Phoenix vs. Bullet
1.7k 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 197 - Phoenix vs. Bullet

Feng Cheng and Malcolm Hammond were face-to-face on the stage. The former was one of the biggest favorites to win the whole tournament, while the other was practically a nobody. He was one of those students who remained in the shadows all year round and then finally revealed his real strength. Although he had no background, he had managed to gain a place in the main phase of the tournament, although it couldn't even be said that he didn't have a background.

"Hey, Old Jing. Isn't that by accident?" Hu Luoyang asked when he observed the weapon in the hand of the young Malcolm Hammond. Feng Qing also slightly opened his eyes in surprise.

"Yes, that's what you are thinking. The weapon prototype we seized from the demons. We, the Royal Southern War Academy, have taken over the research in studying the prototype up to build a working model.

The young Malcolm is the son of a blacksmith who is working on the project. He has talent, but above all, he has shown an affinity with the new model. For this reason, I decided to have him enrolled in the tournament to test the results of the new weapon. During the preliminaries, he only used his strength, so Malcolm's fighting strength cannot be doubted. The experiment is to see how much the new weapon can increase our soldiers' fighting power." Long Jing explained as he carefully watched the stage.

The weapon in Malcolm Hammond's hand wasn't at all a sword or another type of cutting weapon or any other conventional weapon. Instead, it was a strange metal object that the young man was holding with ease with one hand. At the handle of the weapon, it followed a metal body, containing a cylinder that ended in a thin barrel. Looking at this, none of the spectators knew what that object was, except for the high spheres gathered there.

"Colt Single Action Army Revolver, this is the official name of the model while the base name of the weapon is Gun. Guns are weapons created by demons that enable the user to attack in rapid succession. It is based on creating shells containing spirit powers called bullets that are inserted inside the gun. The user then uses his spirit power to trigger the engraved formation and shoot the bullet. The metal barrel is used to direct the bullet in a precise direction and give it more speed.

Our tests showed that the activation time is reduced to a minimum, and the power achieved is satisfactory. From that point of view, it is a success. The problem is the creation of the bullets. As you know, the Principle of Maximum Elemental Density places a limit on the amount of spirit power that can be inserted within a given space. We experimented with materials from across the empire to find a combination that could hold large amounts of spirit power in such small objects. Our blacksmiths worked day after day without stopping. In the end, we got a league that can hold up to the early stages of the spirit master rank." said Old Jing as he illustrated the characteristics of the new weapon. Although it had been a secret project until recently, as it was going on with the live experimentation, it was no longer necessary to keep it as a secret.

"I understand, so one of the reasons you organized this tournament is to show us the functionality of the weapon and whether it is worth investing in, right?" commented Feng Qing to his old teacher and now principal of the academy.

"Hahaha, Old Jing. I didn't think you were so sneaky. Using our children as bait to force us to witness the demonstration of a new weapon. I like it. It seems that by aging, you have become funnier." Hu Luoyang burst out laughing when he learned one of the truths behind the tournament.

"Luoyang, don't be rude. However, Teacher Jing, you said that bullets could hold spirit power right up to the early stages of the spirit master rank. Does that mean that Malcolm Hammond can unleash the power of a spirit master even if he is a spirit soldier?" asked Feng Qing.

The face of Feng Qing was stern. If that were true, his son, Feng Chen, would practically have no chances of winning. But it wasn't only that. If a spirit soldier could exhibit the strength of spirit master, then what about higher ranks? Could someone who wasn't in the Spirit Emperor rank exhibit that kind of power? Based on Long Jing's answer, the situation of the entire Continent could change in just a moment.

"Unfortunately, no. We have seen that if you use bullets loaded with a higher rank spirit power than your cultivation rank, the bullets will escape the user's control, exploding inside the gun. Not only that, if you try to use bullets loaded with the spirit power of another person, even if of the same rank and stage, this danger still exists. So the young Malcolm is using bullets loaded with his spirit power.

However, the production speed of the bullets is too slow to think of mass production. We would need more capital and resources to produce results. Even though we are part of the Imperial Family, this is a project started by me only, using part of the budget of the Yellow Dragon Faction. Therefore, this is the reason for the need to find additional financiers who want to support the project. As you know, most of the resources of the Imperial Family are dedicated elsewhere."

At the words of Principal Long Jing, all the honor guests made a concerned expression. They knew well what Principal Long Jing was referring to and what was at stake. And the date of that day was inexorably approaching.

"Anyway. After several tests, we managed to develop an elemental technique to create bullets resulting from one's spirit power. Consumption is higher, but by doing so, it should be possible to proceed with the mass production of the guns even without finding suitable materials for the bullets. However, the problem with the gun body itself remains - the bullet also serves as a protective layer to prevent the gun from being unable to withstand the trigger formation. If any of the high-ranking martial artists wanted to use it, they would need a gun made of Spirit Metal. Therefore, to maintain costs and profits, for the moment, it is a weapon designed for low and medium rank martial artists."

Meanwhile, as the principal Long Jing further explained the details, the fight had begun. Malcolm Hammond was confident about the tournament. Not only was he a talented young martial artist, he had, after all, reached the beginner fifth stage spirit soldier, but he had the full support of the research team behind the Colt Single Action Army Revolver. The team was led by none other than Principal Long Jing, with the support of the Yellow Dragon Faction of the Imperial Family.

'With this weapon, I can do it. I can even overcome geniuses like Feng Cheng or Hu Jie. I can do it. I can win.' Malcolm Hammond said to himself as he activated his spirit power. The revolver he was holding had already been loaded with bullets.

Six bullets inside the cylinder. Sixty bullets available. A total of ten barrages. More than enough to win the fight.

It was the number of instant attacks Malcolm could make. Once those 60 bullets were finished, he would have to resort to the technique devised by the research team in generating bullets with his spirit power. Although the bullet-making process was slow within a fight, if he correctly managed the times, he could alternate spirit and material bullets.

'Unfortunately, I can't make spirit bullets in advance since they disappear after a while. But I trained a lot, and I should be able to reproduce them while I am fighting.'

Bang!

The first bullet inside the revolver was fired. The small metal object was thrown forward at incredible speed towards Feng Cheng.

Peng!

It was enough for Feng Cheng to slash once. The blade intervened in the trajectory of the bullet, blocking it. In the eyes of the audience, it might have seemed like an effortless movement, but it wasn't like that at all. Feng Chen, in fact, couldn't help but be amazed by the execution time and the speed with which the strange object had reached him. If it hadn't been because he was watching his opponent closely from the start, he wouldn't have had time to react. No, even if he had observed him, if he had been a few meters closer, he wouldn't have made it in time.

Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!

Peng! Peng! Peng! Peng! Peng!

Five more bullets and five more parries to the limit. Although it appeared that Malcolm Hammond's assault had gone up in smoke, it had been successful. Feng Chen had noticed the speed of those attacks and wouldn't carelessly advance towards his opponent, restricting himself by attacking from a distance. It was the ideal result for Malcolm because as long as he kept his distance, he had the confidence to beat Feng Chen.

There was a problem, though. The Revolver could only hold six bullets. As a result, after the first barrage, Malcolm had run out of bullets available in his gun. Obviously, his opponent, Feng Chen, didn't know it. However, the latter was still the best of the younger generation of the Feng Family; it wouldn't take long to figure out the maximum number of attacks in the gun.

"Gas Law, Steam Bullets," Malcolm shouted as he reached out his left hand. His spirit power condensed in his palm as he created six bullets of steam. In the meantime, his right hand opened the gun cylinder, ready to insert new bullets as soon as he finished creating them.

Whoosh!

As soon as Feng Chen noticed it, he immediately ran forward. The sword in his hand vibrated with the flames produced by his spirit power, giving it a reddish tinge.

'The trick in the speed of his shots is in that strange weapon. It should possess formations that allow it to shoot small metal objects, similar to darts, at high speed. However, given the size of the weapon, it isn't possible to contain an infinite number of those objects inside.

Six shots. This is the limit. Although it can be a trap, I have to check it on my body.' Feng Chen thought when the barrage finished, and he saw his opponent using his elemental technique to create new ammunition.

Click!

Malcolm completed his technique in time, just a moment before Feng Chen could cut him with his sword. Quickly, he slung the bullets into the revolver and pointed his gun at Feng Chen.

'Get ready for this nice surprise.' Malcolm thought as he couldn't wait for his bullet to make contact. The first barrage was all bullets loaded with pure spirit power, without the elemental conversion of the Laws. This time, however, they were bullets created directly by the Gas Law. Its power was certainly not comparable to that of before.

Feng Chen knew he couldn't dodge, so he created a thin fire shield in front of him. Since his goal was still to attack Malcolm Hammond, he used a barely enough quantity of spirit power to parry the bullet. In the first exchange, he measured the power behind his opponent's attack, and now he was adjusting his accordingly. Even though it was a risk, he couldn't needlessly waste his spirit power. After all, as talented as he was, he still wasn't able to handle multiple high-level techniques simultaneously. If he wanted to have enough spirit power to perform an immediate attack, then he had to reduce the power of his defense.

Bang! Boom!

The steam bullet fired from the revolver crashed into the fire shield, producing a boom. Feng Chen was enveloped in a cloud of steam before quickly moving away from that position. His exquisite robe had holes here and there while his fiery red hair had been messed up by the steam explosion. But for the rest, he had no visible wounds. However, the damage had taken place, and part of his defenses had been weakened.

'The power is different, but it is certainly the same execution principle. If something has changed, it is those little objects that he inserts into his strange weapon. Does that mean that material ones have reduced power while those created by his Elemental Law have more destructive power?' Feng Chen quickly examined the details of the attack just now.

His calm and analytical mind immediately allowed him to understand the situation and prepare for a counter-offensive. Unlike Hu Jie, who formulated his battle plan on the spot during the fight, depending on how the enemy behaved, Feng Chen was accustomed instead to analyze his opponent's moves to anticipate them.

'He should still have five shots right now, although I am not sure. But I can't even stay on the defensive while waiting for all the answers. Then, I will act as if there were five shots at his disposal.

While he is shooting, he can't generate more bullets, or otherwise, he wouldn't have taken such a big risk before. A second more and I would have cut him. So, I have to get close to him while dodging his five shots. At that point, he will proceed to use material ammunition because he won't have time to use his technique.

At that moment, the previous situation will arise again, but Malcolm's attack will be weaker. Enough for my fire shield to withstand the impact and allow me to land a hit.'

After preparing his battle plan, Feng Chen ran forward to his opponent. He even activated his speed technique to generate more momentum. Seeing this, Malcolm was amazed because he couldn't believe that Feng Chen would try to attack him when he still had five bullets left.

'If you get close to me at that speed, there is no way my bullets won't hit you. I'm sorry, but you signed your condemnation yourself.' Malcolm rejoiced as he watched Feng Chen's reckless advance.

Bang!

The steam bullet flew from the revolver barrel at high speed. With his target approaching, there was no way he would miss the target. However, unexpectedly, Feng Chen avoided the bullet. He didn't even have to use his sword. He dodged the bullet using only his body as if he had read its trajectory.

"What?!" Malcolm couldn't believe his eyes.

The speed of his bullets was something that spirit soldier-rank martial artists couldn't avoid at close range. During the first barrage, there was still some distance between the two of them, and therefore, the fact that Feng Chen had been able to react was understandable. But now it was a whole other story. How did he do it when he was moving forward at full speed? There was no way his senses were able to react so quickly unless he was a martial artist above the rank of the spirit soldier one. Yet Feng Chen was undoubtedly a spirit soldier in all respects.

"Haha. Your son is as smart as you, Feng Qing. He reminds me of you when you were young. I can't wait for him and Hu Jie to compete in the tournament." Hu Luoyang congratulated his old companion.

"It's only natural that Feng Chen is capable of this. After all, he's my son." Feng Qing replied proudly. Usually, he kept a calm attitude, but when it came to the honor of his family, he was easily susceptible. This characteristic was also reflected in his son Feng Chen.

"Young Feng Chen is good. Creating a light layer of fire in front of him to sense the bullets before they even get close to him. But it is still early to declare victory. Young Malcolm still has cards at his disposal." said Principal Long Jing.

What he said was true. From what Malcolm had done so far, it had been deduced two things - Malcolm Hammond had two types of bullets, material ones, and spirit ones. The material ones were ready-made, and they only needed to be loaded into the revolver. However, they were charged with pure spirit power; consequently, their power was inferior. The spirit ones were created by the Elemental Laws. It took time to create them, but their power was higher.

But the truth was different. The bullets in Malcolm's possession were three - material, spirit, and hybrid. Hybrid bullets were nothing more than material bullets loaded with elemental spirit power, combining the advantages of the other two types of bullets in one. It meant that Feng Chen's strategy was doomed to fail.

3