Chapter 79: Windamere’s Feast
459 4 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This new annual holiday they were going to celebrate was called: Windamere’s Feast. 

It was a day fully dedicated to exterminating the usual pest, that came around this time of year: Trotashes. Normally peasants would have to deal with them on their own, with whatever tools they possessed. For contrary to William’s first beliefs, swords weren’t a common household item. They were after all quite expensive and not the most important thing to own, compared to practical tools and edibles. Even their father didn’t own a sword but had to borrow one whenever he went on official campaigns or was on duty.

So on this day, idle knights were dispatched to slay the bird-like-creatures. The reason being that is was now law to get rid of these pesky animals, who dared question lord Blaise and their fire-breathing dinosaurs. They had now become a symbol of resistance and thus were considered a common enemy. Hence they were killed and handed to the peasants who harbored them.

It ended up for most people as a luxurious feast that night, as food could be scarce during the winter. With a roasted trotash and deliciously eggs at the side, many could freshen up their energy that day. And so the tradition was quickly cherished and enforced.

William had just split paths with Remony and went on his own.

As he leisurely walked past other people’s houses, squawks and angry hisses filled the air. Along with the noise also came the view of multiple knights, that were busy taking care of people’s pests. William was busy being an onlooker until he heard the ruckus, that stemmed from his childhood home.

By narrowing his eyes, he could glimpse Joss who swiftly killed a trotash. Seeing the creature die by his own sword, made Joss very satisfied with himself… For he had for a long time, held a grudge against its kind for attacking him brutally as a child, and also for being the element that made his sister’s path brutally twist.

Joss admired his kill for a moment, till he noticed his sister gawking at him from below. “Hi, Mirabelle! It’s good to see that you could come!”. Joss jumped off the roof and dangled the trotash in front of William’s face, saying, “Look! I’ve got one!... And look at this! It also had four eggs! Isn’t that wonderful?”.

William praised his brother for the effort and wanted them to quickly head inside but Joss stopped him midway. He came close and whispered, “Actually, I was wondering… Can you cook this?... You see, I don’t trust Jacqueline to handle the food anymore… And I really want to eat this, so…”. Hearing this request made William feel insulted.

He asked in a bitter tone, “Can it be that you only invited me over so that I could cook this trotash for you?..”. Joss widened his eyes, stunned by this remark. He quickly responded, “How can that be? This celebration is to be had with one’s family!... And your part of mine… At least as long as father is away, you are welcome to stop by...”.

Sizing up the trotash made William believe he could fulfill Joss’ request. So he took the bird with a yank and walked into the house. This place wasn’t exactly filled to the brim with good memories, so with each step, William felt slightly more nervous. What would await him? Perhaps Jacqueline already stood in the living room with a knife, ready to assassinate them both the moment they stepped inside!?

To William’s surprise, the scene he met was actually very peaceful?... The house was clean and warm with children’s’ laughter spilling from Joss’ room. William stood dazed, thinking back to when Vanessa was here. She made this place more appealing to live in…

“Are you okay?”, Joss asked while he stomped snowflakes off his boots. “Yeah…”, his sister muttered.

The blood from the trotash was beginning to drip on the floor. Each drop was like a timer, that soon summoned the mother of the house. When Jacqueline stepped in and saw the young girl, she immediately felt jealous… She could deduce that although this girl was young and underdeveloped, she was going to become a beauty one day…

Jacqueline scoffed at the thought. Because to her, having good looks was both a strength and a weakness... When you’re on top you can delve into pools of desire and gold. But as soon as someone surpasses you… You’re doomed… She knew this fact, better than anyone else. For if it hadn’t been for a certain someone taking her place, she wouldn’t have ended in this miserable home to begin with!...

Jacqueline glared at the birdlike dinosaur and was about to take it but Joss wouldn’t let her. He yelped like a pup, “Don’t! I promised Mirabelle that she would get the honor of preparing dinner tonight… You can look after the children or something…”. Jacqueline gave Joss a cold stare. Not knowing what was worse: Having her ‘husband’ lead the house or this greenhorn?

The well-matured woman decided to let the kids be and thus she went out of their sight. This made Joss relieved. He threw his cloak away and clapped his hands to let his blood flow better, “I’m going to inform the children that you’re here. Be prepared to be attacked!”.

William gulped… He couldn’t believe it! He was supposed to cook while curious children flocked him to death? Wasn’t this supposed to be his day off!?... William sighed deeply...

The day darkened as Joss lifted a cauldron off the fire, filled with William’s trotash stew. It went with a *clunk* unto the table. Around it sat every member of the household, including their guest. Before they ate, William had to save face, so he reminded them that, “I’m not used to cooking large portions, so please bear with me if the taste is a bit weird!..”.

Jacqueline was the first to take a sip and seemed to find it edible. Her son also ate up. The twins, however, seemed a bit scared of strangers, so it took them some time to lift their spoons and taste it. Or maybe ‘scared’ wasn’t the right word to describe their behavior with? Reserved was more like it...

William had also observed, that the twins didn’t want to share too much about themselves and felt the most secure in their own company... So why exactly had Joss warned him of the kids’ attack? Were they just hiding their true selves, when in the presence of strangers or?... William could feel a clump accumulate inside his heart, thus he chose to drop the topic...

As they ate, William had also been keeping a sharp eye on Jacqueline and her sneaky little hands!... Because she had tried to ‘poison’ his brother’s food before. And why wouldn’t she do it now, when the perfect scapegoat was right next to her?...

William kept taking quick glances at Jacqueline. He was hoping to catch this evil stepmother sprinkle some interesting ingredients into their food. But instead, he soon discovered an ominous scar...

It was only visible when her sleeves slid up, but this happened enough times for William to confirm its existence… As for why he found it ominous? Well, she didn’t have that scar the last time he saw her and it looked like it came from something that had been wrapped tightly around her wrist. William began peeking more at this woman. And the more he looked the more subtle scars he found. Some, which made him lose his appetite…

17