[Arc 2 – First Quest] Chapter 14 -Monster Classifications
306 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After the class, excluding Fumiko, finished their disastrous 10 minute pop quiz, Masou collected the notebooks and handed them to Ms. Morita. While she checked them, the class conversed among themselves.

"Does the classes and characteristics of the monsters really matter?" Narumi asked Kouta. "It's not like adventures sit there and study them when they're in dungeons, they just kill them and move on."

"I mean, you may be right but it wouldn't hurt to know what you're up against when you're down there. You never know, maybe learning this stuff might pay off."

"I don't know, Narumi may be right though." Katsumi agreed. "Do you think all the Platinum ranked adventures care what's in front of them? They just do their jobs. That's how they became great, cutting down anything in their way."

"Sounds like you admire them a lot huh?" Narumi asked.

"I mean how could you not? Those guys put in so much work and effort to keep this city safe. I want to be like them when I graduate."

"That's a cool dre-" Kouta was about to tell his classmate before Saburo interrupted.

"How foolish." He said while pushing up his glasses to his nose.

"Here he goes." Narumi said as she sighed and shook her head.

Katsumi stood up. "Excuse me?" He questioned in an offended tone. "What's foolish?"

"The fact that you think you can become a Platinum adventurer. The very thought of it is foolish. You think you can become one by just slaying whatever's standing in your way? Don't make me laugh. With that childlike approach, I'd be surprised if you even manage to pass this semester let alone becoming an actual adventurer.

"And you think you can become one?" He retorted angrily.

"Of course." He swiftly answered, "I possess the talent and discipline for it. If anything, I have a better chance than you. Oh but don't worry, I'll still let you clean my swords after I finish questing."

"Enough you two." Ms. Morita told them without looking up from the notebooks she was grading. "It's pointless arguing over something that's so far away at the moment. Being an adventurer takes more than just talent and discipline. You kids couldn't possible understand at this point in time.

Reluctantly, Katsumi sat down.

"Now," Morita continued. "What you kids need to worrying about, instead of rushing your way to dungeons, is these.” She held up one of the student's notebooks in the air with her right hand. "None of you guys passed. It sounds like you guys need a refresher.” She got up from her desk that was in the corner of the room and walked over to the podium that stood in the middle. She opened the book that was on it and chanted something. She turned around towards the board and put her hand out to it, her palm exposed. Instantly, the board was filled with data titled "Classification of Monsters." Under it, were the words, "Class A, Class B, Class C, Class D, and Class E".

"What type of magic did I just use?" Morita asked her students. Katsumi and Saburo stood up at the same time. "Katsumi, answer."

Katsumi flashed a small smirk at Saburo before answering. "Projection Magic, Ms. Morita"

"Very good. Now tell me, is Projection Magic classified as Primary or Secondary Magic?"

Katsumi didn't know the answer. "Uhhh-"

"Secondary, Ms. Morita." Saburo interjected, then replicated the smirk that Katsumi showed him and fired it back.

"Good. Do well to remember this class. Both of you take a seat." She tapped the section labeled “Class E" on the board. The other information on the board disappeared and the words "Class E" flew to the upper left corner. Under it, information on Class E Monsters appeared and with it, an image of a spider like creature.

"Class E Monsters are the lowest class of monsters according to the Official Classification System. By no means does that mean that they are weak. No matter what adventurers face, they always take precaution. Even the slightest mistake could cause you harm, or even worse."

"Kind of scary don't you think?" Akira whispered to Fumiko.

"I guess."

"Moving on,” Morita slid the board to the right and this time, the information presented was labeled, "Class D". Under it displayed a yellowish slime creature. "Class D, is the second weakest class. Many of Class E and D monsters are found in ruins, not caves or dungeons. They are usually no bigger than 5 feet tall.

"Hey, Hibiki's almost that tall. Almost." Itsuki joked out loud. A few chuckles emerged from the class.

"Shut up!" Hibiki responded. He had a large smudge of black marker on his left cheek due to him not being able to completely wash off the trash can Itsuki drew on him earlier.

Ignoring them, Morita slid her hand across the board again, revealing the next class. "Next we have Class C Monsters. These monsters are dangerous and should be dealt with using extreme caution. They're mostly found in caves rather than ruins. The chances of an adventurer defeating one alone are very slim. That's why adventurers should never enter a cave and engage with one these monsters by their lonesome. She pointed the image under the text, a picture of a large wolf with 3 eyes. "Imagine facing one of these by yourself."

Some members of class began to laugh nervously.

"Exactly." She slid over once more, displaying information on the next class. "Class B Monsters are the second strongest classification. They usually are in groups and have a leader among them. They're smart and can get the jump on you if you don't strategically plan your attack on them. They are found in dungeons and sometimes caves." The image this time showed a picture of a group of three golems that were each labeled 8 feet tall.

"That brings us to our last class, the strongest of them all." She swiped across the board one more time. "Class A monsters, are the most dangerous creatures on the Classification System. Unlike the others, only a few creatures are classified as this type, including dragons. Your teacher, Mr. Yano, is famously known for slaying one by himself."

The class let out a loud "Huh??"

"You're joking right? There's no way Mr. Yano did that!" Arata exclaimed in disbelief.

"Someone like that?!"

"I didn't even know he used to be an adventurer!"

"I thought he was just some lazy teacher!"

"That's not true." Morita told them. "He used to be a Gold adventurer after all.

"Gold?!?!" The class erupted in disbelief.

"There's no way."

"Why didn't he tell us?"

"Maybe he didn't want us to know."

Morita walked back over to the podium and closed the book, disabling the Projection Magic. The information on the board disappeared and the board went back to its normal, empty state. "Now that we've reviewed the content, let's try this one more time. Saburo, come pass back the notebooks, we're taking another quiz since you all failed the first one.

"Not again!"

The class finished up Monster Studies, then went on to their 6th and final period, Magic. After it ended, the bell rang for the last time, signaling the end of the day at the magic academy.

6