Chapter 84: Dark dreams
452 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Since Brice had become such a womanizer, William wanted to put some restraints on said person’s playful tendencies. So he jokingly told the boy: “Surely you have both heard of tales of mermaids, right? But how about snakewomen?”. Avian shook his head, while Brice didn’t seem to care for such fables.

“What exactly is a snakewoman?... Perhaps a snake with a woman’s face?”, Avian asked. Mystic tales like these were commonly shared for fun, which made Avian want to guess along.

William gloated. He was happy to see that at least one of them showed interest in his lies. He continued saying, “Well, according to legend they look and act just like any other female. The only exception is that they tend to freeze... Because of their low body temperature, they will sweetly ask you to cuddle them. This seems all nice and innocent at first... That is until their limbs start to stretch into abnormal lengths. Slowly without your notice, they’ll wrap you into a death's embrace! Strangling you according to their other halves desire! But hey! At least one’s death is cozy, right? For normally you wouldn’t get the honor of dying in a woman’s arms, haha”.

Avian smiled and commented, “True, but I’d rather die in battle”. That was dandy and all but William wanted to see Brice’s reaction. To his disappointment, there was yet again: None!

William couldn’t comprehend this! Had Remony lied to him? Or had Brice simply grown out of this bad habit?...

The center of attention seemed focused on something entirely different. Brice glanced up and down at William and asked, “... Why exactly are you wearing a helmet for practice? Are you really that afraid of getting blows to your face?”. William had been ready for that kind of question since the day he dawned on this armor!

So he gave Brice an immediate reply, filled with newfound energy, “Ah! That’s because when the bandits attacked us the first time, they didn’t find it entertaining enough to murder my father, and since my mother had been long dead, they decided to rearrange my face a little… Luckily I survived it… But ever since then, people have been repulsed to gander at me. Henceforth, I decided to wear my father’s helmet every time I went outside, as to not cause further harm to my family’s dignity…”. William felt that when making up these kinds of stories, it was better to go big and hit home than make up something dull and get killed for it.

The boys in the background that heard of this, felt slightly guilty for having ridiculed him in the past. Because they could easily put themselves in his shoes. Being ugly was one thing but being so ghastly unattractive that it could harm your whole family’s image!? Who would happily saunter about showing off their mug with such repercussions at stake?

Brice held the same expression as before. His only comment being; “Keh!... It doesn’t surprise me that those bandits would stoop so low, just to have some measly fun…”.

On the other hand, Avian kicked the dirt awkwardly. Soon the once lively conversation had now turned painfully stale. Therefore, it didn’t take long for the small group to split up and continue with their daily routines.

Brice however, didn’t leave the area immediately.

He found that there was definitely something fishy about this page. So he went over to the instructor and asked, “Solomon, I can’t help but wonder why William hasn’t gone out to fetch a dinosaur for himself yet? I mean, it’s not like we’re running out of territory for carnivores to roam in, like some other clans that have implemented taxes and certain restrictions on dinosaur owners… He should be able to have one right? So... Why not?..”.

This question was a passionate one from Brice’s side. He had a strong fixation with bonded relationships these days... He especially couldn’t stand it, when someone didn’t use this privilege they had and instead squandered it away!

Solomon wanted to cover for William since he had grown fond of the boy these days but he also had to be honest to his masters. Reluctantly he explained, “That is… I’m afraid it’s because William’s master is no longer with us…”. Brice lowered his piercing gaze, “I see… So it’s because he lacks a master to journey with him and-...”. Brice felt a flash of intelligence stop his rambling. Now he had another question he needed answering. More urgently than before, “Then how come he’s here?”.

Solomon rummaged around for his book to show Brice the outdated registration of Sir Ger Persmith. “I sincerely ask for your pardon, my lord!... Sir Ger is my deceased friend… I felt moved by his sentiments to take in such a promising disciple only to die shortly after. Leaving the poor fella with crushed dreams… Therefore, I selfishly promised William, that he could stay and practice with us until perhaps a new master could take him in… But I’m afraid that’ll never happen…”. 

Solomon glanced at the little page clad in well-beaten armor and sighed, “Regrettably there isn’t a knight on this island who would willingly accept a new student. They’re all booked, including me... So, please my lord! Let him stay until this year ends. That way he’ll have no regrets if he should have to resign from his pursuit of becoming a knight… And I can assure you that my intentions are pure! I solely do this for the honor of my departed friend!”.

The instructor’s gaze lingered on the young master. Seeking his understanding. But none was found on the lord’s face. Instead, it was rather stiff. Brice quickly felt the need to leave the grounds and thus he left the instructor with the words; “Sure you do…”.

 

 

****

 

 

Summer that year, wasn’t as suffocating and sweat-inducing as the one before it. Often a cool breeze would gently sweep over the villager’s houses. Ventilating those who worked hard all day long and those who sought a merciful sleep at night.

One of those peasants had been so proud of his work, that he made it sit at the bottom of his bed. The peaceful sculpt seemed to ward away all evil-spirits, making sleep come much faster.

Soon he wouldn’t have to lock his room either. He had found the perfect place to formally bid his step-mother and her son goodbye, who didn’t suspect a thing. They naively thought that Joss wouldn’t be brave enough to ban them, just because this act would enrage his father...

Joss grunted as he flung his quilt away unto the ground. Happily convinced that it would leave him more comfortable but soon he began to freeze. Amidst the shivers, he had an oddly realistic dream. He dreamt that he went down for his quilt to cuddle with it once again. While he did he took a peek at his mother’s likeness. It was then, he realized that something was horribly wrong with it.

For the usual reddish sheen, it originally had, had grown pale like dead skin. The eyes were no longer half-open but shot wide with visible eyeballs, bulging out way too far... It was especially jarring how they each looked in a different direction!

Joss screamed loudly in his dream. Thinking that this was the head’s final form but it wasn’t… It slowly but surely transformed its features into his father’s… Joss was no longer looking at Vanessa’s head sculpt but his father’s decapitated head! It was missing its body and thus it should be dead but it actually managed to smile eerily and croak, “I’m back!”...

Hearing the corpse talk, Joss flew off the bed both in his dream and in reality. He panted furiously, covered in a cold sweat like some slimy frog as he laid on the floor.

On that night, Joss could comfort himself with the sentence; “It was just a dream… Just a dream”.

And indeed that is was… A dream that embodied ill signs of warning…

18