Chapter 14. Fateful Night
1.9k 4 80
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

«She's coming for me… She's definitely coming for me!»

The empress, who only a few hours ago had no doubts about her victory, now could not find her place with terror. Immediately after the banquet ended, the woman returned to her chambers, continuing to mutter the same words under her breath.

Lillian followed her mother, concerned about her condition. As soon as the door closed behind them and they were left alone, the woman's fingers dug painfully into her daughter's shoulders.

— You must kill her!

— W-what?

— For my sake! — she exclaimed hoarsely, -You must kill her for me!

Lillian was dumbfounded. Her mother seemed out of her mind.

— Mother, sit down to begin with,» she began slowly, «I will have the physician prepare a sedative for you…

— I do not need a sedative! — «I told you to kill her!

— …

— You do realize this is the end, don't you?

Irina de Ronan laughed hysterically.

— We've let her get away with everything for too long, and this is what came out… First there was the emperor of Ocrasia. Are you going to wait for her to come after our family as well?

— B-but didn't father send her himself…

— She had to die! To die! — shouted the Empress, — But she came back alive! Do you know what that means? Now she will want revenge on us!

Being well aware of the character of her older sister, Lillian was aware that her mother's fears may not be in vain. Ever since the Crown Princess had stabbed her cousin at a family dinner when she was fifteen, after he had inadvertently thrown a few insulting words at her, no one had dared go near her.

«If you don't poke a bear with a stick, he won't bark.»

However… Not this time.

Sensing that things were really bad, Lillian tried to reassure the empress:

— Mother, don't worry. I and the Imperial Army will protect you!

— Protect you? — She grinned sorrowfully, «And how will you do that? If she could slaughter so many men single-handedly… Can you imagine what she would do with an army?

— …

— Man cannot fight a demon,» the woman muttered to herself, «You have to get rid of them with their own means.

— What are you talking about?

Lillian was worried that her mother might make matters worse by her hasty action.

— It must be done tonight,» the Empress said confidently, «Tonight.

Unlike the rest of the imperial family, Kayena lived not in a palace, but in her own estate. The luxurious black castle was located away from the palace and the places where people lived. Not only did the girl live there, but there was also the main base of the Black Guard. In other words, a veritable haven of evil.

This place was perhaps even better guarded than the imperial palace. Not a mouse could get in without asking. At one time the empress tried to send some hired assassins there, but they could not even get to the main domain. The next day, their heads were hung from the pikes of the gate for all to see.

Since then, Irina never tried again to kill the crown princess in her house.

Getting rid of this girl was in principle extremely problematic. In the eyes of the Empress, she was like a rat, which no matter how much she poisoned, she would still come back and bring her brood with her. Her previous futile attempts had proven that.

But now, for the first time in a long time, they had a «chance.

Because Kayena hated being in the palace, she had also not slept there since she was a child. And this time was no exception. Despite the late hour, the crown princess still went straight to her estate.

Given that she has returned so suddenly, many of the soldiers have not yet been warned of her return. Accordingly, she will be accompanied by a minimal number of people during her trip.

Not to mention the fact that after a protracted battle and a return trip to the empire, she must be tired.

If not now, there might not be another opportunity.

The empress still remembered the look in those golden eyes she had caught in the thirteen-year-old girl's eyes that day. That look, full of madness, she remembered for the rest of her life. And it hadn't changed since then.

Irina knew that sooner or later Kayena would want revenge on her for her mother. She was just waiting for the right moment. When she became empress, as payback for her childhood, she would kill the entire imperial family. There was no way Irina would let that happen.

If Kayena were to lead the empire, it would only mean death for their family!

— Lee-er, listen to me,» the woman's hands shook on her shoulders, «Take the entire Imperial army, soldier, but get rid of it today!

— Are you asking me to take advantage of your position? — The second princess was indignant.

— What else did you become a captain for? — Irina shouted,» Isn't it to protect me and my father? I ask you to do your filial duty!

— Mother… You…

Lillian did not want to expose her own people to danger. Especially not to kill a man who was her kin. As bloodthirsty as Cayenne de Ronan was, Lillian was nothing like that.

To kill her sister in secret, as her mother had requested, was, in Lillian's opinion, a low and despicable thing to do. It would be better if they fought a fair fight.

— As your daughter, I'll do anything you say,» the girl finally declared, «Anything but that.

— Lee-er!

The empress exclaimed desperately.

— How could a captain of the Imperial Army stoop to this? — Lillian continued nonchalantly.» «You're asking me to stab my sister in the back! Is that the honorable thing to do?

— You…!

The woman exhaled indignantly.

— In this world, I have no one dearer to me than you and your father. I would do anything for your well-being. But… Don't ask me to kill you.

You could tell by the princess's look that this was a decision that was not even up for discussion.

With those words, Lillian de Ronan turned and left. The Empress saw her off with an angry look. She exhaled noisily.

Could it be because they had spoiled her too much as a child that Lillian had grown up so soft? Why was she not one bit like her mother? Is it so hard to put her family's interests first?

Controlling herself, the empress soon calmed down.

After all, knowing her daughter's character, and the fact that she would not touch even an ant without need, she could well expect such an answer. With that in mind, she already had a backup plan ready.

— You may go out.

As the empress stared coldly at the door from which her daughter had just left, a faint rustle was heard in the room. A man dressed in black and with his face covered appeared in front of her on his knees.

— Your Majesty, I hear you.

Without looking at the assassin, Irina handed him a vial of black liquid. It looked like dark blood, but in fact, it was one of the most powerful poisons created in the Empire.

It was a new poison for which no antidote had yet been invented. It was so rare that the woman could hardly get her hands on a single dose. One drop was enough to kill a herd of healthy horses. Never mind a human being.

— Do it quietly.

— I understand, Your Majesty. I swear, we won't let you down!

The assassin disappeared as unnoticed as he appeared. The Empress stared intensely into the darkness outside the window.

Tonight was going to be a fateful night.

80