Chapter 6. Easy Mode
2.4k 6 113
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's been a few days since Camilla returned to the family estate. Nothing suspicious happened, and in general, the girl behaved as usual… If you can call it that, of course.

— What did you say she was doing today?

Despite the fact that initially the duke's eldest son considered the sudden changes in his sister only a show-off, her strange behavior continued. Even a week later, Camilla did not deign to fall on her knees and ask for forgiveness from her father and brother. Instead, she seemed to ignore them completely.

Based on this, Yufil interrogated the maid to find out the details of her unusual behavior. The young maid who was assigned to look after Camilla recalled the events of the last days:

«My Lady… she's… uh.». I didn't do anything.

— what? — Yufil was dumbfounded, — How is this possible?

— Well… — the girl hesitated, — Closer to the middle of the day, the lady wakes up, then has breakfast and spends the whole day in her room. Oh, yes! Still sometimes makes purchases.

— Shopping? Which ones? «What is it?» he asked briskly.

«The lady asked His Lordship to write a check for her birthday. She spent it today. In total, it turned out to be three hundred thousand gold…»

— WHAT?!

The guy was so surprised that he even got up from the table. Yufil couldn't believe his ears.

— What could this girl spend so much money on?!

The maid hesitated uncertainly, remembering exactly which shops Madame de Valt had sent servants to.

— Mostly the lady shopped in boutiques… She bought new dresses, bags and shoes. More gems and jewelry.

There was a pause in the office.

The duke's eldest son slowly sank into his chair. He never thought that his sister would start doing something like this. All her life, in order to get recognition from family members, Camilla behaved extremely restrained.

Despite being a member of the ducal family, the girl dressed and behaved modestly. There were also no special frills in her chambers. At first glance, one would think it was the daughter of some poor baron.

Camilla never made rash purchases, and in principle, she rarely spent money from the family budget. The girl believed that in this way she could please her father and brother. Other noble ladies «spend» millions on themselves. While she is different from them.

The Duke and Yufil have long been used to Camilla not needing anything. And now suddenly, on her return, she spent so much on some trinkets at a time! The girl finally went crazy?!

— no! I have to see for myself!

Eufil de Walt got up from the table resolutely and headed for the door. He thought that he should witness his sister's strange behavior with his own eyes.

***

Lately, I've been enjoying my luxurious stay-at-home lifestyle, rolling around on my huge bed alone.

There was so much free time that I didn't know where to put it. In the end, it even became a problem. Before that, I was not used to doing nothing and not feeling any guilt at the same time.

I won't have to work any more for the rest of my life. I still could hardly believe it.

After all, is there any greater luck than being born the daughter of a millionaire?

Having won this golden spoon, I was going to fully enjoy it. After a couple of days, I still found the strength to get out of my room and start exploring the estate.

The de Walt Residence was indeed quite a beautiful place. Most of all I liked the backyard, where lush bushes of white roses grew.

Considering that this is the world of the novel, the local nature was much more beautiful than in the real world. Actually, just like people. But isn't that a plus?

Tired of lying around in my room, I smoothly moved outside. There was just a suitable place in the garden of the residence. Isn't it an idyll to lie in the shade in hot weather and drink cold lemonade?

It seems that at that moment I learned the meaning of the word «paradise».

From time to time, the servants brought me soft drinks and treats. And I myself admired the views and blissful idleness. Elisha, Camilla's personal maid, was by my side the whole time.

This girl had served Camille since childhood, and always followed her like a shadow. I don't have many memories of us together. However, it seems she wasn't a bad person.

Therefore, I simply did not prevent her from staying next to me.

— M-my lady, are you sure you can do that…?

The last days for the maid were filled with stress. Immediately after returning from the hospital, the hostess began to behave strangely. At first, Elisha just chalked it up to another change in her mood. But it seems that this is no longer a joke…

This time she got to the point where she took the estate workers without asking, only for them to rush around and do her errands. Thereby distracting them from their main work.

The maid looked around anxiously.

«I'm the heiress of the ducal family,» I said easily, «so it's quite normal.»

«And if His Lordship is displeased…?»

— Well, let it be. What difference does it make to me.

In the end, having accepted my position, Elisha sighed and did not try to dissuade me. I liked people like that. Obedient and not asking unnecessary questions. Perhaps, in the future, we have every chance to get along.

— My Lady, look, this cloud is such an unusual shape! The maid suddenly pointed to the sky, «It looks like the wool of a sheep.

I raised my head and also looked at the sky, where fluffy clouds were floating by.

«You mean my brother?»

Elisha giggled involuntarily.

«My Lady, don't say that…»

«You're right,» she agreed, «I shouldn't have compared this sacred animal with that duck.»

Elisha almost burst out laughing again. But at the same moment I restrained myself, and just in case, I looked around.

Knowing the character of the duke's heir, he would definitely not leave alone if someone gossiped about him in the estate. What a bastard. And for what such merits did I get such a «stuffy» brother?

We giggled together for a while, and I thought I was lucky enough. You could say I was reincarnated as the unloved daughter of a noble family in easy mode.

Unlike standard short stories of this genre, only my father and brother did not consider me a person here. At least, I have never encountered cruelty from servants before.

They did not treat me with warmth, but at the same time, they did not despise me. Rather, they just don't care. My existence is indifferent to everyone in this house.

But… It's not even bad.

I didn't know what I would have done if they still hated me. A cursed child who took the life of their beloved mistress. Thank the gods that there was no such thing. My life here was quite bearable.

Top. Top.

While I was thinking about my current situation in the mansion, I involuntarily heard footsteps approaching.

As expected, it is worth mentioning the jerk, as he will show up. The blue-haired guy quickly approached my place of rest. At first I didn't pay attention to him.

— What are you doing? My brother inquired.

He watched with indignation as I lay on the veranda, and the maid additionally fanned me with a fan. Not otherwise than «too well settled.»

«As you can see,» I replied casually, «the weather is good today. Why not spend time outdoors.

«Do you really have nothing better to do than hang around here?» «As the daughter of the family, you should bring at least some benefit…

— I'm sorry… — I dared to cut him off, — Didn't you say that I was useless? Now I'm just confirming your words.

Yufil clenched his fists. Apparently, now I have crossed some invisible boundary in our communication. He almost screamed:

— Hey, do you think you can do whatever you want forever?!

— hm… Who knows. We cannot look into the future.

— So that's it! I'll tell you,» he exclaimed triumphantly, «your days in our house are numbered. I advise you to start packing now.

For the first time, I lifted my sunglasses from my eyes and looked at Yufil.

— What do you mean?

The heir grinned contentedly.

— My father and I are already looking for a candidate for your fiance's place, — he said, — As soon as everything is decided, you can forget about a quiet life. Will it be funny to you when you marry a rich old man?

At that moment I was thinking. In fact, given the place I found myself in, I should have counted on something like this from the very beginning. Traditionally, girls from noble families played the role of a bargaining chip in arranged marriages.

However, I did not expect that these two would want to float me so quickly. It's only been a week since my return, and they're already looking for a new way to get rid of me. However, I didn't mind.

— And how will you choose it? I asked.

— Father has already arranged everything. You will go to meetings with candidates, and I will accompany you. And at my discretion, I will inform my father about the most suitable one.

Oh, so my opinion is not even taken into account? How «wonderful.»

When Yufil uttered these words, he watched my expression with expectation. He knew that more than anything, Camilla was afraid to leave her home. Obviously, at this moment, my previous mask of indifference should have been «shattered».

The guy was waiting for me to immediately throw myself at his feet, apologize and beg for mercy.

Because when Yufil said he didn't care about me, it was a lie. Deep down, he felt satisfaction every time he rejected a little girl who was hungry for his love. It was revenge for the fact that he once lost his mother because of me.

He was used to seeing his younger sister just like that. But… What's the point of me giving it to him now?

I knew that even if I begged, he would only humiliate me once again. This decision is inevitable.

Therefore…

— good.

I said it calmly, pulling my sunglasses back over my eyes.

— What?

«If I really marry a rich old man, isn't that a good thing?» I'll just wait for him to die and take the whole inheritance for myself.

Eufil de Walt stared at me in amazement.

— You… Are you serious?! he exclaimed.

The guy couldn't believe his ears. Timid Camilla, who has been dependent on relatives all her life, really won't blink an eye before such a step?

— Quite. Now I depend on you and my father. Isn't it wonderful if I finally have my own money?

— …

Phil swallowed. It seemed to him until the last that I was just bluffing.

— Please let us know in advance when the viewing will take place. I will prepare myself so as not to disgrace our family.

My brother was so confused that he couldn't even really say anything. Muttering something unintelligible, he slowly wandered back. I followed his silhouette with my eyes.

— W-we… We'll see! — some faint threat reached me at last.

When the guy left, it was like my corset was taken off. I immediately exhaled.

«My Lady, are you really going to do this?» — the excited maid addressed me.

I stared at her in surprise.

— Are you crazy? Of course not!!!

113