Mistake #4: Get Out
81 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I realized I completely forgot that there were two floors in the tower and only added changes to one floor. Now there's only one.

Kevin figured that the little orb would leave him alone now that it was locked in a chest with its stupid key. He was wrong.

The voice could be heard while he was anywhere within the tower and it was driving him insane. He'd nearly had a heart attack while he was taking a piss and heard the stupid thing start screeching out of nowhere!

He stomped back to the little closet and flung open the door. The chest had collapsed in on itself and the top was shuddering violently as if the orb underneath it was trying to free itself. Kevin very roughly yanked the top off and grabbed the pulsing object.

<Finally,> the voice huffed. <How long did I have to scream until you came and got me?>

"Shut up," Kevin replied.  "I'm busy; I don't need you bothering me."

<Busy? Busy?! Doing what?>

"Relaxing, duh."

The orb pulsed brightly before it sighed and toned down its assault on his eyes. <Kevin, please. You chose a crafting class, you could at least make something useful.>

Kevin scratched his head as he walked back to his dream bedroom, orb in hand. "I don't know. It seems like I have everything I need...I could use a TV, though. Wait, I can just have you do it! Why didn't I think of this before? Orb, search up if there are any TVs in that system or whatever you call it."

<My name is Jeffrey-searching for a 'TV' in the core database...TV not found.>

"Well, that's just great," he muttered.

He sat down hard on his bed, wondering why this stupid dream wouldn't have a television of all things. What was he going to do now? He stared hard at the wall adjacent to the bed and then frowned. This tower needs more windows. How am I supposed to see what's happening outside?

Then it hit him.

"Core, can I get out of here?"

Silence. Frowning, he poked the orb in his hand. "Core? Tell me if I can get out of this dump."

It pulsed for a split second before it went dark again. Kevin shook the orb vigorously. "An-swer me! An-swer me! An-swer me!"

There was a soft grunt before the voice said, <I'm not aware of any being designated 'Core' in this Tower.>

Kevin flicked the thing and growled, "That's you."

<No,> the voice said testily. <I was born and raised as Jeffrey Jones. If you'd like me to search for this 'Core', though, I wouldn't mind taking a bit of my time to―>

"Just shut up and tell me if I can leave or not!"

The voice giggled as the orb shone a bright yellow light into Kevin's eyes. He cried out, dropping the orb onto the bed and rubbing his eyes. Who designed this stupid thing? Why did it have to be so bright?

<I can't understand your orders, sir. Do you want me to stop talking or tell you how to exit the Tower?>

Kevin refrained from smashing the orb into the wall and said, "Tell me how to get out!"

<You just have to walk out to the front door. Duh.>

That was it. Kevin was getting tired of this smart-ass. It was time to get rid of it―for good. He picked up the core and stomped out of his bedroom.

As if sensing his intentions, the orb started trembling. <W-where are you taking me?>

"Outside."

<What?! I can't go outside! Cores need to stay in their Towers!>

Kevin paused and smiled down at the orb in his hand. "So, something bad'll happen to you if someone takes you out of the Tower?"

<...Why are you asking?>

"Just answer the question, Jeffrey."

The voice groaned and started shaking. Was it trying to avoid answering? Wasn't it supposed to be subservient to him?

Then the orb started heating up. Its temperature turned so unbearably warm, Kevin threw it down the hall towards the door. Then he ducked into the nearby bathroom and shut the door behind him. He was not going to let it explode near him.

After a few stressful seconds, the voice spoke up in a pained voice, <It would be a very bad idea if you take me outside...>

Kevin grinned and poked his head out the door. He saw the orb sitting in a smoking hole on the floor, but that was fine. It wouldn't be here for much longer.

2