Chapter 7. Diagnosis
2.3k 6 110
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It turned out that the Duke de Valt had selected several candidates for the role of my future spouse.

Among them were both my peers from noble families and wealthy gentlemen. The oldest of them seemed to be in his fifties.

I perceived these looks as something inevitable. It's stupid to resist when the father has already decided everything. He didn't care who he married me to, as long as he got more advantages. My older brother is exactly the same.

After all, I was just a pawn in the hands of these two. One is a wealthy duke, and the other will inherit all his property. As for me… I'll be lucky if at least they don't kick me out of the house.

Realizing my desperate situation, I could not act rashly. Therefore, I just pretended to accept my fate and accepted everything as it is.

At least, that's the impression my relatives had.

I've never been particularly smart, but this time I realized that literally everything depended on my ingenuity. If I don't want to end up becoming the wife of an overgrown aristocrat, then I definitely have to do something.

Pan or gone, as they say.

My first meeting with a potential groom was scheduled in a few days. One of the luxurious restaurants of the capital was chosen as the venue.

I have never been to such an institution, but according to rumors, even the spoons and forks there were gold. At least I came here at least for the sake of great food.

Yufil and I arrived first. My brother was supposed to play the role of my «inspector» on this date. However, I didn't care. Whether with him or without him, this «date» is doomed to failure.

Let him watch as much as he wants.

We took a pre-booked table and began to wait. All this time, Yufil did not stop lecturing me:

— Behave yourself. Don't you dare embarrass your father!

— Of course, brother. I remember everything.

The guy squinted at me suspiciously. He tried to say something else, but fortunately, the bell over the door rang at that moment, saved me from his boring speeches.

The waiter showed the newly entered customers to us.

I saw a lanky young man approaching our table with his mother. He was probably even better dressed than me. Her thin blond hair was pulled back into a ponytail. It is about such people that they usually say that it is impossible to tear them away from the mirror.

Since Yufil was brainwashing me all the way, I managed to remember not only his name, but also the pedigree of the whole family.

This guy is the only son of the Marquis of Bronte, part-time admiral of the Imperial Navy, who died many years ago. Since then, the estate has been managed by his mother, a woman of rigid conservative views.

Despite the fact that the status of the Bronte family was lower than ours, they enjoyed the authority of the emperor. He awarded the Marquis the posthumous Order of the Hero of the Empire.

At one time, the Marquis' fleet was one of the most influential in the empire. And in the future, all this inheritance will go to Kewell.

That was his name, by the way.

Given their family's illustrious past, it was becoming obvious to me why the Duke had chosen him as one of the contenders. This man will do anything to shine in front of the emperor.

«Lord de Walt, I'm glad to see you. I apologize for being late. There were unforeseen delays on the way…»

A grateful middle-aged lady held out her hand to my brother to kiss her. But he limited himself to a business-like handshake.

— Greetings, Madame Bronte, — Yufil greeted dryly, — Don't apologize. We also just arrived.

Yufil kept a great distance from people, and especially from women. No wonder he ignored her. Still, the lady was somewhat disappointed, although she did not show it.

I pursed my lips when this woman didn't even say hello to me. After all, you could have just been alone with my brother! I don't mind at all.

Kewell, who was completely under the control of his domineering mother, also didn't say a word to me. Even here, everyone ignores me… Is this really a date at all?

We sat down and after the waiter brought the dishes, there was an indefinite pause at the table. The Marchioness of Bronte gave me an appraising look.

— So this is the youngest daughter of the de Walt family?

When I was about to open my mouth and introduce myself, Yufil did not let me do it.

— That's right. This is my little sister. She has been in treatment for a long time, so we were able to introduce her to high society only now.

— In treatment? Is she sick with something? — the woman immediately inquired.

— Nothing serious, — Yufil hastened to assure, — Just weak immunity. But it's all right now.

When they discussed the topic of our engagement, they completely ignored me. It feels like the guy was selling a cow, and not marrying off his only sister.

The most boring dialogue without my participation ended with the fact that I lost track of time in this restaurant.

The Marquise Bronte and her son were typical representatives of the aristocracy. In other words, thoroughly fake and intelligent.

— …The de Walt family is becoming more and more famous,» the Marquise wisely remarked, «I think we are ready to consider an alliance. What do you think, Kewell?

For the first time, the heir of the Bronte family looked at me. He hadn't paid any attention to me before.

— I think… That she's not good enough for me.

Yufil and I choked at the same time.

— I am the son of the first admiral of the Navy, — he suddenly said arrogantly, — And what can this girl offer me?

I experienced inner indignation. This brat just publicly insulted me!

But my brother, instead of protecting me, just held my hand under the table. There was an unthinkable phrase in his eyes: «Don't you dare do anything!» Given the importance of the meeting, the guy will definitely not fail.

— Son, don't jump to conclusions…

Madame Bronte, who liked the beautiful face of Yufil, tried to convince her son.

— …the de Walt family is also quite influential. At the very least, we should consider their offer.

Kewell Bronte, like a seven-year-old boy, pouted resentfully.

The heir casually waved his mother away. Apparently, the woman forced him to come here.

Taking her son's silence for consent, the lady was satisfied.

— Well, then we have decided,» the Marquise concluded, «we will hold our next meeting at the duke's estate. I want to see how big your holdings are.

— As you say, madam.

Dinner continued to my great indignation. These two made a deal and didn't even ask for my opinion! Who said I'd want to put up with this mama's boy all my life? Not to mention my orientation…

Well, in that case, you yourself have left me no choice.

Kha!

When everyone started dinner, I suddenly coughed, and later I vomited blood right on the table. Of course, not real. (Shortly before the meeting, I specifically swallowed fake blood to make a show).

And it seems to have worked.

When I stained all the food on the table with «blood», the Marquise Bronte screamed and turned pale. Her son also almost fainted from fright. As it turned out, these sissies were so much afraid of the sight of simple blood.

My brother was the most shocked. Yufil stared at me with a terrible expression on his face.

My would-be fiance and his mother clung to each other as if they were sitting at the same table with a monster. The latter cried out in a trembling voice:

— Wh-what… What is it?!

At that moment I looked very weak.

— Kha… P-please forgive me… — I coughed, — It seems that an old illness has returned to me…

— Illness?! «What kind of a disease is this?» exclaimed the Marquise. Didn't Lord de Walt say it was just a weak immune system…!

— Indeed, — weakly shaking my head with the last of my strength, I confirmed her words, — So it was at the very beginning… Kha. But you see, the disease has progressed… Kha. And not so long ago, the doctor gave me a new diagnosis.

— D-diagnosis…?

— Infertility. Unfortunately, due to my poor health, I will not be able to have children.

There was a dead silence at the table.

After my words, the angry expression on Yufil's face took on an even more pronounced shade. The guy couldn't believe that I really said something like that out loud.

This diagnosis, without exaggeration, practically put an end to my further marriage.

I wiped the blood from the corners of my lips.

— Please forgive me… But since we're going to be a family soon, I decided I had to be honest with you.

110