Chapter 35- And so it Begins
4.1k 48 168
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Keeno POV]

When I woke up, I was in a very bad mood.

 

“Ama.”

 

{Yes Keeno?}

 

“What has that bastard been thinking?”

 

{Mostly about killing you and finding some way to curse me.}

 

“Is patricide allowed in this world?”

 

{While morally questionable, morals are all subjective in the end, and also, as the Goddess of Death, you decide what is and isn’t worthy of eternal damnation.}

 

“…Heh.”

 

{Oh?  And what devious schemes are you cooking up, my feisty Fated One?}

 

“Nothing complicated, though I wonder just what effect my Soul Weapon will have on pitch black souls.  Cause I don’t doubt for a second that thing’s soul isn’t pitch black with corruption and malice.”

 

{…Heh.}

 

The two of us started to chuckle darkly before snapping out of it.

 

“That’s for future me to enjoy, for now, focus on going to Vanir.  That’s the place Fia went, right?  Think we’re going to meet up again so soon?”

 

{Not soon in the slightest, Keeno.  Vanir is several months, almost a year, away on foot.  If you travel by carriage you can easily knock about a month off, but from here to there is going to take a while.}

 

“And that’s the closest Dead Zone?”

 

{No, there is another between Solheim and Vanir, but you are not ready to go there.  It’s located in a country called Odeen.}

 

“Name aside, why am I not ready for that place yet?”

 

{The Dead Zone there is guarded just as well if not better than Falheim’s border.  The only way into it is if you have express permission from Odeen’s ruler, are one of the people they call Gravekeepers, or are dead.  Otherwise it’s avoided, or if someone DOES approach it without the qualifications, they end up with the third one.}

 

“Hmm.  Guess it’s best we avoid traveling through Odeen then.”

 

{I never said that, just that you have to avoid its Dead Zone for now.  Going through Odeen is the fastest route to Vanir after all.}

 

“Ugh.  It’s like dangling a carrot in front of me on a piece of string.”

 

{Now, now, think of all the fun you’ll have between now and then.  I’m very excited to see what you and Pram get up to while you make your way to the Dead Zones.}

 

“I am too, and speaking of it, I guess I should get Pram.  It’s high time we finally set out.”

 

{Look out world, Keeno Okami, Goddess of the Blue Sun and Death begins her path to ascension!}

 

“Onward, to conquest, adventure, Divinity!”

 

{…}

 

“…”

 

{“Pfft.  Ahahahahahahahahahaha!”}

 

After Ama and I finished our laughing fit, I exited my room for the last time for a long while and called out to Huginn and Muninn.

 

“Huginn!  Muninn!  Let’s go get Pram, then we’re off!”

 

I heard their acknowledging bird noises and soon enough, they flew to and landed on my shoulders.  When they got settled, I made my way through the lodge and out the door.  I made sure it was locked and then started on my way to Pram’s home.  When I arrived, I found her hugging her mom and dad while Ashe was a little way away, bawling his eyes out.

 

“Ashe, aren’t you being a bit exaggerated?” (Keeno)

 

“Not in the slightest!  Okami, make sure you protect my sister with everything you have, else I will never forgive you!” (Ashe)

 

“One, don’t yell at me like that.  Two, that’s only natural.” (Keeno)

 

With tears still streaming down his face like rivers, Ashe gave me an exaggerated nod before his wife started to console him.  I looked back over to Pram and her parents.  They had just released their hug and, while a little misty eyes, they bode Pram farewell one more time.  On Pram’s side, she nodded and walked over to me.

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll make the two of you proud.  The name Karlan will be spread far and wide as healers of great renown.” (Pram)

 

“You know we don’t care about that, just be safe, have fun, and give it everything you’ve got.” (Mill)

 

Pram smiled at her mother’s words and the two of us turned and set off for the city gates.  On the way I explained to Pram how our first destination changed from Falheim to Vanir as well as how long it would possibly be before we made it there.

 

“You two are so unlucky when it comes to being intimate, huh.  I mean, the first Solar Convergence that you both have time to actually do anything, and it gets interrupted before anything can happen.  I feel so bad for the both of you.” (Pram)

 

“It is what it is.  I mean, I AM terribly frustrated, but that just means one more month of waiting.  If I’ve made it 18 years, what’s one more month?” (Keeno)

 

{I also plan on locking my place down next time as well.  Then only a Goddess of Space could get in.}

 

As we passed through the city, we came to the plaza where the Guild was and I stopped.

 

“Should we let the Guild know we’re leaving?” (Keeno)

 

{You don’t really need to.  Fia let that old angel know you two would be leaving soon.}

 

“Then off we go.” (Keeno)

 

The rest of the way to the gate was quiet.  Passing by places that have long become familiar, I was filled with the familiar sadness only experience when parting from a person or place.  A somewhat sad smile was on my face, breaking through the usual emotionless mask.  That sad smile disappeared, however, when we reached the gate.  Looking through it at the large expanse of land spreading out as far as the eye could see lit a fire of excitement inside me.

 

“Pram.” (Keeno)

 

“Hmm?” (Pram)

 

“Let’s have the greatest journey this world has ever seen.” (Keeno)

 

“Yeah.  Let’s leave our marks so deep on this world, we’ll be talked about thousands of years from now." (Pram)

 

"Hehehe.” (Keeno)

 

With those statements, the two of us took our first steps on our journey.

 

Chaos Realm:

Fia: Good for them.

Amaterasu: Yep.  By the way, how have things been on your side, Fia?

Fia: Good.  I’ve just been having to…’reeducate’ some of the wolves in Vanir.

Atmos: If only we could see what’s on your side of things sometimes.  Not that I’m complaining about what we do get to see.  I honestly really enjoy not having a clue about what’s going to happen.

Fia: …Rasu, is she really a god of Fate?  She’s so different from the one we know.

Amaterasu: Honestly, I think I like her personality better.  I’d rather deal with pranks than whatever Phobos does.

Atmos: In his defense, he’s trying to do his job in the way he thinks is best.  Sure, he’s extremely socially awkward and has a horrible habit of killing the mood, but he really isn’t the worst.  I’ve seen so many gods much worse than him.

Amaterasu: I’ll take your word for it.

Fia: Same.  Though hearing the perspective of a different god of Fate is actually quite nice.

Atmos: If Luna and Tamamo were here right now, they would say the two of you are crazy.  But that’s fine, a little craziness in life is so much better than none at all.

168