Chapter 4: First Step
94 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Thank you"

I bow a little when the woman gives me a bowl of soup.

"Don't mention it."

Hinoa gives me a smile that I swear releases a light that illuminates the room. I smile at her and take a sip of the soup. Hmmm, miso soup. I rarely eat Japanese food, but I like good miso soup. Besides miso soup, the cat also gives me grilled fish, a bowl of rice, and a small serving of pickled vegetables.

After eating all of them, I instinctually clap my hands and say.

"Thank you for the food."

Hmmm, is this the Communication Talent?

"Oi, Hinoa! Is the new guy done eating?"

I look to the door and see an older man enter the room. He is a tall guy, around two meters tall or around 6'5. He wears armor covering his chest, arms, waist, and legs. I can also put a pair of swords behind his back.

When his eyes land on me, his smile gets bigger, and he says.

"Oh! It looks like he is done eating! Morning youngster!"

He walks to me, and I can see Hinoa sigh.

"Elder, please use your indoor voice."

"Bwahahahaha! This is the way I talk, Hinoa! It also helps release the youth inside of me! Bwahahahaha!'

I don't know why; I chuckle at his words. He reminds me of my grandpa. He always laughs at the littlest thing, and when I ask, he only says.

"Life is short, and I rather laugh than cry or get angry at something. Laugh and let your spirit of youth roar because time will not let you have your youth forever."

I miss him. You miss someone when they are already gone.

"See Hinoa? This young man knows what's up! Bwahahaha!"

The elder laughs once again but a second later, his expression changes. His face gets serious, and I can see Hinoa's expression also changes.

"I'm sorry to ask this, young man, but can you tell me the reason why your body is floating on the sea?"

I take a deep breath as my Communication Talent starts to work at full power.

"We are ambushed."

"Ambushed?"

"Yes. I'm a soon-to-be hunter for the kingdom. However, when we set sail to the last exam ground, we were ambushed by a Leviathan class monster."

"What is it?"

"Mizutsune."

"Mizutsune? How far are you when it attacks?"

"We are rather far away."

The elder rubs his chin after I say that.

"Mizutsune, attacking that deep into the sea? How big is it?"

"It was five meters long, and I think the height is around one and a half meters."

"I see. It is like the other."

"The other?"

The elder looks at me for a few seconds and sighs.

"Something must happen on this island. A lot of monsters get stronger and bigger than their normal size. The Mizutsune you encounter is one of them."

"I see."

I sigh a little and look at the ground. What should I do now? Should I ask him to accept me as their hunter? I tried to use my Communication Talent, but it told me to stay silent for some reason.

After a few seconds of silence, the Elder suddenly says.

"Say, young man?"

"Yes?"

"Do you want to be a hunter?"

"What?"

The Elder sighs and says.

"I hate to say this, but we need another hunter. Our village will not survive for long if it keeps going like this."

"Elder… Is it really that bad?"

Hinoa looks at him with a shocked expression.

"Yes. You and the others might not know this, but the situation in the frontline gets even dire–to the point that the kingdom cannot help us with this situation because they also have an outbreak of monsters. No one loses their life, but I fear it will change in the future."

"I-I see"

I look at the elder for a second and say.

"And why do you want me? I'm just a failure of a hunter. I failed to save my friend. I failed my duty. Even when I manage to kill that bastard, I'm still letting my friend die in that ocean."

The elder looks me right in the eyes and says.

"Before I answer that, tell me something. What is the duty of a hunter?"

"Protector. We are a protector of the weak. We are the wall that shields the innocent. We are also a  sword that kills the monster, but our main duty is to protect the ones who can't protect themselves."

Without even thinking about something, my mouth keeps talking, and the more I talk, the bigger the smile the elder has.

"Good! I know my instinct never fails me! You are right! We are the protector! Many youths think we are the sword, but we are the shield first and foremost."

He laughs loudly and then gives me a gentle smile.

"You are not a failure, my boy. Your conviction to protect the other never falters, even when you witness such a tragedy. You are a true hunter. I'm happy to accept you among our ranks. Will you lend your strength to protect this village? We did not have much, but we will protect each other, like family."

He offers me his hand while smiling. To the side, Hinoa looks at me with a gentle smile and hopeful gaze.

I look at the hand for a second and take it.

"My name is Terry, and please take care of me from now on."

"Bwahahahaha! Good! Anyway, the name is Fugen! Let me show you the other soon-to-be hunter! Come on!"

Without even asking for confirmation, Fugen drags me away from the house. I can hear Hinoa screaming at us.

"Elder! He is not well yet! Elder! Elder!!!"

Fugen ignores her and continues to walk. I can see people looking at me, not in a weird way but with curiosity. I still have my Western face, while most of the people in this place look like they are coming from Japan. Hell, the building looks like it came from Edo-Era Japan.

The elder takes me to a house not too far away from where I come from, and I can see five people looking at us when we are inside.

"Elder Fugen!"

"Ah! Utsushi!"

I look up and see a man with black hair and eyes, wearing ninja garb, walk toward us.

"What can I do for you, Elder Fugen?"

"I'm bringing you another student! Teach him like how you teach the other! He was already in his last exam before tragedy struck. I will tell you later. For now, test him and show him how it works around here, okay?"

The ninja, Utsushi, looks at me for a few seconds and then says.

"Very well."

"Great! Terry! This is Utsushi! However, when you are under him, please call him Master Utsushi."

I nod and say.

"Of course, Elder. It is nice to meet you, Master Utsushi. Please take care of me."

Utsushi nods and looks pleased with my manner.

"Well, at least you are well-mannered, unlike the person taking you here."

"Oi! My manner is fantastic, thank you very much. Anyway, I will leave him here. I need to take care of something."

"Of course. Please take care, Elder."

After the elder is gone, Utsushi looks at me and says,

"At least we have an even number now. Go stand with the rest of your classmates."

I nod and stand beside a young woman with short black hair and beautiful sapphire eyes. I smile at her and say.

"My name is Terry. It is nice to meet you."

She smiles brightly at me and says.

"Tsukuyo! It is nice to have another hunter!"

I smile at her and am about to say something. However, before I can say something, Utsushi says,

"Alright! With an even number, we can start with sparring! Take the weapon you like from the box over there! Your sparring partner is the one next to you! You have a minute of preparation!"

I look at Tsukuyo and say.

"It looks like we will be sparring partners!"

"End! Please go easy on me!"

I smile and walk to the box. I can see a lot of weapons inside the box. I instinctually take the massive crossbow-like weapon. When I touch it, a rush of memory gets inside my head. I can see myself moving around using this weapon and firing it at a massive monster.

It is like instead of getting used to new weapons; I'm now getting used to weapons after so long not using them.

I smile a little and whisper.

"Let's do this."

To my new adventure.

If you want to support me, you can go to my Patreon and help me reach my goal. When we reach that goal, I will quit my job and make writing a full-time job. I also post the same goal in my Ko-Fi. Anyway, thanks for reading my story, and have a good day!

6