Chapter 80: He shouldn’t come back…
502 7 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As William ate he pondered on those scars. The last spoonful was almost wringing his stomach into puking. He didn’t want these abstract thoughts to ruin the dinner, so he tried to distract himself by asking Joss, “So Joss?... I haven’t seen you around the castle lately… How come?”.

Joss slowed his mouth and rinsed it. He had to come to terms with reality. But this didn’t mean saying it out loud would leave his pride intact, “Well… As it stands I’m no longer an official knight in training, because father has been stripped of his rank. Hehe… I’m getting pushed out of the circle too. But!... That doesn’t mean I’m not busy! I’ve decided that I’m going to become a farmer instead!”.

William gaped in shock. To think this was Joss’ future!?.. Although Joss was a bonded, being a farmer could still turn into strenuous work, not to mention it didn’t give good pay.

How was he supposed to support this family of five? Or three, when the troublemakers have been kicked out? William was truly afraid that this responsibility, of running a household alone without a housewife to handle the sewing, cooking, and childcare would churn his brother into nothing more than dust, both in body and mind! Especially if he was poor! That way he wouldn’t be able to just buy the things he needed.

So he quickly suggested something entirely different, “How about asking the castle’s carving master if he will take you in as his apprentice? Then perhaps you could also become a carver since you’re so talented at it?... At least you’ll earn a lot more than a farmer would and it’s not as demanding… Besides, there’s also something else I’d like to add…”. Before coming clean, William shot a glance at Jacqueline.

He had some doubts but thought: To heck with it!... So he continued to lay out his proposal, “I’ve decided that I would like to support you with the money I earn as a castle servant. And you can’t deny it! You must take it! But of course If… If father returns I’ll have to redraw”.

Hearing this blew Joss into silence. To think William had such confidence in his talent… And would even give away his earnings for him… It made Joss feel inexplicably happy! But before he could inquire whether William really thought the carver would be interested, Jacqueline busted in with a stale, “He can’t do that…”.

“And why not?”, William fumed with objection. Jacqueline cleaned her son’s mouth before explaining, “Because dear child, life isn’t that easy… Why would this master carver take in someone like Joss? His father is-... was a knight and his forefathers a group of proud farmers. Going so far as to become a carver… That’s just ridiculous!”.

William shivered with passion, exclaiming, “Of course he can do it! And he has the power to try! Or have you forgotten that he is the leader of this household now?”. Jacqueline’s pretty face twisted into distortion. Having this meaker kid tell her to step down into her place was more than insulting and yet she had to comply and redraw.

Seeing that Jacqueline waved the white flag, did make William feel pity for this housewife who had to be silenced, but right now Joss was more important! Thus William continued to encourage, “Joss, before you’re no longer allowed to wander about the castle, go and find him. I’m sure he’ll accept you once he sees those carvings you’ve made”.

Joss hesitated at first. But the longer they talked about this matter, the more motivated he got. Jacqueline, on the other hand, felt more depressed hearing about the castle. She sincerely wished she had stayed there and not been picked out by her sister… Before William had to leave, Joss was ripe for the undertaking. He was glad that his brother was so moved by his speech but by focusing all his attention on Joss, William had totally forgotten to spare Jacqueline’s scars another thought. It was truly a shame…

If only he had just coaxed her enough she would have spilled everything. For Jacqueline was beyond depressed at how her life had spiraled down into a pit... And everybody needs to vent sometimes…

The first punch that split her heart into two, was when a pompous lass came to knock her from her place besides lord Blaise! She had for a couple of years indulged herself as his mistress. But those days didn’t last...

The second punch, landed the moment she got obtained as a servant by her own sister!... It almost forced her constantly to see the despairing difference between the two… That Vanessa had found a stable love, whereas she could only wallow in pity... Thus a once gentle love turned into scorn...

Then out of the blue, a healing aid appeared to give her strength once more. Suddenly she became a wife to the man she once viewed as unachievable. The man she could only lust after as a young maiden, and the one her sister managed to charm instead. But look who’s laughing now?...

At first, this wonderful man was her new pillar in life!... Sadly her Illusions got broken during their marriage. Even to this day, she laments not heeding the first warning sign she saw; drenched and vividly carved into his own daughter’s face... Jacqueline knew at the time that William was an outcast, but she still feared for the safety of her own child. Not knowing she should also have feared for herself.

Soon she found out that although the father was often kind and loving, he would also regularly lash out at her, due to his overflowing emotions and supposed honor… The horror was in how creative he could be at times… She will never forget the time he came after her with an axe. Just because she teased him for going on duty naked, he flipped out on her with no restraints! Afterward, he said that he was just teasing her back, that he never meant to harm her, but the scar she attained on her wrist for trying to block the attack proved him wrong... This husband of hers was insane!...

Jacqueline had been left in the dark. She would never have guessed, that the father had merely shifted victim and had always been manipulative towards his lovers. Even towards his once-beloved Vanessa, although perhaps not as fervently. These were different times after all. Times where he had a lot of pressure on his shoulders!...

This behavior of treating women like potential punching bags was a trait he had inherited from his own father. An upbringing he had tried to pass on to Joss as well, but it had somehow failed…

Luckily for Jacqueline, this pit of darkness didn’t stay bleak for long. She had already found her new and much more powerful pillar in life: Namely her son. And of course, this pillar had to be on top to shine the brightest. She wouldn’t rest until he was!

This dream of inheriting the household as her own wasn’t something new. It had always laid dormant in her mind, as it was a harmful pursuit. But with every abuse, she suffered from the father her grudge grew stronger. Strong enough to kill to achieve her dreams. She was finally filled with enough hatred to courageously stand up for herself…

Her hatred was like a spider’s web. It didn’t stop at the center but manifested itself into his spawn and all that wasn’t hers! Viewing everything as black, she would gladly get rid of the other children to make this household her future nest.

But things were not as simple as that anymore… Her former plan was to use the father to make money for them until her son could shoulder those responsibilities. In the meantime, she would take her time picking out the weeds. Making his children die one by one from mysterious causes. She couldn’t help but wonder: What a delightful sight it would have been, to see that man suffer as he fed the wolf that was biting him to death…

Yet that infuriating scumbag had to fail his job and now she was reluctantly dependent on Joss to keep the household alive… God must be watching over her on this one. For if she had succeeded in murdering Joss, she would have been in an awful pickle right now...

As for the father?... Jacqueline wasn’t concerned about him anymore… Whether he returned back or not. She would make sure he regretted it either way… And as for Joss… She would make him work for her until he had served his purpose. Then make him fade away as it was meant to be!... She viewed herself as innocent in this case... It wasn’t her, but the entire world that was evil!... Her actions were just!...

But of course, this last bit about wiping out old blood and replacing it with her own, was something that would never leave her lips. Especially not to William. But her sorrows and the mistreatment she had suffered, wouldn’t damage her image. Instead, it would strengthen it and hopefully gain the pity of others!

Alas, no one seemed to care…

16