side story 1 part4
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

BIT – Side Story One (Part 4)

From a busy road to a quiet street, a young man drops Xiao Yi Jin home, and hugs her by surprise.

‘Sweet dreams,’ the young man says.

Xiao Yi Jin opens the front door. She senses someone standing behind her, and turns around. But she doesn’t see anyone.

Xiao Yi Jin walks into the living room, and her tired body falls onto the sofa. She’s been feverish since yesterday. Earlier when she drove her little brother’s lemon car, the engine stalled halfway to the pharmacy. She had to call a friend to take her home.

Xiao Yi Jin looks at the clock in the living room, it’s past ten in the evening. Her lively little brother isn’t home yet. She reluctantly stands up, walks to the kitchen, drinks a glass of water, and takes a sleeping pill.

Xiao Yi Jin hears the front door opening, and unexpectedly sees Wen Cheng.

‘Why are you here?’ Xiao Yi Jin asks.

Xiao Yi Jin doesn’t know why Wen Cheng left his own party early on his important day to see her.

Xiao Yi Jin remembers the first year she arrived in the U.S., Wen Cheng graduated from an IT college the same year. Although he was a graduate at the time, he was already influential in the IT industry. He slowly built his fortune of over four hundred million dollars. She’s surprised he didn’t start his own IT company sooner.

Xiao Yi Jin admires Wen Cheng. He’s still humble after becoming a successful rich handsome man. She always knew he would be successful. He didn’t disappoint his poor parents, and the people who believed in him by sponsoring his education. He ranked first in high school, went to study in the U.S., but kept his roots.

Xiao Yi Jin met Wen Cheng when she was a little girl. Even back then she knew she didn’t match up to his intelligence, and talents.

‘Yi Dong is drunk,’ Wen Cheng says. ‘I booked a room for him to sleep off the alcohol. I didn’t want you to worry so I came here to let you know.’

‘You didn’t need to come in person, you could have told me over the phone,’ Xiao Yi Jin says.

Xiao Yi Jin feels dizzy, perhaps it’s because she skipped dinner. ‘I haven’t congratulated you yet…’

‘Luo Luo, are you OK?’ Wen Cheng asks.

‘I’m OK,’ Xiao Yi Jin says. ‘I’ll pour you a cup of fresh lemonade I made. It tastes good.’

Wen Cheng sits on the sofa, and reads the magazine on the coffee table while Xiao Yi Jin’s in the kitchen.

Wen Cheng hears glass breaking. He rushes to the kitchen, and kneels beside Xiao Yi Jin lying on the kitchen floor.

‘Luo Luo!’ Wen Cheng calls. He holds her in his arms. ‘What happened?’

‘Mum, I feel cold,’ Xiao Yi Jin says in her feverish state.

Wen Cheng carries Xiao Yi Jin to her bedroom, and let her lie in bed. He walks back to the kitchen, pours a glass of water, and walks back to her bedroom. ‘Luo Luo, wake up. You need to drink water.’

Luo Luo opens her eyes. ‘Mmm…’

‘Open your mouth,’ Wen Cheng says.

Wen Cheng helps Xiao Yi Jin slowly drink water. He wipes her sweaty face, and wraps her in a blanket. ‘Luo Luo, everything is OK. You can sleep.’

Xiao Yi Jin grabs hold of Wen Cheng’s shirt. ‘Wen Cheng…’

Wen Cheng’s heart melts hearing Xiao Yi Jin call his name. ‘I’m here.’

‘Wen Cheng, I want to go home,’ Xiao Yi Jin says. ‘I want to play by the sea.’

‘Luo Luo, we’ll go home together when it’s Christmas,’ Wen Cheng says, stroking Luo Luo’s damp long hair. ‘I’ll take you to the willow gardens, and we’ll go hunting for your critters.’

Xiao Yi Jin smiles in her sleep. ‘Wen Cheng, you always say you don’t want to play with me. But you always let me drag you to catch ants.’

Wen Cheng laughs, and pinches Xiao Yi Jin’s cheeks. ‘How many of my plans have you ruined?’

Xiao Yi Jin bites Wen Cheng’s wrist in her sleep. When she’s awake, she’s a good fluffy pet, but she’s playful when she’s relaxed. He holds her cheeks, and he can’t resist doing something he always wanted to do, he kisses her lips.

Xiao Yi Jin feels like she’s dreaming of Wen Cheng kissing her sweetly.

Wen Cheng reluctantly lets go of Xiao Yi Jin’s cheeks, and the taste of her lips lingers on his lips. ‘Luo Luo, it’s safe for you to sleep. I’ll stay by your side while you sleep.’

The next morning, Xiao Yi Jin wakes up when sunlight enters her bedroom. She vaguely remembers Wen Cheng visited her last night. Did he leave?

Xiao Yi Jin slowly gets out of bed, and walks downstairs. She hears someone cooking, and talking to someone in the kitchen. It’s Wen Cheng’s voice. He didn’t leave.

Xiao Yi Jin doesn’t interrupt Wen Cheng cooking congee, and talking to someone on the phone.

‘Yi Dong is a genius,’ May says. ‘Intelligence must be hereditary.’

Wen Cheng laughs. ‘Um, some people called me to ask about him. They are interested in investing in his venture, but they wanted to know more about him.’

Xiao Yi Jin doesn’t doubt the woman Wen Cheng is talking to is May, because Wen Cheng only has a few close friends. She met May once. May is smart, funny and a beautiful woman.

‘Wen Cheng, tell me the truth, is she your sugar mummy’s little brother?’ May asks.

‘Don’t call her sugar mummy,’ Wen Cheng chides. ‘She doesn’t like being called a sugar mummy.’

‘Why not?’ May asks. ‘I can only dream about being a sugar mummy so I don’t need to follow you around.’

Wen Cheng sees the congee is cooked, and hangs up the phone. He scoops congee into a bowl for Xiao Yi Jin, but doesn’t notice she’s been standing near the kitchen for a long time.

End of Side Story One (Part 4)

0