Chapter 1: Getting Started
169 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I blink for a few seconds and look around. My eyes land on a man behind a table smiling at me.

What the hell is happening? I remember that I just about to go to sleep, and the next thing I know, I'm inside this infinite white room. I can only see a desk, a chair, and a man sitting behind the desk.

I sigh and walk to him. I sit on the chair in front of him, and I can see his smile get bigger.

"I know you have a lot of questions, Terry."

"No shit."

"However, let me introduce myself first. My name is Vy, I have a real name, but you will get insane when you hear it."

That raises one of my eyebrows, but I decide to let him talk.

"I'm a Consultant or Manager, depending on if you agree to work with us."

"Work with you?"

"Yes. Have you heard of CYOA?"

"Choose your own adventure? Yeah."

"What about Waifu Catalog?"

I blink for a second at that question and say.

"Yes. A brainwashing and slaver company that takes women and men across the multiverse. Wait! You don't say ...."

"We are that company, yes. We want you to be one of our agents. However, before you say something, you will not be the regular agent. We need a troubleshooting agent. The one who takes care of problems for us. Many agents cause too many problems for us, and we need someone to take care of it."

"Why not ask the patron? There should be one, right?"

"Yes and no. The patron is a VERY powerful entity that can fix the problem. However, they can only fix something big. Something that affects the solar system, at least. When they try to fix a planet, it cannot handle their power and can explode or make the inhabitants go insane."

"So they need someone not too powerful to fix the problem."

"Bingo. That is where the troubleshooting agent comes in. They will be the ones taking care of the source of the problem while the patron is the one who rewinds the time before the problem gets bigger."

I look at him for a few seconds and say.

"Why me? I'm just a regular office worker. A zombie in the greater cog. I'm nothing special."

He smiles and snaps his finger. A second later, I can see the world around us change. I can see my life moving around the world as if I were watching a movie but at three times the speed.

"That is why we chose you, Terry. Here."

The movie stopped, and now I'm in front of a scene from childhood. The child held a long ruler and swung it around, laughing and screaming about him being a knight who would save the world. It was simpler when I didn't need to worry about money and food. The time when I don't need to worry about work and the headache of thinking the manager is screaming at me for something I did not do.

It was a beautiful time.

"Deep down, you want adventure. Troubleshooting Agent is a stressful and dangerous job. We want someone who will enjoy it and not go south when they are in a stressful situation. We have a lot of them in the other division."

I keep looking at the happier memory in front of me while the man keeps talking.

"The heart who wants to see something exciting but will not sacrifice all to achieve that. Too many agents sacrifice anything they have to see something exciting and create many problems. We want to give you that adventure you crave so much, and in return, you will take care of the problem for our company. You will also save a world in return. What do you think? The omniverse is full of wonder but also danger. We will give you something to make you grow so you can enjoy your adventure."

I look at the memory again and then at the man in front of me.

"I accept. Let me work with you."

"Great!"

He claps his hand, and suddenly we are inside what looks like a high-end office. Gone is the bland never-ending white room, and now we are inside a room facing a beautiful ocean.

"Welcome to my pocket dimension. Please enjoy the snack while I prepare the contract."

I nod and take a couple of cookies from the plate. I take a bite, and my mouth is bombarded with flavor. I quickly eat the cookies in my hand and take another one.

"I'm glad you like them. Anyway, here is the contract."

I eat the cookie in my hand and take the contract. I read the contract for a few minutes and said.

"Is this serious?"

"Yes."

"I will get paid ten thousand US dollars every month."

"Yes."

"I need to complete ten missions from the company, and then  I'm free to go."

"If you want to work with us, you can. We will even give you a bonus as a free agent. However, I need to warn you that each mission can take a year to who knows how long."

"Right. While I'm still a troubleshooting agent, I cannot sell the goods, Waifu and Husbando, but I can capture them."

"Yes. You should know how it works, right?"

"Yes. I capture a waifu, and the company will clone the DNA. However, because of limitations, the company can only clone three of them because if you guys clone more than three with the same DNA, something weird will happen."

"Yes. A client in the past got a waifu with a dick on top of her vagina. Lucky for us, he enjoys it."

"Right. Because I'm a troubleshooting agent, I get a full heal benefit that I can use once every mission."

"You and your retainer can use them. It will heal and put your body into its peak performance. That includes missing limbs or organs. We will grow them back."

"That is good. In case I die on a mission, you will give a monthly payment to my family of my choosing."

"Only one. Either your parents, your wife, or your child. If you don't have them, we will not give them."

"Fair enough. The last one, I can ask to abandon the mission if I have enough reasons, like the information is wrong or if the source of the problem is more powerful than me. I also can abandon a mission once without asking for permission. If I do more than one, I will be punished. The first one will cut my earning points by eighty percent, and the company will take some of the power I choose when I join the company. The second one is the agent's termination; their soul will be burned, and their existence will be erased. Yikes."

"Our company is fair. You get a lot of things from us, and in return, we want you to give your all. We will not tie you to our company forever. Ten missions are done, and you are now a free agent. The free agents will be given a choice. A permanent agent in our company or stay as a free agent. You will learn them when you reach that stage."

I nod and look at the contract in my hand for a few seconds.

"Is this real? I don't know if you use some sort of magic to make what I read a fake document, and the real one is something that makes me your slave."

"No. We want to make sure the troubleshooting agent is as comfortable as possible because of how dangerous their mission often is. A happy agent makes our life easier."

I look at him for a few seconds and smile.

"Can I borrow your pen?"

7