Chapter 23 – The Priory of St. Jillian
177 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      The group of them stood in what appeared to be a large hallway, liberally blessed with doors.  The floor was made of attractive slate tiles worn smooth by countless feet, and the walls were liberally decorated with tapestries and wall-hangings, which depicted scenes that appeared to be from some sort of history or scripture.  The hall was dimly lit by a pair of small lanterns hanging on hooks at either end of the hall - for a moment, Maeve and her company were blinded until their eyes adjusted to the dimmer light.

 

      Once inside, Brother Graham said “A moment, while I fetch someone to wake the Abbot.”   He walked down to a door about halfway down the hall and knocked quietly.  A few moments later, the others could hear him whispering to the person on the other side of the door - and then he came back.  “I went and woke Brother Flavius.  He’s new to the priory, and thus gets the honor of waking in the middle of the night.   He’ll fetch the Abbot straight away.”

 

      “And what do we do until then?”  Maeve asked kindly.  “We’ve come a long way - is there somewhere to sit perhaps?   Erica’s stamina is somewhat less than we hoped, and I’m sure she is - as we all are - tired.”

 

      “The great hall would be best, I think.”  Brother Graham said.  “Right now we are in the dormitory - so quietly, if you please.”  He led the way down the hallway to the left, and so the others followed.   The hallway was quite long - perhaps a hundred feet - with at least six doors on each side breaking up the parade of wall-hangings.  The hallway turned right and passed what seemed to be a pantry and kitchen on the right, and a large store-room full of barrels on the left, before entering the great hall. 

 

      The great hall was probably the largest single room in the entire building - it looked like it could easily seat eighty - perhaps twice that if they squeezed - and which could be used as an auditorium if needed as well.  One end of the great hall was raised - like a stage in a theatre - and the walls of this chamber were high - perhaps twelve to fifteen feet tall, decorated with elaborate wall hangings like the hallway they saw before.   At the end of the great hall above the stage hung a wall hanging depicting the holy symbols of Isundal, Askeline and the Twins, in gold on a field of green cloth.   The hall itself held several long trestle tables, lined with benches.

 

      Brother Graham motioned towards the benches.  “Sit yourselves down, wherever you wish.  I’ll be heading back to the gates - I’m sure the Abbot will be along shortly.”   Brother Graham lit a small lantern to light their table, then turned, and headed back the way they had come.   The light from the single lantern cast many dark imposing shadows around the room.

 

      “They’re awfully trusting.”  Kai said.

 

      “You’re assuming we’re not being watched.”  Maeve answered quietly.  “Patience.  They’ll come for us when they’re ready.”

     

      Christine and Erica sat with a thump, and Christine rubbed her sore feet.  The blisters she had suffered from almost two weeks ago had long since healed, but they were still sore from all the walking - she was too used to driving her car.   Erica on the other hand was glad to just rest.  Her feet ached, her legs ached, and her back ached.  She honestly felt almost dead on her feet - her head still felt full of cotton from learning the Word of Sight.

 

      “I’m just glad to be off my feet, for now.”  Christine said.

           

      “Agreed.”  Erica answered.

 

      “Best not get too comfortable.”  Sir Andred quipped.  “We have no idea what tonight will bring us.   If we can, we should keep our edge - and our wits about us.”

 

      Kai and Maeve sat down as well.  “Might as well take a load off, for the moment, Sir Andred.   What harm is there in soothing ones aching feet as long as we stay alert?”

 

      Andred smiled.  “I suppose there is that.”  He also sat, making sure he had a clear view of the main entrance - Kai and Maeve, on opposite sides of the table had clear views of the other entrances.

 

      A few minutes later one of the doors opposite the way they came in opened - probably from the other wing of the priory - and in came what appeared to be the Abbot and two female acolytes, each carrying a lantern.   The acolytes were wearing simple white robes, while the Abbot was wearing a white robe decorated with gold and red trim, over what appeared to be a nightshirt.   Most of the jewellery and ornaments that would go with his official robes and duties, were noticeably absent.

 

      “Welcome to Saint Jillian’s.”  He said.  “I am Abbot Niall Thurston - and one of you is Maeve Varda...”  He looked over the group of travellers, as if trying to decide who was who.  

 

      Maeve and the others stood, out of respect for the Abbot.   “I am Maeve.”  She said.   “This is my guide, Kai - and the man across from him is Sir Andred of Ogden.  These two ladies are Christine, and Erica.”

 

      “Well met!”  Abbot Thurston said.  “Am I to believe that Erica is the dreamer the Council wrote to me about?   They have a great many questions, as do I.”

 

      “She is, reverend father, although I suspect she is very tired.”

 

      “As are we all at this hour, I expect.”  Abbot Thurston said kindly.  He walked around the table, to get a better look at Erica.  “Do you have any idea of the theological firestorm you’ve created by waking up, young lady?”

 

      “Ummm...  No, reverend father, I don’t.”  Erica said, trying to copy Maeve’s honorific. 

 

      “Well suffice it to say it’s a big one.  Big enough that the Fireannor and Muireanne are coming to Arathel to discuss it with the Council of Hierarchs.  I imagine you might even be taken to speak with them, if they request it.   My job, while you’re here, is to record your story - and ask you some questions which I hope you can answer, about a great many things.”   The abbot was apparently satisfied with his examination of Erica, because he stood, and slapped his thighs.  “But such questions can wait until tomorrow.  I would like to hear your entire tale - all of you.  I understand it dovetails with some unpleasant business regarding the late Bishop Vargas - and knowing the whole tale might help me determine how Erica’s role plays a part in all this.”

                                               

      “That would be fine, revered father.”  Maeve said.  “But if we are to wait until tomorrow, could I suggest that we be given some beds - we have travelled a very long way today.”

 

      “Beds would be fine, Serra Varda!  I have some all set out and ready - although I was led to believe that there would be four of you, not five.”

     

     

      “Sir Andred is a late addition to our group, reverend father - and one whose role plays into our tale as well.”

 

      “Very well.”  The abbot said.  “Come with me, please.”  The abbot led the group through another hallway, similar to the one they entered the great hall from, but which had a richly made thick carpet of crimson and blue running the length of the hall.  There were noticeably fewer doors as well - one room appeared to be a small private library, and another a small chapel - while others purposes were unknown, their doors being shut.   They rounded the corner, and soon came to an area of the priory reserved for guests.   “This suite of rooms is yours, for the duration of your stay here.”  The abbot said.  “It is well appointed - and you will find it both warm and comfortable.   The brothers and sisters of the priory wake early, but breakfast will not be served until nine bells.”

 

      “Thank you, reverend father.”  Maeve said.  “I’m sure the rooms will be excellent.”

 

      “Then good night to you all - until tomorrow.”  The abbot nodded his head politely, and left, his two acolytes in tow.   He looked like he was both eager and curious to hear what they all had to say about recent events.

 

      Maeve motioned for everyone to head into the suite, and then closed the door behind them.  “We should probably get some rest.”  She said.  “Although keeping a person on watch might be prudent.”

 

      Sir Andred nodded.  “Wise, especially if we discover we’re in a den of vipers.  I will watch first.”

 

      The suite itself was spacious and, like the abbot had said, well appointed.  The floor was carpeted with beautiful handmade rugs - some from far Iranor.  The walls were painted a nice color of blue, and decorated with elaborate wooden and plaster trim.  The suite had three rooms radiating off of a central salon or public room, in which there were numerous chairs, divans, and tables.   Many of the chairs were stuffed, and looked quite comfortable.   The bedrooms looked equally well appointed as well - each having a large four-posted bed that could easily sleep two people, along with the dressers, night-tables and washstands you might expect.  The main room also had a luxurious bathroom with indoor plumbing, although the water didn’t appear to be heated, to Christine’s disappointment.

 

      Maeve took one room, while Erica and Christine another, and Kai the last.  Soon, they were getting ready for sleep - although for some, sleep came easier than others.  Christine and Erica, despite their misgivings, fell asleep quickly from their exhaustion.   Kai drifted off soon after - he, like Maeve had been a soldier of sorts at one time, and knew of the value of sleep when it was possible.   Maeve on the other hand felt sleep elude her for some time. 

 

      Will they make their move tonight, or later?  I wish I knew!  It has to be soon, or else the Fireannor and Muireanne might call for Erica and myself - which takes us out of the trap Hierarch Blaine placed us in.   Are the monks in on the plan - or are they as unawares as the Hierarch supposes us to be?   She sighed, trying to expel the stress keeping her awake.   Sir Andred is an unexpected ally in all this.   I do believe he saw an Angel - how else could he have known what he did?   No - it’s a sign, is what it is - a sign that the gods are with us!   Eventually, even Maeve could not stress enough to stay awake, and she too drifted off to sleep.

 

*          *          *

 

      Maeve was woken to the sound of bells, and a gentle knock on her bedroom door.  Bolting upright, she found herself reaching for the dagger she had placed under the pillow by sheer reaction.  Sun leached into the room from behind thick curtains.  “What... what time is it?  Why wasn’t I woken for my watch?”  She said, looking at Kai, standing in the doorway.

 

      Kai laughed.  “It’s alright, Maeve.  Andred and I did the watches last night - we didn’t get here till late, and so much of the night had already passed.  I thought I’d let you sleep a little, since you’ll need your wits about you today.  You can pull a double watch tonight if you feel guilty.”

 

      Maeve shook her head.  It was true - she would need her wits today - but it was just like Kai to do something kind like that, even if it robbed him of some much needed sleep.  He puts too little value on his own well being sometimes, Maeve thought.   He needs to stop being so damned noble and share the load a little.

 

      “Thanks, Kai.”  She said.  “What time is it?”

 

      “The chapel just rang nine bells - breakfast is in the great hall.”

 

      The thought of food made her stomach grumble.  “I’ll be out in a minute.  Close the damn door.”

 

      Kai laughed again, and closed the door so Maeve could dress.  The others were already awake - although Sir Andred still looked a little tired from his watch last night.  And no wonder too, Kai thought.  He said He’s been standing watch for eighteen hours a day at the moongate in Arathel, awaiting our arrival.  He must be exhausted.   I know the Knights Vigilant are able to endure great fatigue and duress, but even he must have been taxed waiting for us.

 

      “Is Maeve coming, Kai?”  Erica called out.  She was trying to braid her hair for breakfast - and even though her early attempts were kind of ropey and odd-shaped, even Kai - who was no expert on braided hair - could see she was getting better.  

 

      “Yeah, soon.”  Kai said.  “She’s just waking up.  Give her a few minutes and she’ll be with us.”

 

      “I think I love this place, so far.”  Christine said, with a silly grin.  “It’s the first place I’ve seen with indoor plumbing and a sort of flush toilet.   You know, this stuff is so common back home everyone has one in their home or apartment.”

 

      Kai laughed.  “Maybe I’ll see it one day... Your magical homeland, where hot water is piped to every room in the house, and food is magically delivered to your door so you never have to walk to the market.  And everyone has one of those cars that drives fast enough to scare the wits out of Maeve.” 

 

      It was obvious Kai was trying to exaggerate, and play up the strangeness of what he thought Christine and Erica’s world was like - but it was equally obvious that he didn’t know how close to the truth his joking statements were.   Erica smiled at the irony, unwilling to spoil Kai’s joke. “Maybe you will, Kai.  You did say you didn’t think you’d like it though.”

 

      “True.  But Maeve and I asked for you to give us a second chance - maybe I should do the same?”  Kai laughed.  “As long as I had a way home, I think I wouldn’t mind seeing your home for a short while.”

 

 

      Christine tried to not laugh at the idea of Kai, in his leather armor and furs, carrying his recurved bow and wickedly sharp shortsword, walking into the Eaton’s center in downtown Toronto.   I pity the rent-a-cops that try to apprehend him, she thought.  Although I’ll bet he has no idea what a Taser is.   Either way, it wouldn’t end well for anyone.  

 

      Sir Andred was obviously lost, trying to follow most of the conversation.  “I take it some of this will make sense, once I hear the whole of your tale later today?”

 

      “Maybe.”  Kai said.  “Some of it doesn’t make sense even to us.”

 

      Maeve’s door opened, and she walked into the room, dressed in clean comfortable clothing - a woolen skirt, with a cotton shirt and a leather vest; her sword was scabbarded at her hip as well.  “Well, we had better not keep the Abbot waiting... who wants to eat?”

 

*          *          *

 

      “...and so from there, we travelled back to Ogden-town, where Maeve and her band parted ways with me.  They said they were heading to Wethom, and then to Arathel; I on the other hand lingered in Ogden-town for some time, before my doubts and concerns about a Dreamer waking, drove me to meet up with Erica and the others in Arathel.   I had hoped to talk with her about her experience with the goddess to put my doubts to rest.”  

 

      Sir Andred finished his speech - the last of a great many said that day in the abbot’s chambers.   Maeve, Kai, Erica and Christine had been closeted with Abbot Thurston, Sir Andred, and two acolytes - a Sister Caitrin and Sister Tamara for the better part of a day.   Sisters Caitrin and Tamara had taken turns writing down every word that was said by Maeve and her friends - and they were obviously tired and sore - just like everyone else in the room.

 

      Abbot Thurston looked very surprised at the tale - and had looked shocked when told about Erica and Christine’s world on the far end of the Void.  Even Sir Andred had perked his ears up over that - he had never heard the entire tale before today.   It was apparently giving both him and the Abbot something to think about.

 

      Abbot Thurston apparently had a few more questions, however.  “Did anything happen, between your leaving for Wethom and your arrival at Arathel?   Any more divine revelations?” 

 

      “No, reverend father.”  Said Erica, following Maeve’s coaching.  “Although Christine and I did get to go to church in Wethom.  It was very different from our home.  I sometimes envy the close relationship you have with your gods - the gods on my world are very distant, and rarely make themselves know to people.   We met a Reechi - there aren’t any such creatures or people like that on our world either.   I did keep my thoughts and ideas about what happened with my vision in this journal.”  She said, pulling out her ‘goddess journal’ as she called it.  “Its written in my native language, so if you want a copy of it, I might need to get someone to write it down later.”

 

 

      “Another time, I think - but yes, I would greatly desire to have a copy of your journal.  Thank you, Serra Helstrome.”  The abbot stood, and brushed some crumbs from his hands - they had all been snacking on tiny tidbits brought to them by the monks in the kitchen, along with small glasses of the fine wine crafted by the priory, sometime this afternoon.   “I think though, that I must end our discussion for today - dinner will be fast approaching, and I’m sure you would all like to get cleaned up somewhat before dinner.  You have given me much to think on.  I am also equally disturbed at Bishop Vargas’ heresy and treason.  I will pray later for guidance on the matter - if one so highly regarded by the church can be turned, then who amongst us is immune to the temptation of sin?  Perhaps none of us - and that is a rather sobering thought.”

 

      “Thank you, reverend father, for hearing our story.”  Maeve said, standing.

 

      “And thank you all, for the telling of it.”  Abbot Thurston said.  “I’ll see you all at dinner - but until then, if you would excuse me?”

 

      With that, they left the Abbot’s office, and headed back to their suite of rooms.  No one spoke on the way - Sir Andred was still mulling over the truth behind Erica and Christine, and the others had been coached to silence by Maeve before arriving.   They only spoke of their plan behind closed doors - and only once Maeve had warded the room.

 

      Once back at their suite, they visibly relaxed.  Maeve quickly cast a spell to ensure their privacy, and lay down on a fluffy stuffed divan.   “I should get one of these.”  She said to no one in particular.   “But knowing me, I’d never be at home to enjoy it.”

 

      “Have you ever thought of quitting, Maeve?”  Erica asked.

 

      “Yes, a couple of times.   But I keep telling myself this is a young girls game, and I won’t be young forever.  Eventually I’ll get too slow, or too whatever, and it’ll be time to settle down to a more normal life.  Assuming I survive, I think I’ll eventually retire to do something more normal... maybe I’ll open a shop of strange curios and enchanted items - like some of the stuff I’ve found on my adventures.  You know, cater to people like me with unusual needs.”

 

      Kai snorted.  “Gods help the burglar who tries to steal from that shop!   He’ll wish he was dead before you’re through.”

 

      Maeve laughed too.  “Probably.  Still, I figure I need to have an exit plan for when this work gets too rough, and a shop like that seems like a pretty good idea.  I’ve got enough money saved to set it up - I just need to spend the time and effort to do it... both of which I lack while I spy for the Council.”

 

      Sir Andred laughed at their comments as well.  “No - I don’t see you as a shopkeeper, Maeve.  You like this life too much - I can see it in your eyes.  You live for things like this.  I’ve seen similar looks in soldiers, born and bred to battle like no one else.  Those that accepted it, did well - and those that couldn’t accept it tried to retire and live a civilian life.  Almost to a man, they couldn’t deal with it - the normal life bored them, and so they filled their life with drinking, or fighting, trying to relive their days when they took life by the throat and lived on the edge.  No - I don’t see you running a shop in your elder years...  Maybe training new recruits and teaching them the ways of stealth and subterfuge - but not keeping a store.”

 

      Maeve considered what Andred said.  Maybe He’s right.  She thought.  Maybe I’m not the kind of person to try and settle down.  I guess I won’t know until I try - and I’ve never been one to give up on a dream because it might be hard.   “Perhaps, Sir Andred.  Perhaps.  But I think I’ll find out one day, all the same.”

 

      Meanwhile, Christine and Erica had gone to the bathroom to clean up - and Kai was waiting patiently for them to finish. 

 

      “Perhaps you should have had less of the Abbot’s fine wine?”  Maeve laughed.

 

      “Perhaps.”  Kai said through clenched teeth.  “I could eat, though.  Those little tidbits he had brought in tasted good, but left a lot to be desired when it comes to filling ones stomach - and those breaded peppers filled with cream cheese aren’t sitting well with me.”

 

      “You’d better hurry girls!”  Maeve called.

 

      “We’re done, we’re done.”  Erica said as she and Christine came out of the bathroom.  She even held the door for Kai, who thanked them both profusely.  “Go.”  She said, then came out to the common room.  Kai didn’t wait for a second invitation, and disappeared into the bathroom.

 

      “When do you think they’ll make their move?”  Christine asked.

 

      “Soon - in the next day or two.   I’ve been wondering how they’ll do it though.  Unless the monks here are all traitors - a hard thing to fathom, seeing as how there are at least fifty monks here, I’m guessing that either the Hierarch will come visit with some helpers - probably skilled fighters or guards - to question you, and he’ll strike during his visit - or he’ll send agents to capture you and take you somewhere where he can question you.  We’re as prepared as we can be for the second event - but the first we might need to plan a bit for.   If he wishes to speak with you privately, for example, you must ask for one of us - Andred, Kai or myself to be with you.  You don’t want to be alone with him for any length of time.  Insist on it, if you have to.”

 

      “Why is it so important to not be alone with him?”  Erica asked.

 

      “Because he might try to read your mind with magic, and discover exactly what we don’t want him to discover.  Kai can tell when someone is casting a spell - I’ve shown him what to look for.  I obviously know when someone is casting a spell - and I daresay Sir Andred has some abilities in detecting evil magic as a Knight Vigilant.   We need to know when he attempts it, because that would be the proof we seek.”

 

      “And then I can strike him down.”  Sir Andred said.   “And if it is not Donal Blaine, like you suspect, if one of us is close to you, we’ll be able to react no matter who the viper turns out to be.”

 

      “We should finish getting cleaned up once Kai is done in there.”  Maeve said.  “Dinner will be ready shortly - and I imagine that there is a good possibility of mandatory prayers being held with dinner.  Also, I imagine Sister Caitrin and Tamara are going to want you to tell them what’s in your goddess journal, either tonight or tomorrow as well, Erica.”

 

      “Fantastic.”  Erica said.  “I can’t believe how tiring it is to sit in a chair all day and talk.  I feel worse than when we walked to the moongate.  Seriously, I’m beat.”

 

      “Try working as a front-line social worker for a year or two and tell me how tired you feel at the end of the day.”  Christine said.  “Most people feel chewed up and spit out after all that.  I know I did.”

 

      “And yet you still do it, don’t you?”  Maeve asked. 

 

      Christine nodded.  “I do - there’s a lot of people who need help out there.  There’s unfortunately a lot of people who abuse the help that’s offered too - which makes my job difficult at times - but I think in the end its worth it.  It is very tiring some days, though.”

 

 

      Kai finally emerged from the bathroom, looking cleaned up, and like he was feeling considerably better.  Before anyone could comment further, the chapel bell pealed out six times - the call to evening prayer and dinner.   They could hear the monks in the hall outside their suite heading towards the great hall.  Some of them were chatting, and others conversing quietly, their words a simple murmur behind the closed doors of the suite.  

 

      “I suppose we’d better go.”  Said Maeve.  “It would be odd if we didn’t come to dinner.  You ready to eat something, Kai?”

 

      “As long as it’s not breaded, or with cream cheese, then hells yes.”  Kai headed to the door of the suite, holding it for Maeve, Erica and Christine. 

 

      Their laughter followed them down the hall, as they walked towards the great hall for dinner.

 

*          *          *

     

      Hierarch Donal Blaine disliked hiding in basements.  He knew he was meant for bigger and better things - but sometimes, there was sufficient need to do something out of the ordinary.   Around him were twelve men and women wearing the garb of monks - all recent additions to the monastery.  All his disciples - followers of Hrask and the Hserinyar - and all Fallen.  Their magic allowed them the ability to disguise themselves, and made them a potent force for use by the Hierarch - which was fortunate, because in the likely occasion that things came to blows, they would be ready.  They weren’t all competent swordsmen - but they all knew a bit about magic, and some a lot more than a bit.   None of them were Vargas’s equal, the Hierarch thought, but maybe in several years some of them would come close.

 

      I know I could walk into the monastery and demand to talk to the girl.  But if I did, there could be a link back to me - especially if Maeve or her friends should suddenly die of mysterious causes.  Or of any causes.  And since its unlikely I’ll be able to get the information from her willingly, I have to go to these ridiculous lengths to get it.   How undignified.   Hierarch Blaine was frustrated from waiting here most of the afternoon - in a wine cellar two floors beneath the main priory.  Fortunately, He’s spend some of the day studying old plans of the priory, and was glad to see the secret passage he thought he’d remembered was where he thought it had been.   

 

      “Brother Gaius - do you have ample supply of the drug to put in the dinner meal?”

 

      “I do, your eminence.”  Brother Gaius said.  “And Flavius has taken steps to deal with the brothers and sisters in the dormitory wing.   Apparently, the Abbot will be giving out some of his wine stores this evening - without his knowledge, of course - to celebrate their esteemed guests.  They’ll all be unconscious before ten bells ring.”

 

      “Good.  Once the majority of the lay brethren are asleep, the rest of you can subdue or kill the rest - and then join me down here for what comes next.   You will join me, Gaius, in taking the girl Erica - we may have to kill or disable one of her friends to do so.   Once we have her, we bring her here - and then I can delve her to find her secrets.  And then we will know the secret of lost Tiamat!   Our return to Hserin will be a triumph - and will signal the fall of the world of men.   Nothing can stand in our way - go, prepare for tonight.  This world is Hrask’s.”

 

            The fallen nodded, repeating the liturgy.  Tonight would be the end of their long search – a search begun long ago at the beginning of history... They could feel the momentous weight of fate and history revolving around them.  They could not fail!   They dispersed, preparing any last minute tasks before their trap was sprung.

 

*          *          *

 

      It was about two hours later when they were able to return to their suite.  Evening prayers took an hour - apparently the monks opened each meal with a hymn, followed by the reverend father giving a sermon, the topic of which was how human hubris was the downfall of the arrogant and self righteous.   Maeve couldn’t tell if the sermon was a subtle voicing of the abbot’s opinion of their tale told that afternoon, or if it was unrelated.  She didn’t hazard a guess.  Sometimes it doesn’t mean anything - a cloud is just a cloud.

 

      After prayers, dinner took an hour or more.   Dinner was bland but filling - baked beans cooked in plenty of water like soup, a dish made of seasonal vegetables, salted fish, cheese, bread, potatoes and fruit juice.  The monks seemed to indicate this was their normal fare - but on festival days the abbot apparently made available several bottles of the priory’s vintages, as well as red meat as part of the celebration.   Maeve ate sparingly, her stomach knotted with stress and anxiety.   None of the others seemed to have any problems either - although Maeve noticed Erica picked at her food - perhaps she was anxious as well?

 

      Once back in their suite, Christine flopped down on a divan, obviously tired.  Kai looked tired as well - and a bit claustrophobic.  He paced around the room, looking like he was eager to be gone.  Maeve sat at a table, and looked lost in thought, while Erica went to her pack and pulled out her goddess journal to write some more thoughts down in it.  Sir Andred went to his pack and got out some polishing rags, and started cleaning his armor and weapons. After about a few minutes of pacing, Kai joined Sir Andred.

 

      Maeve felt it - felt that twinge she felt when something was going to happen.  It would be tonight, she thought.  I’m not sure from where, but my gut says it’s happening tonight.   She tried to think about plans, contingencies, and realized that until the threat appeared, there was absolutely nothing she could do to plan for it other than in the most general terms.   I guess if a plan lasts for only twenty seconds after contact with the enemy, there’s no use in crafting a polished gem of a plan to be tossed unceremoniously in the trash.  In fact, quite the opposite.  Maybe the problem now was over-planning?

 

      “Everyone.”  Maeve said.  “I think tonight is the night - so everyone should catch some sleep while they can.  I’m going to grab some sleep now - Sir Andred, why don’t you go next, and then you Kai.  Someone stays with Erica all the time.”

 

      Christine looked a little miffed at being ignored - but she was realistic enough to know how little use she would be in a fight - and when they might only have a few seconds before an ambush, having someone who could make those seconds count was important.   She didn’t have to LIKE it though!

 

      The others nodded, and began to get ready for bed.  Soon, they were all in their beds and sleeping - save for Erica and Sir Andred.   Erica was writing in her goddess journal - and Sir Andred was still cleaning and sharpening his blade.  

 

      Erica didn’t know what to write - she had been writing about how uncomfortable it made her to be in church when people thought she was the woken dreamer.  She felt like a fraud - she wasn’t a dreamer, really - she just wore the body of one.  She felt like she was lying to the people, just by being.  Erica didn’t like that.  It felt wrong.

 

      “Sir Andred?”  She asked.

      

     

      “Yes, Erica?”

 

      “Do you think I’m lying to people, when people say I’m a dreamer that woke - I mean, I wasn’t a dreamer.  The goddess just put me in the body of one.  Isn’t that kind of lying?”   Erica was hoping for an answer - but any insight would help her resolve the issue.  She yawned quietly.

 

      Sir Andred thought about it a moment, yawning in response to Erica’s yawn.  “I don’t see how.   Maybe the goddess picked you to fill the role of the Dreamer who woke?   It doesn’t say that you had to be the same dreamer - nor that they had to be the same person.  I think most people assume that - but that doesn’t make it true.   We often assume the most likely circumstance.   Sir Andred paused to yawn.  “...but we often lack the information or knowledge to always guess the actual truth.   I guess what I’m trying to say is that what other people assume Isn’t your problem - your problem is discovering why you were chosen, and what you intend to do about it.  Let the other people sort out what they assume or don’t assume.”  Sir Andred yawned again.

 

      “Thank you,” Erica said, before yawning herself.  “That sounds like sage advice.  I can’t believe how tired I am.  Look how we’re yawning.” 

 

      “Agreed - we’re yawning a great deal...  I feel a tiredness falling upon me.”  He yawned again.

 

      “Me as well...  I think I’m going to bed.  Will you be able to stay awake?”

 

      Sir Andred nodded.  “If I feel like fatigue will overtake me, I’ll wake Maeve first.  I’ll watch over you in your room - we should stay close.”

 

      Sir Andred gave her some space and privacy to change into her nightclothes, and then Erica crawled into bed.  He came into the room, and sat on one of the chairs - Christine was already unconscious and snoring quietly.   Erica lay in bed, and drowsily asked a few more questions. 

 

      “Andred... How do you feel about an angel visiting you?”

 

      “I feel blessed and honored for one.”  Sir Andred said.  “I also feel a great weight of responsibility - the task that was set before me was both important and dangerous.  I’m scared I might not survive - but I’m more scared that I’ll screw it up and be responsible for my country failing and my gods and people suffering.   It’s terrifying and awe-inspiring at the same time - and I feel like the gods are at my right hand, guiding it so that I don’t fail - why else would they task me with such a responsibility?  They want me to succeed.  Even with the fear of failure, and my fear of shaming myself before them, the fact they must want me to succeed is very reassuring.”

 

      He waited for an answer, or a comment - but it seemed Erica had already drifted off to sleep.   I wonder how much she heard?  He mused.  He stood watch for another hour, fighting the strange fatigue that beset him. 

 

      All I have to do is keep from falling asleep myself... why am I so tired?   Come to think of it, we were all very tired, which is damned odd.  Sir Andred knew it wasn’t dark magic - he would have detected it.  No - it was something else, but he couldn’t place it.  Food poisoning?  No - no one was sick... poison of a more sinister nature?   Impossible - they would have had to poison the entire monastery...   A horrible sinking feeling penetrated Sir Andred’s being.  Maybe they had.   He tried to stand, to get to Maeve.  She may have a spell to banish the poison.  He thought - but as he stood, his head swam and blackness took him as he passed out onto the floor with a groan.

 

      Sir Andred lay on the floor unconscious for perhaps a minute, before a hidden door opened up in the wall beside the bed where Erica and Christine lay sleeping, and three cloaked men came slinking out.   Two went to the bed to grab Erica - while a third stood over Sir Andred with a blade drawn, waiting for Sir Andred to move.  He did not.   A few moments later, they took Erica, closed the hidden door, and were gone.

 

      They carried Erica through the secret passage, down past two other landings, down into the cellars of the priory.   It was slow going - the secret stairs were rather steep, and they were being cautious not to drop or injure her.   Eventually, they reached the basement cellar.

 

      The room was well lit with lamps set about the room.  Barrels of fine wine lined the walls, leaving an open space in the center of the room where a table had been set up.   The Hierarch was waiting, as were most of the other nine fallen.   The three fallen who had kidnapped Erica laid her on the table, and lashed her to it with ropes.  

 

      “Good work.”  Hierarch Blaine said.  “Flavius is finishing with upstairs - I expect he’ll be back shortly.  Gaius, good job on getting the girl.  Did you have to kill anyone?” 

 

      “No, your eminence.  More’s the pity.”

 

      “Indeed - but if necessary we can finish up with them later.  For now, let’s keep our eyes on the real prize.”

 

      “As you say, your eminence.”

 

      Hierarch Blaine was wearing his ecclesiastic robes - but was also wearing his black ring.   Nothing like a little distraction, if needed.  He thought.  Perhaps they’ll be so busy looking at the robes they’ll miss my ring.  All the better if they do.   “Time to begin.”  He said.

 

      The Hierarch entered his Nairya, and spoke the word of Sight, warding the area from scrying.  Then he cast a spell, and began delving into Erica’ drugged mind.   Delving was usually more difficult - but the drug inhibited a person’s ability to resist mind magic as well as rendering them unconscious.

 

      Where is the information I seek?  He asked.  Strange images of objects and places the Hierarch didn’t recognize blurred past him - things that flew in the air, tall buildings that reached for the sky - all made of glass and steel.  It was amazing - but not what he was looking for.  

 

      Delving deeper, he started to encounter some resistance.  This one is used to resisting commands... strange.  I doubt she’s had practice resisting domination - but even if she has, it won’t stop me.  The blur of images started to slow - revealing pages of a book.  Erica’s mind said they were children’s stories - and a box of colored light showed images of moving dragons.  We’re getting closer!  He thought.  He could also sense her starting to stir - to fight off the drug.

 

      I need her to show me Tiamat before she fully wakes.   Show me, child - SHOW ME TIAMAT!  The command was undeniable - and Erica’s drugged mind couldn’t resist any longer.  A blur of images washed over the Hierarch as Erica’s thoughts moved through his own...   He heard an man on the colored box of light - a narrator, speaking in another language that the Hierarch could somehow understand.   “... And so Marduk, the sky-god slew Tiamat, and divided her body into two, forming the Heavens and the Earth...”  

 

      She can’t show me Tiamat, he realized.  Her world is Tiamat - or what remains of her.   If I can find her world....   “She knows where Tiamat lies...”  He said.   Show me how to get to your world, child... SHOW ME!  Hierarch Blaine was so involved in the interrogation, he wasn’t aware he was yelling aloud at the same time he was command Erica mentally...

 

      It was at that moment, that everything went to hell.

 

*          *          *

 

      Maeve woke to the sound of a heavy thud.   Wakefulness was difficult to achieve - she felt sluggish and slow, like her head was full of cotton wool.  What was that noise?  Is it the attack?   Maeve tried to wake, and couldn’t get her head clear, even as she felt the adrenaline of battle fill her.   Drugged... I must be drugged.  She thought as she tumbled out of bed.  She tried to enter her Nairya - it took long moments, but she managed - and cast a spell to purge her system of poisons.  In seconds, she felt better; more alert, more awake.   The spell burned as she cast it - Body magic was one of her weakest Words - almost one of her Nulls - but it sufficed for now.   Thank the gods I’m paranoid, she thought.   She thanked them, because she habitually cast spells to neutralize poison before eating anywhere she didn’t absolutely trust.   It had saved her life once in Rillian - and now again, in the priory.

 

      “Damn it.”  She said quietly, gasping at the pain.  She’d pay for that later, she knew - and odds were she’d have to try it on Kai and the others too.   Maeve grabbed her weapons, and moved for the main room as quietly as she could.  Whatever made that noise might still be here.

 

      She padded quietly to Erica’s door - it was shut, but she couldn’t hear anything from beyond it - until she heard a tiny thump - like that of a door closing.   But there aren’t any other doors in her room... or doors that we could see, anyway...  Dammit!  A hidden passage!   Maeve pushed open the door to Erica’s room, to see Sir Andred on the floor, unconscious, and Christine in the bed, unconscious as well.   Erica was gone.

 

      Without wasting a moment, Maeve crossed the room, and knelt by Sir Andred.  Entering her Nairya, now that she was awake and clear headed was childs-play, and a moment later her spell to purge venoms and drugs was cast; Sir Andred started to stir.   She quickly did the same for Christine, then left the room to cast the spell on Kai.   If I keep this up all night, I’ll be staring down my Threshold pretty damn soon, she thought.   I’m going to need my magic tonight - I’d better spare what I can.

 

      Kai stirred as he felt a hand touch his forehead.  It felt cool, and feminine.  His thoughts were jumbled.  “Erica?”  No, he thought.  Not Erica.  He opened his eyes to see Maeve standing over him, looking worried and pissed off.  “What happened?”

 

      “We were all drugged.  Erica’s gone.”  Maeve said.

 

      “Shit!”  Kai jumped out of bed, and started pulling on his clothes and weapons.  He was still groggy, but he could tell it was fading.  Maeve must have purged the drug, thankfully.  I hope we’re not too late.  Erica!   Kai felt a sick feeling in his stomach - like he was going to be ill - but it wasn’t the drug - it was from worry.

 

      “I need to check on Sir Andred.”  Maeve said.  “Grab your stuff and get ready - we probably don’t have much time.”  She left the room without waiting to see if Kai did as instructed - she knew she could trust him to react in a crisis.   It was time to call in some assistance, she thought.   Maeve concentrated, and summoned her power - crafting a sending was always difficult, if only for the distance involved.   I only hope I haven’t guessed wrong about it being Hierarch Blaine, she thought.

 

      Maeve called out with her mind, trying to touch her target’s mind.  It was hard at first - the person she was seeking was asleep - but her mental knocking woke her up.   She whispered “It’s time - Saint Jillian’s Priory.  We need your help!”   Maeve could feel the mind on the other end of the link hear, and acknowledge her call for help.  She let the sending end.   Now if only I haven’t screwed up totally and just asked the bad guys for backup, we should be okay, as long as we get to Erica in time.

 

      By the time she got back to Christine and Erica’s room, Sir Andred was on his feet looking like his head was cleared, and Christine was getting up out of bed.  

 

      “What’s going on?”  Christine asked.  “Where’s Erica?”

 

      Sir Andred snarled.  “We were drugged - I felt it a few moments too late.  They probably took her after we all blacked out.”

 

      “Took her?  Took her where?”  Christine asked, starting to panic.

 

      “A secret door.”  Maeve said.  “I heard it close just as I woke.  Sir Andred, are you clear-headed?”

 

      “Aye, enough for what needs doing.”  He said, snarling.  “Lets track these bastards down and give them some steel.”  

 

      “Then let’s find where they took her.”  She moved to the wall, and started searching it closely.  “Christine, you need to get up, and get dressed.  We might need to move quickly and you need to stick close to us.”

 

      “Right!”  Christine said, throwing clothes on as quickly as she could.  “How could they drug us - are the monks in on it?”   She looked into Erica’s backpack, and found her stolen police 9mm pistol.  I’d better take that, just in case, she thought.

 

      Sir Andred shook his head.  “I doubt it, lass - I suspect they have an agent mixed among the novices and acolytes.  They probably drugged the entire dinner meal.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the entire priory is drugged into unconsciousness.”

 

      Kai came into the room.  He looked angry enough to take someone’s face off with his hatchet.  “I checked the hallway outside - there’s no one around.  Without checking the rest of the rooms, I can’t tell if the monks were part of this or not.”

 

      “At this point it doesn’t matter, Kai.” Maeve said.  “We’ve got to find Erica before whoever took her can find what He’s after.  Aha!”  Maeve found a hidden catch behind one of the ornate pieces of trim in the room, and pressed it - and a section of the wall shifted about an inch - enough for her to grab it, and open up a door into a hidden passage between the walls of the priory.  The hidden stairs descended down - presumably to one of the priory’s cellars.

 

      “Christine, stick close to us - but try to stay out of the fighting if you can.   Do you have Erica’s pistol?”

 

      “Yes.”  Christine said.  “I think it still has some bullets left.”

 

      “Good, keep it close in case you need it.  Let’s go.”  Maeve said, a grim determined look on her face.

 

      The four of them crept down the stairs quietly and quickly - quicker than the kidnappers had done so, since they weren’t carrying an unconscious body.   When they reached the first landing, Maeve stopped.   “Damn.   Give me a moment - I need to see which way they went.” 

 

      “Save your spells.”  Kai said.  “The dust and their tracks show they didn’t take this landing - we move on.”

 

      “I knew I kept you around for a reason.”  Maeve said, smiling.  “C’mon.”

 

      “And here I thought it was my charming good looks.”  Kai joked.

 

      They descended another flight of steps, and came to the end of the passage.  Maeve stopped them a moment, as she looked for the mechanism that would open the secret door.   “Once I discover the latch to the door, you and Sir Andred are going to need to go in there and bust some heads.”  Maeve said.  “I’ll probably have to engage any spellcasters.  Christine - do you think you can use that pistol well enough to shoot people attacking me?”

 

      “I... I don’t know.  I’ll try.”  Christine said.

 

      “Good enough.”   Maeve said. 

     

      “May the Twins watch over us, and bless us in adversity!”  Sir Andred prayed; Maeve didn’t know if it helped, but the prayer made her feel better - like maybe the Twins were watching over them, at least a little.  It gave her courage. 

 

      “Aha - here it is.”  Maeve said, as she found the mechanism to open the door.  “Get ready...”  She tensed up, ready to spring into action - and she could feel the others do so too.  “Go!”

 

      She shoved the door open - and Sir Andred and Kai rushed past her into the room. Andred’s gleaming longsword and sturdy shield were at the ready, while Kai had his bow ready with an arrow nocked.

 

      The room beyond was about twenty paces long, and ten paces wide, with oak barrels lining all of the walls.  A few passages and doors led in or out of the room, and it was fairly well lit - the scent of beeswax candles was strong in the air.   In the room’ center, Hierarch Donal Blaine stood, screaming at Erica groggy, half-awake form, while surrounded by twelve men and women who had obviously fallen to the Call of Hrask. 

 

      “Show me how to get to your world, child... SHOW ME!”  The Hierarch yelled.   Erica tried to say something - but it was lost in Sir Andred’s battle cry, and the sound of Kai’s bowstring snapping.

     

One of the fallen dropped instantly, an arrow in his left eye. Then, Sir Andred charged, and cut another down with a slash from his heavy sword.

 

      Maeve took in the scene - ten fallen left; odds were most of them spellcasters - and the Hierarch himself.   She couldn’t help but notice the black ring on his left hand.   “Christine, fire a few shots into the crowd of fallen - and try not to hit Kai and Andred.  Save the rest of the bullets for anyone coming close to us.”  She yelled, going into her Nairya.  He’s trying to delve Erica’s mind - I’ve got to try and distract him, if I can’t stop him!

 

      Let’s see if this gets his attention!   Maeve thought, as she cast a spell, sending a blast of mental energy towards the Hierarch.   She spared a moment to disguise her and Christine’s location with a minor illusion as well - it made sense to Maeve to not be where your enemies think you are.

 

      The blast slammed into Hierarch Blaine, and he screamed in anger and pain, nearly dropping prone from her unexpected attack.  He gasped from the shock, and yelled to his fallen minions “Kill them - kill them all!”   Blaine then stood, and raised a magical shield, even as another spell-blast from Maeve came rocketing in.

 

      Meanwhile the rest of the chamber had erupted into chaos - three of the fallen had engaged Sir Andred in melee, and were trying to cut their way past his prodigious defence.  Another three were casting spells - fire and ice magic, for the most part - at Kai - while the other two were advancing on Maeve and Christine.  The remaining two were trying to protect the Hierarch, adding their strength to the magical wards surrounding their master.

 

      Sir Andred blocked and parried the flurry of attacks coming at him - three attackers at once was difficult at best to defend against - and these were far from ideal conditions.  He groaned as one of their blades got past his shield and cut into his chainmail armor.  He could feel the sting of steel, and feel blood running down his shoulder.  A light hit, at best.  He thought.  Good.   He swung towards one of the fallen - but at the last moment, reversed his swing and cut at another one - the trick worked, and he buried his blade to the hilt in the side of the fallen.  He wrenched the blade out, blood fountaining everywhere as the blade came free.   One down... two to go.

 

      Kai tried to get another shot off, but had to dive for cover as three magical bolts of fire and ice came flying towards his position.  He heard Christine’s pistol fire once, twice, then a third time - and one of the fallen on Kai screamed and fell, blood fountaining out of his shattered left shoulder.   He screamed twice more, and went limp - Kai couldn’t tell if he was dead or unconscious, and really didn’t care either way. 

 

      The other two fallen approaching Maeve and Christine drew swords and moved to attack - but their blades found only the illusion Maeve had crafted to disguise their location.  “A trick!”  One of them yelled.  “Get them!”   They turned and charged Christine, who was kneeling and holding the gun with both hands, trying to aim at the charging serpent-men.

 

      Maeve hurled another blast at Blaine and his two fallen minions - but their magical shield held.  Dammit - with both of them protecting him, I can’t break through!  She could see Erica behind Hierarch Blaine, trying to break free from the ropes binding her.  Come on!  She thought.  Use your head, Erica!

 

*          *          *

 

      Erica came to, feeling groggy, and hearing a voice scream in her head, demanding she tell it how to find her world in the Void.  She tried to fight it - fought with every iota of strength she had - but the will of the voice in her head was too strong.  She could feel she was tied up at her wrists and ankles, tied rather uncomfortably to a wooden table.  All around her, she could see and hear the sounds of battle - Kai was dodging magical blasts of energy, while Erica heard gunshots and screams of the injured.  Maeve was hurling blasts of mental energy, which were being blocked by a magical barrier, probably made by the two serpent men nearest her - and an older man in elaborate church robes was standing over her - obviously the source of the mental voice commanding her.   A part of her mind thought this must be the corrupted Hierarch - but the part of her withering under his searching gaze was compelled to relive the way through the Void.

 

      She tried to fight it - but the evil sorcerer’s will was too strong.  Against her will, she felt herself reliving the first time she translated to the Void - she could hear Norm and Dave dying - smell them burning - and then the second time, when she was consumed by terror under the attack of the demon Maeve called an Uttuku.  She felt him rummage around in her memories - watching her follow the link binding the old him - Eric - to the dreamer on Mercia, and she screamed in frustration.  Damn him for making me see that again!  Norm... Dave!  God dammit!   He knows!  He knows where Earth is!

 

      Indeed, the Hierarch laughed, dropping Erica - she was useless to him now.  “Gaius, Flavius - I have what I need.”  He said.  “So let’s kill these fools and be done with it.” 

 

      “With pleasure.”  The fallen called Gaius said.  “We’ll keep the shield up - destroy them at your leisure, your eminence.”  

 

      I have to get untied... I’ve got to try and stop him.  Erica thought, while trying to test her bonds.  It was no good - even if she’d been a great deal stronger, the ropes were too new, and too thick to break out of.   Maybe I’m using the wrong muscles?  She thought.  She tried to concentrate - to make the ropes listen to her commands.  She whispered a Word of Binding - and could feel the knots in the ropes - all made of hundreds of tiny strands of hemp.  She teased the fibers apart, loosening the knots - pulling them apart with magic.  One by one the knots fell loose - and she knew she could shrug free of the ropes at any moment.   As the spell faded, she also felt the wash of fatigue sweep over her - like a wave of tiredness that threatened to catapult her back into unconsciousness - but this time it felt less intense, like perhaps she was getting used to the feeling.   Maybe I’m getting better?  She thought.

 

       Meanwhile, she heard the screams and cries of injured men and women - and saw her friends were fighting for their lives.  Kai had put one more fallen down with an arrow in his chest - the fallen was alive, but unable to fight back from the pain of his injury - his screams filled the room.  Sir Andred bled from a half-dozen small wounds, even as his cleaving blows sundered the sword of one of his foes, and carved into its chest, spraying him in its lifeblood.   Hierarch Blaine sent a bolt of magical fire towards Maeve - which missed only due to Maeve’s defensive illusions, and Christine fired off the last of the bullets at the two approaching fallen, unleashing five - maybe six shots.   Erica could have sworn Christine was looking away from her target when she shot - like she didn’t want to see the carnage that she was inflicting, screaming in terror as she fired.   One of her targets was hit by two of the shots - the first took him in the right wrist, nearly severing his right hand - the second hit took him in the face, and he died instantly.

 

      “Enough of this!”  The Hierarch yelled, and held up his hand, holding a knife made of magical fire - held over Erica’s prone body.  “Drop your weapons and surrender, or I kill her.”

 

      Maeve paused - she knew if she surrendered, they were all as good as dead... But maybe we can play for time, pull some trick out of the woodwork.  If we don’t surrender, he’ll kill Erica right now.  Maeve felt sick - a few weeks ago, she’d have killed Erica herself to save Blaine the trouble - but since she’d met Eric - now Erica, she’d felt a bond growing between them, along with a growing feeling she associated with her little brother Nile.  She couldn’t risk her getting hurt - not when there was still a chance.   Maeve dropped her sword, and let her spell-shield drop. 

 

      When Kai and Sir Andred saw Maeve drop her defences, they did as well.   Kai dropped his bow, snarling.  “If any of you hurt her, I swear I’ll kill you.”

 

      Erica was torn between dismay and an odd sense of elation, when she heard Kai utter his threat.   “No - kill him!”  She yelled.   “Don’t worry about me!”   She would have said more, but one of the fallen - Gaius, she thought, punched her in the face so hard she nearly blacked out.   Her head fell hard to the table, and she had to fight to keep from losing consciousness.   The bastard Gaius turned away from her, to look back at what he considered serious combatants. 

 

      “So kill me, human.”  Gaius mocked, laughing when Kai could only snarl in futile rage.

 

      Hierarch Blaine looked over the bloody tableau where their battle had been so recently taking place.  Seven of his fallen were dead or dying - a small price for the ultimate victory!   “We are going to take Erica with us, out of this priory - and you are going to stay here.  If we see any evidence of being followed or spied upon - mundane or magical - she dies instantly.   We’ll release her when we’re free and clear.   Do you agree?”

 

      “Do we have a choice, you bastard?”  Kai yelled.

 

      Maeve tried to calm him...  “It’s Erica’s only chance - we need to do what he says.”

 

      What the fuck are they doing?  Erica thought.  Why aren’t they killing him?  Me?  Oh HELL no - there is no way I’m going to be some stupid victimized damsel in distress.  I’m not going to be responsible for all of us losing and this evil son of a bitch destroying their world and mine.  Hell no!

 

      Sir Andred glared in impotent fury.  He didn’t mind sacrificing himself for his cause - for slaying the traitor in the church, as the angel had said - but the angel also said to protect Erica.  He couldn’t sacrifice her to stop Hierarch Blaine.   “There will be another time, villain.  Pray we do not meet again - for if we do, you will breath your last.”

 

      “I’m sure.” Hierarch Blaine said drolly, turning to their ersatz leader, Maeve.  “I know how you got this far Maeve - how you tried to kill Vargas, and screwed up everything we had been planning for almost a decade...  That I understand.  What I don’t understand is when he summoned the second demon... how did you defeat it?”

 

      Maeve saw Erica’s eyes blaze with fury, and saw the ropes fall away from her wrists and ankles, as she stood up behind the Hierarch and his two fallen minions.   She knew Kai and the others could see it too.   She saw power build on Erica’s hands, and smirked.   “You don’t understand, Blaine.”  Maeve taunted.  “I didn’t defeat the demon... she did.”   She looked past the Hierarch, towards Erica.

 

 

      Hierarch Blaine was confused for a moment - then realized Maeve meant Erica!  He whirled, chanting a barrier spell - only to see her standing, unbound a few yards away, her hand glowing with incredibly bright greenish-white light - and then he was engulfed.   The destructive light tore at his shield, shredding it like it was soft wood - and then it buckled and all he felt was pain... like every part of his was trying to tear itself in two, down to the smallest fragment.  He screamed as the light consumed him, and for him, everything went black.   

 

      For Erica, on the other hand, the spell went perfectly - she knew what to do, from the last time - but she realized she had pulled far too much power, which was probably why she got hurt so badly last time - so this time she drew far less.  Anvi isn’t here to save me this time - and dammit, I don’t want to die.  She thought.  But this guy is going down!   As the spell ended, she screamed as horrible pain clamped down on her head like the worst headache she’d ever had, with spots flashing in front of her eyes.  Crippling fatigue washed over her, and the pain stopped - she blacked out, unconscious.

 

      Everyone else however stood in shock, except perhaps Maeve, who had seen this once before.  The greenish-white light struck the Hierarch, and he glowed from the impact of it, shimmering like he was on fire and lit from within by a bright light.  Pieces of the Hierarch shredded and fell off - turned to dust by the magical power of whatever spell Erica had cast.   It looked to Christine like he had been hit by one of those weapons on Star trek - the ones that disintegrated what they hit...  Except Hierarch Blaine didn’t disintegrate - at least, not all of him.  He screamed, and what was left of him fell to the ground, either dead or unconscious.  

 

      Everyone stood for a moment in pure shock - at the amazement of what had just happened.  Then the moment passed, and a lot of things happened at once.  Erica fell to the floor, unconscious - Maeve could tell she was hurt by the casting of her spell - but how badly she couldn’t tell.   Maeve ducked and rolled, trying to grab her sword - while Kai flipped his hatchet out of his belt and threw it at one of the fallen - the fallen took the axe in the chest and fell, blood burbling from the sucking chest wound, his ribs crushed.   Sir Andred drew a dagger - and the fallen on him slashed at him with his blade, cutting into Andred’s hastily raised shield. 

 

      The Fallen called Flavius screamed to the others “Kill them!  Gaius and I will get the master to safety!”    His cohort Gaius grabbed the body of Hierarch Blaine, and made for the near wall, opening a secret door - one different from the one Maeve and the others had come into the cellar room by, while Flavius covered their retreat. 

 

      “Stop them!”  Maeve called out.  “We can’t let them get away!”  She leapt out of her roll with her blade in her hand, and stood ready before the last fallen near her and Christine.  Christine hid behind Maeve, frightened but unwilling to flee.   The fallen - this one a woman - readied her blade, and chanted a word - and Maeve saw the blade glow with earth magic...  She’d seen such enchantments before - they usually made the weapon uncannily sharp.  So I suppose the secret is not getting stabbed in the first place, huh?  Who’d have guessed?

 

      Flavius and Gaius carried their defeated leader into the secret door, and closed it behind them, effectively barring any pursuit, leaving only two fallen left alive and functional in the cellar - the male fighting Sir Andred, and the female facing off against Maeve.   They knew they were as good as dead - but their role was to buy time, not survive, so they did the best they could.   The fallen on Andred came in low and quick, stabbing around Andred’s shield to his right flank...  A blow Andred could normally have blocked with ease - but with his numerous wounds, not so easily done.  The sword got around his defence, and stabbed into his coat of mail - but whether or not it penetrated the sturdy steel links, he couldn’t tell, except by Sir Andred’s groan of pain.

 

      The other fallen moved towards Maeve, swinging her supernaturally sharp blade in arcs before her.   “Go ahead, human - parry my strike.  My blade will cut yours in half like butter.”  Maeve danced backwards, staying out of its reach - forcing Christine back as well.  

     

     

      Maeve noticed they were running out of room to retreat into - when Kai’s arrow took the serpent woman in the side of the neck.   She fell, coughing up blood and choking on it - she dropped and fell prone... Maeve knew the serpent woman only had seconds to live.   Seconds too long.  She thought, stepping on her neck, shoving the arrow in further and crushing her larynx.  Way too long.

 

      Meanwhile, Sir Andred roared with anger, smashing the fallen who stabbed him with a blow from his shield.  The blow staggered the serpent man, who stumbled back from the enraged knight vigilant, who slammed him again, and again with the shield.   Then, while the serpent man stood there dazed and almost unconscious, Andred stabbed him in the heart, ending him.   The last fallen fell off his knife to land in a heap on the floor.

 

      Christine looked around and saw the carnage the recent battle had wrought - Kai was scorched and frozen in a couple of places, and Sir Andred was cut several times from the blades of the fallen.  Maeve looked like she was ready to pass out from spellcasting fatigue - and Erica was on the floor, hurt - maybe badly.  The dead and injured fallen lay on the floor, most of them bleeding out the last few drops of lifesblood they possessed, while a few were moaning in pain from their wounds, or else mercifully unconscious.  The entire room smelled of blood and death...  And she was covered in the stink of gunpowder and the blood and brains of the serpent man whose head she had blown off.   It was too much.   The last Christine knew was the floor rising to meet her as she fainted dead away.

 

      Maeve saw where the secret door had sealed - the door through which the two serpent men Gaius and Flavius had dragged the dead or injured Hierarch Blaine.   “Sir Andred - over there!”  She pointed, and rushed over to the sealed portal, searching for the hidden catch to open it, so they could continue their pursuit.   Sir Andred rushed over and tried to help her find the catch as well. 

 

      In the meantime, Kai rushed across the room to Erica.  Thank the gods!  He thought.  She looks like she’s still breathing!   He picked her up, and checked her for any unseen wounds - there were none.   Rather than put her back on the floor, he carried her carefully back to the table, and lay her down on it.

 

      The few seconds Kai had spent checking Erica were seconds well used by Andred and Maeve - it took perhaps fifteen seconds for the two of them to find how to open the door, now that they knew it was there - and together they surged into the passage beyond... to find an empty chamber.  The blood trail from Hierarch Blaine led to the center of the room - another cellar, lined with huge oaken barrels - and ended in a circular ring of soot-stained ashes, about fifteen feet in diameter.

 

      “What in the gods’ name happened to them, Maeve?  Where are they?”   Sir Andred was wild eyed with rage - if his wrath alone could have struck down Hierarch Blaine, he would already be dead.   “I cannot fail the Angel!  They cannot escape!”

 

      Maeve studied the circle, and cast a spell of detection.  She could feel her threshold straining - like she was getting close, but for now she ignored it.  I have to... We need to know what happened.   As the Sight fell over her, she could sense the magical aura lingering around the circle of soot, and began to study it.  “I haven’t ever seen this exact aura.”  Maeve said.  “In fact the only thing that comes close is... what Erica did to get here.   I think they somehow used magic to teleport away.  They are beyond our reach.  I’m sorry, Sir Andred.”

 

 

      “NO!   Damn it - I can’t fail in this!  I was entrusted by an Angel to see him dead!”   Sir Andred was obviously upset - his rage more directed at himself, for failing in his duty, than directed at Maeve or her friends.  “I failed...  I failed the Angel.”   He fell to his knees, and dropped his dagger and shield, tears dripping down his face.   “May the gods forgive me.”

 

      Maeve didn’t know what to say.  Teleportation was a magic long thought lost - it certainly hadn’t been seen in over a thousand years.   The idea that they could teleport one individual, let alone three at once, was astonishing.   Then again, so was whatever Erica had done to Blaine.  Blaine and the two serpent men could be literally anywhere on Mercia.  They’re gone. 

 

        She clasped her hand on Sir Andred’s shoulder as a sign of support, and went to see how Erica was - she might need medical attention.    She could only pray Hierarch Blaine died from his wounds.

 

*          *          *

 

      All Donal Blaine could feel was pain and fire...  Every nerve felt like it had been seared with a hot iron, and he could feel flesh, burnt to bits, crumbling from him with every step his Fallen servants took.   He knew he was a dead man - it would be a miracle if he survived the night.   We were so close, he thought.  To fail now?  Damn that Maeve and damn her friends too!  What kind of magic did the girl Erica possess to do what she did?  Impossible!

 

      The Fallen soldiers Gaius and Flavius carried the crippled and dying Hierarch into a lavish sitting room.  A table in the back was shrouded in shadows, and a single man sat there, concealed by the dark.  Even wounded as he was, Donal Blaine could feel his presence from across the room.  Who is he?  What is he doing here?  Has one of the Masters come?

 

      His questions were soon answered, when he heard Bishop Vargas’ voice emerge from the shadowed booth.  “It seems we have both underestimated Maeve and her friends.”   He stood and walked forward.  “Did you learn what we need?”   Vargas’s eyes were unusually intense, and he seemed hale enough for someone who narrowly escaped death recently, although unnaturally aged.

 

      “I have... and I’ll be happy to relay it, once you fetch some healing potions, Vargas!”   Hierarch Blaine’s voice was full of pain and suffering.

 

      Vargas Elm’s dark laughter sent a chill through both the Hierarch and his Fallen guards.   “I am not your lackey to command, Donal.  You may have been higher ranked than I in the church, but you were never my superior.”   He walked over to Donal - and the two Fallen stepped back, awed and afraid.  “Tell me what you know, or I will take it by force.”

 

      “Why?  We’re on the same team...”  Donal asked in confusion.  “We both want Hrask to succeed, to destroy the gods of Man - why betray me?”   Donal knew that once Vargas knew Erica’s secret, his life would end.

 

      “Because, like Holy Hrask, I don’t share power.  I will be the one to wake Tiamat and return her to Hrask - not you.   It will be me reaping the rewards of our god - not you, and not us.  Just me.  I will use his grace to raise my love, Awai - and we will change Mercia forever.   You never once figured into the equation, Blaine.   The fact you never even suspected it shows how foolish you were.”

 

      Bishop Vargas summoned his magical strength - much of it had returned since his dramatic loss several days ago at the House of Broken Dreams - and drilled into Donal Blaine’s mind...  In the Hierarch’s weakened state, it was child’s play to retrieve what he needed.   When it was over, he used the same spell he used to read his mind, to cause the Hierarch to forget how to breath.  It was over quickly.

   

      Vargas walked over to the dead Hierarch, and found what was left of his hand.  He pulled, and in a moment a black iron ring came off just as the finger that wore it pulled free.  Vargas took the ring, and put it on.   “At last.”   He clenched his fist in triumph.  “I have a Black Ring once more.   Victory is within our grasp!”  He said to the Fallen.  “Tell the others to begin the ritual - I intend to be on this ‘Earth’ by tomorrow night.  Tiamat must be found.   This world is Hrasks!”

 

      The Fallen bowed - and did as they were commanded.  Something had obviously happened to Vargas while he was up north.   He was changed - more powerful for sure - but also more determined.  More zealous.   Driven.   They realized if this was not the time, it never would be.  The ritual must begin.  They left to tell their comrades.   By this time tomorrow, for the humans of Mercia, the beginning of the end would be upon them.

 

 

4