Chapter 68 – The Old Conclave
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Was that your girlfriend I heard you talking to?" Mentos emerged from the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist and another in his hand, which he used to dry his damp hair. Water droplets glistened on his toned, muscular body as they rolled down and dripped onto the floor. He had overheard the last part of Hao and Ciara's conversation.

Hao looked peeved, "How many times do I have to tell you that she is not my girlfriend?"

Mentos chuckled, "As many times it will take to convince me, but you and I both know that will never happen. So, what did she want?"

"Nothing important, just calling to check up on me." Hao didn't think long about this. "She did mention that she had been paid a visit by those persistent Imperial Hounds who are after me."

"For real?" Mentos' eyes widened in shock. "If they found her, then it's only a matter of time before they find where I live as well." Panic filled his expression then he hurriedly began to pick up his scattered belongings.

"No sweat." Hao tried to calm his worries. "Those bozos will never find this place, even Ciara doesn't know that you live here."

"That doesn't say. They can still find us somehow. I can feel it in my gut." Mentos continued to fret, but Hao decided it was best to change the subject.

“Let’s talk about something else.” The conversation they sparked up next involved topics related to Yoad and his Bastian-Barkcode, they were still on edge about what happened to them.

“I think this will do for now.” Finished patching his wounds, Hao picked up Judgment Day from the table and asked his friend, "Ready to go?"

"What's the rush? Aren't you going to shower first before we head out? Weren't you the one complaining back on the Skyship about needing to shower because your skin was feeling itchy?"

"Trust me, I got my fair share of cleansing in Katana Creek, the water was wild. Speaking of which... I almost got my ass chewed off by this rusty ass metal shark while I was under. How come you didn't tell me that such dangerous creatures existed in the creek?"

"Well, you didn't ask. Did you think my job as a Scrap Diver was playing around in the water all day long?" Mentos scoffed, then went on to describe the myriad dangers he faced in his line of work. He spoke of the treacherous underwater currents, the aggressive aquatic creatures, and the ever-present threat of running out of air while doing deeper dives. Hao listened carefully, his respect for his friend's profession was growing with each harrowing tale.

"I’ve heard enough ghost stories. Come on, let's get out of here." Hao picked up Vibe Edge and moved towards the exit, eager to leave the house.

"Let me get dressed first." Mentos sighed and started pulling on his clothes, while Hao impatiently tapped his foot.

They left for the Conclave in the later evening when the light of the sun was becoming less and less visible. They decided to take ground transportation to avoid any attention by air, seeing that the OSD operatives were still surveying the area for bandits.

After descending the flight of stairs, they walked by some workers who were on duty Scrap Diving, Mentos brought Hao to his old garage at the back of his workshop where various metallic scraps were stored and also where his vehicle was held.

Mentos' vehicle was a common mount known as Libdo Ranger, a lizard creature with mechanical augmentations. Its comfortable saddle and fast speed made it perfect for traversing the rough, rocky, and hilly terrain leading to the Conclave. The Libdo Ranger also had the unique ability to walk on the side of walls and spit acidic slime balls as a defence mechanism.

“Let’s hop on.” Said Mentos.

After they climbed onto the Libdo Ranger and set out of the garage, Hao marvelled at the motion of the creature while it carried them effortlessly through the rugged landscape. Before long, they arrived at a cave atop a hilly slope, surrounded by tall trees and dense vegetation. They dismounted the Libdo Ranger, Mentos thanked his ride before leaving it outside.

Both Hao and Mentos made their way inside the Conclave while they continued their conversation, discussing their next course of action.

“Here we are.” Hao was the first to set foot inside followed by Mentos.

The interior of the Conclave was illuminated by sword torches mounted on the walls. Dust swirled in the air, disturbed by their footsteps, and huge rocks were scattered throughout the space. A small workbench in the corner held various items and tools, and a rope and pulley system led to a bottomless dark pit in the back, a remnant from the days when miners used it to extract Kem Ores. The Conclave had acquired its name from the secret meetings once held by a group of rebellious miners within its walls. Mentos and Hao had discovered it during one of their early escapades together, and it had since become their hideout.

Maelstrom, was chained to a rock in the corner, behaving aggressively, possibly because it had witnessed Hao defeating its former master, Kiera. Hao had also tied the Sword Fishes to a rock so they wouldn't stray away. They seemed more docile than Maelstrom, but their gazes remained wary and uncertain.

"Hey, Hao, do you know the history of this place we call the Conclave?"

"No, not really," Hao admitted, intrigued by Mentos' sudden enthusiasm.

"Well, let me fill you in on a little secret." Mentos cleared his throat before launching into his story. "Once upon a time, this place used to be a hub for miners seeking valuable resources, specifically Kem Ores. It was a bustling community, with people from all over coming here to try their luck at striking it rich. Over time, it had become a haven for outcasts and those seeking refuge from the outside world. I never thought I would come back here in a long time”

While walking further in, Mentos gestured towards a wooden workbench in the corner. "You see that bench over there? That's where the old folks used to tinker with machines and experiment with new technologies. I’m surprised the darn thing is still intact."

Hao’s curiosity was now piqued. "What kind of machines did they work on?"

Mentos conveyed, "All sorts of things, really. I heard they built the first generation of small drones that could navigate through tight spaces and a handheld device that could analyse mineral samples. But those were just child's play compared to what is possible now."

“You’re right about that. Our society has evolved drastically. So what about the Conclave? Anymore dashing stories?”

Mentos paused for a moment before saying, "It's a long and complicated story that occurred some ancient time ago, but I'll give you the short version. Mining Kem ores was a profitable business for many years, but eventually, the supply of Kem Ores began to dwindle, and the town fell into disrepair. Many of the miners were forced to leave and find work elsewhere."

Hao commented, "I see. But how did it become a refuge for outcasts?"

Mentos sighed, "It happened gradually over time. As the town became more and more deserted, people began to move in and make use of the abandoned complex. At first, it was just a few squatters looking for a place to stay, but as more and more people arrived, a community began to form. It was a ragtag group of outcasts, rebels, and misfits, but they all shared one thing in common, a desire to escape the harsh realities of the world."

Hao furrowed his brow, "But isn't it dangerous to live underground back in those times? What about food and water?"

Mentos shrugged, "It's not ideal, but I supposed they made do. They had a system for collecting and purifying water, and they grew crops in small gardens. They had their own type of retro security measures in place. They may not have had the comforts of the world above, but maybe they had something much more valuable, freedom."

“Freedom, eh?” Hao began understanding the appeal of the Conclave.

"Thanks for sharing that, Mentos. I had no idea that this place had such a rich history."

Mentos smiled, "No problem, Vee. I'm glad I could give you a glimpse into the past. Now, let's get down to business. How do you plan to start the experiment on these beasts?"

The two friends settled in the cave, unaware that the Imperial Hounds were closing in on their prior location. Mentos was still very uneasy, but he took solace in the fact that they had each other's backs.

"Like a sword, we are defined not by our appearance but by our actions. Be kind, be honest, and be true to yourself, and you will earn the respect of others."

0