Chapter 70 – The Deadly Centzor Beast
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

BOOM!

The creature that had burst out from the ground was like nothing either of them had ever seen. It resembled a centipede, but it was massive, measuring at least six and a half meters in length. Its body was segmented, each section lined with thousands of tiny, writhing legs that moved in a coordinated, sinuous motion, much like a python. The exoskeleton was covered in thick, obsidian-black scales that looked to absorb light bizarrely, making the creature appear as if it were a void in the space it occupied. The scales were jagged and razor-sharp, forming a natural armour that bristled menacingly.

Its head was triangular, with two large, bulbous, unblinking eyes that seemed to stare directly into the souls of Mentos and Hao. In place of a mouth, it had a grotesque, writhing mass of tentacles that dripped with a viscous, greenish liquid. When the fluid made contact with a rock below, the stone began to sizzle then dissolve while emitting a putrid smell that made both friends gag.

The way the creature's scales absorb light was fascinating, yet terrifying. It was like they were made of a substance that not only didn't reflect light but actively consumed it.

“That creature… could it be… a Centzor?” Hao tried to focus his Vibe Sense on the creature's scales, but he found it difficult to glean any information. The light-devouring quality of the scales created a barrier that was almost impenetrable by his abilities, making the creature all the more dangerous.

As the monstrosity loomed over them, Hao continued to scan until he notice additional, chilling details. It had numerous barbed, whip-like appendages protruding from its back, when they twitched and undulated, they produced a swarm of hissing and scraping sounds that sent shivers down both their spines.

The Centzor, as Hao realized it was called, was known to be incredibly ruthless and unwelcoming to outsiders. He remembered the warnings he had heard about these creatures, but he had never expected to encounter one in the Conclave.

“What the hell…?” Mentos who was frozen in fear just a step away from the Centzor, looked up at the horrifying creature. His breath was caught in his throat. The sheer terror of the situation momentarily eclipsed his anger at Hao because his survival instincts took over.

GLARE! The Centzor's gaze bore deeply into Mentos’s soul, its unblinking eyes were studying him like a predator sizing up its prey.

‘I need to act…’ Hao knew that they needed to act quickly if they were to survive this encounter. Thus he secured Judgment Day at his back and reached for his Vibe Edge that he hoped would be more effective against the Centzor.

“Mentos get out of there!” Yelled Hao in the midst of unsheathing his Blade Edge while preparing to strike. In that same breath, the Centzor lunged at Mentos with its tentacle-mouth stretching out with incredible speed.

“Ah!” Mentos, acting purely on instinct, managed to roll out of the way just in time to avoid becoming worm food. Looking down, he witnessed the Centzor's acidic saliva sizzling on the ground where he had stood only moments before. “That’s wild.”

“Mentos! I’ve got your back!” Hao, seeing his friend in mortal danger utilized Night Tamer to quickly shorten the distance so he could launch his attack.

<You’ve used Night Tamer Lv 1 - Shadowstep Slash>

Arriving at his target, he slashed at the Centzor's elongated body, aiming for the vulnerable segments between its scales. CLANG! The creature hissed in pain as Hao's blade found purchase, a thick, black ichor began oozing from the wound.

Enraged, the Centzor turned its attention completely onto Hao. It then began lashing out with one of its whip-like appendages.

Slash! Slash!

The barbs tore through Hao's clothing and grazed his skin, drawing blood. He gritted his teeth against the pain and pressed on, resolved to protect Mentos and himself from this fearsome foe.

“GRAH!” The monstrous Centzor fearlessly lunged towards Hao with unbridled ferocity, its tentacled mouth was seeking to ensnare him. However, he leapt backwards, narrowly avoiding the creature's grasp. After he landed, he pivoted on one foot, swinging Vibe Edge in an elegant arc that sliced ahead until it severed one of the writhing tentacles.

“SCREEE!” The creature's cry of agony was painful to the ears.

Mentos, having regained his footing, joined the fray. "Hao, I'll go for the legs. You keep it distracted!" He shouted, gripping his Shark Skimmer tightly as he darted forward.

“Right.” Hao responded in acknowledgement without straying his focus away from the beast he was dancing with.

The Centzor continued to screech in pain and anger while whipping its barbed appendages towards Hao. He ducked and weaved, moving adroitly to evade the deadly barrage. With each swing, he could feel the rush of air and the razor-sharp barbs passing perilously close.

Mentos, meanwhile, nimbly danced between the Centzor's numerous legs, while using Shark Skimmer to sever joint after joint. The creature's ichor spattered against the cold stone floor as its legs buckled beneath it, the metallic teeth of Mentos's blade gave its flesh a good eating.

‘Right there!’Hao saw an opening and seized the opportunity. "Mentos, now!" He yelled, activating his Spin-Off ability. Vibe Edge transformed into a spinning whirlwind of arcane energy, slicing through the Centzor's remaining tentacles while Hao guided it with his hand.

“SCREEEE!” The Centzor's screeches reached a fever pitch.

Maelstrom, witnessing the battle, thrashed against its chains, hoping for the Centzor to destroy the two humans before it. Its agitation grew with each passing moment as he watched them continue to press their advantage. The Sword Fishes, on the other hand, eyed Hao with worry, they seem to be more concerned about his safety.

“How do you like that you fat sucker! Trying to scare me.” Mentos spat on the ground while glaring at his enemy.

The Centzor, despite its grievous wounds, refused to submit. Its tenacity was evident in the way it dragged its injured body towards Hao and Mentos, saliva dripping from its maw. With a final, desperate effort, it spat a glob of acid at them.

However, both of their reflexes were swift. While Mentos dove to the side, Hao somersaulted out of the way, as a result, the acid that was meant for him splashed onto Maelstrom's chain instead. The metal hissed and bubbled as it began to dissolve. Maelstrom sensed an opportunity for escape.

Mentos who was now backed into a corner, glanced over at Hao. "It's not going down! Vee, we need to finish this once and for all!"

“I agree.” With his determination steeling his resolve, he shouted, "On my signal!"  He started gathering his energy for one final, decisive strike. Mentos braced himself, ready to join his friend in the fated attack.

“SCREEE!” The Centzor, sensing that something was up, took a gamble and lunged towards Mentos with heightened murderous intent. Simultaneously Hao counted off the last second for his skill cooldown before he activated Spin-Off one final time.

“Go!” The whirlwind of Vibe Edge’s spinning energy surged forward, propelled by the full force of Hao's will. SLASH! SLASH! SLASH! It connected with the Centzor's body, eviscerating the creature in a shower of gore and ichor.

“Woah!”Mentos who saw the imminent danger, rolled out of the way just in time to avoid being crushed by the Centzor's falling carcass. THUD!  The cavern fell silent, save for the heavy breathing of the two combatants.

As for the Sword Fishes who were tied up in the corner, they were visibly relaxed, relief flooding their features when they saw Hao emerge victorious. Maelstrom, however, only glowered at the scene because its plans for escape were foiled and its hope for the Centzor's victory dashed.

Wise Feather: "Remember, the greatest victories are often the ones that come after the greatest struggles. Don't give up, and you will achieve your dreams."

0