Ch-6: The Lake
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At the time of the afternoon, Eadric and Gunnar, along with their best scouts, prepared to venture out from the city gate. While they were walking, Gunnar asked, "How exactly are we supposed to find this lake? Do you have a map or something?"

Eadric nodded, "Yes, I do have a map of the forest, but it's quite old." As he unfurled the map, he pointed out the general area where the Lake of Inyoka was located. However, as Gunnar looked closer, he noticed that the map was torn slightly around the area where the lake was marked.

"Looks like we'll have to rely on our instincts and observation skills to find our way," Eadric said, noticing Gunnar's concern. "We'll keep our eyes peeled for any signs that might lead us to the lake. And once we find it, we'll need to gather as much information as possible about the surrounding area."

Gunnar nodded in agreement and proceeded to brief their scouts on the mission.

After hearing the details, some of the scouts became scared and exclaimed, 'Investigate the lair of that beast? This is suicide!' Eadric responded calmly, "Please, calm down. I understand the risks of this mission, but if we fail to accomplish it, the council meeting would have been in vain."

Although the scouts were a bit hesitant, they eventually agreed to undertake the mission. As they approached the city gates, the guards nodded at Eadric and wished them good luck.

Eadric called the scouts to gather around him as they prepared to venture deeper into the dense forest. "Alright, listen up, everyone," he said, as the scouts huddled around him. "We need to locate the lake that lies somewhere in this forest. It won't be an easy task, but with the right approach, we can succeed."

The scouts looked at him with a mixture of curiosity and apprehension. Eadric took a deep breath and continued, "Now, the first thing we need to do is look for any signs of water. We should listen to the sound of running water or birds gathering near water sources. Keep an eye out for any small streams or creeks that could lead us to a larger body of water."

He paused momentarily, scanning the scouts' faces to make sure they understood. "If we can't find any water sources, we'll need to rely on our instincts and look for other clues. Look for areas where the foliage is thicker or where the ground is wetter than the surrounding area. That could indicate a nearby water source."

One of the scouts raised their hand. "But what if we come across multiple water sources? How will we know which one leads to the lake?"

Eadric nodded at the question. "Good point. We need to keep an eye out for any indicators that suggest we're getting closer to the lake. Look for large boulders or unusual rock formations. These could be markers pointing us in the right direction."

Another scout interjected, "What if we get lost in the forest?"

Eadric explained, "To ensure that we don't get lost, we will need to leave some sort of marks or signs as we make our way through the forest. This will help us find our way back to the lake and to the city gate once our mission is complete."

After a brief pause, Eadric added, "It's also important that we do not engage in combat with any beasts or creatures we might encounter in the forest. We must move carefully and quietly, without drawing unwanted attention."

He continued, "If we come across any dangerous creatures, we should observe them safely and try to learn their behaviors and patterns. This information could prove valuable to us in the future. Come on Let's go."

The group of scouts led by Eadric made their way through the dense forest, their eyes and ears alert for any signs of water. They followed the guidance given by Eadric but soon realized that locating the lake of Inyoka would not be an easy task.

The thick undergrowth and towering trees made visibility low, and the occasional fog that rolled in obscured their view further. The scouts had to move slowly and carefully, being mindful of their footing and surroundings.

As they walked, they came across a small stream that seemed to be flowing from the west. They followed it for a while, but it split into several smaller streams, leading them in different directions.

"This isn't working," said Gunnar. "We're just going in circles."

Eadric remained calm, "We just need to keep moving forward, and we'll find the lake eventually."

As they continued, they stumbled upon a rocky outcrop that was unlike anything they had seen before. Eadric inspected it closely and noticed some ancient runes carved into the rock. "This is a landmark," he said. "It could guide us in the right direction."

As they trekked deeper into the forest, the terrain became increasingly challenging. The dense vegetation made it difficult to see far ahead, and the overgrowth covered much of the path. The group was forced to weave their way around massive boulders and scale steep hills that seemed to go on forever.

As the group moved deeper into the forest, they suddenly heard a roar in the distance. They quickly crouched down behind some bushes, trying to remain as silent as possible.

Eadric signaled for everyone to stay put, his hand hovering over the hilt of his sword. They all strained their eyes and ears, trying to figure out where the noise was coming from.

Suddenly, a large, furry creature emerged from the foliage ahead of them. It was a bear, and it looked angry. The group froze, unsure of what to do.

Gunnar's hand instinctively went to his sword, but Eadric quickly gestured for him to put it away. Instead, they all backed away slowly, trying to make as little noise as possible.

The beast sniffed the air and began to move in their direction, but as it got closer, it suddenly stopped, and its ears perked up. It then turned and ran off in the opposite direction, disappearing into the forest.

The group breathed a collective sigh of relief and continued on their journey, their hearts still pounding. "That was too close," one of the scouts whispered, and everyone nodded in agreement.

With each obstacle they encountered, their morale dwindled. They were all feeling exhausted, their feet sore from the constant walking and climbing. Doubt crept into their minds, and they began to question if they would ever find the lake.

Gunnar stopped to catch his breath and looked around. The forest was unforgiving, and he knew that they were facing an uphill battle. But he also knew that they couldn't afford to give up now.

He turned to the rest of the group and spoke, his voice firm and unwavering. "We have come too far to turn back now. Remember our mission and the stakes that are at play. We must find the lake, and we will find it."

Eadric, who had been following close behind, nodded in agreement. "He's right. We knew this wouldn't be easy, but we must keep going."

Their words seemed to revive the group's spirits, and they continued their journey with renewed determination. They pushed themselves to their limits, trudging through thick undergrowth and clambering over fallen trees.

Eadric consulted the map and studied it closely, analyzing the surroundings and the direction they had come from. After a few moments of contemplation, he made a prediction and said, "I think the east side of the lake will be the best place to investigate further."

Gunnar nodded in agreement, and they motioned for their scouts to follow them. As they walked towards the east side of the lake, they noticed the terrain becoming more treacherous with jagged rocks and cliffs. They had to be careful with every step they took, and they moved slowly and cautiously, knowing that one misstep could lead to disastrous consequences.

After what felt like an eternity, the group finally arrived at the edge of the lake. However, instead of celebrating their success, they knew that their mission was far from over.

Eadric looked out at the peaceful waters of the lake and turned to the rest of the group. "We need to investigate further," he said firmly. "We don't know what dangers may be lurking below the surface."

Eadric sat down on the ground and began whispering incantations under his breath. His scouts stood to guard around him, scanning the area for any potential threats. Gunnar, curious, asked, "What are you doing?"

One of the scouts stepped forward and explained, "Eadric is a skilled sorcerer. He specializes in summoning magic, which allows him to conjure creatures and control them through his mind."

After a moment of concentration, a faint glow surrounded Eadric, and suddenly a small fish materialized out of thin air, jumping out of his hands and into the water.

Eadric carefully swam deeper, the faint glow still surrounding him as he maintained his control over the small fish. As he swam, he saw through the fish's eyes that there were no other fish in the lake. It was as if the lake belonged to Inyoka alone.

Finally, after a few moments, he saw a large white tail in the distance, protruding out of the water. Eadric's heart raced with fear as he realized they were finally close to their target. He continued to swim closer, and soon he saw the torso of the beast, covered in shimmering silver scales that glinted in the sunlight filtering through the water.

Eadric knew that they had to be careful not to alert Inyoka of their presence. He swam closer, trying to get a better view of the beast, but he was also mindful of not getting too close.

But there was something peculiar about the serpent. As he noticed that its body was in an odd position - unlike any serpent he had seen before. Instead of the usual curled-up position that serpents assumed, this one was twisted into an unnaturally straight line.

Eadric swam even deeper toward the head of the serpent, and as he approached, he saw something that made him jump. The eyes of the serpent were open, but it was as if the serpent didn't notice the small fish. Eadric noticed something strange - the eyes were supposed to be yellow, but they had a faint purple glow. This was not what he expected to see.

Suddenly, the realization struck him. The rumors he had heard about the Imperium beast controlling corrupted monsters during the reign of terror flashed through his mind. The monsters had the same faint purple color in their eyes that he was now seeing in the serpent's eyes.

Eadric quickly disconnected the link with the fish and turned to his companions. His face was filled with concern as he explained what he had just witnessed. "The Inyoka is being controlled," he said, his voice barely above a whisper. "It's not natural."

The scouts looked at each other, their expressions mirroring Eadric's concern. "Controlled by whom?" one of them asked.

Eadric shook his head. "I'm not sure, but it's likely the Imperium. The purple eyes are a giveaway. They have the power to control corrupted monsters."

After Eadric's revelation, the scouts were left in shock. "We need to leave this place immediately," said Gunnar, and the group quickly agreed, making their way out of the forest with a newfound sense of urgency.

0