Chapter 24 – Visitation
210 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      ... so in the end, the Hierarch Lissa Brentworth showed up at the priory, and found the great majority of the monks asleep - still drugged from whatever poison the fallen disguised as monks had placed in that evening’s meal.  There was also evidence that many of the monks had partaken of drugged wine, which aided in their subdual.   Sir Andred and Kai carried Christine and myself out of the wine-cellars of the Priory, and Maeve attempted to track the evil Hierarch with her few remaining dribbles of magical strength - to no avail.

 

      Hierarch Brentworth had sent two dozen men, plus two very skilled mages - at least, Maeve seemed impressed with their talents... she said ‘They were as good as she was at finding the truth’, which seems to be a compliment when coming from her.   Maeve is proud of her talent with sight - so they must have been pretty good.  

 

      A few of the fallen - the serpent men we fought in the basement - were still alive.  The mages used their magic to determine the truth of what happened here - they also apparently questioned Kai, Maeve and Sir Andred, although I don’t know if they used magic for that - Christine and I were still out cold.  Christine woke fairly quickly - but I was out for another hour or two.  I’m told Kai didn’t leave my side.  That’s sweet.

 

      After the wizards working for Hierarch Brentworth reamed the minds of the surviving two serpent men, it was pretty much accepted that Hierarch Donal Blaine was a traitor, a worshipper of Hrask, a wearer of the Black Ring, and in general a major asshole.  They had a harder time believing that Donal Blaine’s henchmen - sorcerers of some skill, but not masters of the black ring themselves - could craft a spell to teleport all three of them away... but the fact remains that they’re gone.   Maeve couldn’t find his Ring, either - so maybe he still has it, or maybe it disintegrated.  We found most of his hand?

 

      Maeve told the sorcerers that she thought Blaine could be dead, but wasn’t sure - and really, that’s about as close as we can get to knowing.   Their spellcasters cast all sorts of auguries and scrying magics - and all they could tell was that he - or his body - seems to be warded from their sight, by a greater power than they can bring to bear.  

 

      Apparently, Maeve says the Hierarchs are spreading the rumor that Hierarch Donal Blaine died of a sudden illness.   I wondered why they would lie - but Maeve said it was to protect the church’s reputation, so that people didn’t lose confidence in the institution because of one deranged and evil man.  And his apprentice. 

 

      We’ve been stuck here at Saint Jillian’s priory for the last two days, while guards crawl all over the place, searching for clues.   I apparently drew a little too much juice in my last blast, and wiped myself out - but I didn’t go over my Threshold - so yay!   Seriously though, Maeve told me not to do that again unless it’s a life or death situation, because that kind of magic is too dangerous to use casually.   She seemed kinda scared of it...   I hope it’s not that ‘harbinger of the apocalypse’ stuff again.   Maybe it’s something else?   

 

      Sir Andred has been really depressed - he feels he failed the angel.  Maeve and the others told him he fought well - but he doesn’t listen...  I get the impression that he’s going to try and hunt him - I mean the corrupted Hierarch - down.  I hope not - I don’t think it will end well for him, especially if he goes it alone.   He knows no one has even the slightest clue where to look - but he doesn’t care.   He says it’s his duty.

 

 

      Maeve explained the whole tale to Hierarch Brentworth - who apparently is reporting all of what happened here back to the Council and their High King and Queen.   Serra Brentworth wasn’t thrilled with the idea of Maeve setting a trap for her peer - especially when he got away - but even she could see that if Maeve had accused him, without proof, it would have likely meant all of our deaths in the end.

 

      Maeve and by proxy, Kai finally got paid - pretty well too, from the smiles they got when they received their rewards.  Sir Andred turned down any reward - he said until he had succeeded in slaying Hierarch Blaine, he deserved none.  Even Christine and I got a reward - although I’m not sure where I can spend a bag of silver and electrum coins once we go back home in a few months - assuming I’m able to learn how.  What the hell is electrum made of anyway?

 

      The Hierarch said Maeve could stay and train me how to get home - which is cool, I guess.  Apparently the Council agreed it was safer if I was gone - although Serra Brentworth said no one would force me to leave if I wanted to stay.  Now I suppose I have several months of practice before I know if I’m ready to get Christine and I home.  I don’t even know if I want to go home...  I miss Angie, but aside from her and Christine there’s literally no one there for me.  I’m not counting dad - I think that’s pretty obvious.  I’m more than a little conflicted about him, so I guess I do have some unfinished business...  I’d like to say my goodbyes to Norm and Dave, if nothing else.  They deserved far better than they got - and they were better dads than my dad Anders could ever hope to be.

 

      I still wonder who the girl whose body I now wear once was...  The church officials are looking into it, but Maeve thinks the odds of them finding out is fairly low - not impossible, just low.  After all, there probably aren’t that many pretty red-headed girl mageborn dreamers in Valris about my age, right?  Someone must remember the girl I once was... or something.  

 

      Anyway, I think it’s time for sleep, so I need to finish up.  I’m learning how to do magic tomorrow - how cool is that?  I’ll write again soon when I have something useful to say.  Seeya soon, journal.”

 

      Erica put the quill pen down and rubbed her cramped wrist.  This was the third quill tonight she’d gone through writing down what had happened to them in the last few days... bird quills were not that sturdy compared to the steel nibbed pens or ballpoint pens she could have used on Earth.   She blew on the page to help the ink to dry, and then tucked her goddess journal away for the night.   She was also starting to get some of Maeve’s habits - she tucked the book into her backpack, not the dresser.  No telling when we might need to leave quickly, after all.

 

      “Done for the night?”  Asked Christine

 

      “Yeah - my wrist is killing me.  I suppose I’ve got a big day tomorrow, with my first official magic lesson and all.”   Erica grinned - she was really looking forward to it too.  

 

      “That’s great!   The sooner you start learning, the sooner we get home... That is, if you want to go home.”   Christine said, making a question out of the statement.

 

      “Of course I do, I guess.”  Said Erica.   “I don’t really know what’s there for me, though, other than Angie and you.   What else would I do?  Stay here?”

 

      “You could, you know - after you take me home.”  Christine said.   “You seem to like it here a lot better than I do - you might be able to make it work.   I know a certain woodsman who might appreciate your staying.”

 

      “What?!  Kai?  Why would he want me to stay?”

 

      “Think about what you said for a minute...  You’re a young and pretty girl who likes the outdoors - and who apparently likes him enough to dive in front of a firebolt meant to kill him.  Why the hell wouldn’t he like you?   Whether you like it or not, He’s reacting to you as if you’re a girl - and people back home are going to do it too, so you might as well get used to the idea.”

 

      “Oh my god... What do I do?”  Erica looked a bit panicked, like a deer caught in the proverbial headlights. 

 

      “I suggest you sleep on it, and then do what makes you happy.”  Christine said.  “Do what’s right for you.   The easy part is only you can decide what that is - so no one can decide for you, unless you choose to let them.   Angie would survive you coming back, I think.  I’d miss you too, but to tell you the truth if I never see another spell-chucking maniac or a snake man with a sword trying to kill us, it’ll be too soon.  This place is too damn strange for me.  I want to go home.”

 

      “Got your ballnut seeds and healing ointment?”  Erica asked.

 

      “In my pack already kiddo, along with a pouch of wensin root seeds too.”  Christine smiled.   Even if I do lose my house, I’ll be sitting pretty if these seeds will grow back home.  Sure I won’t be a social worker - but I suppose millionaire all-natural homeopathic remedy tycoon is a good replacement job.”

 

      “I’ll do my best, Christine.  I know you want to go home - but Maeve’s talking months, if not longer.”  Erica really was concerned - she knew Christine didn’t like it here - and still felt guilty for getting her involved in the first place.  “If I hadn’t brought Maeve to your house...”

 

      “I know kiddo.  I know.  Frankly, as much as I want to get home now, I’d rather we get home in one piece, and not eaten by demons.   I can wait.”

 

      “Thanks.”

 

      Erica was pretty tired.   The last few days had been spent learning how to fight with a knife and her fists with Kai and Sir Andred - Maeve had been too busy dealing with the Hierarch and her sorcerers.   Her muscles, such as they were, were sore all over, and bed seemed like a welcome respite. Erica got ready for bed, and crawled under the sheets.  They smelled nice - the sheets - like fresh flowers.   She didn’t realize that the smell was her.   Soon, she was asleep.

 

*          *          *

 

      Erica drifted asleep for some time, before she woke in what appeared to be a dark room, lit by a silver glow.   The walls were shrouded in darkness - there was no way to tell how big the room actually was - and the floor appeared to be made of inky blackness.   Erica was standing alone, in her nightgown, in the center of a circle of the silver light.   I must be dreaming.  She thought.  Where am I?

 

      “You’re here with me, silly girl.”  A woman’s voice said.  The voice was familiar - but somehow different from what she remembered.

 

      Erica whirled around to see a beautiful woman in the prime of life - maybe late twenties, early thirties.  She had long red hair and a full ripe body - the kind that any man would kill for.  At her belt was a familiar set of glass keys - although these ones were red, and in her hand she carried what Erica figured must be a dagger at first, but what she soon realized were elaborate scissors.  She went to one knee, and bowed her head.  “You’re the Goddess - one of the Ladies of Mercy, aren’t you?”   She didn’t really have to ask - the beings force of personality was immense - Erica knew nothing mortal could radiate the sheer aura of power given off by the person in front of her. 

 

      “Yes.”  She said.  “You met me as Seleni, the maiden.  Now you meet me as Thuria, the mother.  I can also be Doviar, the crone, when I wish to be.”   She slowly walked over to Erica, and with a single finger, lifted head up so that Erica was looking directly at her face.   Somehow, Erica realized she was standing - she didn’t remember standing.

 

      “I need to ask you a favor, young Erica.  I need you to save my world and yours from destruction.  The man you know as Vargas Elm has used ancient magics to transport himself to your world, in order to resurrect Tiamat - one of our greatest foes.  If she should be brought back, both my world and yours would be laid to waste.  Will you help me?”

 

      “But... we killed Vargas.  He’s dead.”  Erica said, surprised.  “What happened to Donal Blaine?”

 

      “Vargas lives, if but barely - and only because he forged a pact with dark forces.  Donal was betrayed by Vargas and slain.  Vargas Elm must be stopped.  My question stands, little one.”

 

      I... how do you say no to a Goddess?   “Of course...  It’s the least I could do, after you saved me, I mean, when I died.”   Erica was finding it hard to not be overcome by her presence.

 

      “Erica, I didn’t save you - I just told you how to save yourself.   You and the girl who once was your host were tied so tightly together that when you died, you were able to ‘move in’ to her empty shell like it was your own.  I simply told you how.”

 

      “I didn’t kill her did I?”  Erica asked, appalled at the idea.

 

      “No - she was already gone.  The dreaming sickness had taken her - her body was just waiting to die.  Now, in you, it has a new chance at life.  You were always going to be the Dreamer that woke, Erica, whether you died on Earth or elsewhere, you would have woken here - inside her.”  The goddess Thuria was speaking kindly, with her hand on Erica’s arm as if to lend strength. 

 

      “Why me?”

 

      “Why not?   You are brave.  Heroic.  Kind.  Willing to accept change.  There are few who fit all those categories.   Would you rather it was different?   That I had not come to you?”

 

      “I... no.  I don’t know.”  Erica was flustered.   “I don’t know what you expect of me.”

 

      “I expect you to be you.  To do your best, and save the worlds.  Nothing more.”

 

      “I don’t know if I can.”  Erica knew Thuria wasn’t trying to force her - although she was sure she could have.  She was speaking kindly and gently.  She wanted Erica to choose herself.

 

      “I know.  I don’t know if you can, either.  But I think you have to try.”  

 

      “I know.”  Erica said.   “I’ll try.  I’ll try to stop him.”

 

      Thuria smiled at hearing that, and a glorious glow fell over them both in her joy.  “Thank you, my daughter.   I know your time here has been filled with grief and pain - but I promise, I will make it up to you.  Should you succeed, your days will be long and fruitful, and filled with much joy.  I will extend this blessing to any who choose to aid you, as well.  Tomorrow at dusk, stand in the fields outside the priory and I will take you across the Void myself, protecting you and any who travel with you from the Demons who reside there.   I will also give you a final gift...  If you should desire to return here to Mercia when your appointed task is done, stand under a full moon and pray to me.  I will come for you and those with you, and bring you home - but only the once, and in doing so I will erase the memory of your home’s location in the Void from you, so that the threat of Tiamat’s return is gone forever.”

 

      Erica didn’t know what to say.  There was nothing to say.  She nodded her head.

 

      “Now sleep, my daughter.  It is time for change in the worlds of Mankind.”

 

      Erica fell asleep at Thuria’s touch - and everything went black.

     

*          *          *

 

      Erica woke to the sound of songbirds chirping on the windowsill of her room.  The warm spring sun was streaming in through the curtains, lending warmth to the sheets where she dozed...  Then suddenly, the dream she had last night - no the visitation - crashed into her memory, and she jumped out of bed like she was on fire.

 

      Oh My God!  I talked to the Goddess again!  What the hell do I do?   Erica looked around - Christine wasn’t there; the door to the bedroom was closed.  She could hear friendly voices on the other side.   I have to tell them!  She thought. 

 

      Without thinking she pushed open the doors to her bedroom, and saw Kai and Maeve, Erica and Sir Andred, all chatting and getting ready for the day.   Kai smiled, and said “Hey, sleepyhead!”   Then they all stopped and stared at her - like something was wrong.  They seemed... perplexed.

 

      “I talked to the goddess again!”  Erica said, excited and worried all at once.  “Vargas Elm is alive - and He’s on Earth.  I’ve got to go stop him and kill him before he can destroy both worlds.  And I’ve got to go tonight.”  

 

      “What!?”  Christine exclaimed - as did Maeve, Kai and Andred.  Their shock was evident - but they came to their senses quickly enough.  Maeve, Kai and Sir Andred all made signs of the crescent moon, followed by their hand over their heart - Erica guessed it was the Valdan version of a catholic crossing themselves, back home.

 

      “Vargas somehow survived the House of Broken Dreams and Christine shooting him nine times, and found out where Earth is from Donal Blaine.  He killed Blaine and went to Earth to find Tiamat himself.”

 

      Sir Andred was the first to respond.  “If it will give me a chance to redeem myself before the angel that tasked me with Blaine’s death, then I volunteer my blade to your service, young Erica.  I swear I will not rest in your defence, until Vargas Elm lies dead at our feet.”

 

      Kai looked a bit over-awed.  “You saw her - actually talk to her?”

 

      “Yeah, I know, right?”   Erica looked just as amazed as everyone else around her did.

 

      “You can’t do this alone.”  Maeve said.  It wasn’t a command - more like a statement of fact.

 

      “I... I know.  I was kind of hoping you and Kai would come and help me.  I don’t think I can do it alone - or even just me and Sir Andred.  No offence meant, Sir Andred.”

 

      “None taken, lass.”  Sir Andred looked a little worried about facing the threats of an alien world with just Erica at his side - but he didn’t look remotely like he could be dissuaded.  He was going - and no force on Mercia would stop him, without his death first.

     

      Kai looked at Maeve, and grinned.  “In for a penny?”

 

      Maeve grinned back.  “In for a pound.  You’re crazy, my friend.”

 

      “Like you aren’t too.”  Kai said.  “We’re coming with too, Erica.  You won’t be rid of me that easily.” 

 

      Thank god!  Erica thought.  I really didn’t know if I could do it alone - or even with Sir Andred.  At least I feel we’ve got a chance now.  “Thanks guys - I guess we all have some unfinished business with Vargas, amongst other things.  I know I have some stuff I need to do once we get back...  And hey, Christine - you get to go home without waiting six months!  You won’t lose your house after all.”

 

      Christine just stared, completely taken aback.  How was this possible?  More gods... goddesses.  What the hell is going on?   Does Erica even know she’s freaking glowing?   “Home?”   It was all she could get out - her mouth seemed paralysed in shock.   “We’re going home?”

 

      “Yeah, Christine - we’re going home.  We’re going to Earth.”

                                               

 

     

     

     

     

Erica, Christine, Maeve, Sir Andred and Kai

will return in Call of the Void part 2 – Dragons

 

 

Sneak Preview follows!

 

3