Chapter 140: Reaching the finish line
255 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Thunder Wolf was not only coated in electric charges but it could also use this abundant energy to zap around. Making their tag into a rather fair competition speed-wise.

Two zaps and William and the wolf were already about to leave the vicinity of the others.

William glared back at Charkel, knowing full well that by leaving the area he allowed the other to act selfishly. But what could he do? This wolf was like fighting his clone, albeit a clone with an additional frying touch! If he allowed it to touch him he would be a goner. So going around it in circles was not an option.

For a third time, William evaded its lunge by sprinting a great distance ahead with his ability. Once he stopped his sprint he began looking for a suitable rock to throw at his foe, complaining, “Next time, I’m not going anywhere without a ranged weapon!”.

*Filifilifih!*, an aggressive tune rang out close-by. William could guess that the harsh noise came from Charkel’s flute, but as for its purpose? He couldn’t be entirely sure yet... He let his searing hand stir the ground around until he found another sharp rock. It got swiftly dug up and thrown at the beast.

The wolf dodged his primitive projectile, and this time it didn’t come lunging at him again. No, it had figured out his little scheme of dodging and countering, now that its rage had cooled down a bit. The wolf kept its murderous gaze on him, then it looked upward into the treetops to see if its little friend was still with them. The dinosaur could scantily be seen but it was definitely up there. Waiting silently for the wolf’s command, which was shortly growled to it in a low hum. Afterward, the Thunder Wolf went into its hunting pose.

William understood from its body-language that the predator was no longer interested in the sprint but in a full-on marathon. For as long as it could make their bodies touch, its victory was assured!

The atmosphere surrounding them was turning heavy and dark due to the dense clouds amassing up above. Another strike of lightning rampaged through the forest, and once the thunder followed, the race began.

William ran with all of his senses focused on the underbrush. One misstep, one stumble caused by a raised root, and he would be done for! Sizzled to a crisp! He probably wouldn’t live to be thirty now, but how could he care about such a thing when fleeing from a blood-thirsty animal!?

The wolf’s partner faded away into the distance as usual. It was not as eager to abuse its ability for nonsensical slaughter, the way its parent had done it for years...

While William ran consistently at full speed, the wolf would zap a few times to keep up with the pesky two-legs. They continued this ridiculous run for almost an hour. During this time, William had managed to circle around and head back to the others, even though the layout of the landscape was foreign to him.

What he hoped to find back at the beginning was some awoken backup and his now presumably chilled sword. For although he couldn’t wield the golden blade directly against the lightning beast, he could still try to throw it and see if it would be able to deal some real damage this time.

Another zap crackled behind his back, but unlike the others, this one sounded stronger and more unstable. William didn’t think much of it, until he heard the zapping noise again, this time, however, it came off as much weaker than before. Curious, he took a gander back. The Thunder wolf was still behind him, but not as eerily close as before. The distance between them grew and suddenly William was way ahead of it. He was starting to feel relief when a pang of pain crossed his exhausted heart.

The sudden ache scared him so naturally, he halted his steps, observing that the wolf had done the same.

From going on a full-on sprint with ease the wolf was now laboriously panting and swinging like a pendulum from side to side. Small white puffs of smoke came from its mouth, then drool, and lastly, some kind of black liquid dribbled from its canines.

William watched the moment his nightmare folded in on itself. Its grey pelt covered the earth and then all went silent… William went over to check if the creature really was dead. The sparks of energy from before were no longer visible and its chest had gone stale. William tried to touch the wolf’s fur as if he was playing with fire. The fur gave him a small shock but that was also it. His hand rested on the animal’s lukewarm back in peace as he felt its last strands of energy flee to the voids of the world. “It’s dead…”, he confirmed to himself, puzzled at the discovery.

Rustles of leaves made him gaze upward. There he saw the small dinosaur, who had come to check up on its parent. It stayed for a short while beholding the sight, then it left like the skittish creature it was.

William sighed, glad that Lucifer wasn’t that apathetic toward him before leaving the corpse behind for the living. Blissfully ignorant of the fact that his and the wolf’s fate were much alike, at least if he didn’t attain more energy soon.

Now one enemy had been dealt with. But what about the other?...

William ran back at normal speed so as to not abuse his lifespan further. When he returned, he came back to find Boros and Lucifer both lying lifelessly on the ground, whilst Thalgar and Charkel were nowhere to be seen…

Seeing the absence of the two, he knew exactly what that heinous fellow had done, “Damn it! That slimy bastard didn’t work alone!”, William huffed as his face steamed red.

7