The Main Phase Begins!
284 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 190 - The Main Phase Begins!

After Song Yazhu's reprimand, the fighting resumed as if nothing had happened. The students on stage continued to exchange blows as they tried to win. Those who weren't fighting acted as spectators or received the care of the supporting martial artists they had chosen for themselves.

It took a full day to finish the preliminaries. Since 125 fights had to be played, the fighters couldn't rage on a single battle, thus reducing the time taken by individual fights. Even so, it was still a long and tiring process.

Hei was the first in his group even though he didn't get a full score. The students of the academy were all considered geniuses, and therefore it was normal that it would have been easy to obtain victory in every match. Ye and Xing were strong, but they were unable to use their Elemental Laws, thus suffering a couple of defeats each. Although it was frustrating for the two little divine beasts, Hei knew it would benefit their growth as they were very competitive. In any case, since they fought like three, he overtook the other strong contenders of his group with a strategy of attrition. After all, from the hundredth match onwards, the spirit power of fighters had begun running out.

Even Lian, Leon, He Fen, Lang, and Fenrir get first place in their group. Unlike Hei, they didn't fight as three entities united in one, but they were still helped by Mareo and the other supporting martial artists of their group. Thanks to their help, they managed to maximize their chances of winning, taking first place in the end.

In addition to Hei's party, Imperial Prince Long Tian and his four guards all moved on to the main phase of the tournament. The same was true of Hu Jie, Feng Chen, and Huli Xieren. All of them had a noble background, were extraordinarily talented, and possessed powerful techniques. The fact that they had obtained the first place was, therefore, part of everyone's expectations.

"The preliminaries are over. The 32 fighters for the main phase of the tournament, which will take place in a month, have been decided. You have a month to prepare and make the last changes to your fighting style. Later, you will also receive the prizes for your placements.

During this month, those who have achieved more wins than the winner of another group will be able to launch their challenges. However, it will have to take place within a week before the start of the main phase of the tournament. If you haven't launched your challenge before then, your right to challenge will be void.

Now, you are dismissed. Go to rest and restore your wounds. The outsiders who have been brought to the academy will have to leave right now. No exceptions are allowed."

When he finished speaking, Song Yazhu disappeared from everyone's sight. However, it was sure he was still around, as there were still people outside the academy. As a first-year teacher, he was also responsible for the safety of the students.

"Phew, and this is also over. I'm exhausted." Lilian said, yawning loudly. Even though she was a woman, she didn't conform to the etiquette, and her behavior was always rough. But by now, the others had got used to it.

"Yeah, but mostly I'm hungry," Mareo added, placing a hand on his stomach. Supporting was just as tiring as fighting. Although they received no injuries, it was still true that their spirit power was depleted.

"Why don't we go eat first? We skipped lunch; at least we have to eat dinner." Leon proposed to the rest of the group.

His proposal was accepted with everyone's consent. They had spent the whole day in preliminaries, and it was evening now. A generous meal followed by long sleep was the ideal medicine for their bodies and spirits. So they all went to the canteen to refresh themselves and recover their energy.

*

A month passed quickly. The academy had completed the massive stage that would be the battleground for this event. Giant stands were also built around the stage, rising for tens and tens of meters and could host tens of thousands of spectators. Therefore it was possible not only to welcome those who were connected to the academy but as well all the other external guests who came to attend the tournament.

The academy organized things in grand style, sending invitations to all influential families in the Southern Region to attend the event. Since this was a rare event and at the moment no battles were going on with the demons, all the guests decided to participate. After all, since their sons were participating, the family heads of the Feng Family and the Hu Family would also attend. In addition to them, there would also be the Academy Dean, Spirit Emperor Long Jing, belonging to the Imperial Family. As less influential families, this would be an excellent opportunity to make contacts with some of the biggest shots in the Sun Empire.

Mumble. Mumble.

An incessant mumble dominated every part of the stadium set up by the academy. The students who didn't get to participate in the main phase of the tournament were in high spirits. It was the first time they had seen so many important martial artists, and they were excited by the news received not long ago by the academy. Even without being the main show, they could exhibit their skills in front of such a grand audience.

The prestigious families of the Southern Region had presented themselves in full, bringing the most promising young people of the younger generation, several elders, and even their family heads. But despite being respected and prestigious guests, their presence was overshadowed by the two big shots which showed up to attend the tournament. The eyes of all the spectators were fixed on them.

Hu Luoyang and Feng Qing. The two heads of the Hu Family and the Feng Family, two of the Eight Big Families. Not only had they reached the rank of Spirit Emperor at a young age, according to the Empire's standards, but everyone recognized them as two of the most powerful Spirit Emperors. They were practically monstrous weapons in human form, which would unleash their power only in extreme situations. In addition to that, the two families also shared the control of the Southern Region, making them the unofficial lords thanks to the Empire's concession. Still, they were obliged to report to the Imperial Family about their management.

"Welcome, it's a pleasure to have you all as guests. In particular, I didn't expect to be able to welcome the heads of the Feng and Hu Families." said the dean of the Southern Royal War Academy, Long Jing to all the special guests.

"Old Jing, enough with formalities. You are older than us; we should be the ones addressing you with reverence. And then, you were even our teacher when we were at the academy, hahaha. It makes me strange that you call me formally. Even though many years have passed, I still consider you the grumpy teacher of the past." said Hu Luoyang plain-spoken.

As expected by Hu Jie's father, Hu Luoyang also seemed like an easy-going guy, more inclined to behave as he felt instead pretending to be polite. At the seat next to his, Feng Qing sighed. He seemed to have resigned himself to correct this side of his old classmate. It passed a lot of time from the last time he tried to reprimand Hu Luoyang.

"Excuse him, Teacher Jing. Even though he became a Spirit Emperor and the head of the family, he didn't grow up at all. Inside he still thinks he is a young man of the younger generation." Feng Qing calmly apologized.

"Ahahah, youth is not in the body but the spirit. You're the one who's acting too old. All those formalities and repression of desires will make you age earlier than expected." Hu Luoyang replied that he didn't seem to have heard the criticism of his companion.

Seeing this interaction between two of the biggest shots in the Sun Empire, the other special guests were all speechless, not knowing how to intervene in such a discussion. Although the heads of the other families had attained the rank of Spirit Emperor themselves, there were substantial differences between them. Hu Luoyang and Feng Qing belonged to the highest class among the Spirit Emperors while they were closer to the lower and intermediate classes.

"Hahaha, I see that even over the years, you haven't changed at all. I am pleased about that. I am curious to see your children's skills. Considering their talent, I'm sure their battle power isn't low." Long Jing took a seat between the two, in the seat assigned to the most important guest for the event. As dean of the academy, member of the Imperial Family, and Spirit Emperor, how could he not deserve this honor?

"My Hu Jie is strong. I have full confidence that he can reach the first place." Hu Luoyang boldly announced as if it were something written in stone.

"My son Feng Chen is also powerful. But there are many other capable fighters here. Your grandson is among the participants, right? If so, Feng Chen will have to commit himself wholeheartedly. We'll see how he does." Feng Qing replied with a more moderate attitude, worthy of the head of an important family like his.

"Yes. Long Tian is highly motivated to win. He told me, however, that in addition to your two children, in his year there are many interesting subjects, including one in particular. When I asked him to suggest to me who among the fighters he fears the most, he didn't mention the name of your two children, but he named another person."

At the words of Dean Long Jing, Hu Luoyang and Feng Qing raised their eyebrows in surprise. Even though they knew there were strong fighters, inside them, they believed that in the end, the contention for first place would only be between Long Tian, ​​Hu Jie, and Feng Chen. The others simply didn't have the talent and the background to overcome the children of these three prestigious families. But unexpectedly, Long Tian didn't name Hu Jie or Feng Chen; no, the one whom he most feared was someone else.

"Is it someone from an important family?" asked Feng Qing.

"No, he's someone with a practically zero background. Perhaps even less than zero as he doesn't come from the Empire's regions but the Forgotten Ocean." replied the dean.

"The Forgotten Ocean? Now I remember. Hu Jie had mentioned something about it, but to think that kid was so strong. What is this student called?" Hu Luoyang asked.

"Hei. A boy who came with a girl named Lian from the Forgotten Ocean. They are both qualified at the main phase of the tournament. I haven't verified it in person, but it's the first time I've heard Long Tian appreciate someone like that. I'm curious to see what his actual battle skills are."

Alongside the three powerful Spirit Emperors, the other guests of honor began to murmur among themselves. The conversation between the three hadn't been hidden at all, and everyone close to them could hear what they had said. Apparently, they had to keep an eye on this Hei.

So, many of them had become interested in Hei. Not only the Imperial Prince gave a high appraisal, but Hei was someone without a background, that is, he could be recruited into their families. If they had acquired such a talent, they could improve their prestige.

"Dead Long Jing, we're ready. We can start when you want."

Meanwhile, Song Yazhu had arrived at the place where Long Jing was seated. After kneeling reverently, the Spirit King announced that the participants for the tournament and their respective supporting martial artists were ready.

"Okay, thanks, Yazhu. You can go." the dean raised his hand to dismiss Song Yazhu, then he rose from his seat. He made a small cough to clear his throat and get everyone's attention.

The cough hit the ears of all spectators who quickly fell silent when they realized who was about to talk - the principal of the Southern Royal War Academy. It was a character known by all but of whom little was known because he didn't like to stand out. However, despite his secrecy, the power he could exercise was terrifying.

"I welcome all our guests. As the dean of the Southern Royal War Academy, I am honored to have you here with me for this great event. I hope you will appreciate the fruits of our work as teachers in raising these promising younglings."

Long Jing paused. Everyone applauded, and when they finished clapping, the principal went on, "Of the 4000 participants, only 32 were chosen. These 32 students have worked hard to get the possibility to show their skills in front of all of you. All for getting the first place. The rules are simple - we will proceed with one fight at a time, and the winner will be decided by K.O. or surrender by the loser.

Song Yazhu will act as the referee, and he can intervene at any time. As you know, the academy prohibits killing or causing permanent injury; these rules will also be applied to this event. Song Yazhu also has the opportunity to declare the winner if the result is clear, but none of the fighters want to give in or manage to end the fight.

The tournament will run over seven days. The first four days will be dedicated to the tournament up to the appointment of the two finalists. The fifth and sixth, instead, the academy will offer various shows with students of all three years to give way to the finalists to rest and recover strength. If any of the esteemed guests want to make some of the promising younglings brought with them fight, they can participate during these two days by submitting their candidacy to Song Yazhu. Lastly, the seventh day will be the final of the tournament in which the winner will be declared. On the evening of the seventh day, there will be a banquet and a celebratory dance where we will deliver the prizes, and you will be able to socialize among yourself. As for your accommodations, they are already settled. As soon as the first day of fighting is over, you will be taken to your residences.

With that, say it's time to start with the round of 32. We will begin with Block A, which will see the first sixteen fighters, and then we will move on to Block B. After which, of the 32 participants, only sixteen will pass to tomorrow. And now, let the tournament begin. Everyone enjoy the show!"

The headmaster's announcement was greeted by a roar of applause and shouts of excitement. The long-awaited event in the Southern Region was finally about to begin. Which of the 32 participants would come out on top?

5