Chapter 8. Extreme measures
2.3k 2 94
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Who knew that the performance I arranged yesterday would cause such a stir.

The Marquise Bronte and her son were so impressed that this news did not have to remain incognito for long. The next day, the whole capital already knew that the youngest daughter of the de Walt family could not have.

For a lady of the present time, this was equivalent to a death sentence.

After all, the main purpose for which girls from noble families were married is procreation. It was extremely important for the aristocrats to leave behind heirs, otherwise the noble dynasty would simply be interrupted.

Such a diagnosis as infertility was extremely rare. But those girls who were diagnosed with it had a hard time. Most of them either remained in the care of their parents for the rest of their lives, or immediately went to the temple. Sometimes there were exceptions. Some compassionate aristocrat will agree and marry her.

But one way or another, I could no longer see a profitable marriage. Even beautiful and with money, my reputation in the bride market inevitably fell. Of course, my relatives were furious.

After I scared the Marquise and my «fiance» to death at a joint dinner, Yufil did not stop apologizing profusely. But what was done could not be returned. As a result, the evening ended in a scandal, and they left.

«I can't believe you tried to slip us a sick girl!» — Madame was indignant.

Left alone in the restaurant, I, as if nothing had happened, was going to continue eating, but the guy grabbed me by force and took me outside. His eyes were blazing and red as a bull's.

— YOU…! What the hell are you doing?!

I cleared my throat. He was yelling at me all over the street.

Should I try to justify myself?

— Brother, I suddenly felt sick… How could I restrain my natural urge?

Hearing this, the scale of Yufil's anger only increased. He seemed to be holding on with the last of his strength so as not to hit me. It is understandable.

The guy's brilliant plan to get me out of the house failed miserably.

— Don't joke with me! — The heir spat poison, — I've never seen you like this before! What kind of infertility?

— We haven't seen each other for a whole year, — I eloquently reminded, — How can you know what my health is? Besides, you and your father weren't particularly interested before either…

— You…!

— Brother, — I lowered my gaze, — Should I feel guilty because I was born with poor health? Did I choose this?

Yufil gritted his teeth. In such a situation, I still managed to make him look guilty.

When an adult guy publicly yelled at a little girl, people around involuntarily began to look around. This somewhat dampened his ardor. After all, the reputation of the family is the most expensive. He exhaled noisily.

— We'll talk at home, — his insinuating words sounded like a sentence.

However, I was already prepared for the worst-case scenario. Enduring a scandal from my father and brother didn't seem so terrible compared to what I had just been able to avoid. You can be patient a little.

After all, they won't kick me out of the house, will they?

We returned to the residence in deathly silence. And then, the most «fun» evening in my life was waiting for me. At one point I even had to dodge the cutlery…

After listening to the tone of insults and indignation against me, everything gradually calmed down. After all, the duke's health is not iron, and he would have lost his voice if he continued to shout at me.

After drinking an impressive dose of sedative, Victor de Walt waved his hand in resignation, once again declaring what a «useless creature» I was. I don't know how much they believed in the story of the diagnosis, but it was too late to find out. Rumors in high society were flying at the speed of light.

Our «peaceful» family get-together ended by one o'clock in the morning. I went to bed as if nothing had happened. I had a good dream.

And the next morning…

The Duke received several letters at once. It turned out that all those noble families with whom we had planned meetings about marriage withdrew their proposals.

I couldn't believe I was able to carry out my plan with just one try. Looks like I'm really a genius! Admiring my own ingenuity, I decided that now nothing threatens my carefree life.

That's just it…

— Dress decently tonight, — the duke suddenly told me, — This time, I will personally accompany you to the reception.

Standing on the stairs, I froze.

My favorite chocolate cakes were waiting for me in my room. But at this moment, suddenly it was completely not up to them.

— What…?

My lips involuntarily dried up.

— Kimberly's family. They're going to pay us a visit this evening.

Suddenly it turned out that one crazy family still did not reject the duke's offer.

It turned out to be the Kimberly house, a little-known family of the baron, with whom we had never had to deal before. Of all the nobles of the capital, only they were not frightened by rumors about my infertility.

Which, in itself, is very strange…

The youngest son of this family was chosen as the candidate for the place of my fiance. A man I've never heard of before either.

To be honest, I was shocked that such people were found at all.

It looks like this time, I'll have to intervene personally again. When I thought that I had to somehow drive them away from me, I was overcome with inner anxiety. Especially if the duke is also present at the meeting…

In short, the evening was not going to be easy.

Yesterday, Yufil and Victor de Walt would even have looked in the direction of this man. It is obvious that his candidacy could seem too unprofitable to them. A petty baron whose fortune was half the size of ours. While these two, at least, were going to conquer half of the empire with the help of my marriage.

But all this has remained in the recent past. Now…

This unfortunate aristocrat was the last ray of hope for them to get rid of me.

— I warn you, if they don't like you, you will spend the rest of your days in the temple! — a couple of hours before the meeting, Yufil significantly wagged his finger at me.

I nodded in agreement, although deep down I didn't really believe it. Anyway, the guy doesn't have the guts to send me to such a place.

— Well, I hope the food there is delicious.

— Little…! — the brother did not finish the curse and shut up. He seems to have already realized that such tricks do not work on me.

After growing up with an alcoholic father, did this guy really think he could scare me with something? In the end, Yufil defiantly turned around and left. I watched him go.

In the depths of my soul, I have not exactly good thoughts lurking. What if it doesn't work out? In fact, I was really worried that I would have to get married. Considering what a fearless man the baron himself turned out to be.

Closer to six o'clock in the evening, the carriage actually drove up. From the window on the ground floor, I saw the Baron and his son heading towards our estate. The Duke was too proud to meet them in person. That's why the butler did it.

I was forced to stand on the threshold and greet them together with Yufil.

Creak.

The front door swung open with a bang. The butler escorted the guests to the lobby.

My father immediately went to shake their hand.

«Lord Kimberly, thank you for taking the time to visit us,» he said politely.

— Your Grace, I am honored that you invited us!

It was the first time I saw Baron Samuel Kimberly, whom I had never even heard of before. It turned out to be a stocky middle-aged man with red hair and a mustache. The buttons of his jacket barely held on his stomach. In general, a serious person, and… dimensional.

His son was standing behind him. I gave the applicant for my husband's place a cursory glance. Completely ordinary facial features, and unlike his father, a thin build. Red hair and lots of freckles. At first glance, the most ordinary guy.

Compared to the previous arrogant heir, he seemed very decent, and even a little shy.

— My son, Ronald, — the Baron introduced him first, — and this, I suppose…?

— Camille. My youngest daughter.

As a result, we were introduced even without our participation. It is immediately clear who is more interested in this marriage.

— Glad to welcome, Your Grace…! — the guy was visibly nervous, shaking the Duke's hand.

— Ahem… Likewise, — the man took his excitement for granted without much interest.

After shuffling awkwardly on the threshold, we finally sat down at the table. We were served dishes. My brother silently threatened me: «If you dare to throw something out again, you will die at the same table!». I wasn't going to.

As befits strangers before, the heads of families started a conversation with a discussion of politics, art and economics. And then we moved on to the topic of our possible engagement.

Since the decision for this marriage lay entirely with our parents, we did not take any part in the discussion. And for what, I wonder, was I forced to come here? If my opinion doesn't matter anyway, you could just agree on everything in private.

Sometimes Ronald and I exchanged embarrassed glances. More precisely, I caught his eyes on me. It seemed that the guy was not happy about what was happening as well as I was.

And, to my horror, so far everything has been going smoothly.

I was afraid that the deal would actually take place. And then what to do? Father, I don't want to get married!

Probably the same trick won't work a second time. Besides, Yufil was still watching me closely. I definitely had to figure out how to disrupt this evening.

Eventually, after a long brainstorming session, an idea came to my mind.

— I'm sorry… — I suddenly got up in the middle of the meal and cleared my throat, — Can I go to the bathroom?

My sudden statement confused everyone present. Of course, the Duke gave me permission. Although, I thought that even if I didn't come back at all, he wouldn't pay much attention to it.

I bowed to the guests and quickly left.

So my plan was to faint in the toilet. I intended to fall into a prolonged coma until my father reversed his decision about getting married.

No, well, what else is there to do? But then no one will definitely want to contact me.

As long as I'm bedridden, the Duke won't be able to marry me off against my will.

I ran into the bathroom and quickly planned my next steps. Having figured out exactly where I would «lose consciousness», I was going to leave the door slightly ajar. The first random maid will come in and find my body.

Of course, this will immediately be followed by screams and panic. And then, everything is according to my plan.

Being in full confidence, I was going to carry out my plan immediately.

That's just it…

Suddenly, the door opened ahead of time, and it wasn't the maid standing on the threshold at all. I was surprised.

— Nastya, what are you? Suddenly, the voice that had seemed ordinary to me before sounded incredibly familiar.

My heart skipped a beat.

— Andrey?!

94