Chapter Twenty-Six: Knowing the team
27 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Diva sat on the black railings that surrounded the top of the building they use as base as she gazed into the setting sun. 

Rika, Gareth, and David all rested their arms and elbows on it alongside her while Sinon stood on the small ledge after it.

They talked about their earlier training and how they plan to improve their skills.

"How about we all talk about our skills and area we are all good at," Gareth suggested.

"Why?" Diva asked.

"Yeah, what for?" Sinon added.

"Don't get me wrong, we are a team already and I think it's safe to say that we are a family as well," 

"But I think, knowing each other's strengths and weakness is a way to strengthen ourselves and have each other's back during battle," 

"He's making sense," Sinon cut in.

"Why won't it? It's not about knowing your weakness and using it against you. I think there's a reason Ash chose us each," Gareth continued. "I'd like to find out what those reasons are,"

"Alright then, I'm in," Rika quickly supported the notion.

"It might not be a bad idea at the end of things, so," Sinon said a little and looked at Diva. They both nodded their heads in agreement to whatever went on in their head. "We will give it a try,"

"Am always in anything group-related, bro. So count me in," David said before tapping on his brother's shoulder.

"Alright guys, here's how we start-" 

"Wait, what about Ash and Jared?" Sinon unintentionally cut in.

"Well, for Ash, I believe he's already good at most aspects, then for Jared, we can always do this again when he's present. We can make it a round table discussion with Ash as well," Gareth explained.

"Alrighty then. Carry on," 

"Right. I think we all have our aspects where we are good at, those we excel at better than others. Then there are other aspects where we need to work on too," 

"If we should all state our strengths and weaknesses, I'm sure it will come a long way for the team generally,"

As Gareth explained to them while they sat on the railings, still gazing into the sunset as well as the city below, Kover walked in on them.

"What are you guys talking about?" He asked shortly after opening the door.

"Oh, umm... We were talking about improving our aspect to strengthen the team," Gareth answered.

"I am not much of a fighter or team player, at least for now. But maybe I might be able to learn a thing or two about y'all from this, so mind if I stick around," he said with his usual gloomy face.

"Sure," 

Kover walked not too far from the team, towards the railings, and rested his elbows on it as Gareth continued.

"Alright, as I was saying, for me, I can easily use any weapon I'm given because I've trained myself to quickly adapt. However, going hand to hand with someone isn't my strong suit,"

"In terms of speed, I'm quite low on that too, agility, maybe mid-level,"

"But power!!" He exclaimed as he clenched his fist. "That's like eighty percent,"

When he was done talking he breathed out and turned his head to Sinon.

"Well, I don't have the physique for heavy lifting and I'm not strong when it comes to hand-to-hand combat, my speed is also low, same as agility, but my perception is about seventy percent," she explained.

"My IQ level, well it depends on the situation," she added.

"So if you want to improve, it will be on your physique and speed even if you don't train more on hand to hand," Gareth said to her.

"I guess," 

"For me, hand-to-hand should be about seventy percent, while speed and agility, about sixty," Diva voiced out shortly after.

"Oh, yours is quite nice," Gareth remarked. "What about power and IQ?" He asked.

"Power is fifty, and I'll leave the brain work to y'all during battle," she answered.

"Alright,"

"What about you?" Gareth asked David who was behind him.

"Well, if we are giving numbers to our abilities, mine will be..." he thought for a while before continuing.

"Power is sixty, speed is forty, agility is seventy, IQ is fifty, hand to hand is thirty,"

"Alright then. And last," Gareth said, and immediately, everyone turned to their right where Kover was.

"Me?" He asked.

"Yeah," Sinon replied.

"Alright," he stood up straight and took in a deep breath. "Um... I think my abilities are all basic, so, power is ten, speed is ten, IQ is twenty, hand to hand is five," 

By the time he was done, they all stared at him dumbly. 

'How can a person be so lacking in this age?'

'Doesn't he know he will have to face zombies eventually?'

'His physique is relatively low.'

'He is Ash's brother, right? How is he this week? Or is he not saying the truth?'

Thoughts ran through their heads after hearing about his abilities.

Kover noticed this and immediately continued to how he was.

"Well, we can all cover for each other's weaknesses during battle, so make sure you improve along the way," Gareth tried to raise his spirit, seeing how low he was.

Soon, the team returned to their sightseeing with a mood of silence.

They all stared at the city, sun, and zombies meters away with several thoughts in mind.

"Hey, can y'all guess what Ash's stats is?" Sinon's question soon broke the silence.

"I think it's kinda obvious that he's a hundred in total," David answered.

"Kinda right, he far surpasses us in terms of speed," Gareth said.

"Agility," Rika added.

"Strength and hand to hand," Diva also added.

"IQ," David added again.

"Physique and maybe battle IQ as well," Gareth also did the same.

"Alright fine!!" Sinon exclaimed. "Geez, how did one person get to be so good?"

"Maybe he had special training?" David answered thinking it would be the obvious answer.

"Or self-training?" Diva added her option, making everyone including Kover, turn to her.

"What? Y'all see how leading he can be, the way he talks, teach, trains, it's almost as if he has been doing it for months," 

"Special training might teach him about fighting and physique but not leadership and resilience or strong will," she concluded.

"I mean, you're not wrong," Gareth started. "But it might be something else,"

"His brother is right there, why not just ask him?" David asked.

Kover glanced at them and immediately returned his eyes.

"I've never known my brother to follow lessons," he voiced out. "But I know he has always had this love for fighting,"

"He even defended me a few times when we were little. In some of them, he got beaten hard, and in some, we were saved by the elders around. I think he won about three eventually," 

The whole gang focused on Kover as he told them about his past.

"I mean, Ash is a great guy and all, completely different from me who's nothing," 

"I might as well just be a burden by-"

"Speaking of Ash, there he is, coming this way," Sinon cut him short as soon as she spotted him.

"He's back, huh?" Gareth asked.

Immediately, Diva jumped down from the railings and landed on the ground. The building was a three-story, built with solid materials to make it stand several attacks such as bombing and crashing of vehicles on it.

Though it was high, Diva didn't have a problem leaping off it and landing safely on the ground. 

The others saw this and thought of attempting it but feared the after effect. Sinon was bravest as she leaped off and fell through the air screaming. "Catch me!!!"

Diva looked up only to see Sinon falling on her. She immediately caught her before she crashed on the ground and broke a bone.

"Hehe, thanks," Sinon got down from her arms.

"How can you be that reckless? What if I didn't catch you?" Diva asked with a pissed-off look on her face.

"Do you think I'd jump knowing you won't catch me? Besides you have the physique for that," she answered as they walked away from the building.

****

Ash walked along the half-broken walkway as he approached their base from afar. The area leading to their base had been long cleared of zombies. 

The team didn't have to fear that someone would spot their base as it was well hidden far outside the city.

"I did not expect Sarah to awaken powers," Ash said to himself as he continued walking. "Even in my past, I don't think she ever showed it to me or anyone else,"

"I guess that's just the kind of girl she is, only revealing what needs to be revealed and keeping the rest to herself,"

"But I'm glad she can trust me with something like that," he used his right hand to rub the back of his neck as he tried straining it a bit.

Suddenly a smile appeared on his face as a memory played out in his head. "She has always been nice to me right from when I first followed my dad to his company.

"Back then, she was just a regular staff with no accomplishment worth knowing of, but she was always ready to keep me and Kover company or volunteer to aid us in what we were tasked with," 

"Her work must have been boring and stressful for her to have done that, or she was just being nice," 

"I wonder if Kover would still recognize her-" 

Ash noticed a few figures plunged at him from his side as he talked to himself.

With the little seconds, he had to react, he wasn't sure whether they were enemies or zombies but not wanting to accidentally harm an innocent person, he swiftly walked forward to avoid it.

The team immediately crashed into the wall on the spot where was a few seconds ago.

"Guys?" He asked with a surprised look. 

"Knew it," Gareth grunted as he held his nose. "I knew this was a bad idea, there's no way we will catch him off guard,"

"Catch me off guard? What were you guys thinking? If I had used force to counter you guys, don't you know I might have killed you?" Ash asked angrily.

"Chillax, it was the baby's idea," Gareth pointed to Rika who was underneath the rest of them after patting Ash's shoulder.

"What-" 

"Welcome back bro," Kover walked in on them from the side.

"Oh, it's you," Ash turned to face him. "Have you been well?"

"Yeah, I guess. We were just talking when one of them spotted you from afar,"

"I see, well let's go inside guys," Ash responded. "By the way, I don't see Jared among you,"

"Huh, he followed you out and you were the only one who return?" Gareth asked as he helped Sinon up.

"Maybe he's on his way, I sent him on an errand,"

"Oh alright,"

**** 

Ash stood at the end of the long table in the middle of the room as the rest of the team sat around it.

Displayed in front of them was a long map with markings all around it.

"Ash, what are we doing with a map?" Sinon asked as she observed the map. 

"I don't know if it's now you're noticing that technologies no longer work," his reply made the team chuckle for a bit.

"I- I mean, yeah they don't but like... You understand my question at least!!" She stuttered before hitting the table to make the others shut up.

"This is a map showing the majority of the location our bases are," he started.

"It's important you at least have it in your head because things are about to get serious,"

"Serious, how?" Gareth asked.

"Well, the power struggle is about to begin!!" He announced to the team.

"Very soon you're going to be seeing teams, leagues, a powerhouse of all sorts and they're gonna be struggling for resources and all,"

"But it mainly won't affect us. Why? Because I have a plan-"

[Bamm!!]

The door of the room suddenly flung open and slammed the side.

****

Please forgive my errors 

2