passed.  What’s wrong with her?  Erica thought.  “Are you okay?”  She whispered. 

 

 

      I’m bloody angry!  Christine thought.  Why are we left in confusion and doubt when the people here know their gods care for them, and can see them every day.  It’s bloody wrong!   She was so angry she didn’t trust herself to talk, so all she did was take a breath and say “I will be...  How about we talk later, okay?”

 

      “Sure, if you want.”   Erica gave Christine a supportive hand-squeeze in return for her earlier one, which earned her a wry smile from Christine.

 

      By the time they turned their attention back to the clerics, the service seemed to be over - until one of the priestesses in red garb came forward, and called for alms plates to be passed about - offerings for the church.  “Today’s offerings will be split between the soup kitchen run by the temple, and the Widow Heather Branscombe, who recently lost her husband to a heart attack.    She and her young child need the money to repair her home, and make sure she and little Willow are taken care of.  Thank you, and may Isundal watch over you in guidance and protection, and may Askeline soothe your pains and your worries.  Be well, and return to us when you are able.”

 

      The choir struck up another hymn, and the alms plates came around.  Kai passed a silver coin to each of Erica and Christine, obviously expecting them to offer it to the alms plate.   They did - and soon everyone was rising and slowly making their way towards the exits.  

 

      One thing struck Christine - and she was sure she could see the same revelation on Erica’s face as well - was that there was an incredible sense of community amongst these people.  It was becoming obvious that the church wasn’t a place they felt they had to go once a week, then leave - it was the glue that held their community together.  They actually liked coming to church - it gave them purpose - and she suspected it gave them a kind of strength as well.  A sureness - that no matter what happened, they weren’t alone - that their gods were with them, and watched over them.  It seemed to make them feel like everything would be all right.   Christine knew a few times back home where she would have killed to feel that - like the night her mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, or two years later at her funeral.  She fought like hell!  Christine thought.  She prayed, and she fought...through the chemo and the tests and the weight loss.  The worst part was losing her hair - Mom always loved her hair - and she didn’t make it.   God abandoned her - like he abandoned everyone else.  God I miss her.   Tears came unbidden to her eyes, which she brushed away quickly.   The people here don’t know how lucky they are.

 

      As they slowly made their way out of the church, Kai saw Christine brushing away tears as well.  “Is everything all right?”  Kai asked.

 

      “No... I’m just a bit taken aback by church.  How about we talk about it later?”   Christine didn’t want to brush off Kai, but at the same time, she knew if she started talking about how she felt about all this, she wouldn’t stop until she blew off a lot of steam - and in their present surroundings that wouldn’t be the best course of action.  Kai looked like he obviously knew something was wrong, but he obviously decided to let it go for now - for which Christine was grateful.

 

      Soon they managed to extricate themselves from the crowd, and made their way outside where it seemed an afternoon market was being set up in the nearby town square.  Farmers who had come for service were opening stalls to sell home crafted furniture or winter vegetables left over from winter, jams and jellies, and other luxuries.   It had all the appearance of a spontaneous medieval faire.

 

      Kai maneuvered them through the crowds, past the town square where the market was being held, and into the streets of Wethom.  “I haven’t forgotten what you both need.”  Said Kai.  “And I thought it might be best if we got away from some of the crowds - Erica at least looks like she could use the air.”

 

 

      Erica looked like she wanted to ask something - but held back, obviously bothered by what she heard during the sermon - she looked a lot like Christine did in that way, even if the reason she was upset was different.  “I could use the air - it was getting a little close in there.”  Christine said nothing, trying to keep her emotions in check - but it was obvious she was troubled as well. 

 

      The three moved through the streets, Erica and Christine following Kai’s lead.   They walked for several minutes, past a various shops and houses - Erica saw shops she thought looked like a general store, a blacksmith, and a tavern, before they arrived at a shop whose sign looked like a mortar and pestle.   “We’re here.”  Kai said.  “This is Serra Hateger’s shop.  Genna grows herbs, and makes medicines and remedies for much of the town.  There are a few other shops, but hers is the best.” 

 

      Kai tried the door and found it locked.  “It would seem Genna isn’t back from church yet.  We have a few minutes to wait.”   Perhaps now would be a good time to ask Christine what was bothering her?   “Christine - you seemed rather upset near the end of the service.  Did something go wrong?”

 

      “Yes... No.  Not really.”  Christine sighed sadly.  “I was upset - I am upset - that your people see their Gods every day, and yet our people rarely if ever see their Gods.  It’s to the point where we see the divine so infrequently that many people even doubt if He exists, or if He’s a fairy tale - a myth.   I guess I’m a bit jealous, and a bit sad, that you have what a lot of my people wish for, and for some reason can’t have.”

 

      Kai listened to Christine, and realized this was a problem for which there was no easy answer.   “I don’t know why your Gods don’t show themselves to you - it seems strange to me, given what I grew up with.  They must have their reasons, I guess.  All I do know is that if they’re anything like our gods here, they care about you - even if you don’t see it everyday.  Maybe they’re busy with something really important - and it only seems like they’ve forgotten about you.  Maybe they’ll return one day, and take your people into an embrace, and you’ll all remember that your Gods love you and cherish you, even if they can’t be with you all the time.   That way you can cherish the time you have with them all the more.”

 

      “Do you really believe that?”  Christine asked.   I’ll bet he does, too.  She thought.  I wonder if it’s that easy.  

 

      Kai thought for a minute, then nodded.  “I do.”  He said.  “Maybe you just need to be patient, and have faith.”

 

      “Faith Isn’t easy, Kai.”

 

      “It never is.  Faith is hard - it’s full of doubt, and doubt can be a hard thing to master.  Just trust in the fact that someone that loved you enough to bring you into the world, will never truly abandon you.   That’s all you can do - that, and take solace that even if they aren’t with you right now, does not mean that they will never be with you again.”

 

      Kai and Christine were interrupted by a woman’s voice calling from down the street.   “Oh hey!  I’ll be open in a moment!”   The woman was in her thirties, with blonde hair and an attractive, matronly build.  She had on a blue wool dress and a soft woolen hat.  She too looked like she was just returning from church.

 

      “It’s all right, Genna.”  Kai said.  “We can wait.”

 

      Genna chuckled.  “More healing ointment, Kai?  Or is it bandages this time?   I swear, you and your friend Maeve get into enough trouble for ten people!  And who are your friends?”   Genna’s easy going tone and manner made it obvious that she knew Kai - and perhaps Maeve - fairly well, and considered them friends as well as good customers.   She unlocked the shop door, and Kai held the door for them to enter.

 

      This is going to take a little getting used to, thought Erica.  I’m not used to doors being held for me - and I’m sure as hell not used to needing what we’re here for!

 

      “This is Christine.”  Kai said, motioning to Christine.  “And this is Erica.   They’re why we’re here today.”  Kai still looked a bit uncomfortable talking about why they were here.   “They need some things for their moon-days, and they don’t know what we use here in Valris.”

 

      “Oh!” she exclaimed.  “Where are you from?   Ghaelorn... or maybe Calambray?”  It was obvious Genna was interested in where Christine and Erica were from.

 

      No wonder, Erica thought.  She probably hasn’t been more than twenty miles from home in her whole life.  I think I read that somewhere back home - most people never travelled in the middle ages.  Something about it being too dangerous and difficult.   After riding double for almost a week on a horse with Kai, Erica could understand some of where Genna was coming from.  Walking twenty-plus miles a day wasn’t her cup of tea, if she had a choice.

 

      “Neither.”  Erica said.  “We’re a lot further from home.”

 

      “You’ve travelled very far, then.  What do you use back home?”

 

      Christine described the sanitary pads and tampons from back on Earth, and explained how they were disposable, rather than reusable.   She even took the last two of her sanitary napkins that were in her purse, and gave them to Genna, who seemed interested and amazed with them.

 

      “Well, I don’t have anything as fine as that.”  Genna said.  “But I have something close.” Genna went to a drawer and pulled out two cloth pads about the size of a sanitary napkin, save that they were thicker and had a pouch that sealed with buttons.  She also pulled out a large handful of moss.   “Our women often use bloodmoss, stored in these small pouches to catch the blood during our moon-days.  Some prefer to use rags inside, than pads such as these.  We usually coat them with some powdered Luris root and some honey to make it more comfortable to use.  We have them too, if you would like.”

 

      Kai looked a bit green around the edges - like he was learning more than he ever wanted to about women’s periods.   Christine noticed Erica was looking a little wild-eyed as well.  Men, she thought.  So squeamish about something so normal.   She chuckled a bit, her sour mood lifting somewhat.  I guess men are men, no matter what world they’re from - and even if Erica considers herself a girl, she still has a lot to learn about being one. 

     

      Christine indicated they would take two of everything, including the salve to coat the rag tampons with, and motioned to Kai to pay Genna.  Kai never looked so glad to spend money, forking over several silver coins.   Probably so we can get out of the store ASAP.  Christine thought.   I can’t blame him - I’m not too keen on trying these herbal items, but Erica and I won’t have much choice in a week or two.

 

      Genna quickly instructed the two women on how to boil and sterilize the pads and tampons before being reused, and they left the shop.   Erica looked less green around the gills by the time they left, like she was adjusting at least a little to the idea of needing this stuff - but Kai looked glad to be outside the shop and back on the streets.  

     

      “I think maybe we should head back to the cabin, now that we have what you need.”  Kai said.  “Unless we’re forgetting something I don’t recall?”  

 

      Neither Erica or Christine could remember anything else they needed, so they shook their heads, and followed Kai to Wethom’s Tree gate, where he purchased three small bundles of something that looked like wood from a merchants stall before escorting the two of them out of the city.  It promised to be a long walk back to Kai’s cabin.

 

*          *          *

 

      Sir Andred prowled the streets of Arathel with a growing frustration.  He had arrived in the city yesterday, and aside from the rumors that she had spent an entire day and night with the Council of Hierarchs, there was no word of her location.   He had inquired at the cathedral - and the priests had simply said she was resting at home - but no one seemed to know where exactly her home was, or at the very least, didn’t choose to tell him.   It was obvious that the Council didn’t want her disturbed - but it was equally important he find her - without informing the council of why he was there.  

 

      He was just about to give up the search for the evening, when he saw a blue-white light shoot far into the night sky, near the Cathedral of Three Moons.  What in the seven hells is going on there?    Being curious, he headed in that direction - and soon found that someone had activated the Moon-Gate - a woman seen working for the Council at times.          

 

      Someone? He thought.  Probably Maeve.  And if she was authorized to use the Moon-Gate, she was probably fetching her friends so that the Council could speak with them... so all I have to do to make sure I see her, is simply wait right her for her return.  Good.  I wonder where she is right now?  Sir Andred prepared to wait for Maeve.

 

 

5