Chapter 21 – Assassins
170 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      Maeve saw nothing more than a flare of blue-white light as she stepped through the Arathel moon-gate - a short, continuous flare of light accompanied by the intense feeling of motion which felt almost like falling from a great height.   Then, just as suddenly as it began, the light ended - and Maeve appeared somewhere else.  

 

      She was standing on a circular stone platform, lightly covered in snow, leaves and debris blown over the structure by wind and winter weather.  It was nighttime, and would have been quite dark if the moon of Thuria had not been in the night sky.  It was waning, but there was enough light to see by for Maeve, who had made a career of being in dimly lit areas, looking for things people didn’t want her to see.  

 

      Harumph!  Dangerous indeed.  No more dangerous than taking a stroll to the market for tea.   I always suspected the Hierarchs forbid travel by Moongate to reserve their power for themselves.  Why am I even surprised anymore?  

 

      If I have my bearings right, I’m about a day west of Ogden-town and two days north of Wethom.  I’d best hurry.   Maeve began to move, using the moon to orient herself - and slipped on some ice concealed by the windblown snow, hurting her rump soundly.   “I don’t think this is what the Hierarchs meant when they said Gate travel was dangerous.”  Maeve said, rubbing her sore rump with a chuckle as she stood carefully.  “I should be more careful.”

 

      Maeve carefully half-walked, half-skidded off the icy platform of the Moongate, and onto the withered grass surrounding the gate.   It felt good to have her feet on solid ground.  Spring was well on its way to arriving - the snow was melting - in a few weeks it would be gone and green would be coming back to the woods.   It also meant that the roads would be soon turning to muck as the freeze of winter left the ground.  

 

      I’d better get moving.   Maeve started jogging south, using any game trail she came across to speed her travel - a trick taught to her by Kai.   At least the forest here is old growth forest - there’s lots of room to run.   Mile after mile was eaten up by Maeve’s half-jogging, half-walking pace.   She tried not to think about what might be happening near Wethom right now - or what might have already happened...   At least I cut five days off my return time.  I just hope it’s enough.

 

 

*          *          *

 

      Erica grabbed the axe in both hands, readying herself to take another swing.  It was tough work, chopping wood - but it helped her feel better, and it seemed to be building up some muscles in her arms as well.   It had been two days since Kai had taken them to Wethom for the church service, and she still wasn’t sure about this end times prophecy everyone had been talking about.  Kai had explained it in more detail later, once they were back at the cabin - the Dreamer waking wasn’t the cause of the disasters to come, just one of the signs that they were coming.  That didn’t make Erica feel much better, considering the propensity of people to kill the bearer of bad news, but it did make her feel a *bit* better.  

 

 

      She raised the axe for another swing, pausing first to brush some sweat out of her eyes and to brush some strands of her hair out of her field of vision.   I’m glad Christine showed me how to braid hair, Erica thought.  It does help keep it out of the way.    Erica couldn’t understand how something so seemingly simple - like braiding hair - could be so hard in practice to learn at first.   Even now, her braids were lumpy and malformed at best - not neat and precise like Christine’s.   I guess it’s just a matter of practice.  After all, Christine’s probably been braiding hair since she was a schoolgirl - I just started learning in the last few days! 

 

      I’m glad that I’ve been feeling better since Ogden town, too.  Maeve was right - the weird feeling from the magic is getting less and less.  Erica had been doing her meditation to monitor the Call of Hrask every night, like Maeve had asked her to, and had been noticing the strange covetous greed feeling was weaker each day.  It was weird, she thought, how using too much magic could change your personality.  I guess nothing comes without a pricetag.   She swung the raised axe down with some force behind it, and the piece of wood split fairly easily into two smaller pieces.  “I guess my strength is getting a bit better.  Awesome.”   Erica was still surprised sometimes at the sound of her new voice - it still sounded alien to her ears - but it was becoming more and more normal each day.

 

      I wonder how long it’ll be before I forget how I used to sound?  Erica wondered.  I already can’t remember clearly what it feels like to not have these breasts.  It was a little scary, losing touch with her old self - but it didn’t frighten her too much; it was more a matter of discovering who she was now.  It was strange and exciting and confusing all at once.   

 

      Meanwhile, Erica could hear the rhythmic twang - thwack of Christine practising with Kai’s spare bow.  She’s getting pretty good at that.  Erica thought.  Maybe I’ll be strong enough to draw the newbie bow sometime soon.  I hope.   She was a little surprised at how much she really did want to learn how to use the bow, too.   Maybe it was the competitive spirit in her - or maybe she was just channelling her inner Merida, but she thought it would be cool - and if dangerous stuff kept happening to them, it might keep her alive too. 

 

      Erica placed another piece of wood on the chopping block and readied the axe for another swing.   She was almost done - there was a respectable pile of wood and kindling piled up next to the block - and she knew there was going to be more needing chopped tomorrow anyway.   Erica and Christine had made a pact to use up or throw out the pottage in Kai’s cookpot and try to make something new.   It might be harder to do, but they were planning on giving it a try tomorrow - just for their own sanity.   We haven’t got sick yet, Erica thought.  But the same stew in the same pot for several days without refrigeration - that’s just gross even if they are used to it here!  

 

      “I wonder how Kai is doing?”  She said to no one in particular.  Like usual, he had left early in the morning to check his traplines - and if things went according to the routine they had sort of fallen into, he would be back in the mid-afternoon, with a few birds to pluck or a rabbit or two to skin, along with his catch of furs for the day.   Then they’d have supper, and spend a few hours with language lessons.   Then, Erica would probably get some lessons on female grooming or whatever else Christine thought she needed to know about now, and then they would head off to bed.   It isn’t a bad routine, all things considered.   I just hope we do something different in the next day or two - maybe some more tracking practice or something?  That would be cool.   Erica looked at the sky - she was starting to be able to judge the time by the sun a bit better.  It looked to be mid-afternoon - maybe four o-clock or so if she had to guess.   Kai should be home soon.   I wonder how his day’s been going?

 

*          *          *

 

 

      Kai was having a bad day.   First, I lost my footing and slipped off that log crossing Delver’s creek and get soaked from top to bottom.  Then two of my traps were destroyed by gods-knows-what - and to top it all off, a sable - the first one I’ve caught in months - was mauled by some other animal and I might not be able to save the fur...  How does Erica put it?  Today really sucked.   Kai grumbled as he slipped through the woods.  At least I’ll be back soon, and we can have dinner.  I’ll bet the girls had a better day than I did.  I can’t get over how nice it’s been to have company again.   Kai smiled despite himself.  He had enjoyed having Erica and Christine at the cabin with him...  Maeve would have been climbing the walls by now - but those two just seemed to adapt - and in Erica’s case even enjoy it. 

 

      Kai smiled a bit when he remembered Christine’s and Erica’s first attempt at making bread.  It had risen - sort of - and it tasted okay - sort of - but they obviously had never made a loaf of bread before in their life - or at least, a long time.   Seriously... how did they get this far without learning to bake bread?   I mean, Christine obviously had several servants - She and Maeve said she lived in a mansion, after all.  Maybe Eric didn’t learn to make bread because he was a boy?   I could ask them, I suppose.   I don’t want to embarrass them though - they’re trying really hard.

 

      Kai’s reverie was broken by a small voice calling out to him...  “Kai!  Kai!  Great!  I found you!  Yup yup yup!”   The chattering voice was tiny and high pitched - obviously a reechi voice - one Kai knew quite well.

 

      “Rosie!”  Kai said.  “What in the Skyfather’s name are you doing out this far from town?  If your mother Joorie finds out you were here, she’ll skin both of us!”  Kai knew Rosie fairly well - she was a curious young reechi girl who loved to ask questions and hear new stories.  She probably heard he went off with Maeve recently, and wanted to hear all about it.  She was also the daughter of the seamstress that recently sold Christine and Erica their clothes.

 

      Rosie was a young reechi woman, about eight years old - or about twice that, plus or minus a year or two - in human reckoning.   She was taller than her mother by about a half-inch, with a long red tail that whitened at the tips.  Unlike many reechi, Rosie could glide through the air, like many normal squirrels could.  The ability was rare in reechi for some reason, but the individuals it did appear in were considered lucky.   Rosie was wearing a green and grey woolen dress cut to accommodate her gliding wings, along with matching hat and mittens.   She also had at her waist her leather belt with her twin daggers, which she never left home without - much to her mother’s dismay.

 

      “I came to see the Dreamer!   You left with Maeve, and came back with two different girls.  Mom said one was called Erica - and Bishop Meirs said the Dreamer was called Erica.  I bet they’re the same person!   I just want to say hi!”  She paused for a moment to catch her breath.  “I would have too, but I didn’t like the look of the guards you hired.  They didn’t look very friendly.   Why did you hire guards?”

 

      Kai’s blood ran cold.  “What guards?”   Who the hell is watching my cabin?  Kai thought.  “What did you see?”   Kai’s voice had an edge of anger to it.

 

      Rosie looked nervous - like she’d been caught doing something she shouldn’t.  “I didn’t mean to go look while you were gone, Kai...  I just wanted to see the Dreamer.   I wasn’t sure which one it was - the red haired one cutting wood, or the brown haired one shooting arrows.   I was going to ask one of your guards, but I didn’t - they made me scared.”

 

      Kai struggled to calm himself.   “Okay, Rosie, you’re not in trouble... but I need you to pay attention.   I don’t have any guards - so the people you saw are not my friends.”

 

      “Oh acorns!”   Rosie said, obviously worried.  “Then why were they watching your house?”

 

 

      “I don’t know.  How long ago was this?”  We’re maybe fifteen to twenty minutes from home, if I hustle.  I could run it in eight.  

 

      “About an hour or so - I came looking for you.  You’re pretty hard to find you know!” 

 

      Kai nodded.  “How many were there?  Did they have any weapons?”  Kai drew an arrow from his quiver, and readied his bow in his grasp. 

 

      Rosie looked worried - like she’d done something wrong.  “I saw four of them.  They had bows - short curved ones - and knives.   They were wearing cloaks too, which was weird cause today has been pretty warm for the beginning of Rainfall, let me tell you.   I got the impression they didn’t want to be bothered - which normally doesn’t stop me - but for some reason this time it did.”

 

      “Rosie, they’re not my guards - they’re probably not friendly either.   I have to find out who they are and why they’re here.   You on the other hand, need to either get back to your mother, or keep well out of the way until I figure out what’s going on.”

 

      “I think I vote for staying out of the way.”

 

      “Fine,” Kai said.  “Let me handle this.”   Kai gripped his bow.   If you’ve hurt either of them, I’ll kill all of you.  Kai thought.   And I think I need to talk to Maeve about her bringing her work to my home.  They must be here because of the recent thing with Bishop Vargas.  Maybe he had friends who didn’t take well to his untimely demise?  

 

      Kai raced through the woods as quickly as he could, while still allowing for stealth.  It took eight long minutes to get close to his cabin, when he slowed his pace, and came upon some of the interlopers tracks.   Human sized - probably adult males from the footprint.  More than one - but they split into two groups of two.  Damn - two at once is a lot harder than one, dammit.  I guess I don’t have a choice, though.    Kai crept forward slowly, keeping to the underbrush until he caught sight of one of the two groups of men.  Rosie followed him at a distance, quiet as only someone of her tiny size could be.

 

      They were crouched in the woods behind and to the left of the smokehouse, where they could get a good look at the back of the house, particularly where Christine had been practising with his spare bow.   She’s getting better, he thought idly, counting the arrows in the target.  Where is she?   He turned his attention back to the two men.  Like Rosie said, they were overdressed - wearing full woolen cloaks with the hoods up.  Probably for concealment more than protection from the weather, Kai thought.  This doesn’t look good - but at least there aren’t any signs of violence.  What are they doing?

 

      Kai crept a bit closer, trying to discern what their purpose was.  The two figures were watching the cabin with their bows close to hand, but neither had an arrow drawn, and neither looked ready to attack.  They looked tired, like they were waiting for something.  One of the figures muttered something to the other figure, who shifted a little in his spot.  At first Kai couldn’t hear their voices, but a few moments later he caught the sibilant hiss of a Fallen on the wind.  A Fallen!  Here?   He silently nocked and drew an arrow.  It doesn’t matter why they’re here, then.  They’re up to no good.   He aimed for three long seconds, and loosed.  Before the arrow streaked across the clearing into the neck of the first Fallen, Kai’s second arrow was nocked and ready.  The Fallen Kai had struck tried to scream - but all that came out was a gurgle and a loud groan, plus a spray of blood.

 

 

      The second fallen turned to see his comrade screech and die - and raised his bow - when Kai’s second arrow caught him in the face.  He too, fell screaming.  When he dropped to the ground, his death throes were not unlike the violent tossing of that of a snake or other serpent.  Fitting, Kai thought.  Now to find cover before...

 

      “Pwyll!  What’s going on?  Have you got him?”   A voice called out - another Fallen.

 

      Kai guessed it was another one of the men watching his cabin - a guess soon confirmed when two Fallen - one with a bow and arrow ready to fire, the other with a drawn shortsword and shield - stepped into the clearing around his cabin.  They saw their comrades, writhing where Kai had shot them down, and realized something was wrong... They were the hunted, not the hunters.  They ran for cover, desperate to avoid being shot by the unseen archer that had killed their allies.  

 

      Kai began to move for another shot, when the cabin door flew open and Christine and Erica came out, a little frightened looking.  Christine had a knife, and Erica had her handgun.   “... it sounded like screams.”  Christine was saying as they came outside.  

 

      “Get back inside!”  Kai yelled, cursing as he gave away his position.  “Get inside now!”   The two women did so, but it was plain to see that they weren’t pleased about it.   I can’t risk them getting hurt, he thought.  Then again, I’m not too keen on ME being hurt, either.  It sounds like its ME they’re after.  Why in the seven hells would anyone want me dead?   Maeve I could understand - but why me?

 

      Kai ducked as an arrow whizzed over his head.  Gotta move - the one with the bow must have my position.   He dropped low to the ground, and crept to the left, circling around the clearing to try to get a clear shot.   One was behind the well - the other behind the woodshed.   He scrambled and crawled towards the outhouse; it should give him some cover.   As Kai scrambled, the fallen archer popped up, and tried to see where Kai was - but before Kai could ready his bow and aim, his target had ducked back under cover.   The archer is by the well - the other one is by the woodshed.  Good to know.

 

      Kai took cover behind the outhouse - the remaining two Fallen didn’t seem to see him - instead, they seemed to be staring over where he had been a few minutes ago.   Kai tracked their gaze, and saw the bushes moving, like another person was creeping up in his tracks.  Who the hell is this now?  Kai thought.  The archer among the fallen stood to take a shot - and his arrow arced into the bushes, where Kai heard a reechi yell of terror.  Rosie!  That damn fool girl is going to get herself killed!   Then he realized what she was doing - she was making a distraction for him.  

 

      Without pause, he nocked, aimed and fired at the Fallen by the well.  The arrow flew from his bow like a stroke of vengeance; the Fallen screamed as the wooden shaft pierced his chest.   As the Fallen fell screaming, Kai broke into a run.  I swear, if we live through this I’m going to skin that reechi for risking herself!  Brave, I’ll admit - but STUPID. 

 

      The last Fallen rose up from behind the woodshed, readying his sword and shield.  Kai stopped a moment, from perhaps 40 feet away, and drew the bow back so far it and his arm creaked in protest. The arrow leapt from the bow, and when the Fallen raised his shield to deflect it, it instead punctured the shield and sank into its surface, almost up to the feathers.   The fallen screamed in pain.   Must have hit his arm.  Kai thought.  Good - pain will make him sloppy.

 

 

      Kai had no time for further rumination - the Fallen warrior hissed a battle-cry and charged.  Kai ducked and rolled, tossing his hunting bow aside as he did - the Fallen’s blade passed above his head as the once-human creature was taken by surprise by his agile move.  Kai was a brawny woodsman - most people didn’t expect quick reflexes out of him - to their dismay.

 

      Wasting no time, Kai rolled to his feet and wrenched the wood-axe from the chopping block.  The smooth handle fit Kai’s palm like a glove, worn smooth over years of use.  He turned to face the fallen, who was turning to face him as well.   They circled about, looking for any sign of weakness or any opening the other might leave.   Kai could see the Fallen’s shield arm was weakening - his shield was starting to dip - and the fallen himself looked frightened.   Kai was in better shape; he wasn’t injured - but he was fatigued from a long day of checking the traps and running back to the cabin.   Kai had the edge.

 

      The fallen must have realized Kai was trying to wear him down, because he surged forward, obviously hoping to make a quick kill.  He came in low, shield raised and stabbed at Kai’s stomach.   Kai blocked the blow with the handle of the axe, and returned the favor by slamming the butt of the axe into the fallen’s jaw.  The fallen fell backward, floored by the blow.   Does this asshole think I’m an amateur?  Kai wondered.  If I couldn’t fight, I would have been dead ten times over with all the places Maeve has dragged me...   While the creature struggled to regain its feet, Kai stepped towards it, and kicked it in the chest, once more knocking it prone.  Before it could react, he stepped on its chest, and swung the axe in a mighty two-handed swing, burying the axe in the creatures face.  

 

      Kai stepped off the creatures’ corpse, huffing and puffing from his exertion, to see the door of his cabin slowly open.  Christine and Erica slowly came out, looking around at the carnage wrought so quickly on what they had become to accept as their temporary home.   Erica was carrying her pistol, and Christine had a knife. 

 

      Erica was the first to speak.  “Are you okay, Kai?” 

 

      “I think so, Erica.   I think there were only the four of them.”  Kai stood up, and mentally took stock of the situation - he also noticed he was acting like it was no big deal, when it really bothered him.  I guess I don’t want to look scared they came to my home in front of the two of them.    He didn’t think he was trying to impress anyone.  “They’re done - or will be.”   Kai could still here the moans of one of the Fallen he had shot, over by the smoke-house.  

 

      Christine asked “Are there any more of them?”

 

      “I don’t know.  I don’t think so.”   Kai looked around.   Rosie!  Is she okay?  Her mother will skin me if she’s been hurt!   “Rosie - are you out there?”

 

      “Yup yup yup!”  The young reechi called, from near the bushes she had moved to distract the Fallen.  “Did my distraction help?”   Rosie scampered out from the bushes, and ran up to Erica and Christine.  “Hi!  I’m Rosie!   Which one of you is the Dreamer?”

 

      “Rosie!”  Kai yelled.  “You could have been killed!   Yes, your distraction helped - but it was a dangerous risk - and a foolish one.   How would I explain to your mother what happened if you got hurt?” 

 

      “I dunno.”  Rosie said, unabashedly.  “I didn’t get hurt so it doesn’t matter, right?”

 

      Kai just looked at the young reechi and realized it was probably a lost cause arguing with her.  He wiped his face with his hands and groaned.  “Fine - just don’t tell anyone what happened here, or I won’t talk to you for a year.”

 

 

      Erica and Christine watched the short argument between Kai and Rosie, and Christine couldn’t help but smirk.  It just seemed so ludicrous - a six foot tall grown man arguing with a fourteen inch long squirrel in a dress.  She snickered, earning a dirty glance and a frown from Kai.

 

      “I’m sorry - Christine, Erica - this is Rosie Clik-tik, Joorie’s daughter - the one that runs off into the woods all the time.”  Kai looked exasperated, and pulled the wood-axe out of the fallen’s face.  “I have to deal with the other wounded creature.  I’ll be right back.”   He strode off, heading towards the archery field where the wounded fallen was moaning.

 

      Rosie smiled again.  “Hiya!”  She said.   “I wanted to meet the Dreamer that woke up.   I’ve been hearing all sorts of stories.  Are they true?”

 

      Erica had no clue what kind of stories Rosie had heard, and could only imagine the rumors flying about the small town of Wethom.  “I don’t know, Rosie.  We could tell you what happened to us, I suppose.”     

 

      “I’m not sure Maeve would like that.”  Christine said.  “But then, Maeve’s not here.”

 

      “I’d love to hear, I would!   Could we go inside?  It’s cold and there are dead things out here!”  Rosie didn’t seem too dispirited by the recent attack, or the grisly aftermath.   Maeve and Kai were right - she is hyper, Christine thought.

 

       Christine shook her head.  “Go ahead - I’ll see if Kai needs a hand.  You might want to put a kettle on too - he looks like he’s had a rough afternoon.”

 

      “Yeah, I’m on it.”  Erica said.  “Let’s go inside and get some tea on, Rosie.”

 

      “Yup yup yup!”  Rosie scampered up to Erica’s shoulders and rode the human into the cabin.

 

      Christine walked over to the smoke-house to see Kai dragging a body over towards the wood-shed.  The moaning had stopped.   He must have killed him... Oh god, I have to get out of this place.  I just want to go home!   She hugged her arms a moment to collect her thoughts, and came over to Kai.  “Need a hand?  Erica’s distracting Rosie.”

 

      Kai looked up, and Christine could see the exhaustion in his face.  He looked tired - wrung out.  “Yeah.  I could.  Thank you.”   He stood up, and she could see there was blood on his hands.   “Help me drag them all over here for the moment, so I can figure out what the hell we’re supposed to do about them, okay?”

 

      Christine nodded.  He wants me to touch one of them... urgh!  I’m not sure if I can...  She walked over to the one by the well, and tried not to look at the arrow piercing him, or his strange reptilian skin.  “These... creatures.  They used to be human, right - that’s what Maeve said, didn’t she?” 

 

      “Yes - they used to be.  As far as I understand it, any sorcerer who allows the power to overtake himself, and gives in to the Call of Hrask, can become one of those.  When they do, they become puppets of the Hserinyar, giving themselves over to their cause.  It’s not pretty.”

 

      Christine haltingly picked up the legs of the dead fallen, and started dragging him over to Kai’s pile of corpses.  “Do they always turn to the dark side?  Do some ever retain their humanity?”

     

     

      Kai thought for a moment.  “I don’t know.  I’d have to say the vast majority turn dark - but I suppose there’s a possibility that one might retain some humanity, even if it’s a small chance.   I can’t say I’ve ever seen it, though.”   He paused, dropping a third corpse into the pile.  “Most good folk assume they’re evil and up to no good.  Usually, they’re right too.  I’ve never seen one on our side, if that’s what you’re wondering.”

     

      Christine pondered that a while, dropping the dead Fallen onto Kai’s pile.  Erica or Maeve could become one of those if they aren’t careful.  She thought.  Holy shit!   This place is too bizarre.   Christine was once again struck by a powerful homesickness and she realized all the more why she didn’t belong here.

 

      Kai looked at the pile of bodies - he had dragged three over, and Christine one.  She looked freaked out.   He put his hand on her shoulder - more to steady her than himself - and tried to calm her down.  “It’s okay, Christine.  We’re safe for now.  Let’s go inside.”

 

      Christine nodded.  “Sure.  Before Rosie rummages through everything in the house?”  

 

      “Yeah that.”   Kai grinned.  Rosie probably would too - at least a little.   “We’d better go rescue Erica from her, or she’ll be asking her questions all night long.”   Christine may not like it here much, but she seems to bounce back really quickly.  She’s strong... really strong, inside - where it counts.   “We also need to try and figure out what the hell is going on - but I’d much rather do that AFTER Rosie is well on her way back to town... Which means we’re probably going to have to tell her our story before we can get her out of the cabin.”

 

      “She’ll probably think Erica and I are crazy.”  Christine said.

 

      “Probably.”  Kai laughed.  “Then again, you might be surprised.  Let’s go inside.”

 

      With that, the two of them headed inside to see what Rosie and Erica had gotten up to.

            

*          *          *

     

      Maeve kept hiking through the woods.  It had been almost a day and a half since she appeared at the Moongate near Ogden town.  During that time she’d gotten lost twice, nearly stepped in a hunter’s bear trap, and been stalked by a wolf who thought better of making her a meal.   I hope he appreciates what I go through for him.  “Argh... will these forests never end?”   

 

      Maeve’s cry of frustration startled a pheasant, hidden by some bushes, which took wing and flew off.  Tired as she was, it startled her and she gasped for breath for a moment.  Scared by a damned bird!  What is the world coming to?   As she paused to catch her breath, Maeve noticed that the area looked somewhat familiar.  “I think I’m getting close.”  She said to no one in particular.   I must be no more than five, maybe ten minutes from Kai’s place.  I recognise that fallen log from my last visit - before we brought Erica and Christine here.   I’d better get a move on.   

 

      Maeve hastened her stride, and soon reached the outskirts of Kai’s homestead.  All around there were signs of violence - splatters of red, the buzzing of flies - the stench of death.   Oh no!  Am I too late?   Maeve rushed into the clearing towards the cabin, and halted short of the door.   There were four dead Fallen lying in a pile...  And not Kai, Erica or Christine.   Maeve let out the breath she hadn’t realized she was holding, and calmed herself.   They’re all right... Thank the Goddess!   She gathered herself, and looked around.  “Where the hell are they?” she muttered.   Not having anywhere better to start looking, she approached the cabin door and knocked.  “Kai - open up!  It’s Maeve!”

 

      There was a clatter from inside, and a few seconds later the door opened up, revealing Erica.  “Maeve!  You’re back early!”  She said, obviously pleased to see her.

 

      Kai stood and came to the door, gently pushing Erica aside.  “Maeve!  It’s good to see you...  Do you know anything about those four dead Fallen out by my woodshed?   Because I suspect they’re related to our last job.  Tell me I’m wrong.”

 

      “I can’t.”  Maeve said.  “It’s good to see you too, my friend.   Can I come in?  I have important news.  News that can’t wait.”  

 

      “Of course.  Get inside - you look as tired as I feel.”  Kai held the door for her.  “We’re not alone at the moment - Rosie Clik-tik stopped by just in time to tell me about the Hserinyar outside.  We’ve been telling her some about our last adventure - since she got involved in it.”

 

      “Yup yup yup!  And wow was it exciting!   I’d like to meet the Goddess one day!  Or fight wizards!  Or go to another world!  Or even see a demon... from a very safe distance of course.”   Rosie scampered up between Kai’s and Erica’s feet - and then climbed Kai’s body to his shoulders.   Reechi didn’t like being stepped on - and Rosie liked it less than most.  She tried to avoid floors when big people were about.

 

      Maeve sighed.  “It’s nice to see you too, Rosie.  Does your mother know you’re here?”  

 

      Rosie looked guilty.  “No... she hates fun.  It’s always ‘be respectable and don’t daydream, Rosie’.  I think she must have been beaten as a child.  Seriously.   But no - she doesn’t know I’m here.”   She looked over to Maeve, a little worried.  “You’re not going to tell her, are you?  I won’t be able to sit down for a week.  She might even ground me!”   Something about the way she said it told Maeve Rosie didn’t mean be confined to her bedroom.  

     

      Maeve looked at the others.  Erica seemed alright, and Christine seemed relatively at ease.  Kai looked more concerned about the dead bodies outside than Rosie knowing their story.  “No - I won’t tell your mom... but you have to head back home right now.   It’s obvious things aren’t safe yet, so I want your word you won’t come back out here until we come to Wethom and tell you it’s all right.”

 

      Rosie looked like she was thinking of a way to twist that request - but the serious demeanor of Kai and Maeve seemed to make her think twice.  “Okay!  I won’t come out here till you say it’s safe.   Thanks for not getting me in trouble!”    Rosie turned to Christine and Erica.  “It was nice meeting you both!”  She said.  “I hope we can talk again sometime.” 

 

      Erica laughed.  “It was nice meeting you too, Rosie.”  

 

      Christine came and even shook Rosie’s paw.  “Agreed - it was nice to meet you too.”  Rosie chittered her thanks and goodbyes, and leapt off of Kai’s shoulder, gliding out the door a good thirty feet.  

 

      It suddenly dawned on Maeve what Rosie meant about being grounded!  No wonder she doesn’t want to get in trouble.  She likes flying too much.  Maeve thought.  She waved goodbye as well, and came inside, waiting for the others to close the door and come over to the small living room.   Is that tea I smell?   I could use a cup of tea...   Maeve got up and busied herself with the kettle and a cup - she knew Kai didn’t stand on ceremony much out here.  

 

      Kai came and sat in his favorite chair, while Maeve fiddled with her tea.  Christine came and took a seat by a small corner table, and Erica sat on a bench near some furs.

 

      “So... Care to explain the four dead Fallen outside?”  Kai asked.

 

      Maeve sipped her tea, wincing a bit.  Too hot.  “They were sent to kill you, by one of the Hierarchs.  I think I know which one, but I’m not completely sure.”

 

      “Gods above, you’re serious!”  Kai exclaimed.  “A Hierarch?  Why?”

 

      “Think about it Kai!”  Maeve said.  “How did Vargas - a Bishop - get his high rank unless he had help from within the church?  The only people who can appoint a Bishop are the members of the Council of Hierarchs.   It also explains how Vargas was able to avoid being detected for so many years - his co-conspirator was running interference back in Arathel.”

 

      Kai considered this a while, obviously troubled.   Christine piped up too.  “I thought the Council of Hierarchs were the good guys!   If they are, then how come one of them is with the...”  Christine struggled with trying to say Hserinyar, until she gave up and said “...the bad guys.”

 

      “I don’t know their exact motivations as to why they turned against the faith, and against our country.  All I do know is that they know about Erica and about what you said - that Tiamat is or was on your world.  I suspect they want to use your knowledge to find Her.”

 

      Erica paled.  “That’s bad, right?”

 

      Maeve nodded.  “Very bad.  And what’s worse is that I’m under orders to bring all of you back to Arathel to be placed into protective custody until the Council can figure out what to do with us.  I’m probably going to be in custody with you.”

 

      “What!?”  Christine yelled, standing up.  “You aren’t going to just hand us over, are you?”

 

      “No, I’m not.”  Maeve said with an annoyed tone.  “Seriously - do you think I would do that?   I promised I would try to keep you safe.  I’ve got a plan... It’s a little dangerous - but if it works I should be able to expose the false Hierarch, and make sure Erica gets training so you and she can go home.”

 

      “How?   Why the hell would they let us go, if they think we know what we know?”  Christine looked scared and angry, and confused.

 

      “Because you or Erica can’t tell anyone from Mercia where Tiamat is, if you aren’t ON Mercia, can you?”   Maeve had a smug look on her face.  “They won’t harm either of you - you’ve been touched by direct divine intervention.  There would be a riot in the streets if the public found out.   No - keeping you here is too dangerous - so the only option is to send you home as soon as possible.”

 

      Christine stopped and thought about it.  It kinda makes sense.  She thought.  WTF?

 

      “Maybe,” started Kai “You should tell us what the hell happened in Arathel first, and what you intend to do about it second.”

           

      Erica stood and said “I’ll fetch us some bowls and some food - it sounds like we’re in for a long night - and all of us are hungry.”   She stepped past Maeve and into the kitchen.  

 

      Maeves stomach growled at the thought of food - and she could swear so did Kai’s.   Food would be good.  She thought.   Anything’s better than trail rations.   “Good idea!  Thank you.”

 

      “De nada.”

 

      “You’re acting pretty domestic all of a sudden.”  Christine quipped.

 

      Erica snorted.  “Bite me, Christine.”  Erica answered from the kitchen. 

 

      While Erica got the food, Maeve started talking, starting with the assassin on the steps of the Cathedral of Three Moons.   The tale took some time to relate - more since they stopped to eat inbetween - but eventually she finished.   The sun was just starting to go down when Maeve got to the end of her tale.   “...and then I got here, and saw I was too late anyway.  Thank the Gods you were all unharmed.”  

 

      “Yeah... About those assassins.”  Kai started.  “They were sent to kill us - but you were sent here via moongate to stop them.  But the way Rosie and I heard them talking, they just wanted to kill me - they didn’t even try to go after Christine and Erica - and they were watching the cabin for hours before I got back.  What gives?”

 

      Maeve thought for a moment.  “I’m not sure.  Maybe their orders had been changed after I talked to the Council of Hierarchs?   They must have been - otherwise they would have tried for all three of you.  That’s the best guess I’ve got - he must have communicated with the assassins through magic, and given them different orders - either himself or through a helper.”

 

      “So now what?”  said Christine.  “Your Council which you thought would help us wants to lock Erica and probably all of us up in some monastery to keep us safe?!   How is putting us in prison going to keep us safe?   What are you going to do if they order you to let us be locked up?   Are you going to let them?  We might be safer on the run, as far as I’m concerned.”

 

      Erica looked more than a little bit worried as well.  “I don’t want to get locked up anywhere, Maeve.  I’ve spent years in what amounted to mental prisons - I’m not keen on walking blithely into another one.   I thought you said they would help us?”

 

      Maeve ran her fingers through her hair, and sighed.  “I am convinced that the Council will try to send you home - I am - especially once they realize that you can’t tell anyone here where Tiamat is, if you aren’t here in the first place.   I am equally convinced that this protective custody is equally temporary - there are no crimes you are accused of, and even if the one corrupted Hierarch wanted to imprison you indefinitely, the others would never allow it.”   Maeve gathered her thoughts a moment.  “The Council wants you kept safe because they don’t know what’s going on - and I can’t simply tell them what’s going on without proof.  The members of the Council are too high-ranked to be accused without proof - and the only way to get said proof is to catch them in the act...”

 

 

      “So you want to use Erica and possibly me as BAIT!?   Are you out of your god-damned mind?   No way - no way in HELL am I going to allow that to happen!”  Christine exploded.  “I’m responsible for Erica’s safety, and there’s absolutely no fucking way you’re using either of us as bait to catch your bad seed, nor lock us in some barbaric religious prison!   Erica’s already died once because of your crazy quest to stop these evil bastards - and you want to give them a chance to do it again!”

                                                     

      “So then what?”  Maeve countered, angry and frustrated.  “You and Erica go on the run.  You have no money.  You don’t know where you are, or where you’re going.  You barely speak the language - cause you’re not leaving here with those amulets - and you have no idea who to beware of or who could be an ally.  Oh yeah - you’ll probably be on the run - for all of three or four days before you’re run to ground.  And then, when the Fallen and their master realize they don’t need you and only need Erica, the BEST you can hope for is they sell you as a slave - and hope they simply don’t kill you.   And then, once you’re out of the picture, they use magic to torture and interrogate Erica, then probably ship her back to Hserin in case they need to get more information later - assuming she doesn’t die in the process.  Either way, one or both of you are dead - and will never see each other again.  HOW IS THIS BETTER!?”  Maeve’s voice rose in volume and anger to a crescendo, where she was almost screaming the last few words of her speech.   She fought to contain her frustration and anger, and continued, calmer and quieter.  “I’ve been doing my best to keep you both alive since we got here.  I have.  If you don’t trust me enough to see that, I have no idea what I can do to convince you.”                                              

 

      Christine looked stunned at Maeve’s violent outburst - she wasn’t used to seeing Maeve scream, nor being told the very blunt facts of life.  She wasn’t prepared for it.   Kai looked shocked too - and angry at both Maeve and Christine.  Erica looked upset and frightened.  

 

      Kai was the first to speak.  “First of all, I will personally throw the next person to scream in the gods-damned well.  Second, speak civilly to each other or get out of my house.  This isn’t a barroom where you can brawl it out – it’s my home, dammit!   Maeve - I know you’re upset and tired - but we’re pretty stressed out too.  Christine, you know virtually nothing about us - and have made it plain you don’t want to learn.  Fine.  But Maeve has been a professional at her job - which is spying - for almost a decade.   If she thinks she can implicate the Hierarch, and get you and Erica home safe you should do her the courtesy of at least listening before you act like a gods-damned spoiled child.  Thirdly, Erica appears to be a grown woman to me - and seems quite capable of making her own damn decisions.  Were you going to ask her what she wanted to do - or just tell her what you intended to do?   She deserves some respect, I think.”

 

      Christine looked stunned from the attack on dual fronts - she expected the blow up from Maeve - but Kai’s accusations took her by surprise.  What do you mean I don’t want to learn?  What the hell have I been doing for the last week and a half?   How dare she call me a spoiled child - Maeve’s plan is absolutely insane!  And what about Erica?   She’s been through a lot lately - she DIED for freaking sakes.   She’s in no position to decide if she should put her life in danger again...   Christine was literally paralysed with anger, confusion, and - although she wouldn’t admit it - fear.

 

      “I’m sorry, Kai.”  Maeve said.   “I should have behaved better.  This is your house... I’m sorry.”

 

      “It’s all right.”  Kai replied.  

 

      Meanwhile, Erica was frozen in fear.   Erica remembered nights at home in his father’s house - shortly after his mother Laura had passed away.   The screaming, the anger and recriminations, the guilt - and the horrific beatings he had never told his sister - or told anyone else - about.  But most of all he remembered the fear of his father... fear - until nothing else remained, except some vain hope that maybe if he could apologize enough, be sorry enough, his father might love him again.   It’s all my fault.  All my fault.  All my fault.  My fault she died.  My fault we’re here.  My fault...   Erica shook like a leaf, and tears welled up in her eyes, but she didn’t move - didn’t say anything.  She couldn’t.   She was locked in a nightmare of fear - a flashback of many traumas not so long past.

     

     

      Maeve saw Erica’s distress.  “Erica... are you okay?  I’m sorry for yelling.” 

 

      Oh shit!   Christine thought, snapping out of her anger and fear induced paralysis.  It’s like she’s going into shock.  What happened?   “Erica?  Can you hear me?”    When Erica didn’t answer, she tried to gently touch her hand - to give some human contact, and to try and let Erica know she was here.   Erica flinched almost reflexively when Christine touched her - but allowed her to gently grab her hand the second time.   She’s reacting to our yelling - my freakout and Maeve’s.   She’s in crisis - if I don’t stop her, she might get really bad.

 

      “I should have died.”  Erica’s voice sounded flat and emotionless, yet upset at the same time.  “I should be dead.   I... I did this to all of you.  I put you and Kai and Maeve in danger, and I took you from home and now we’re stuck and people are going to die because of me...  I should be dead.  Why did your goddess pick me?  Why do I get a second chance?”   Tears were streaming down her face, and Erica was still shaking.  Christine gathered her in a hug and tried to calm Erica with soothing words, while Maeve directed Kai to get a blanket.  

 

      Kai came back a moment later with a warm blanket, and Christine let go of Erica so he could wrap it around her.   Christine re-wrapped her arms around Erica and continued talking quietly to her - trying to calm her, with her voice low and soothing.

 

       “What’s going on?”  Kai said, obviously concerned.   Erica was staring numbly ahead, clutching herself in a hug, as if to get warm or ward off the cold.  She leaned into Christine, seemingly oblivious to the room around her.

     

      “She’s in crisis, reliving a trauma.”  Christine said.  “If I don’t stop her, she’ll go catatonic.  Let me do my job.”

 

      Kai nodded, sick with worry and obviously confused, stood back and let her be.  Maeve looked equally worried and confused - but like her friend Kai, she too stayed back and let Christine do what she had to.   She didn’t do nothing, however...

 

      Maeve whispered a Word of mind, and looked into Erica’s thoughts.   Fear and confusion predominated - alongside guilt and pain.   His father beat him...beat him horribly, and blamed him for the death of his mother.  He blames himself too - for his mother, and for putting us all at risk.  She doesn’t think she deserves a second chance at life...   Maeve pulled back, and let Christine work, unsure if any meddling on her part would make things worse or not.  She’s really fragile right now... with all she’s been through, I don’t know how she’s managed to come this far without breaking down.   I didn’t realize.   Maeve felt ashamed.   With all that they had been through, with all the heroism and bravery Erica had shown in battle and out, Maeve had forgotten Erica was not used to the chaos and violence that surrounded Maeve and her adventures.   

 

      Meanwhile, Christine kept talking calmly and soothingly to Erica - telling her it would be okay, that she was amongst friends, that nothing would hurt her here...  It took some time, but slowly, Erica was able to get her wits about her and come back from the edge of her traumatic event.   As minutes passed and Erica slowly calmed down, Christine felt herself calming as well - all her energy was focussed on making sure Erica got better - not on her outrage or anger.  Maeve was right.  Christine thought.  We can’t go on the run like this.  As much as I hate her plan, it’s the only plan that has a hope of working.  We don’t have any other choice.   As Erica finally calmed down, Christine turned to Maeve, and said  “We’ll do it your way.  We’ll try your plan.”  The fight had gone out of Christine - all she wanted now was to keep Erica safe. 

 

      “Okay.”  Maeve said, quietly.  

           

      “Is Erica going to be okay?”  Kai looked worried and upset.

 

      “I think so.”  Christine said.  He looks like he really cares about her...  He doesn’t even know her - either of us - and yet he really cares.   Figures one of the nicest guys I ever meet is a mountain man from another world.   Wonderful.

 

      “I’m... I’m okay.”  Erica whispered.  “Sorry... I... I don’t know what happened.”  

 

      “You had us all pretty worried there.”  Kai said, smiling kindly.  “Care for a cup of tea?”

 

      Erica smiled.  “Sure.  Thank you.”  Erica looked a bit better, mentally - but looked physically exhausted.  “Thanks Christine.  I guess I needed that.  Sorry to spaz on you.”    While Erica talked to Christine, Kai got up and went to the kitchen - Maeve joined him a few moments later.

 

      “No problem, kiddo.  Just don’t let it all build up to a boil next time if you can help it, okay?   Did you want to talk about it?   It might help.”

 

      “Not right now, Christine.  Maybe later.”

 

      Christine looked a bit dubious - as if not sure if she was being blown off, or if Erica was serious about talking later - but she realized it didn’t matter.  If she wasn’t ready to talk, trying to force he would be useless.  

 

      “Maeve was right.”  Christine said, looking like she bit a sour pickle.  “Her plan sounds really dangerous - but it’s probably the best shot we have.   I know I said it was crazy, but part of that was me being afraid.  I don’t know what to do, Erica.  I don’t think we can do this on our own.” 

 

      “I think you’re right.”  Erica said.  “Even if we did stay safe for a while, without magical training, how can I get us home safely?   I’m scared too, Christine.  I’m also angry... if we can nail this guy, don’t you think we should try?”

 

      “I don’t know, Erica.  I really don’t.”

 

      Kai and Maeve arrived with tea for all four of them - and for a time, all discussion was halted.   It was a welcome respite from the arguing and discussion and the stress, and by the time all of them were finished, everyone seemed much better composed.  

 

      Maeve was the first to break the silence.   “My plan, such as it is, is this: We head to Arathel via moongate - I’ll explain later,” She said to Erica and Christine.  “...then if we can, we go to my home while I contact an ally of mine.  If we can’t do that, we stick together.   Eventually, we should end up at the monastery where the Council wants to keep you for a while...  I expect the Corrupted Hierarch to make his move there.   When that happens, we make OUR move, and take him down.”

 

      “Isn’t he a powerful wizard, like Bishop Vargas was?”  Christine asked.  “He wasn’t so easy to take down.”

 

      “True.”  Maeve said.  “But unlike Bishop Vargas, he doesn’t have a very powerful priestess assisting him, and he has no idea I know who he is and roughly what he intends to do.  We have a powerful advantage in that.”

           

      “Who is the traitor, Maeve?”  Kai asked.

 

      “I believe it to be Hierarch Donal Blaine.  He discovered me a little too quickly when I was on the steps of the Cathedral filleting the assassin sent to kill me.   I suspect he was there to find out if the job had been done - and was unpleasantly surprised to find his assassin dead and in pieces.   Also, in the Council chamber, he protested my accusations of Bishop Vargas very strongly - and then in an odd about face, gave me written permission to use the moongates to facilitate bringing all of you back to Arathel.”

 

      Kai looked stunned.  “I’d have never guessed.   Blaine has a sterling reputation - but I suppose Vargas did as well.”

 

      “That’s sort of the point.”  Maeve said.

 

      “So what’s our next move?”  Christine asked.

 

      “I guess get some sleep, get an early start, and head to the moongate.   The sooner we get this done, the sooner you both get home.”  Maeve looked tired - this whole affair was wearing heavily on her.   “It will take us about two days to get to the moongate - maybe less with Kai leading us - and then it’s anyone’s guess.   I suspect we’ll either succeed or fail very quickly once we reach Arathel.”

 

      “Well at least we won’t be kept waiting.”  Kai said, with a touch of gallows humor.  “I suppose you need me to come along on this leg of the trip too, old friend?”

 

      “If you could.”  Maeve answered.

 

      “I know I would feel better if you came.”  Erica said.

 

      Kai smiled at Erica.  “Well, I can hardly say no, now can I?”  Kai’s smile turned to an irreverent smirk as he looked towards Maeve.  “Of course I’ll come.  I still need to get paid - you can’t skip out on a debt so easily, Maeve.”

     

*          *          *

 

      That night, as the others were bunking down for the night, Erica sat at the kitchen table, writing in her ‘Goddess Journal’.   Every few nights she wrote a few notes in it - either remembrances of the divine encounter, or her thoughts and feelings resulting from the encounter.  It was in English, of course - which she supposed wouldn’t help the local priests and priestesses much when she and Christine went home.  The book wasn’t even a quarter filled, but it was close.  She had filled it with her musings and reactions - and drawings of the Demon, and of the Void, and of Seleni.  I suppose they can always use magic to translate it, if they want.   Maybe if I learn Valdan I can translate it myself.   

 

      Everyone else had gone to bed or was going to bed - Christine was staying with Erica tonight, and Maeve was using Christine’s room.  It would be a bit cramped on the bed, with Christine and Erica sharing - but at least one of them wouldn’t have to sleep on the floor.  Kai was still up, checking some gear in his room - and Erica suspected Christine was waiting for her, in case she wanted to talk.   Only, what do I talk about?  Erica thought.  Tell her that I was reliving a really shitty part of my past with my dad as the bogeyman?  Or that I have all this guilt about the death of my Mom?   What about the fact my whole life turned upside down - and I died.  Or maybe the whole why am I worth divine intervention thing?   God... My life is so frigging messed up I don’t know where to start.   At least I don’t have the voices anymore or I’d want to be locked up - it would be easier! 

 

      Erica mused for a while, then cursed as she realized the quill pen she’d been trying to use had leaked ink all over the page, leaving a large ugly blot.   Muttering an oath, she blotted up as much as she could - then on a whim used the quill to take the ink and draw little limbs and squiggles outward from the blot - like rays radiating from a dark sun.   And from ugliness, art.   At least this mistake can have the redeeming feature of looking halfway decent.   By the time she was done the ink blot was dry, and she closed the book.  “Time for sleep.” 

 

      She supposed she’d need it too - the plan was to hike north for perhaps two days - maybe a bit less - and activate a moongate.  Erica didn’t know what to expect with them - but she kinda hoped it would be like those retro Ultima games she used to play on the computer.   That would be rad.  

 

      Kai suggested we bring the last horse, in case I needed to ride to keep up too.  I wish he didn’t have to do that, Erica thought.  I hate being a burden - it really sucks.  I mean, they never say they’re annoyed but they look at me like I’m holding them back.  Maybe they’re not and I’m just being overly sensitive?    I think what annoys me more is that even though I have been building up some muscle and endurance, I still might need to ride.  Being weak and frail sucks - If I get back home I seriously need a gym membership

 

      Erica snorted, trying to imagine herself - as she was now - at a gym, with all the watchful eyes on her, all the attention.   She didn’t like a lot of attention - when he was on the streets, attention was usually bad.  No attention was better than bad attention.   Somehow she didn’t think she’d fade into a crowd too well back home.   Another problem for another day.

 

      Getting up from the chair, she walked quietly back to her bedroom, the near-oak boards squeaking a little beneath her feet.  “Hey.”  She called to Christine, who was already tucked in to one half of the bed.  A small candle shielded by a glass barrier lit the small room; Christine looked like she was trying to read one of Kai’s few precious books.

 

      “Hey you.”  She replied.   “Done your goddess journal for the day?” 

 

      “Yeah - whatcha reading?”  Erica asked.  

 

      “I’m not sure yet.”  Christine said, putting the book down.  “I’m starting to get a word here or there - but I can’t make sense of it yet.  It’s starting to come.  How about you?”

 

      “I haven’t tried much, so far.  I’ve been too busy with chopping wood, baking bread, writing in my journal, doing my meditations to not turn into a lizard-woman, and learning to speak their language, that I haven’t taken any time to try and read.”

 

      “Try.”   Christine handed the book to Erica, and sat up to make room for her to sit down.  I wonder if she’ll be able to read it - her mastery of the language has been better than mine across the board since we started learning.  If I can start to read some of it, she should be able to read a lot more of it than I can. 

 

      “Okay - but no promises.”  Erica took the book and looked at it.  It said Legacy of the Ancients - and it was then she realized it wasn’t written in English.   I can read their language?   Holy crap!  When did this happen?    “I think... I think I can read it.”

 

      “Go ahead then - what does it say?”  Christine asked.  

     

      “In the days of the glorious sun, shortly after the exodus of our people from slavery, the surviving Heroes of Legend led what was left of humankind through the Gates of Harad, to the realms now known as Valris, Rillian, Calambray and Madragoor and claimed them as our new homeland.   Other clans travelled to the far east or south, and yet others took to the sea - but these lands we claimed as our home, and here we remained for three thousand years.”   Erica shook her head in disbelief.   “I can’t believe I can read this stuff.  How did you know?”

 

      Christine smirked a little.  “Well as much as I hate to say it, you’ve been a lot better at learning their language than I have - and I figured that if you were better at speaking it, maybe you’d be better at reading it too.   Maybe the amulets work better on you for some reason?”

 

      “I’m not so sure.  I think I heard some Valdan before I met Maeve on earth.  In my voices.”

 

      “How is that possible?”   Christine looked puzzled.

 

      “I don’t know.  Maybe I heard it through the Dreamer, at the House of Broken Dreams?”

 

      Christine didn’t know what to say to that.  It might be possible, as much as anything seems to be possible in this crazy world.   Hearing voices from the dreamer linked to him makes sense, kinda.  It’s a lot less far out than some theories, I guess.    “Did you want to talk about anything?  I’m here if you do.”

 

      “I don’t know where to start, Christine.  I could talk all night - but it wouldn’t change we’ve got to get going early tomorrow.  I don’t know what to say.”   Erica hung her head, letting her lopsided braid fall over her shoulder onto her chest.  “It’s all so complicated and twisted together.”

 

      “It is.”  Christine said.  “But it might get easier to unravel if you talk about it one piece at a time.  Like small bite size pieces, instead of the whole damn thing all at once.”

 

      “Maybe.  Yeah - it probably would.   Not tonight though, okay?   Let’s just make it through the next five days and we can figure it out then.”   Maeve had guessed that the whole thing would be sorted out - with regards to the Hierarch - in the next week or less.  Five days seemed like splitting the difference; either way, Christine understood the point.

 

      “Okay, kiddo - but I’ll hold you to it.”

 

      “Fair enough.”  Erica said.   She crawled in next to Christine, and blew out the candle, and the two of them went to sleep.   As the two of them lay there in the dark, they were lulled to sleep by the steady dripping of melting snow on the roof of the cabin.  It seemed that spring was finally here.

 

     

4