Sneak Preview of Call of the Void 2 – Dragons
261 7 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

            “What do you mean we’re going home?” Christine asked.  “Like right now!?”  She looked shocked - just last night she had been expecting it to take months before she and Erica could return home to Earth - and to hear it was far more immediate was well, pleasant - but it was also a big shock.

            Erica groaned.  “No - not now.  Tonight.  Listen...  The goddess Thuria just came to me while I was sleeping and said she would carry myself and anyone who wanted to come with me to stop Vargas Elm - who you didn’t kill, by the way - back to Earth tonight at dusk.  And she’d protect us from the demons in the Void.”

            “Vargas is alive?”  Sir Andred muttered.  “Bastard’s as tough to kill as the demons he summons.”

            “Too true.” Maeve replied.  She turned towards Erica, and motioned for her to sit down.   “Sit, Erica - you’re practically babbling.  Vargas Elm still lives - he’s gone to your world, Earth - and we have a chance to follow him.  That pretty much sums it up, if we leave out your habit of talking to the Ladies of Mercy.”

            “Yeah.”  Erica said, trying to calm down.  “Pretty much.   Why is everyone still staring at me?”  Erica watched her friends - and she realized she wasn’t far wrong.  Sir Andred’s eyes hadn’t left her since she burst into the room, and he was studying her with a fierce but disturbing devotion, Christine and Maeve just looked surprised - and Kai, Kai looked awed - and a little sad.

            “You’re glowing, dummy.”  Christine said, pointing.  “Your head is giving off light.”

            “What the...?  Seriously?!”  Erica asked.  

            Kai, Maeve and the others nodded in agreement.  “You are glowing.”  Maeve said.  “The church calls it the Inner Light - it comes to people who are especially holy, or who have a habit of communing with the gods.   It’s supposed to be a powerful weapon and defence against the forces of evil - and a sign that the individual is blessed of the gods.”

            “What, like a halo?”  Christine asked.  “That’s impossible.” 

            “Apparently not here.”  Maeve said.  “Didn’t your people once have these, when the gods used to speak with them?”

            “Yes.”  Erica said.  “But I’m not a saint - I shouldn’t have a halo!”

            Sir Andred smiled.  “Apparently the gods think otherwise, young Erica.   Who are we to gainsay them?”  

            “I never asked for this... what do I do?”  Erica looked worried.  If people back home see me like this I’ll get lynched for sure, she thought.  I sure won’t blend in anywhere.  What the hell am I going to do?

             “I know ways to dim the glow, Erica.”  Andred said.  “They teach all the holy orders the trick, in case the gods blessing should fall upon someone in their care, or even amongst their order.   It won’t make the power of the inner light go away - but it will allow you to move amongst normal people without giving yourself away.  It isn’t too hard.”

            “Thanks, Sir Andred - I think I need to learn that right away.”  Erica said

            “You think?”  Christine laughed.  “Good luck not causing a scene like that at home.”

            “Tell me about it.”  Erica looked stressed out just from the very idea.

            “Come with me.”  Sir Andred told Erica.  “I can teach you to dim your glow - but not in a crowd of talking people.  Come to my room and I’ll begin.”  

            Erica nodded, and followed.

            Meanwhile, Kai was watching Erica, and through his awe of how much she had been blessed he felt a deep sadness.  Why does it hurt inside?  He wondered.  I should be happy for her - proud I know her - and I am all that, but I feel like I just got kicked in the gut, too.  She’s leaving…forever.   Kai’s discomfort rose as the exchange between Christine, Andred and Erica continued, so he quietly stood and left the room. 

            Kai stepped into the hallway outside their suite of rooms.  The rest of the monks at St. Jillians priory had given them ample privacy over the last few days - remnants of their battle with the Hserinyar two weeks ago.   I guess we all have a reputation of being ‘dangerous people’, Kai mused.   Why in the seven hells am I so upset that Erica’s been blessed by on high?  I should be happy, shouldn’t I?   So why do I feel like the ground just dropped out from beneath me?   What’s wrong with me?

            Kai walked quietly to one of the doors that led to outside, and left the Priory.  Outside the countryside showed the signs of spring.  Kai took a deep breath, and inhaled the fresh country air.  Rainfall always was a nice time of year, he thought.  I like it when the snow finally melts and the trees start to bud.  It reminds me that winter ends, and life can begin again.   He stood outside, looking at the fields and vineyards for a while, leaning with is back to the side of the priory. 

            Kai felt more than heard Maeve step up next to him, and lean back next to him.   Maeve turned to him and nodded hello.  “Rough day?  You seem down, and it’s not even lunchtime yet.”

            “I don’t know what kind of day it is.”  Kai answered, sounding more than a little tired, and a little bit bitter.  “It’s not every day you see a new saint.  She’ll be important – who am I?  A nobody.”

            “You mean Erica, of course.  You sound like you wish it hadn’t happened.  That she wasn’t blessed by the gods.”  Maeve smiled fondly at her long time friend.  “Does it have something to do with the fact you seem to like her?”

            “What?  Of course I like her - she saved my life!  We all like her... you as well.   I’m just a bit uncomfortable with her being so accepted by the gods.  I feel like I’m not worthy to be in her presence.”

            Maeve watched her friend a moment.  He really doesn’t see it, does he?  She thought.  He’s smitten with Erica and he isn’t admitting it to himself.  Maybe he isn’t ready to admit it.  “Why - because she’s literally holier than thou?  She seemed to like your presence earlier, the way she was blushing a few days ago - and don’t give me ‘that was then, this is now’ bull crap.  She doesn’t know our ways - she might not even care...  She’s innocent, Kai - but it’s plain to see she likes you too.   Why don’t you just relax a little and enjoy being with her as a friend, and see what happens.”

            Kai whirled around, an angry expression on his face.  “And what, exactly, is going to happen, Maeve?   She’s leaving with Christine.  She wants to go home.   We’ll find Vargas and kill him, and then be sent home to Mercia - and neither of us will see Erica or Christine ever again.   So tell me, what exactly is going to happen?” 

            Maeve backed up a step.  Holy smokes!  He’s pissed!  “Sorry Kai...  Perhaps I should mind my own business?   I just thought I’d try and see what’s wrong.”

            “Perhaps you should, Maeve.”  Kai said.  “I need some time alone.”  He wheeled about, and walked off into the Priory’s vineyard.

            Maeve was left standing there, wondering how to help her old friend.   Kai, don’t give up hope you dummy.  She thought fondly.  The goddess brought her back for a reason - not to be someone venerated and put on a pedestal.  We might not know that reason yet - but it’s got to be more than whatever you’re assuming.

*          *          *

Christine was left alone in the sitting room.  Kai had left abruptly - and Maeve followed soon after.  Erica had gone with Sir Andred - and she was all alone.  What the hell just happened?  She thought.  Kai obviously wasn’t happy with Erica’s halo.  Come to think of it, I’m not sure how I feel about it either.  She snorted.  Can you imagine her walking into a church in Toronto with that damn halo going?  Instant chaos - or an old fashioned stoning, depending on the crowd.   Maybe she’d be better off staying here instead of coming home?   She seems happier here.           

            “I suppose I should go tell Abbot Thurston we’re leaving tonight.”  She said to no one, and gathered her things.  “It’s better than sitting around here all morning.”   Christine stood and left their suite, heading into the hallways of the priory.  Like the night they arrived, the halls were spartan and clean - but in the sunlight they shone with a warm glow... the white stone was inviting, and the polished wood was warm and relaxing.  In the distance, she could hear men and women singing what sounded like the Valdan equivalent of Gregorian chants.   This place is beautiful, for sure - but it’s not home.  I never thought I’d say it but I think I prefer boring.  Boring and safe.   I’ll never bitch about a date being too boring again, that’s for sure.

            Christine saw a young female monk approaching - obviously on an errand.  She looked about 16 years old, and wore her hair long in a pony tail.  Her church robes were white, trimmed in green and black, and she wore an wooden amulet that looked like a green crescent moon - probably a holy symbol similar to what priests wore back home.   “Excuse me, Serra?”

            “Yes, Serra Vallan?”  The young woman asked.  “What can I do for you - I’m in a bit of a hurry.”

            “I’m looking for the Abbot - I need to speak with him about something private.” 

            “He’s in the wine cellar, supervising the clean-up.  Do you know the way?”  The girl looked impatient - but waited for her answer all the same. 

            “Thanks.  What’s your name, Serra?”  Christine asked.

            “I’m called Juniper, Serra Vallan.  After the berries.   Will that be all?”

            “Yeah.  I know the way.  Thank you.”  Christine waved her thanks and headed off - and Juniper did the same.   As she descended the stairs to the wine cellar, Christine couldn’t help but reminisce a bit about her time here.  Ninety per cent terror and ten per cent fun.  Sounds about right.   It’ll be good to get back home.

            The Wine cellar looked very different during the day - monks were everywhere, washing blood off of barrels and shelves, the stone cobbles and the wooden trim.  After two days of such cleaning it was starting to look like maybe a pitched battle hadn’t happened here a few days ago.   Abbot Thurston’s white fringe of hair could be seen poking up behind a wine barrel - so Christine maneuvered over to say hello.

            “Excuse me, Abbot Thurston?”  

            Abbot Thurston turned, and began smiling.  “Ah, Serra Vallan.  How are you and your friends doing today?”   Today the Abbot was wearing his robe of office, along with a gold braided sash, a jewelled ring, and a gold and silver braided black cap.   His holy symbol was that of a white disc - showing his rank compared to the acolytes and novices.

            “We’re doing well - really well.  There’s been a development.”  Christine said.  “Erica’s had another vision - and says we’re all leaving here tonight to go back to our world.  She said the goddess herself would take us home.”

            The Abbot looked excited.  “Really!  Then perhaps I should go speak with her, and Serra Varda.  I trust she’s writing all this down in her goddess journal, as she calls it?”

            “Every night for a few hours, or until her hands cramp up, yup.   She’s been really good with that.”

            “Good, good.  Thank you Serra Vallan.  Please tell Erica I’d like to see her soon and definitely before she leaves for home.  Do you think I would be allowed to watch?”  

            “I honestly don’t know, revered father.  I don’t think any of us would have a problem with it.  I can’t speak for your goddess.”  Christine shrugged. 

            “Will you feel better, going back home my child?”  Abbot Thurston asked.   “Since you’ve arrived here you have seemed ill at ease.”

            “I have been ill at ease.  I’ve been scared witless, and nearly killed a half-dozen times too.  I’ve seen some crazy wondrous things too - but I’d trade it all to be safe and sound back home.   Your world is nice, and it is beautiful, but it’s not for me.”

            “I understand.  The Gods say that each person’s task in life is to find their place and make the best of it.  Some people never find their place, and spend their whole lives looking, while some people never look for it in the first place - and wonder why their life disappoints them.  If you’ve found your place, Serra, then when you can reach it, make the best of it - and be happy.  We are the gods’ children - and what parent doesn’t want their children to be happy?   Sometimes I think my role is more to help people find their place, than it is anything else.   I’m glad you at least, know what yours is.  Some people never know.”

            “Heh.  Perhaps, reverend father.  I’m not sure I know where my place is, for sure... But I know where it isn’t - and it isn’t here on Mercia.  I’ll always have some fond memories of being here - but I hope time will erase the tragic and frightening ones.”

            “Time is a potent force indeed, Serra Vallan - but fear is also a potent force.  Are you sure you’re not letting fear rule you, instead of your own thoughts?”

            “Aren’t you playing devil’s advocate a bit much?”  Christine said.  “I thought you’d be glad to see me go home.”

            “Oh, I am, Serra Vallan - but I’m a priest.  Playing devil’s advocate comes naturally to us.  It’s in our nature.  Please forgive me if I’ve offended you.”   Abbot Thurston was smiling as he said the last - like he enjoyed the discussions his wordplay could provoke.  “I’ll come visit you and your friends shortly.”

            Christine nodded.  “Thank you, reverend father.”  She turned and walked back upstairs, fuming a bit.  Afraid - of course I was afraid... who wouldn’t be?  Maniacs waving swords around, spells blasting everywhere.  We all could have been killed a dozen times.  Fear is a normal response to that kind of stimulus.  Duh.

            She walked back upstairs and wandered the grounds for a while, killing time.

*          *          *

            Sir Andred took Erica into his chamber, and sat her down on the edge of the bed.  She was looking at him, hopefully - like she needed him to tell her how to make the halo go away.  She doesn’t realize this isn’t something that goes away, does she?  He thought.  This is something that will stay with her forever.  She needs to be told.

            “Erica... how much do you know about being a saint, at least here?  From what I’ve heard from tales from you and your friends, you don’t have many back home, do you?”

            “That’s just it, Sir Andred - we don’t have any - and the ones we call saints don’t have this halo thingy - this inner light.   They’re just really special pure people... and I don’t deserve it.  I’m not pure of heart.  I want revenge, and for people who hurt me to suffer.   I appreciate the Goddess likes talking to me - but why did she have to give me this burden?”

            “Erica, whether you believe it or not, the gods do not give us burdens we cannot carry if we persevere.  She must value something in you, or need you for some special purpose, to give you such a gift - and such a responsibility.  Do you have any idea how many people you could control with a display of the Inner Light?  How the faithful would heed your words above all others - even the Hierarchs themselves?  You may have a burden, my dear - but you also have power.  You have the personal favor of the goddess herself; let her guide you and maybe you will see this for the blessing it is.   But I don’t want to lecture - you want to know how to hide the Inner Light - turn off the glow, as it were.  Correct?”

            “Yes, please.”  Erica answered, thinking.  Power?  I don’t know if I want that kind of power.  Just knowing magic was more than enough for me... this is too much.  I don’t want to control people... the very idea disgusts me.  Too much time in hospitals with doctors telling me what to do and when to do it - I couldn’t do that to someone else.  No way.

            Andred waited for her to settle herself, and began.  “The Inner Light is a divine manifestation of the gods’ presence - their light shines through you into all that see you.  It is a blessed thing.”  Andred was speaking by rote - like he was speaking a passage memorized a long time ago.  “The Light can be used to ward off evil, and to heal wounds, and even to destroy ones foes - but it is also a terrible responsibility.  Your words will carry the weight of someone who speaks to the gods - and people will put inordinate emphasis on all you say and do, so one must be mindful of what they do when their Inner Light is evident.  Sometimes it behooves the faithful to conceal their Inner Light so as to better move amongst the flock, to do the gods work.  At such times, one needs to take the light into themselves, and the light will dim.  You will be as you once were, until such a time as you release the Inner Light once more.”

            Andred took a breath. “I know you don’t know how to use those powers I mentioned yet - but I suspect they’ll come to you in time.  Although we know of the Inner Light, there are perhaps less than six people in all of Valris who are blessed with its gift - and two of them are the High King and High Queen.  This is a rare thing - and it is something you will carry for the rest of your life.  Do you understand?”

            “I don’t know, Sir Andred.  I know it’s rare - but I can’t live a normal life with it, not back home and not here.  Can I at least conceal it?   It’s not that I don’t want to help the goddess - I do - it just I really, really don’t want a lot of attention drawn to me until I’m more comfortable in this new body I wear - till I accept the new me as ‘me’.   I can’t deal with being a religious icon right now - I can’t.”

            “You don’t have to be, child.”  He said, fondly.  “I will show you how to conceal it - I just needed to tell you it is something you can’t run from forever.  One day you WILL have to deal with it, and reconcile the fact that the gods want you in their life - and that you deserve it, whether you believe it or not.”

            Erica sat thinking for a bit.  Sir Andred looked extremely serious... Like she’d just been given a huge superpower and that was his “great power comes with great responsibility” speech.  This is a lot bigger than I thought it was.  What do I do about it?   I guess for now I learn how to hide it, and figure out how to deal with it later.  Like magic, and fighting, and throwing, and all the other damn skills I haven’t had time to learn since I got here.   Seriously, I’d give my left nut if I still had it for six months of uninterrupted training with Maeve and Kai and Andred.  I feel like I’m treading water in the deep end of the pool and I don’t know how to swim.  How long before I tire and fall?

            “Please show me how to dim the light, Sir Andred.  I promise, I’ll try and deal with the reality of it as soon as I can - I just don’t have the luxury of not hiding it now.  If I show up on Earth with this glowing, we’ll be spotted in seconds and we’ll never catch Vargas.   We need stealth.”  Erica sighed.  “I’m ready.”

            Sir Andred smiled.  Erica has a good heart - she’s just scared.   “Of course.  Here is what you need to do.  The Inner Light is the presence of the gods themselves - so to conceal their presence, you need to make a place for them to reside within you, and draw their presence down inside you - make them a part of yourself - and the light will dim.   It sounds easy, but it is not - but I think you will manage it all the same.   Think of all the ways the goddess has made you feel good, of the way you felt when she asked for your personal help.   Make a home for that feeling in your heart - and pull the light down with your mind into that home.  Let it fill you, and warm you - let it become part of you.   If you can do this, you will dim the light.”

            “Oh that’s all.”  Erica said smiling.  “I’ll give it a try.”   She closed her eyes and calmed herself, like how Maeve taught her to when checking for the Call of Hrask, but instead of looking at her most precious things, she thought of what the Goddess meant to her.   She saved me... She made me a girl.   She called me her daughter.  She wants me to save the worlds - both of them.   She’s a goddess, and I’m so small - how could she need me?   I want to help her - but I’m afraid.  I’m afraid I’ll screw it up like my whole life has been screwed up till now.   As Erica kept thinking, she stopped thinking in words, but kept trying to define how the goddess made her feel, just by being in her presence.  She remembered the sense of community and caring that weekend Kai and Christine and she went to church in Wethom a few weeks ago.  It made her feel good, knowing that the gods cared for their people here, unlike at home.  She liked knowing that someone was watching out for her... it made her feel safe.  It made her feel loved.  She was proud she had been chosen by Askeline for her task - but awed that she was special enough to be tagged for it.   Erica took all that - all those feelings, and compressed them into a ball, and imagined that she grabbed that ball with her hands, and slowly pulled it down into her chest.

            At first, she felt nothing - but in a few moments, she could feel warmth fill her head, then progress down through her neck and chest until the warmth settled inside her body.  It made her feel warm, and loved, and safe all at once.  It gave her strength - but at the same time she felt that perhaps she wasn’t alone inside her thoughts anymore... that she had invited a presence into her of her own free will.  Unlike the voices that tortured her for years, though, this presence radiated nothing but love and confidence.  I can live with that, she thought.  Sir Andred was right - I feel whole... for the first time in my life, I feel whole.   

            She looked up - to see Sir Andred gazing at her with amazement.  “You did well, Erica.”  He said.  “You accepted the Inner light.  You should be proud - very few who gain it can learn to join with it on their first attempt.”

            “You mean it worked?”  Erica asked, surprised.  She looked around - and could tell the illumination that had been following her was noticeably absent.  “Sweet.  Thanks Sir Andred.”  She was so happy, she stood up and gave him a hug.  It felt good, to be able to hug a friend and not be thought less of.    Home was so weird that way, she thought.  Maybe it’s not really home anymore.  Is home here then?  I don’t know.  Maybe.

            Sir Andred coughed a bit, a little embarrassed.  Erica was so innocent she didn’t realize the effect she had on people - himself included.  It wasn’t sexual for him - he knew she was beautiful - but his spirit lay with his wife Jessica, gone five years to the grave; Andred knew he would never love another woman quite like he had his late wife Jess.  No - it was more a rapturous, religious thing for him.  He was a holy warrior - and this woman, this child, was touched by the gods - and it was his personal responsibility to make sure she was safe, and succeeded in her task.  She was his charge, his responsibility - but she was more than that.  She was also a friend. 

            Erica’s hug didn’t last long, and they broke apart.  Erica looked different somehow to Sir Andred - more poised, calmer.  She had a presence about her she didn’t have a week ago, before she died.  He had heard speaking with the gods could do that to a person - now he knew it.   “We should get back to the others, Erica.  There will be lots to do before we must go.  Weapons to ready, supplies to gather, and so on.  We will need a plan.”

            “I understand.  I’ll need Christine’s help for our end of the plan - no offense but you guys will have no idea what to do in our world - you won’t even be able to function without help.  It’s too alien.   You didn’t see how bad it was for us when we first arrived - but it was a bit crazy.  It’ll be a hundred times worse for you three.   We’ll probably need to ride herd on all of you to keep this turning into a disaster.”

            “Is it that bad?”  Andred said, heading out back into the main room.

            “Its worse.”  Erica laughed, following him.  “You have no idea, Sir Andred.  No idea at all.”

            As they exited the bedroom, they found the sitting room bereft of their friends.  “I guess we’ll need to get ready on our own, then?”  Sir Andred said, chuckling.  “It would seem your revelation this morning has put everyone into a bit of a tizzy.”

Erica winced as Sir Andred said ‘revelation’.  “Could you not use that word right now, Sir Andred.  Back home it can have a pretty negative connotation - like ‘the end of the world’ kind.  An ancient prophet - a holy person - someone who might have had the inner light - wrote a book called ‘The Revelation of John’ and it foretold the coming of the end of the world.” 

            “Sounds frightening...  Alright, Erica - what word should I use?  I won’t say organic, because I know it makes you and Christine grind your teeth every time Maeve and Kai try to figure out your way of speech.”

            “Well, one of our philosophers said ‘Eureka!’ which means pretty much the same thing, but has few negative associations to it.  That might do.  ‘Aha!’ is also used too.  Our language is pretty strange at times.”  Erica smiled, wondering if any of her new friends could figure out the childhood riddle ‘which witch is which?’  English is weird enough to learn for natives.  At least Christine and I can nag Kai to learn English... turnaround is fair play, after all...

            Erica grabbed her bag, and pulled out her goddess journal, and sat down to write.  For a change, she had a lot to say - and little time to write it down.  I’d better finish it today - I might not get another chance, especially if I don’t come back; this will be the only record they have if something happens to me.  She wasn’t worried about getting it translated in time - if worst came to worst they could use magic to decipher it, which was fine with Erica.   No - she wanted to get what the goddess told her down on paper, so she didn’t forget, and she wanted to talk about the Inner Light and what happened with that.

            An hour passed as Andred packed gear and sharpened blades and arrowheads.  During that time, Erica wrote in her journal, cursing more than once as her quill pens split and broke, globbing her page up with inkblots.  She only went through three quills this time, he thought.  She’s getting better.

            Maeve and Abbot Thurston entered the room, chatting quietly.   “I don’t know the details, Reverend Father.”  Maeve said.  “I know she said the goddess would take us to her home tonight - but that’s it.  We were too taken aback to talk about specifics.”

            “I see.”  Said the Abbot.  “Well, then I’ll need to speak with her myself.  Ahh - there you are, Serra Helstrome.  May I speak with you about your vision?”

            “Sure.”  Erica said, gladly putting her quill pen down.  “I need a break from this anyway.”  

            Maeve smiled.  “Hey!  You got your glow to turn off!  That’s great!  Good job, Erica.”

            “Thanks.  It was easy with Sir Andred’s help.”  She said.  “Let’s go over here, Reverend Father.”  Erica and the Abbot went to the corner to talk, and sat quietly while Erica told him of her dream of the goddess.  

            Meanwhile, Maeve went over, and sat with Sir Andred, quietly picking up some of his tasks of readying the weapons and gear and assisting him.  It needed to be done - and unless Kai came back soon, only they were there to do it.  

*          *          *

            Kai was still brooding in the gardens, watching the monks tend the priory gardens and fields.   There wasn’t much at this time for the monks to tend to - it was still far too early in springtime to be planting crops - but there were leaves to be raked up, and grasses to cut before they became unmanageable.   Kai found the solitude helpful for his mood.  He knew he was in a fine foul mood - but for the life of him, he couldn’t figure why.  Maeve keeps suggesting I make a move on Erica - but she was a young man not so long ago, and its not exactly obvious if she’s happy like that or not.  I would never force that kind of attention on someone, especially if they might not be interested in men.  It would be wrong.   And now that Inner light - why does it make me so sad?   When I saw her with that, my heart sank - why?  It doesn’t make sense.

            Kai needed to do some deep thinking, so he found a stump used for chopping wood, and sat down, using it for a seat.  He always found sitting down and having a pipe cleared his thoughts.  Maybe it will this time?  He thought.  He took his pipe from his bag, and tapped it out to clean it, then took a small amount of Valorin ‘satharis’- a high quality weed commonly used in pipes, and put it in the pipes bowl and lit it with a match.   These matches are such a luxury, he thought.  Imported all the way from Madragoor - but Maeve loves the best - and she got me hooked on these things, dammit.  Would you believe this one silly match costs a silver crescent?  Gah.  I used to have simpler tastes.    

            The satharis weed caught on fire, and Kai puffed a few times to get it going, and then relaxed to enjoy his pipe and think.  The sweet smell of the burning herbs wafted through the air, and added a pleasant blue tinge to the air around him.  As he calmed his nerves, he was able to approach the problem again, from a more relaxed perspective.  

            Kai examined his feelings about the whole situation, and found himself confused.  At first, when he met Eric, he was impressed with the young man’s courage, and his willingness to learn.  As they travelled together, he became more impressed with his intelligence and his burgeoning magical strength.   And then, in that last battle, where Eric sacrificed himself to save Kai... that’s where it got weird.  His last words to me... his last words were a joke, weren’t they?   ‘You’re too cute to die.  I wish...’   At the time he didn’t think much of it, beyond the grief of losing a friend - but perhaps there was more to it?  Perhaps Erica was truly Tuaithal Braithe?  If so, he was happy for her - but it only made the situation far more confusing.

            After an hour of brooding, he had only deciphered a part of how he felt.  He felt something he couldn’t explain towards her.  He liked being near her - she made him happy just talking with him.  Teaching her about his world was exciting - seeing the wonder in her eyes made his spirit soar, and when Flavius, the fallen in the wine cellar struck her, something in him snapped...  He swore to kill him - and he meant it.   Is this what love feels like?  He wondered.  Maybe.  I wish I knew.   What do I do if she doesn’t want to stay here, just like Christine doesn’t.  Like Christine said - ‘it’s a nice place to visit but I wouldn’t want to live there.’  Our worlds are so different - what if she asks me to stay with her, and I can’t do it?  I can’t bear to tell her how I feel, and then have her leave my life forever.  I can’t.

            By the time he came to his realization, Kai’s pipe was long out, and he was getting stiff.  He tapped the pipe out on the stump, and rose to go back inside.  Doubtless there would be much to do, and Maeve would need his help.   I’ll have to figure out the rest on my own.  He thought.  If I had half a brain I would sit Erica down and have a very long chat as soon as possible, if there’s time.   At least then I would know if there’s any hope at all for me - or for us, if there is an us.   At least I would know.

*          *          *

            Christine was bored and tired.  I guess it’s time I went back... I’ve been feeling like a fifth wheel lately around these four - Erica’s taking to the freebooting adventurer life like a duck to water, and I’m stuck in ‘want to go home’ mode.  I’d like to be like them sometimes - able to kick ass and take names - but that’s not me.  I help people, I don’t hurt people.  I can’t... The only person I’ve ever tried to hurt was Vargas when he killed Eric... god, I can’t believe how many times I shot him!  

            As she picked her way through the orchards surrounding the priory, She saw the sun in the sky - it was mid afternoon - time for a meal if nothing else, and she was sure Maeve and the others would want to make a plan for when they got to Earth.   I guess I’ll be one of the ones making the plan, since they don’t know jack all about our world.  It’ll be weird to be in charge for a change - but at least it’ll be a world I understand and know how to deal with.  I hope Erica decides to come back here... I think she could be happy here.  Back home?  I dunno.  Maybe?  How would we even get her ID or a SIN?  I’m not a criminal - I wouldn’t know.  

            She got back to the priory and headed inside.  Everyone was in the room - Kai included.  I guess his temper tantrum ran its course, she thought.  Then again, that may be unfair - I have no idea what set him off.   Probably something religious with Erica and her halo.   “Hi guys.”  She said.  “What’s up?”

            Maeve thought for a moment, and realized what Christine was really asking.  “Erica is talking to Abbot Thurston about her vision, and Sir Andred and I are readying our weapons and armor, while Kai is helping pack our gear and supplies.  What have you been up to?”

            Christine wondered herself a bit.  “I guess I’ve been saying goodbye to Mercia for a while.  I’ll probably never be back here again - it seemed proper to pay my respects.”

            Maeve nodded.  It seemed proper to her as well.  “Fair enough.  Hand me some of those arrows.”

            Christine nodded and started helping Maeve and the others.  She didn’t have the heart to tell them most of their preparations would be for naught, but it seemed to comfort them, so she held her tongue.

            Abbot Thurston stood up.  “Thank you, Serra Helstrome.  I look forward to this evening, and to reading your journal when you leave it with us.   Is it true you’ve written many of your own thoughts in the book, as well as your observations of the Goddess?”

            “Yes, Reverend Father.  I’ve written whatever came to mind that seemed relevant - comparisons between my world and yours, how things are different, and what ways seem better.  I think perhaps I wrote too much, but it seemed right at the time.  I hope it makes sense to you when I’m gone.”

            “I’m sure it will be fine, Erica.”  The Abbot said.  “If you’re leaving tonight, then I have some things I must do.  I’ll take my leave of you, if you please?”

            “Of course, Reverend Father.”  Erica looked relieved.  Their chat had gone on for well over an hour - and it was obvious she was getting fatigued and a little bit stressed.   “Thank you.”

            Abbot Thurston nodded to the others, and said “Dinner will be early tonight, to accommodate your leaving.  Please come a bit early to the dining hall, would you?”

            Sir Andred nodded.  “Of course, Reverend Father.  It would be our pleasure.”

            Erica went over to a plate of fruit, bread and cheese that a monk had brought for them and the Reverend Father to eat.  She took a few pieces of fruit, some bread covered with jam, and a thick hunk of a white cheese that smelled a bit like cheddar and a bit like havarti mixed together.   “What did I miss?” she asked.

            “We’ve been getting ready to go - with armor and weapons, food and supplies.  We’ve been waiting on you and Christine so we can make a plan.”  Maeve said.  “You both know the area better.  What are we in for?”

            Oh wow... you don’t ask for much, do you?  Thought Erica.  “Well for starters, we’ll have some serious problems if we bring armor and weapons, beyond a belt knife, with us.  Seriously - Christine, can you imagine what a cop would do if he saw Sir Andred in his chainmail wielding a broadsword.   We’d be in the slammer - that’s jail - so fast you’d never see how you got there - if he survived being arrested.”

            Sir Andred looked nonplussed.  “Do people not have a right to protect themselves on your world?” 

            “Yes.”  Erica said.  “And it usually involves calling for the town watch and running away.  At least in our country.  In other countries you can carry a gun - a pistol like I used on Vargas’s men - but anyone wearing a sword or armor is going to stand out like a sore thumb.   Heck, even wearing our handmade clothing is going to make us stand out like sore thumbs.   Let me pose a question to you, Sir Andred.”

            “As you wish, Erica.  Pose away.”

“If we were walking down a street and four ruffians stepped out to mug and assault us, what would you do?”  Erica asked.   “You’d draw your sword, and threaten them - and if they didn’t back off, you’d give them a taste of your steel... am I correct?”

 

            Sir Andred, Maeve and Kai frowned.  “Yes.”  Sir Andred answered.  “Is that not the proper response?”  

            “Nope.”  Christine interjected.  “At home, you’d be expected to give over your money, hope they didn’t beat you up too bad, and call for the police after they run off.  If you’re lucky about 6 months later a few of them will be arrested and do a month or two in jail.  If you draw a weapon and kill one, you might get lucky and not go to jail on a ‘self defence’ plea - but if you killed all four of them - especially if they tried to run, our courts would find you guilty of murder and you’d go to prison for the rest of your life.”

            “But...but they’re thieves.  Bandits.  Everyone knows what you do with bandits.  That’s crazy!” 

            Sir Andred actually looked incensed - and Maeve could understand why.  Wiping the walls with annoying bandits was an accepted adventurer pastime and being denied such a simple pleasure seemed silly and mildly insulting.   “You’re supposed to just bend over and give them your wallet.  LET them beat you and pray they don’t kill you or worse?  That’s madness.”  Maeve frowned.  Maybe this journey to Erica and Christine’s world was a bad idea.  Still, it’s not like they had a choice - both worlds were at stake.

            “Welcome to our world.  Wait till you hear the rules for how to properly cross the street without breaking the law, or getting killed by one of those ‘carriages’ you rode in, Maeve.”  Erica said.  “Our world has rules for everything - and if you break any of them, we could come to the police’s attention - and that would be bad.   On the plus side, Vargas doesn’t have two guides like Christine and I to help him out - so he’s likely to run afoul of the law awfully quick - but on the minus side, he won’t have a problem killing the police if they become annoying, which we, I hope will avoid.   If either of us is staying there when this quest is done, we’d rather not have problems with the law.”

            “Gods give us strength.  I swear your world sounds more insane each time I hear of it.”  Kai said, frowning.  “I said I would give it a chance - and I will - but I don’t expect to enjoy it.”

            “I understand entirely, Kai.  I hope you find parts you like - but I suspect you’ll be like Christine was here - confused, and wanting to go home badly.  I’m sorry.”  Eric smiled sadly.  “It is what it is.  Our worlds are so very different - I don’t know if you’ll be able to manage.  It’s noisy, smelly, frighteningly loud and distracting.  There are vehicles moving everywhere at breakneck speeds, and hundreds of thousands of people walking the streets everyday.  It would be like that anthill you described a while back - a hive of people, like ants.   I don’t think any of you will like it much.”

            “I understand.”  Maeve said.  “But I guess the truth of it is we don’t have to like it.  We need to stop Vargas from resurrecting Tiamat - and once that’s done we can come home, assuming we don’t fall afoul of your worlds laws.  How will we find him, if there are so many people they’re like ants?”

            Christine leaned in to the discussion.  “I figure he’s a psycho and a killer right - and his men Flavius and Gaius are definitely killers.  My bet is that at some point, he’ll be caught by a cop or a gang member and get into a fight - and them there’ll be a mysterious death.   We can search for oddities like that on the Internet, and find out what he’s up to.”

            Eric nodded.  “Good idea.  But that’s too reactive, and not proactive.   He’ll be looking for proof of dragons - like bones or burial grounds.  Maybe we should have some of us watch the museums like the ROM?  They have tons of dinosaurs there - they might be mistaken for dragons...  Other than that, maybe Maeve could track him with Sight magic, or we might get lucky and bump into him.  Sorry - I don’t have a great plan here.”

            “What is an internet, and ROM?”  Maeve asked.  “They sound interesting.”

            “Ummm... The ROM is the Royal Ontario Museum - it’s got old relics from ancient civilizations, ancient bones of giant lizards, and all sorts of old history stuff - it’s just the place for an insane wizard to want to hang out.   The internet is harder to explain...  I guess you could say it’s kind of like a crystal ball that lets you ask questions, and sometimes scry places, but which also offers you endless entertainment and a means to communicate with others.  Millions of people have access to it in the city and a lot have hand-held devices that can access it.  Christine has one in her purse.”

            “Yeah,” said Christine.  “But the battery died about 10 days ago.  It needs to be recharged badly.”

            “And these devices aren’t magic, but more artifice like we talked about in Madragoor.  Bits of springs and wires and cogs and this chained lightning you spoke of?”  Maeve asked.

            “Pretty much, yeah.”  Erica answered.  “All of the amazing things our people can do are based on that stuff.  If we lost it all of a sudden, we’d be helpless.  Heck, without those carriages to move food into the city and devices to keep the food fresh until we ate it, most of the people in the cities would starve to death in days.”

            “Madness.”  Sir Andred shook his head in disbelief.  “Utter madness.”

            “So no armor and no weapons beyond a knife.”  Kai said sighing.  “What are we supposed to hurt him with when we find him?  Harsh language?”  

 

“I figured we could buy some hatchets and claim it was camping gear and not a weapon.”  Erica said.   “The police might buy that, if we weren’t waving them around when they saw us.  We’ll have to get new clothes too - so we blend in.”

            Christine laughed.  “That means you will too, kiddo!  Hahaha.”

            “Believe me, I’ve been thinking about that too, Christine.” Erica said.  “I’m not sure if I’m looking forward to it or not... I’m edging towards the former.  We’ll need some money fast - and we could buy most of what we need either at a box store like Wal-mart or perhaps the Eaton’s center, depending on where we arrive.”

            “We could go to my house, rest a bit and use my computer to find out where Vargas has surfaced, if he’s surfaced.  I can’t imagine a snake like him could hide for long in our world - there are too many eyes watching everything.”  Christine paused.  “It shouldn’t take long before he does something that ends up on the internet.”

            “Your home sounds like a good base of operations, Christine.”  Maeve said.  “It has room enough to house us all with room to spare, and we should be able to help with money for any repairs needed when we’re done the mission.   Is gold valuable on your world?”

            “Yes!”  Christine said laughing.  “Fifty of the gold coins you got from the Hierarchs would be over a years pay for a couple with several children, where both spouses worked full time.   I don’t know what Electrum is to know how much it’s worth.”

            “Electrum?”  Kai said.  “Its a mixture of Silver, Gold, and some base metals for hardness, plus a chemical to tint it blue-ish white, so that it more resembles Thuria, the white moon.”  

            “Aye.”  Sir Andred said.  “Although we’d use gold like most other nations if gold was easier to find in Valris.  Let me tell you, lass - if you ever find gold in a mine in Valris, your future and that of your children and their children’s children is assured.  You’ll never suffer want again.”

            “There’s that little of it?”  Christine asked.

            “Aye - we use only a bit in coinage - the rest is reserved for the church, and for jewellery and artwork.  Its too rare and valuable to use much of it for coin.  Valdans like jewels and jewellery a great deal though - and its more often seen in that, than in a persons wallet.”  Andred sighed.  “I suppose you don’t use gold for money do you?”

            “Now that you mention it, no.”  Christine said.  She was getting to like this - seeing the look of confusion and dismay on their faces.  Turnabout was indeed fair play!   “We use paper money or little plastic cards.”

            “What’s plastic?”  Kai asked.

 

            “Think of it like really hard brittle rubber, shaped into a thin wedge about two or three inches by about four inches.   It has little codes on it that machines can see and interpret, and can be used to keep track of who has how much wealth.   It makes it easier to carry around large sums, without being weighed down.”  Erica sighed.  “We really could do this all day, but there isn’t time to tell you enough.  You’ll just have to stick close to us and trust us - when we say not to do something, DON’T do it.  Just trust us, and I think we’ll all get through this.”

            “Gah...!”  Kai groaned.  “As you wish.”

            Maeve sighed, and turned to Kai.  “If we can’t spend the coins, I intend to leave most of my reward here with the Abbot, to pick up when I return.  I recommend we leave anything we can’t take here as well, like Andred’s armor and sword, your bow, and my shortsword.   I’m taking this.”  She said, holding up the weapon she took from the dead hands of a Fallen assassin on the steps of the Cathedral of Three moons a few weeks ago.  “This gun killed my brother.  I’d like to see if it can kill Vargas, or some of his men.  Fair is fair.”  The look on Maeve’s face was hungry and dangerous. 

            Christine wasn’t sure it was a good idea - but there was no way in hell she was going to tell Maeve no.  Not with that look on her face.   At least it’s some kind of dart gun - it should be quiet right?  Like a paintball gun?

            The priory rang with the sound of three bells, signalling that dinner was to be in an hour.   Maeve stood up, and brushed away some crumbs of lunch, and some dust from her pants.  “We should take some time to ready ourselves as well as our weapons and gear - I think I need to meditate for a while, and calm my mind.  Andred?”

            “I think I will join the monks in prayer, Maeve.”

            Christine shrugged.  “I’ve got nothing to do.  I might have a nap.”

            “Good.”  Kai said.  “Then I’m borrowing Erica for a while.”

            “What?”  Erica said, surprised.  “For what?”

            “I’d like to talk to you, privately for a while, while we walk.  Is that alright with you?”

            What is he thinking?  Erica wondered.  Is he going to ask me to stay?  Was Christine right?   Why do I feel so panicked right now... it’s just a walk!   Erica had butterflies in her stomach, and her cheeks held a nice shade of pink by the time she answered.  “Sure.  We could walk.”   She walked over to Kai, and took his arm when he offered it, and they left the room together.

            All three of them waited a short while, until Sir Andred broke the silence.  “No offence, ladies, but it’s about bloody time one of them did that.”

            Maeve laughed.  “Amen, Andred.  Amen.”

            Even Christine had to smile at that.

 

 

1