2 – There was a time when I thought I would be a warrior.
751 3 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We just finished eating and I went straight to the door.

For some reason, my parents didn't even consider following me. Apparently, it's a common ritual for children to go alone accompanied by someone from the church.

I didn't ask any more questions because the way they were talking made it sound like if it heresy even to me.

I was never very religious, so I didn't know what to expect from the ceremony, but I was eager to find out what it would be like.

As I left our house, I realized it wasn't really a "house" - it was an unnecessarily luxurious mansion.

I think I lost some respect for my newly father...

"Hello, little girl! I'm happy to hear that today is your big day!"

Returning to the real world, what greeted me when I stepped out was a certain huge man in shining armor - I mean, if my father gives off the impression of a bear, this guy looks like a lion. For some reason, his smile only makes my little spine tremble.

Is this supposed to calm me down?

"Uh... hello?" I said, trying to appear as calm and confident as possible, even though I was clearly shaking inside.

"Ah, yes, of course," I said, still a little awkward.

As we walked towards the church, Sir Lawrence told me about his life as a paladin and the duties he assumed in the name of his God.

"You know, young miss, as a high-order paladin, I have a duty to protect the innocent and fight evil wherever it appears." He said with a radiant smile.

I didn't want to reveal that I had been reincarnated into a girl's body, so I decided to pretend to be an innocent child.

"Wow, really? That's so cool!" I said in a high-pitched voice, trying to sound like a six-year-old.

Yes, indeed! And have you, little miss, met our great God?" He asked, still excited.

"I... I don't think so." I answered timidly, keeping my voice high-pitched.

And so our interaction continued.

As we headed towards the church, Sir Lawrence began to talk about his God and his battles against evil.

I wasn't particularly interested in the subject, but I decided to keep listening to pass the time. The paladin's animated and comforting voice was pleasant to hear, even though I didn't share his passion for religion.

---

We arrived at the church and Sir Lawrence led me to a bench at the back of the room. The ceremony had already started and I had no idea what was going on. People were singing hymns in a language I didn't understand and seemed quite enthusiastic about the celebration.

As I tried to focus on what was happening, I felt a gentle touch on my shoulder. I looked to the side and saw a woman dressed in clothing similar to a religious habit. She had a smile on her face and greeted me with a nod, which I wanted to say her smile was kind, but how can I explain it... it seemed more like the smile of an insurance salesman?

"Hello, young lady. I am Sister Maria, the one in charge of conducting today's ceremony. How do you feel?" she asked, with a calm and gentle voice.

"Uh, I'm okay, I guess. Just a little confused about what's going on," I replied, still a bit disoriented.

"I understand perfectly. Today's ceremony is very important, as it is when you will discover the class you will receive to help fight evil in the world," Sister Maria explained.

"Class? What's that?" I asked pretending to be confused.

I know that the maid-cosplay girl has already answered, but I'm curious if she will give me a different answer.

"The class is a special ability that God grants to each of his faithful. It allows you to use your gifts to help others and fight the forces of darkness," Sister Maria replied with a reassuring smile.

"But what if I don't like my class? Can I choose another?" I asked.

"The class is given by God himself and is a very special gift. We should accept the class that is granted to us with gratitude and use it for the good of the world," Sister Maria explained with a tone of serenity.

I wasn't convinced, but I decided not to discuss the matter any further. Perhaps, I could take a look at my abilities when the ceremony began.

---

Finally, the ceremony had arrived. All the children stood up and lined up in rows in front of the altar. I could feel the anxiety and excitement in the air, mixed with a touch of fear.

Suddenly, the children started to tremble and contort their bodies as Sister Maria loudly announced the classes that each one would receive. It was a strange and fascinating spectacle at the same time.

I saw some children being blessed with the warrior class, their eyes shining with the prospect of exciting adventures and epic battles.

Others received the mage class, with an expression of mystery and wisdom on their faces.

I closed my eyes and tried to concentrate as Sister Maria invoked the magic words to discover my class. I was so anxious that I could barely breathe.

Finally, I felt a spasm run through my body, followed by Sister Maria's voice:

"Zoe, you receive the healer class."

What? I opened my eyes, shocked. Healer? Me?

No, that couldn't be right. I wanted to be a warrior, or a hero, come on, anything, maybe even a demon king, but not a healer.

I ended up dropping my act of being a noble little girl and glared at Sister Maria in anger.

"That can't be right," I said, almost shouting. "You must have done something wrong. I can't be a healer! I can barely take care of myself, how can I take care of others?"

I huffed in anger and crossed my arms, sinking into the bench. How dare she say that I had healing skills?

"No, I'm not going to do this," I said determinedly. "I'm not going to be a healer."

Sister Maria just smiled and placed her hand on my shoulder.

"Zoe, don't fight against what you are meant to be. The healer class is a great responsibility and honor. You can make a difference in people's lives. Give yourself a chance. I'd love to have you here."

Why did I feel like there was a hint of sarcasm in that?!

As I was still staring, that damn nun just continued with the ceremony for the other children while I was still in denial.

31