Chapter 3- One Week Later
5.8k 45 283
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[MC POV]

It’s been a week since I was reborn and I have to say, I really hate it here.  I’m kept in a room with no windows, a crib, a chair, and a mirror.  I can’t do anything but stare at the roof since I’m a literal baby that can’t even control its own body.  And the only person that even comes in here is the maid that was found to take care of me.

 

It wasn’t too bad in the beginning since several people came here to presumably check on my health and other things like figure out what was with my eyes or why my body acts like a space heater.  On that day I also learned a few things.  One was that my mother would live and that her wounds that she suffered while giving birth to me were, while bad, fixable with healing magic, except one.  Unfortunately, she will never be able to bear another child.  Another thing is that I’m not cursed, my eyes are just naturally like this.  Also, the running theory for why I’m so hot is due to my mana being unstable and one of my magic affinities.  That was all I could learn at that time before my baby body forced me to sleep.

 

Back in the present, I was doing what I’ve been doing for this past week, staring at the roof while I count faded spots for the hundredth time.  Just as I was starting to doze off due to the boredom, the door to my room opened and the elderly human maid walked in.

 

“Hello, young miss, it’s time for your dinner.”

 

The maid moved over to me and picked me up before sitting in the chair.

 

“Oh, you’re so warm, young miss.  It does my old bones good.”

 

“Gooo.”

 

“Kekeke.  Let’s get you fed now.  There is something important happening today, so the sooner we get this done, the better.”

 

Now this was some welcome news.  I’m finally getting to see a place that isn’t just four walls.  I mean, with how things are set up, I can’t even see myself in the mirror, I just know there is one.

 

My internal rant aside, I happily started sucking away on the bottle the maid held to my mouth while she hummed a little song.  Once I was done and the maid slapped me on the back to make me burp, I was wrapped in a very thin blanket and carried out of the room.

 

I looked around at as much as I possibly could while we went to wherever we were going.  For the most part everything here was made of a polished dark wood with silver or gold trimmings.  There were very cushy looking carpets on the floor, and overall the place gave off the feeling of opulence.  As we passed by a big staircase I saw two paintings of a man and a woman.  The man was the same stern-faced person that I saw on the day I was reborn.  The other one was of a woman that while beautiful, was no where near the perfection of Amaterasu.

 

Shortly after passing by those stairs we stopped in front of a door.  The maid holding me knocked gently and waited for whoever was inside to give permission to enter.  When permission was granted, the door was opened slowly and we both slipped inside.

 

The room we were now in was a bedroom.  It was highly decorated, unlike mine, with a big bed in the center.  On that bed lay the woman that was the inspiration for that portrait outside, my mother.  She had pale blue hair, electric blue eyes that conveyed a deep tiredness.  Fox ears adorned her head and in her lap was a fox tail that looked like it had seen better days.

 

‘I’m glad my tail is fluffier than that.  I don’t know what I’d do if I couldn’t hug it like a pillow to help me sleep.’

 

Yes, both my parents were kitsune, so naturally that would make me one as well.  But that’s beside the point at the moment.  My mother looked absolutely exhausted and her eyes were red, indicating that she had been crying.  When she looked at the two of us, I could see a small amount of fear and a larger amount of loathing in her tired expression.

 

“Maid, why did you bring that here?” (Leticia)

 

“Lady Leticia, I assumed that you would want to see and hold your daughter for the first time now that the healers said you are healthy again.”

 

“I don’t want that thing anywhere near me.”

 

‘…’

 

Her words of rejection stung my little baby heart.

 

“My lady-”

 

“Take it away!” (Leticia)

 

“Yes, milady.”

 

The maid carrying me turned around and we left the room.  On the way back to my own, the maid started to whisper to me.

 

“Young miss, please don’t lose hope.  I’m sure she will come around one day.”

 

I wasn’t sure why the maid was telling me this since, as far as she knew, I was a newborn that had no concept of anything, but I doubted her words.  The look that my mother gave me spoke more than any words could.  I doubted that this was just the usual case of postnatal depression.

 

“Aaaabuuu.”

 

“Kekeke.  Young miss, you are so cute.”

 

We arrived back at my room, but instead of placing me back in the crib, the maid moved the mirror near the chair and sat down while looking into it with me in her arms.  This was actually the fist time I saw myself in the mirror, and I was a little surprised at what I saw.

 

I was, obviously, a baby.  Tiny body, tiny hands and feet, fat, useless legs, fat head.  What really caught my attention was my tail, ears, hair, and especially my eyes.  While  I knew I had silver colored hair since that was the color of my tail, I didn’t realize that the tips of my ears were a pretty electric blue.  The very end if my currently short hair was the same, leaving only the tip of my tail to start getting the same at some point probably.  My eyes, on the other hand, were even more striking.  The irises were the electric blue like my mothers, but unlike the dullness of hers, mine seemed to faintly glow.  This fact was only accentuated by the fact that the parts of my eyes that, on a normal person, would be white were pitch black.

 

‘Why do people look afraid of me when they see this?  I know it’s a bit conceited, but I like the way this looks.’

 

As I started at my reflection in the mirror, the rocking motion the maid was doing made me start to drift off to sleep.

283